Hydaelyn Role-Players
Server Selection (Prelude) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Server Selection (Prelude) (/showthread.php?tid=153)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Asyria - 08-21-2010

I agree with Eva!
I hate when things are unnecessarily complicated. ^^;
(also, Zeromus is not really adorable... at all)

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kylin - 08-21-2010

Eh, I thought it was pretty straightforward and not complicated at all. As for why it changed from L to C, that was due to the concerns over how Sephiroth would have been our server choice had we used that system and the server names remained the same. But if we're going to vote on the current server names in case they don't change, I guess that's moot.

I don't really see how we could cut out #1. Having an official RP server is a huge deal that can't be simply ignored. However, I suppose we could cut down the other stuff a bit more.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - ArmachiA - 08-21-2010

The poll, for now, would really be just to eliminate fears. It's still a month off, but people are still going to be worried about it. If they feel like they're doing something, whether or not these servers stick, people will feel more at ease. So it's not like it's counter productive to have a poll even though we don't know if the server names will change.

If there are RP servers (which is something I highly doubt will happen), then it's pretty obvious we'll take one. IF there's more than one, we just need to say like "pick the first" or "pick the 2nd". Everything else can be put as Eva suggested, I think.

Also, I agree that a vote is pointless right now. We should wait for open beta, for sure.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kylin - 08-21-2010

Simply picking the "1st" or "2nd" may not be viable though. SE may put in measures to help keep servers from overloading, such as not putting them in alphabetical order and instead making them appear randomly on the selection screen.

For example, a typical selection screen may look like this:
Atomos
Chocobo (RP)
Cloud
Garland (RP)
Sephiroth

Based on the "pick the 2nd" rule, we'd go with Garland. HOWEVER, what if the list looks more like this?

Person 1:
Atomos
Chocobo (RP)
Cloud
Garland (RP)
Sephiroth

Person 2:
Garland (RP)
Chocobo (RP)
Cloud
Atomos
Sephiroth

Suddenly, the rule no longer works. The result? We end up with a divided RP community.

Hmmmm I see.
That only makes it more pointless to vote until last minute. ^^

In the end the server name really doesn't matter at all, other than us all being on the same one.
I say make the vote a 1 day thing and have it on Sept 20 so you can compile on Sept 21st and it's ready for people to log on Sept 22nd. Tongue

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Shamadconde - 08-21-2010

When we do the poll, (if we need to do the poll) is it possible to keep the results hidden until the deadline? That way there is no fighting between two factions of players (ARP anyone?) and it will be a poll of what people actually want instead of pushing the current leader.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Zane - 08-21-2010

I would just like to point out, from having finally seen Server selection in the beta, servers are not listed in a set, unchanging sequence. They are listed in order of population density. Golbez is currently the least populated, with Shadowlord being the most populated. I could go into why exactly I figured this out, but I need to go out and do something. If no one believes me, I will post my proof when I get home. It's fairly obvious though, if any one wants to go and create another character on Beta just to look at the Server selection, you'll understand.

So, do not count on picking a specific server in numerical order on the list. We will have to vote or go by the alphabet.

Upon examination,that seems to be true!
Ultimecia is somewhere in the middle with 2 chocobos, while Sephiroth and Shadowloard are at the end, with 3 chocobos.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Zane - 08-21-2010

Yeah, also, within the different groups, (I.E. 1, 2, or 3 chocobos) the servers are not listed in either Alphabetical order, nor are they listed in the order they were created (Server number order). It makes sense since a lot of people don't care what server they go to and will just pick the first server on the list. That way more people will go to the lower populated servers rather than scrolling all the way to the bottom where the high population servers are.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Eva - 08-21-2010

Here's a proposal then:

First, conduct the vote based on the existing 'villain' servers. If it will put everyone's mind at ease, when the game goes live if they actually stick with those names, we'll go to the one chosen by the community. I personally don't think this will be the case, but it seems like a lot of people are QQing over villain names, and as Armi said earlier it might put a lot of minds at ease. If you want to take this a step further, conduct a separate vote based on the avatars or existing FF11 servers or whatever.

Second, totally forget about choosing a server based on the sequence they're listed. I think it's unreliable to say "choose the fourth one listed" if the list is expected to vary depending on server density. I think a much more valid way of selecting a server is alphabetically. It's concrete and the only margin of error here would be if, say, there were 20 servers to select from and a list of 15 was provided - and I think the odds of them doing that are slim. They've already indicated that they want people to be able to choose the same server as their friends.

I have a very strong suspicion that they're going to release the server names prior to 9/22. I honestly don't know what they did for FF11, but for the reason given above - choosing the same server as friends - it seems like it would be in their best interests to distribute this information. Otherwise they're going to find themselves with a lot of people re-rolling and complaining, yadda yadda.

I do think it's a good idea to play it safe and have a contingency plan. And I like what we've done so far. So I submit this proposal and hopefully it is relatively simple to follow:

...If one RP server is designated...
1. We choose that one.

...If multiple RP servers are designated...
2a. If we know in advance what they will be, we vote.
2b. If we do not know in advance, we choose the first alphabetically from T.

...If no RP servers are designated...
3. If we know in advance what they will be, we vote.
4a. If they're based on villains, we go with what we voted on.
4b. If they're based on avatars, we go with what we voted on.
5. If they're not based on villains or avatars (or our chosen villain/avatar isn't listed), we choose the first alphabetically from T.

I understand the need to account for if one or multiple RP servers are designated by S-E, but I seriously don't think that this will happen. I strongly suspect we'll be going with contingency #3. But it's not a bad idea and someone can set up polls for 4a and 4b if this seems like an acceptable proposal.

EDIT: I chose 'T' explicitly because it dodges the whole 'Sephiroth' issue, although that's sort of moot anyway because if they wind up going with villains, we'll have already voted.

While I kinda feel offended with the whole QQing about villains" (seriously, who is QQing? we're just having fun here) I think Eva is right about the server name sequence being out of question.

Whataver the guidelines, I ask only one thing.
KISS.
Which stands for Keep It Simple Stupid.
We don't want people making mistakes and ending up having to reroll.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Seraphine Felstar - 08-21-2010

The beta took me hours to download. I have a feeling the actual game will be even worse. So... somehow I'm thinking the server names will be up and ready for everyone to view before most of us are even finished downloading everything. With that in mind, it's entirely possible to select the name quickly and and with the least amount of Sephiroth's as possible.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Aveline - 08-21-2010

Yeah time-wise... someone, somewhere on this planet, is going to have the game before us. I also think the servers are going to be listed before anyone is even done with the downloads.

Re: Server Selection (Prelude) - Kashemia - 08-22-2010

Well, we will hopefully have CD-roms at the time to download from, at least that's what I'm hoping. If I have to download it all from scratch, I will probbly not be able to play at all during those extra 8 days we get from the CE <.<

But yeah, I agree that we need to keep it simple. There will be people complaining no matter what you do, so just chose your way and stick with it. It only gets really confusing if you start changing it because someone complains. It's better to stick with your gun Smile