Hydaelyn Role-Players
Sex-work and Harmful Language - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Sex-work and Harmful Language (/showthread.php?tid=14177)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Sex-work and Harmful Language - Verad - 11-06-2015

(11-06-2015, 05:30 AM)McBeefâ„¢ Wrote:
(11-06-2015, 05:26 AM)Verad Wrote:
(11-06-2015, 05:24 AM)McBeefâ„¢ Wrote: YES!

I have said many times I have no issues calling people what they wish to be called. Fuck, I'm transgender, I of all people know what that's like.

However I also know that ONE PERSON DOES NOT SPEAK FOR ALL. And for now, unless I am told otherwise by an individual, I will refer to them with whatever word seems most generally acceptable. For now, for me, the most generally acceptable word for those who have sex for money is Prostitute. If they say "No, don't call me that" then that's fine, I'll call them whatever they wish.

It was never the personal preference of Pkthunda I took issue with, it was their leap of logic and arrogance that equated their personal preference with the personal preference of all who are involved with  "Sex Work."

That doesn't answer my question. What would convince you? Or are you saying nothing can convince you, ever?
What would convince me that Prostitute is a slur? 

If the majority of people I know who are involved in the industry told me as such.

Considering the fact that several current or former people involved in prostitution/sex work have chimed in on just this thread, and disagreed with the idea that 'Sex Worker' is the only appropriate term that should be used to refer to them, I think it's safe to say the jury is still out.

Do you contest that fact?

I contest it on the grounds of relying on anecdotal experience. I will be looking for broader swathes of data when it is not 3:30 in the morning.

RE: Sex-work and Harmful Language - McBeefâ„¢ - 11-06-2015

(11-06-2015, 05:33 AM)Verad Wrote:
(11-06-2015, 05:30 AM)McBeefâ„¢ Wrote:
(11-06-2015, 05:26 AM)Verad Wrote:
(11-06-2015, 05:24 AM)McBeefâ„¢ Wrote: YES!

I have said many times I have no issues calling people what they wish to be called. Fuck, I'm transgender, I of all people know what that's like.

However I also know that ONE PERSON DOES NOT SPEAK FOR ALL. And for now, unless I am told otherwise by an individual, I will refer to them with whatever word seems most generally acceptable. For now, for me, the most generally acceptable word for those who have sex for money is Prostitute. If they say "No, don't call me that" then that's fine, I'll call them whatever they wish.

It was never the personal preference of Pkthunda I took issue with, it was their leap of logic and arrogance that equated their personal preference with the personal preference of all who are involved with  "Sex Work."

That doesn't answer my question. What would convince you? Or are you saying nothing can convince you, ever?
What would convince me that Prostitute is a slur? 

If the majority of people I know who are involved in the industry told me as such.

Considering the fact that several current or former people involved in prostitution/sex work have chimed in on just this thread, and disagreed with the idea that 'Sex Worker' is the only appropriate term that should be used to refer to them, I think it's safe to say the jury is still out.

Do you contest that fact?

I contest it on the grounds of relying on anecdotal experience. I will be looking for broader swathes of data when it is not 3:30 in the morning.
Cool, so we have equal evidence Tongue

To be honest, this thread has already convinced me that Sex Worker is a better term for it, no argument there.

It hasn't convinced me prostitute is a slur, though, and I think it's hyperbole to claim it is.

RE: Sex-work and Harmful Language - V'aleera - 11-06-2015

(11-06-2015, 05:33 AM)Kiera Hawkeye Wrote: There's a mod on, right? I think this thread is done. Let's just stop.

The fact that you have posted this instead of directly reporting the thread through the appropriate moderation channels does not lend any sense of legitimacy to your concern about the well-being or lack thereof of the thread.

RE: Sex-work and Harmful Language - LiadansWhisper - 11-06-2015

(11-06-2015, 05:30 AM)tortles Wrote: Everyone I have met in this line of work refers to themselves as "sex workers". I've never heard someone say they were a "prostitute." And these are people who have sex with others for payment.

The question was whether or not the term "prostitute" was a slur. I don't think anyone here took (or takes) issue with the idea that if someone says, "I want to be referred to as this," we should refer to them as what they asked for if possible.

What I take issue with is one person telling me that all people that fall under a certain type of occupation consider a word that has heretofore been used as a legal definition (it's literally enshrined in the legal codes here, I have links!) a slur, and that I'm a bad person if I use it.

Then I get links to a website as proof, only on the website they use that very slur like it ain't no thang. But the existence of this site is proof that the person claiming this word is a slur is correct...even though it's used over and over and over again, and never indicated to be a slur on that site.

I'm just really done. I've hit my limit of tumblr for the day. Bedtime now.

(11-06-2015, 05:37 AM)V Wrote:
(11-06-2015, 05:33 AM)Kiera Hawkeye Wrote: There's a mod on, right? I think this thread is done. Let's just stop.

The fact that you have posted this instead of directly reporting the thread through the appropriate moderation channels does not lend any sense of legitimacy to your concern about the well-being or lack thereof of the thread.
One disadvantage of No Mod's Land is that some people don't seem to have the ability to differentiate between it and other subforums.

RE: Sex-work and Harmful Language - Kiera Hawkeye - 11-06-2015

(11-06-2015, 05:38 AM)McBeefâ„¢ Wrote:

One disadvantage of No Mod's Land is that some people don't seem to have the ability to differentiate between it and other subforums.
Well, add to the fact that I've also had plenty to drink tonight doesn't help with the fact that I have no idea what V said. I'll try reporting this through the appropriate channels then. Sorry mods if my report is just a mess of words.

(11-06-2015, 05:41 AM)Kiera Hawkeye Wrote:
(11-06-2015, 05:38 AM)McBeefâ„¢ Wrote:

Well, add to the fact that I've also had plenty to drink tonight doesn't help with the fact that I have no idea what V said. I'll try reporting this through the appropriate channels then. Sorry mods if my report is just a mess of words.
Drink lots of water before you go to sleep. Your liver will thank you.

RE: Sex-work and Harmful Language - Lydia Lightfoot - 11-06-2015

(11-06-2015, 05:32 AM)Verad Wrote:
(11-06-2015, 05:31 AM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote:
(11-06-2015, 05:26 AM)Verad Wrote: That doesn't answer my question. What would convince you? Or are you saying nothing can convince you, ever?

If one person wrote a lengthy diatribe on a forum denouncing the use of the word "sidewalk" because it is sometimes used by people with wheelchairs, Rascals, and other mobility devices utilized by people who can not walk... and so this one person expresses that, on behalf of all people who can't walk, they want everyone who reads the message to refer to sidewalks instead as "concrete path"... 

...would you be convinced by that one person, and forever after use only the term "concrete path"?

Or are you being hypocritical?

Sell me.

Calling shenanigans on your entire argument, then, if that's your reply, because you're belittling McBeef's position on the basis that she should heed the will of a single person, and she is clearly unsold toward that person's perspective. 

So. Don't tell me I have to sell you on something and then turn around and tell her that she should have to abide by something she hasn't been sold. 

Shenanigans.

(11-06-2015, 05:42 AM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote: So. Don't tell me I have to sell you on something and then turn around and tell her that she should have to abide by something she hasn't been sold. 

Shenanigans.

Verad hasn't done that though. He's simply asked at what point will enough evidence have been accumulated to change an opinion.

(11-06-2015, 05:48 AM)V Wrote:
(11-06-2015, 05:42 AM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote: So. Don't tell me I have to sell you on something and then turn around and tell her that she should have to abide by something she hasn't been sold. 

Shenanigans.

Verad hasn't done that though. He's simply asked at what point will enough evidence have been accumulated to change an opinion.
That is impossible to quantify and differs for every person.

The only way to know is to look back once it has been changed and go "Ah, that's what did it."

The human mind is a strange, binary thing.

I was just clarifying on what he did and did not do. I'd agree that the question isn't one that most people would be equipped to answer to that level of specificity without a couple years of intensive introspection and psychiatric consultation.

RE: Sex-work and Harmful Language - Vash - 11-06-2015

This whole post got me likeee 
[Image: j85Ejqy.gif]

Mod Note: User was placed on post moderation for this post.

(11-06-2015, 05:52 AM)V Wrote: I was just clarifying on what he did and did not do. I'd agree that the question isn't one that most people would be equipped to answer to that level of specificity without a couple years of intensive introspection and psychiatric consultation.
This begs another important question though.

Valllll when are we gonna rp again :3 !

RE: Sex-work and Harmful Language - Lydia Lightfoot - 11-06-2015

(11-06-2015, 05:48 AM)V Wrote:

Shenanigans.

No, he's attempting to call her out for not heeding the commandment of a single person's complaint, yet when I present him with situation of someone who could make another PC Nomenclature complaint, and ask him if the single person's commandment would be sufficient for him to obey, he won't answer my question plainly.

Shenanigans.

RE: Sex-work and Harmful Language - Kiera Hawkeye - 11-06-2015

(11-06-2015, 05:52 AM)V Wrote: I was just clarifying on what he did and did not do. I'd agree that the question isn't one that most people would be equipped to answer to that level of specificity without a couple years of intensive introspection and psychiatric consultation.
I REPORTED IT TO THE PROPER AUTHORITES. 

let's get this thread shut down. Cactuar

Mod Note: User was placed on post moderation for this post and subsequent posts.