Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) (/showthread.php?tid=513)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Asyria - 09-02-2010

It would make sense in a way but it has to be the least popular for other people, not for us. Tongue

Also, oh great forum god, how do I change my vote if I want to?
Cause I went there and all I see is the results so far with my choice in white, while the rest is grey, as it's been before.

Also, I can be sacrificed if you promise it won't hurt and I can have an Angel Ring equipped (it has Reraise on it... not ReNaise! ReRaise!).

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Satisiun - 09-02-2010

Noëlle Wrote:I think someone said it earlier (infact I know they did, I just can't remember who), But wouldn't it also make sense to pick the server with the lowest votes?

since it is the least popular?

That assumes that the least populated server is, by association of it being least popular with us, is also least popular with the rest of the FFXIV community.

A does not always mean B, basically. Wutai has a low tally, for example, but I am sure many people also presume that the community at large -- I'm not saying pre-existing guilds/linkshells/forums, but FF fans in general -- will make that a mid/high-populace server due to its FFVII affiliation.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Kylin - 09-02-2010

Uh...I'm getting reports that you can't change your vote. There should be little white dots to the left of the blue bars that you can select. The system must only let one change their vote if it's submitted AFTER the poll setup is changed. Long story short, anyone who voted before now may be screwed >.>

Oh wait! I think I have to change forum permissions first! Dur...just a second.

No one is talking about a revote at this time, just about being able to change our mind on this present vote. ^^

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Jakky - 09-02-2010

Vote change option isn't showing up for me.

I see the white dot options now!

Should be working now.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Noelle - 09-02-2010

Satisiun Wrote:
Noëlle Wrote:I think someone said it earlier (infact I know they did, I just can't remember who), But wouldn't it also make sense to pick the server with the lowest votes?

since it is the least popular?

That assumes that the least populated server is, by association of it being least popular with us, is also least popular with the rest of the FFXIV community.

A does not always mean B, basically. Wutai has a low tally, for example, but I am sure many people also presume that the community at large -- I'm not saying pre-existing guilds/linkshells/forums, but FF fans in general -- will make that a mid/high-populace server due to its FFVII affiliation.

I'm glad to hear that A doesn not always mean B, otherwise our alphabet would be in trouble.
But you also have to consider that we do have a vast number of people (voters), and even those who do not simply jump on the bandwagon and vote for the most popular one, vote for one they like. meaning that while it's not a garentee, on a smaller scale the votes do reflect the popularity of those servers based on names.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Ozak Kuzak - 09-02-2010

I see the white dots and can change my vote, so its working.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Trizzip - 09-02-2010

Castiel Wrote:Should be working now.

It is....I just checked it out.

Noëlle Wrote:But you also have to consider that we do have a vast number of people (voters), and even those who do not simply jump on the bandwagon and vote for the most popular one, vote for one they like. meaning that while it's not a garentee, on a smaller scale the votes do reflect the popularity of those servers based on names.

That's true and it makes sense but it would defeat the purpose of voting.
Since the community's choice was to vote, we have to go through with the vote, and accept the result. All we can do is vote for what you believe is the best option and hope for the best. ^^

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Verence - 09-02-2010

Since voting seems about to reopen, I hope you'll all forgive me for an attempt at summarizing some of the views and concerns I've had reading through this thread. I'll try to be brief, I promise, but for those not keen on wall-o-text, I'll have a handy dandy summary at the bottom.

I see an attitude of "We're RPers! Be proud! We won't take shit from anyone!" Well, I guess that's alright, but it doesn't really jive with me. While I RP, it doesn't define who I am. I am a XIV player who RPs, not necessarily an RPer to the very core. I also read science fiction novels and enjoy the occasional movie, but I don't take pride in either of those 100% voluntary pastimes either. They're things I do, not what I am. The concept of "RPer pride" frankly confuses me and seems the first step on a path that ends in us-vs-them mentality. The line between RPer and non-RPer is not nearly so clearcut.

"So then why bother trying to avoid certain groups at all", you ask? Because it's something much more basic: Wanting to avoid aggressive, elitist, or immature players. "But those will be on every server!" Why yes, they probably will be. But when faced with the prospect of a known quantity of prepackaged notably outstanding bad eggs or the uncertain prospect that there will PROBABLY be others of unknown number and severity... I'm taking the chance. It's not at all cowardly or "running away" or anything so idealistic, it's wanting to spend the next several years of my game time in as friendly and comfortable an environment as possible. It's way easier to be pleasant to people when they're nice to you in return, and which LS is going where is not a 100% reliable indicator - but it is one of the few we do have.

This is also the case with my earlier 4chan comment - someone pointed out that they have a short attention span and likely wouldn't persist in any sort of organized group. Absolutely true. However, in my personal experience, the sort of personality that enjoys 4chan tends to be the sort of personality who revels in the anonymity of the internet and the opportunities it affords them to do whatever they please with little fear of backlash. Hence, "We are Anonymous." That sort of attitude doesn't NEED to be organized to be obnoxious, and unpleasant to share a server with. So, it becomes clear that it's not just a matter of which linkshell is going where, either.

It's not just a matter of obnoxious people either - a server with a very dedicated, organized, hardcore and large endgame group will probably make casual enjoyment of those elements (if they're anywhere near as competitive as XI's) that much more difficult.

I can sum up my views this way: Say you're hunting for a new apartment, and you have two prospects. One, you know is next to railroad tracks, and trains WILL go barreling by at 2am with their whistles blasting. The other, you're not quite sure where it is - it may be next to similar tracks, or it may not be. Why on earth would you choose the one that's guaranteed to be noisy?

I don't think pride or cowardice or squeamishness or anything of the like enters into the picture at all. To me, it's simply a matter of looking at what server is most likely to provide an environment free from elements that would diminish our free enjoyment of the game - both in our roleplaying, and in our forays into the challenges the game has to offer us. One of the few indicators we have of what those servers may be... is which group is going where. I don't think it's wise to completely disregard that.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Noelle - 09-02-2010

Asyria Wrote:That's true and it makes sense but it would defeat the purpose of voting.
Since the community's choice was to vote, we have to go through with the vote, and accept the result. All we can do is vote for what you believe is the best option and hope for the best. ^^

So then, why can we now Re-vote?

D:<

Edit: Because I messed up my quote thingy~

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Cid_Mercer - 09-02-2010

Eh, I'm leaving my vote as originally cast. I have no beef with the people purported to be utilizing Lindblum, it's where my friends are going, and... well... I already voted for it. I voted for it because it was my first choice. That honestly has not changed.

I expect that HACK will follow the RPC wherever it goes, but I, personally, like how the vote was turning out originally just fine.