Hydaelyn Role-Players
"Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" (/showthread.php?tid=7495)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Ilwe'ran - 04-06-2015

Err, I need to do that too, motivate me please @_@

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Bryn - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 10:31 AM)Ilweran Wrote: Err, I need to do that too, motivate me please @_@

You can do eeet! We believe in you!

I really want to do a full reformat of Bryn's page. I'm thinking some sort of nice graphical layout... As soon as I learn the code.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Melodia - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 10:14 AM)Zarek Wrote: Do I count if I haven't managed to sit down and make mine yet, even after all this time? >_>

No? Okay, I'll show myself out...
LOL don't feel bad. I still don't have a wiki and it's been....a year and change. Tongue

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Kurt S. - 04-06-2015

I'm gonna have to learn some html but at the same I dun wanna also I've hit some sort of a bump. 

Do I update Ramoaners' wiki on an arc by arc basis for her pre coma backstory section, yanno add info as they are revealed to her or do I just lay it all bare regardless of what arc she's in/ how many soulstone shards she's found? Which would be more effective or does anyone even care.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Martiallais - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 10:26 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 10:14 AM)Zarek Wrote: Do I count if I haven't managed to sit down and make mine yet, even after all this time? >_>

No? Okay, I'll show myself out...
Do iiiit

I really need to. That way Zarek can get more monk teachers/sparring pals IC-ly.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Khadan - 04-06-2015

Ha ha... one day I'll actually add the history section of mine. At first I was seriously worried about metagamers and such as it had been a large problem in WoW. Here I'm not so concerned with it, tbh. I should just jot it down and be done with it, though I think my motivation tanks with the feeling that wikis tend to be unread most of the time. It's hard to balance between what you feel is noteworthy vs. what you feel may be a waste of effort. =X

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Ilwe'ran - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 10:44 AM)Bryn Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 10:31 AM)Ilweran Wrote: Err, I need to do that too, motivate me please @_@

You can do eeet! We believe in you!

I really want to do a full reformat of Bryn's page. I'm thinking some sort of nice graphical layout... As soon as I learn the code.

*Leans on bryn, seeking for some motivation* @_@

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Deacon Lowell - 04-06-2015

(01-17-2015, 02:52 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Technical stuff ahoy!

The LanInfoBox template, just like Infobox-character, uses a cool "behind the scenes" template called Citizenship-switch. If you look at its documentation (linked), it'll list off all the supported citizenships. Citizenship-switch also drives the autocategorization function of templates related to or derived from Infobox-character.

Doma isn't currently supported by Citizenship-switch, so the template falls back to the "default" option. It's not that hard to add Doma in, but it would require changes to Citizenship-switch, Citizenship-logo (which is where the logos come from), and templates that use those (so they correctly specify what to do when "Doma" is specified). It's nothing against Doma; we don't have Thavnairia or Meracydia, either. Smile Infobox-character uses the default fallback of Citizenship-switch to provide a generic grey background with no logo for the header if you specify a citizenship it can't parse. It looks like LanInfoBox does something similar, at least in the header, but I haven't read the entire template, so I can't comment on what else it does. Smile

I know I'm a little late to the game here, but..

Basically what LanInfoBox did was read what citizenship players input into the field (thanks to the citizenship-switch), then it would go ahead and add the icon / change the infobox's colors to fit the grand company's color scheme. It had a lot of similarities with Infobox-character.

Anyhow! Yes, LanInfoBox did call on citizenship-switch for a time until today (I've had many requests from people who wanted to change the color scheme to something that fit their profiles better, and because we don't technically have all the other regions, so it's since been removed and replaced with color options for tables).

I really liked its functionality so if I should decide to fiddle around with another template for an infobox I'll see if I can include it somehow.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - MadWater - 04-07-2015

(04-06-2015, 11:20 AM)Ramuhnuh Wrote: I'm gonna have to learn some html but at the same I dun wanna also I've hit some sort of a bump. 

Do I update Ramoaners' wiki on an arc by arc basis for her pre coma backstory section, yanno add info as they are revealed to her or do I just lay it all bare regardless of what arc she's in/ how many soulstone shards she's found? Which would be more effective or does anyone even care.

I would reveal things as your character becomes aware of them. It's a more interesting way of showing her development than just "and then she found the second shard" imo. You can even write it all out in your wiki, but put the hidden parts in an HTML comment tag so they won't be displayed.

Code:
<!-- This is what an HTML comment looks like.
None of this will show on the wiki page until you delete the bits before and after, even other HTML and MediaWiki markups. -->

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Warren Castille - 04-07-2015

I don't have a very good philosophy when it comes to updating my wiki. I've got a "Current Events" bit that I edit as things happen, but I throw out the old bits as I do it. For my purposes, where you've been and what you've done mean a lot less than where you are and what you're doing.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Kurt S. - 04-07-2015

(04-07-2015, 01:17 AM)MadWater Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 11:20 AM)Ramuhnuh Wrote: I'm gonna have to learn some html but at the same I dun wanna also I've hit some sort of a bump. 

I would reveal things as your character becomes aware of them. It's a more interesting way of showing her development than just "and then she found the second shard" imo. You can even write it all out in your wiki, but put the hidden parts in an HTML comment tag so they won't be displayed.

Code:
<!-- This is what an HTML comment looks like.
None of this will show on the wiki page until you delete the bits before and after, even other HTML and MediaWiki markups. -->

Yaaaay thanks for the help. Now I can do parts of Ramomo's wiki.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Kellach Woods - 04-07-2015

...when I think about it my wiki would need a severe rehauling.

Then I think about it some more, and I realize it's just a capricious worrywart reaction of IS MY WIKI NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR SEMPAI?

When I shouldn't be caring about that shit to begin with.

One section that will need a rehaul is the equipment one - once I get my Zodiac, the weapon's looks will significantly change, so I'll need to change the weapon.

Watch me rename it "Heavier Axe".

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - MadWater - 04-07-2015

Done with mine for now. What's your excuse? Get to writin'!

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - SicketySix - 04-07-2015

I don't so much need to update my wiki, I just finished my first one for my main.
It now just comes down to creating one for my 17,000 other RP alts spread out all over the place. 3/4 of them I don't even use, not even sure why I have them.....

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Gegenji - 04-07-2015

(04-06-2015, 08:04 PM)L'aenoh Wrote:
(01-17-2015, 02:52 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Technical stuff ahoy!

The LanInfoBox template, just like Infobox-character, uses a cool "behind the scenes" template called Citizenship-switch. If you look at its documentation (linked), it'll list off all the supported citizenships. Citizenship-switch also drives the autocategorization function of templates related to or derived from Infobox-character.

Doma isn't currently supported by Citizenship-switch, so the template falls back to the "default" option. It's not that hard to add Doma in, but it would require changes to Citizenship-switch, Citizenship-logo (which is where the logos come from), and templates that use those (so they correctly specify what to do when "Doma" is specified). It's nothing against Doma; we don't have Thavnairia or Meracydia, either. Smile Infobox-character uses the default fallback of Citizenship-switch to provide a generic grey background with no logo for the header if you specify a citizenship it can't parse. It looks like LanInfoBox does something similar, at least in the header, but I haven't read the entire template, so I can't comment on what else it does. Smile

I know I'm a little late to the game here, but..

Basically what LanInfoBox did was read what citizenship players input into the field (thanks to the citizenship-switch), then it would go ahead and add the icon / change the infobox's colors to fit the grand company's color scheme. It had a lot of similarities with Infobox-character.

Anyhow! Yes, LanInfoBox did call on citizenship-switch for a time until today (I've had many requests from people who wanted to change the color scheme to something that fit their profiles better, and because we don't technically have all the other regions, so it's since been removed and replaced with color options for tables).

I really liked its functionality so if I should decide to fiddle around with another template for an infobox I'll see if I can include it somehow.

It should be noted that he made the changes. So if you've been using the LanInfoBox, you'll need to go back and put in the code to color that back in. I just did something simple with Chachan (along with recoloring the section bars too because why not) to get it "recolored" as it were.

Though, it should be noted that this means you can drop your character's citizenship line entirely if your character doesn't affiliate with any particular city and it won't throw off the coloring any! Thumbsup