Hydaelyn Role-Players
How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') (/showthread.php?tid=11487)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Caspar - 05-09-2015

I see it as the difference between a simple berserker rage and, like, Cu Chulainn's Warp Spasm. The rage actually transforms your mind and physical characteristics and gives you supernatural strength.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - No Longer Exists - 05-09-2015

(05-08-2015, 10:54 PM)KitKat Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 05:44 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: The only person who got told what to do was me, when I was told I had to accept it or I was destroying the community.

I'll ask you to kindly stop misrepresenting what I'm saying. I never said anything of the sort. I simply asked for the same respect that Nako'li gave in one of his posts. Instead of outright crossing a player off your list because they choose to play something, I'm suggesting that you give plausibility a try.

(05-08-2015, 07:24 AM)Black Hat Wrote: I hope that, by now, tempers have ebbed some because I saw some alarming leans from certain people. Leans that skirted dangerously close to socio-political "classist" statements. More intriguing (to me) is that these were NOT being instigated by the obvious parties....

With the exception of an outright demand made on one poster...

I hope neither of these lines refers to me. I never lost my temper, nor did I ever make any outright demands.

If this is the case, then yes. There's nothing wrong with asking someone to give something a chance. The concern spawns from one's refusal to accept the word "No". No means No.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Magistrea - 05-15-2015

My two pence on RP that I'm not keen on is to excuse myself either IC'ly or OOC'ly, if the need arises. If it's somewhere like the Quicksand, I'll likely just ignore it outright since I'm under no obligations to participate, same as everyone else. People can RP whatever the heck they want for all I care, just as long as they don't expect everyone to go along with it. To each their own.

I'm really not into the cringey tropes of all-powerful characters, Azure Dragoons, Padjal etc. It just isn't feasible with my interpretation of the lore. Now that isn't to say that I mind lore-bending. I actually find it interesting to see how other people have stretched the lore to fit their character concept, and it's something I enjoy seeing as opposed to a completely lore-friendly character because that person behind the screen took the time to develop their concept.

As for White Mages and other jobs (since that's what the topic has gravitated towards), sure. Go for it. A WHM from Shizuka's point of view (do they have the elementals in Othard? I presume they don't but that's my take), she wouldn't really have the knowledge to question it and would likely go along with it. However from Seraphina's or Damien's then you'd have to do a bit of explaining. But again, since they're both from Ishgard they wont really know how things work in Gridania, and so while they may need a bit of convincing they are okay with it.

I could be said to be "lore-breaking/bending" because Seraphina is a Scholar IC'ly since they are really glorified strategists who happen to have fairies siding them. Whether or not Sera has a Fairy is yet to be decided, but it's plausible. Damien however, is a knight so is job is Paladin. He isn't one IC though, he just wield a sword and shield.

To summarise, play what you want to play. In my opinion, nobody is obliged to RP with anyone else.