Hydaelyn Role-Players
Post here if you want to be a brat - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Post here if you want to be a brat (/showthread.php?tid=9690)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Gegenji - 02-25-2015

(02-25-2015, 10:47 AM)Coatleque Wrote: Computers have been a staple of our lives for almost 20 years now.  If you don't know the difference between the 'address' bar and the 'search' bar, GTFO of the internet.

So tired of spoon feeding people over the phone how to browse to a simple web page.

Shortly after I got out of the military, I enrolled in a college to get my degree. Military covering it and all that, so why not. One of the first classes I got was Introduction to Computers... COMP100 or something like that (though that course number could also be Intro to Composition, I can't recall exactly). It was a required course for the programming degree I was going for.

I come in on the first day, sit down, and it opens with "How to create and use a folder." Like, Right-Click->New->Folder. That. We were being taught how to do that. And I actually had to HELP the girl next to me with both that and the introduction of "dragging stuff into folders."

But yeah. Once I found out that this was basically what the course was, I put up my hand and asked "Um, can I test out of this course?" Fortunately, I could, and the hardest part of it was a few questions about Excel. However, there are honestly people who don't know how this stuff works. It's mind-boggling, sure, but it happens.

But, seriously, you'd figure it'd be easier to just... ask a neighbor or a friend or a family member. There must be someone in your social circle you can approach to get such basic questions answered.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - ChewableMorphine - 02-25-2015

When your boss uses scumstrats to force you to quit because her image is too damn high to fire anybody. I specifically stated a week ahead of time that I cannot make it this saturday to work, so I requested it off, as well as the fourth of march so I can attend my mother's birthday. So I get no other shifts but the saturday and 4th shift, my boss being fully aware that if I can't make it in I'm out of a job, effectively giving grounds to terminate me: disposable teenage minimum wage worker. Clever bitch. Fuck you.

[youtube]TO5wryDdEI0[/youtube]

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Khoure - 02-25-2015

Let me preface this rant by mentioning that I'd never actually follow through on these urges, and I know the thoughts I get are wrong and very unfair to my fellow human, so trust me, I'm not an asshole. But at the same time, I can't really control getting those urges in the first place, short of hightailing it out of there. I guess this is less "why humanity" and more "why brain why". It is still IRL tho, so on topic?

Show Content

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Kage - 02-25-2015

People in my generation / class range have actually never touched a computer except for in libraries. Possibly in computer labs. I think we forget that computers for the longest time were very much luxuries and that we were privileged to be able to use them.

Is it frustrating to need to explain to people things we find extremely simple? Yes.

You would expect them to have picked up something over the 5 years they worked on the machine? Yes.

Should they have taken Notes? Yes.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-25-2015

(02-25-2015, 11:10 AM)Khoure Wrote: Let me preface this rant by mentioning that I'd never actually follow through on these urges, and I know the thoughts I get are wrong and very unfair to my fellow human, so trust me, I'm not an asshole. But at the same time, I can't really control getting those urges in the first place, short of hightailing it out of there. I guess this is less "why humanity" and more "why brain why". It is still IRL tho, so on topic?

Show Content

yes. YES. ALL OF IT SO MUCH. You have described a person I live with. But might I add. Oatmeal. Lip-smacking. And demon noodles (instant ramen). When this person eats, I usually immediately reach for anything that can make noise. (Usually computer headset or headphones). ...if I can't think of a good excuse for a song, I put on white noise. Sweet, blissful, white noise.

My mother works in the same semiconductor manufacturing place that I do. Occasionally I eat lunch with her.

... I keep trying to tell her in Mandarin (most people are Vietnamese here, next subsets are Mexicans or Filipino) to close her mouth when she's chewing or to not speak when she's got food in her mouth still. It's gross. And sometimes I'm sitting right in front of her and :c

I eat with my mouth open... sometimes? Sad

I'm pretty sure I don't do it much anymore, but I can't say I've never not done it (and I'm not so bold to state that I never do it now, I'm sure there's a couple cases where I still do that just slip my mind). I think my biggest offender with it when I was younger was with mashed potatoes. And I love me my mashed potatoes, so I got a stern talking to more than once. Blush

I do make sure to never talk when my mouth is full, though. Which has led to me sometimes being asked to hurry up and finish eating because I spent more time in conversation than actually working on the meal.

Yeah I can't say that 100% stopped but I will say that after experiencing how it can appear I strive not to. Occasionally something will get stuck in my teeth that I can't quite subtly get rid of before finishing the meal.

I just think... try to cover your mouth if you need to talk and there's food

(02-25-2015, 11:49 AM)Gegenji Wrote: I eat with my mouth open... sometimes? Sad

I'm pretty sure I don't do it much anymore, but I can't say I've never not done it (and I'm not so bold to state that I never do it now, I'm sure there's a couple cases where I still do that just slip my mind). I think my biggest offender with it when I was younger was with mashed potatoes. And I love me my mashed potatoes, so I got a stern talking to more than once. Blush

It's probably impossible to be 100% quiet while eating, and there will always be times mouths are open. ...it's when it's for everything eaten it can get bad. ...especially if meals are otherwise eaten in silence. (I'm one of those people that requires loud noise while eating to drain out the eating sounds. "Quiet" family dinners are not quiet.)

And mashed potatoes make everything better. Always. Unless someone is trying to slurp them or something.

(02-25-2015, 11:44 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(02-25-2015, 11:10 AM)Khoure Wrote: Let me preface this rant by mentioning that I'd never actually follow through on these urges, and I know the thoughts I get are wrong and very unfair to my fellow human, so trust me, I'm not an asshole. But at the same time, I can't really control getting those urges in the first place, short of hightailing it out of there. I guess this is less "why humanity" and more "why brain why". It is still IRL tho, so on topic?

Show Content

yes. YES. ALL OF IT SO MUCH. You have described a person I live with. But might I add. Oatmeal. Lip-smacking. And demon noodles (instant ramen). When this person eats, I usually immediately reach for anything that can make noise. (Usually computer headset or headphones). ...if I can't think of a good excuse for a song, I put on white noise. Sweet, blissful, white noise.

(02-25-2015, 11:46 AM)Kage Wrote: My mother works in the same semiconductor manufacturing place that I do. Occasionally I eat lunch with her.

... I keep trying to tell her in Mandarin (most people are Vietnamese here, next subsets are Mexicans or Filipino) to close her mouth when she's chewing or to not speak when she's got food in her mouth still. It's gross. And sometimes I'm sitting right in front of her and :c

That must suck so much, I can't imagine it. The worst is, if it were just gross and annoying, it would be one thing. But it's never just that. There's that completely out of character intense anger, the actual violent urges (I wasn't actually using hyperbole unfortunately, the dissonance between "I want to watch you cry with pain I inflicted" and "what in the holy eff is wrong with me" isn't fun). The stress of being unable to stop those feelings, unable to focus on anything else, and unable to not listen for the next sound. And the times where it's panic instead are also hell, like sometimes you're just flinching every time you hear it because the urge to react is so strong. My roommates friend last year liked to do the things I described earlier and now I'm wired to despise her voice at all times because there were so many memories of being subjected to that stress and being unable to escape because it was in my room. She came over to eat almost every day during exam season, and I just could not handle it, since my good headphones had broken and there was nothing to block the sound

(02-25-2015, 11:49 AM)Gegenji Wrote: I eat with my mouth open... sometimes? Sad

I do make sure to never talk when my mouth is full, though. Which has led to me sometimes being asked to hurry up and finish eating because I spent more time in conversation than actually working on the meal.

oh don't worry, I know certain levels of noise can't be helped. Mentally, I completely get it. I know the fault of these reactions are my brain and not "those filthy mouth breathers" or anything. What I'm talking about is a weird sort of disconnect where part of me is completely irrational and the other part understands that food eating is a natural thing, everyone does it, and you can't think worse of them for it (but not able to stifle said irrational part). And yeah, I may not be able to control it but it is more manageable when people make basic efforts to not be loud.

(02-25-2015, 12:04 PM)Khoure Wrote:
(02-25-2015, 11:44 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

Show Content

(02-25-2015, 11:46 AM)Kage Wrote: My mother works in the same semiconductor manufacturing place that I do. Occasionally I eat lunch with her.

That must suck so much, I can't imagine it. The worst is, if it were just gross and annoying, it would be one thing. But it's never just that. There's that completely out of character intense anger, the actual violent urges (I wasn't actually using hyperbole unfortunately, the dissonance between "I want to watch you cry with pain I inflicted" and "what in the holy eff is wrong with me" isn't fun). The stress of being unable to stop those feelings, unable to focus on anything else, and unable to not listen for the next sound. And the times where it's panic instead are also hell, like sometimes you're just flinching every time you hear it because the urge to react is so strong. My roommates friend last year liked to do the things I described earlier and now I'm wired to despise her voice at all times because there were so many memories of being subjected to that stress and being unable to escape because it was in my room. She came over to eat almost every day during exam season, and I just could not handle it, since my good headphones had broken and there was nothing to block the sound

On the days it's really bad, I have to notify the person. Then I usually try to seclude myself. anywhere. I could not imagine being stuck in a classroom while it happened. (Thankfully, the schools I went to all had very strict "do not eat in this room" rules that were enforced.)

So, after almost T-boning (Is that the proper term? When your car slams headfirst into the side of their car?) a lady while trying to get myself some derishus Chipotle for lunch, I got another ranty-rant of the automotive variety: drivers who seem to completely miss/ignore posted signs and markings.

Those that pass on one-lane roads when it's still double-lines, single-occupant cars in the HOV lane when it's still an HOV lane, completely normal people parking in handicapped spaces. Those drivers that are either a car and half away from the line at a traffic light or that have slowly crept their way almost halfway into the intersection (and not the left-turn folks, neither). You know the types.

Heck, I get miffed when people don't even follow proper stop sign protocol. I don't mean the rolling stops - if there's no one else coming, slowing down to make sure before making the turn doesn't really bother me. But, like, isn't it an unwritten rule or something that it's like FIFO (First In, First Out) stack in coding? The first person who stops gets to go, then the next person who stopped and so on? And if you both stop at the same time, priority goes to the one on the left?

Am I crazy for trying to obey these things?

In the case of the lady that I mentioned at the start, I was in those little circular areas where those who are entering are supposed to yield to those in the circle. Apparently this lady didn't give a flying fig because I swear she came at the circle (LEAVING A SHOPPING CENTER, mind you) going at least 40/50. It was only when she realized that her dinky little car would get run over by my SUV that she actually came to a stop (I had slowed down some, expecting her to blow on through, actually). NOT the best situation to have during a lunch break.

... And, oddly enough, all this stuff about following markings goes back to one of my earlier complaints about people who can't park properly. Yes, I'll complain about it again. HOW HARD IS IT TO PUT YOUR VEHICLE WITHIN THE TWO WHITE LINES? Over a line or at an angle? BACK OUT AND TRY AGAIN.

I swear.

Mmmm chipotle. (At least one of my former statics will joke about me and chipotle. Also I will never live down having let Olive Garden go bad and still eating it. Ask me about that story later).

Are you talking about roundabouts? They confuse me. As a Los Angeles Driver, we don't really have those D: In fact, I think the one time I've seen them is in Pasadena. @_@;

People! Please forget that in California your right turn is almost always starting in the right most lane and ending in the right most lane :v. Change lanes when safe.

RE: RANT ABOUT IRL THINGS AKA HUMANITY WHY - Kage - 02-26-2015

So I was reading an article that made me /palm.

An Accident and Emergency nurse gets a call from her teenage daughter's school that she needs to go to school. She's told she really does need to go cause her daughter hit somebody. She gets an extremely snarky comment from the teacher or Principal about it's nice for her to finally meet with them (school, her daughter, the person she hit and that person's parents).

Teacher or principal stutter about when she tells them that OF COURSE SHE SHOULD TOTALLY DROP EVERYTHING while she STITCHES UP A BOY'S FACE (40 stitches) cause he was beat by his mom and TALKING TO THE POLICE!

What went down according to administrators: The other person, a young man, had snapped the daughter's bra several times. The daughter punched him twice in the face.

Mom's reaction is: So you want to know if I'll press sexual assault charges.
Administration: WHAT NO IT'S NOT THAT BAD. BUT LOOK SHE PUNCHED HIM!

Daughter details what happens: He snapped my bra several times. I asked him to stop. He didn't. I told the teacher and he told me to ignore it. When he did it again, he undid my bra so I punched him. Twice. He stopped.

Mom is understandably upset. Teacher did squat. She gives him several examples of things that he could do that are equal with what the boy did. The mom could undo his pants! The teacher should totally undo the Principal's bra. Or the boy's mom's.

But what is the administration's reaction? BUT MOM YOUR DAUGHTER HIT HIM!

All the glares in the world. I'm sure.
It's the same reaction with young people being bullied. You put up with it but you don't -deal- with it. Just take the licks.

Hey it's just a bra. You say no? No means yes! Keep on going! It's not like it's serious when someone tells you they don't want you doing something to their person.