Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? (/showthread.php?tid=9827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Warren Castille - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 03:13 PM)allgivenover Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 02:43 PM)Zhavi Wrote: When I want more of something (and I'm not finding it hard to rp like I am at the moment), I work to create a space where that sort of thing can flourish.  

I never thought of that before! I'll just hop back on my male Keeper Miqo'te and start a traditional clan based group that's highly matria-

Whoops.
What, exactly, is stopping you from making a Making Connections thread wanting to gather people to buck societal trends? I mean, there's a god damned Garlean FC and you're upset there's not a pre-existing off-beat RP culture for you? I said it in another thread today and it stands: Nobody here is obligated to cater their precious RP time serving someone else's need for a story. You want a traditional clan-based RP group? Then gtfo of the cities and go back to not being a part of traditional Eorzean society.

Whoops. No one's allowed to judge me, I've got my reasons for being more blunt than others.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Zhavi - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:43 PM)Zhavi Wrote: When I want more of something (and I'm not finding it hard to rp like I am at the moment), I work to create a space where that sort of thing can flourish.

I never thought of that before! I'll just hop back on my male Keeper Miqo'te and start a traditional clan based group that's highly matria-

Whoops.

First step: find someone to play the matriarch. You have specific wants. It's more likely you'll need to convince someone you know and trust to play this person. Alternatively, use a NPC placeholder and build around the role until you have someone to play it. Yes, playing with NPCs in game is a pain in the ass. How badly do you want this?

First step.5: set up some concrete goals, taglines -- the things that you want to remain even when things change as people come and go and the rp happens. These should be short and to the point.

Second step: find one or two other people to join you. At least one needs to be someone you trust to stick around -- this person is necessary because when you start looking at new people you have no idea how long they will stick around. Having someone to keep your plot threads moving and constant is utterly important.

Third step: recruit. Recruit, recruit, recruit. Super frustrating because you don't want just anyone -- you want people you'll enjoy writing with. This is, imo, the most time consuming. You have to send people pms, or else be prepared to be super patient hoping you run across people in game. Personally, I prefer ooc communication.

Fourth step: have a rp hook to draw people in that makes them excited to start with you. Collaborate with other rp plots (even if they're small and insular) if you can.

I could not find anyone doing the sort of rp I wanted to do in Limsa when I first joined. I spent so much time writing people, trying to work out rp times, trying to find people interested who wanted to work with me. It wasn't just luck that I found goodfellow, melkire, shay & enteris, ruru, hut and all the others who stuck with me -- it was time, and effort, and gradually expanding through contacts of contacts.

Yeah, what you want is a small subset of the rp community. I get that. Yeah, you have to work harder than others, I get that.

Either it's worth the trying, or it's not. And if you've already done all the above and still nothing, then I'd go back to the drawing board and start trying to figure out how to change how I approach people (am I somehow misrepresenting myself? am I not exciting enough? do I need another way of approaching people?), or what about the way I'm presenting things isn't appealing.

I'm sorry your experiences have been so frustrating.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Berrod Armstrong - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 03:21 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Whoops.
What, exactly, is stopping you from making a Making Connections thread wanting to gather people to buck societal trends? I mean, there's a god damned Garlean FC and you're upset there's not a pre-existing off-beat RP culture for you? I said it in another thread today and it stands: Nobody here is obligated to cater their precious RP time serving someone else's need for a story. You want a traditional clan-based RP group? Then gtfo of the cities and go back to not being a part of traditional Eorzean society.

Whoops. No one's allowed to judge me, I've got my reasons for being more blunt than others.
One may need to appeal to others to nourish that sort of initiative, and it seems that the poster in question is determined to do anything but.

ANYWAY. HIGHLANDERS. I'M CURIOUS. How do you roleplay your characters? Well-integrated into their respective pieces of Eorzea? Clinging to the ol' warrior tribe in the mountain ways? As pretty princesses? TELL ALL!

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Cato - 01-28-2015

To play the role of devil's advocate I think it's possible he's already tried appealing to people in the past and it met with little success. I wouldn't be terrible surprised. Heck, some of the people branded 'blunt and unkind' are the friendliest people I know in-game. On the other hand, some of those who desperately lace each word with sugar or just generally claim to be approachable have turned out to be the most manipulative and nasty individuals that I've ever encountered.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 03:26 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: ANYWAY. HIGHLANDERS. I'M CURIOUS. How do you roleplay your characters? Well-integrated into their respective pieces of Eorzea? Clinging to the ol' warrior tribe in the mountain ways? As pretty princesses? TELL ALL!

Clearly, only swords, axes, fists and grunts.

But that's a joke. (fake laughter here)

While Franz isn't a Highlander, he's still using the model of one in the game. I'd say he's fairly well-integrated into society. ...or as good a Garlean with some messed up memories could hope for. Some people seem to have even taken a liking to him some of the time. ...maybe one day he won't feel the need to hide that third eye with a glamour to feel comfortable in a group.

(01-28-2015, 03:29 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: To play the role of devil's advocate I think it's possible he's already tried appealing to people in the past and it met with little success. I wouldn't be terrible surprised. Heck, some of the people branded 'blunt and unkind' are the friendliest people I know in-game. On the other hand, some of those who desperately lace each word with sugar or just generally claim to be approachable have turned out to be the most manipulative and nasty individuals that I've ever encountered.

Quote: And if you've already done all the above and still nothing, then I'd go back to the drawing board and start trying to figure out how to change how I approach people (am I somehow misrepresenting myself? am I not exciting enough? do I need another way of approaching people?), or what about the way I'm presenting things isn't appealing.

I've had to go begging way too many times to think that there is literally no other person willing to do specific, small-appeal types of rp.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - allgivenover - 01-28-2015

Sarcasm aside Zhavi, I've been all up and down that road (aside from actually posting on the forums, I prefer to approach people more directly, anyway) and it's been ruined every single time. I frankly just got tired of trying after a year and a half.
I'm a picky RPer, and obviously I've considered doing it myself, but by now I'm so disgusted by my experiences that I just chose to give up entirely.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Aduu Avagnar - 01-28-2015

Eh, I have an entire NPC family group for Nako, I just don't have people to play them, though would be happy if people wanted to.

also, Zhavi, a while back, you commented about how a lot of fantasy developers just plop down a human culture and use that for /all/ people of that species, I know this is unrelated, but I suggest reading the Belgariad series by David Eddings, pretty much exclusively human, and all different cultures for the different nations.

(01-28-2015, 03:36 PM)allgivenover Wrote: Sarcasm aside Zhavi, I've been all up and down that road (aside from actually posting on the forums, I prefer to approach people more directly, anyway) and it's been ruined every single time. I frankly just got tired of trying after a year and a half.
I'm a picky RPer, and obviously I've considered doing it myself, but by now I'm so disgusted by my experiences that I just chose to give up entirely.

And there is no one that you respect as a rper, who you have either rped with yourself or seen as someone worthy of your time who is willing to roll an alt to rp with you?

Half of me wants to split into another thread or send you pms because I just can't wrap my head around that. I really can't. Tongue

I mean hell, I used to stalk people on the wiki. If I liked their writing and their ideas, I sent them a pm. I'm sure some of you remember how I would post on just about every single new person who showed up and showed interest in criminal activity or limsa. Yeah, most of the people I approached didn't work out. But I mean, I just -- this is such a big rp community. :/

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Cato - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 03:36 PM)allgivenover Wrote: Sarcasm aside Zhavi, I've been all up and down that road (aside from actually posting on the forums, I prefer to approach people more directly, anyway) and it's been ruined every single time. I frankly just got tired of trying after a year and a half.

My advice would be to not let it unsettle you too much. I can't offer you Miqo'te role-play but if you ever fancy crossing paths with a wandering Hyur than you're very welcome to poke me in-game sometime! I'm very fond of having two character cross paths out in the wilds so if that's an angle you'd like to explore - great!

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - FreelanceWizard - 01-28-2015

So, I suppose it's time for me to be more direct.

Zhavi is correct that the discussion about setting up specific RP that caters to specific groups should be a new thread, since it's off-topic here (and as someone whose FC arguably falls into that category, I have some thoughts on that. Smile ) Please feel free to start a new thread for it.

Less nicely, the one thing I'm not going to abide here is people taking shots at each other. If I see any more of that, it's going to be warnings and post deletion/thread locking time. We're having a good discussion; let's keep it nice and not ugly.

#magicAdminHat

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Iex - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 03:26 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: One may need to appeal to others to nourish that sort of initiative, and it seems that the poster in question is determined to do anything but.

ANYWAY. HIGHLANDERS. I'M CURIOUS. How do you roleplay your characters? Well-integrated into their respective pieces of Eorzea? Clinging to the ol' warrior tribe in the mountain ways? As pretty princesses? TELL ALL!

I am a firm believer that it is not the culture that defines the character. While aspects of a race should certainly brush some tone over their perspective of life and choices, it should not be the tool that chips away their monument of their life.

Unless, their life was in a highly regulated cultural thing.... then I guess uh?

However, I am also a firm believer that it is the life the character lives that will define how they are. A certain seeker we all know that likes his towers certainly isn't falling into tradition. If a character has lived a life where tradition and culture more... common to his race has less weight, he shouldn't actually end up being SUPER TRADITIONAL MAN. If he is, it should be a choice he makes based on his life rather than an archetype placed on the character.

In the case of my highlander... he may be from a certain lost nation that was destroyed by a certain mad leader, but he holds very little on to traditions and nationalism. This is HIS Eorzea not the land of men who now lay six feet underground.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Chris Ganale - 01-28-2015

As a self-titled ultra-loner who hates to do work getting RP, gripes all the time about going to fish for RP, always feels like an unwelcome outsider in well-established forums like this (and therefore feels that making use of the player connections forum would be a waste of bytes), and has admittedly written over half my characters into RP corners, I still take Chao to the QS at least once a week and fish for RP (badly; staring at one's notebook doesn't make for compelling bait).

Now that I think about it, there's really no point here and it doesn't contribute anything, but I'll leave it as a reminder to come back later and go into brief about some of my characters.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Gegenji - 01-28-2015

Sounds like we could easily segue into a philosophical debate on nature vs. nurture in regards to a character. One's nature (race) may incline it towards certain things, but how they are nurtured (family, friends, society in general) could skew them away from what people "expect" them to be.

(01-28-2015, 03:46 PM)Iex Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 03:26 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: One may need to appeal to others to nourish that sort of initiative, and it seems that the poster in question is determined to do anything but.

I am a firm believer that it is not the culture that defines the character. While aspects of a race should certainly brush some tone over their perspective of life and choices, it should not be the tool that chips away their monument of their life.

Unless, their life was in a highly regulated cultural thing.... then I guess uh?

However, I am also a firm believer that it is the life the character lives that will define how they are. A certain seeker we all know that likes his towers certainly isn't falling into tradition. If a character has lived a life where tradition and culture more... common to his race has less weight, he shouldn't actually end up being SUPER TRADITIONAL MAN. If he is, it should be a choice he makes based on his life rather than an archetype placed on the character.

In the case of my highlander... he may be from a certain lost nation that was destroyed by a certain mad leader, but he holds very little on to traditions and nationalism. This is HIS Eorzea not the land of men who now lay six feet underground.

Culture does not equate to species or race. Culture is usually more locative, though not necessarily (ex - some indigenous cultures in eastern russia and western alaska share more similarities than differences). All the same, the larger the disparity in place/local ecology/method of survival (nomadic cultures vs farming cultures etc) chances are the bigger the gap in cultures.

Culture is also the baseline of what everyone knows in terms of how they act around others and what they grew up believing. It defines certain behaviors. While, yes, as you get older you can choose to overrule some of these things, a lot of them stick with you. Were you taught that you should have a firm handshake? Look other people in the eyes when you talk to them? Greet people when you enter a room? Wish people well on an endeavor? Be comforting when someone you know is grieving? Those are all cultural, and there are a ton more. This is why diplomats are so important -- it can be terrifyingly easy to offend someone from a different culture without realizing it. Many cultures share similarities, true, and those similarities increase as globalization occurs, but just look back to first attempts at diplomacy between cultures to see how this wasn't the case (Lord Macartney's trip to China being a big one).

which is why I was like 'screw u square' and tossed just about everything written about keeper culture. Tongue