Hydaelyn Role-Players
International RP - A communication guide (04.07) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: International RP - A communication guide (04.07) (/showthread.php?tid=10111)

Pages: 1 2

RE: International RP - A communication guide - Ilwe'ran - 02-14-2015

(02-14-2015, 04:11 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: This is great! Are you going to address OOC communication gaps though, I wonder? Differences in OOC discussion between British players, continental European players, and North American players? There are some habits that separate these groups, I feel. Brits and Europeans are likely to be more sarcastic or facetious, while North American players do not engage in these habits. Certainly results in some misunderstandings OOC!

That is a biais, there is not more sarcastic / facetious folks in a place or another, everybody is different and if you feel this way, it might be because the way they write their sentences or use the words is different from the one of your culture / country / main language.
As an example, I have been tagged several times as rude (i_i) mainly because the way we build our sentences in french is different from UK / NA folks. So sometimes, if I'm not 100% focused on what I do and I "relax" my sentences come out the same way I would write them in french.. And sometimes people frown at me for this while for me it's an acceptable and even friendly way to write.
That is really important, people should keep in mind that culture and main language will always color the way sentences are built and the vocabulary which is used. Always keep a positive appreciation of folks unless they are clearly rude : They are only trying to communicate with the tool they have.

Though, I will talk about OOC, I'm still unsure if it will be a whole section, hence why I kept a bonus one as it will depends on how I will write the rest Smile . (And how I will write the rest also depends on you guys)

RE: International RP - A communication guide - Seriphyn - 02-14-2015

(02-14-2015, 04:45 PM)Ilwe Wrote: As an example, I have been tagged several times as rude (i_i) mainly because the way we build our sentences in french is different from UK / NA folks. So sometimes, if I'm not 100% focused on what I do and I "relax" my sentences come out the same way I would write them in french..

Okay, this is actually what I intended to mean originally. I see UK/NA folks (NA in particular) getting offended over that sort of thing.

RE: International RP - A communication guide - Ilwe'ran - 02-14-2015

(02-14-2015, 05:15 PM)Seriphyn Wrote:
(02-14-2015, 04:45 PM)Ilwe Wrote: As an example, I have been tagged several times as rude (i_i) mainly because the way we build our sentences in french is different from UK / NA folks. So sometimes, if I'm not 100% focused on what I do and I "relax" my sentences come out the same way I would write them in french..

Okay, this is actually what I intended to mean originally. I see UK/NA folks (NA in particular) getting offended over that sort of thing.

Yes, I saw that a lot as well and that's the main reason I created that topic. Whether it's IC or OOC, different culture and different language will automaticaly lead to some problem. Even if you're really carefull, you're unfortunatly coming with your french brain (aka language, culture, but as well ideas, how school taught you stuff, etc.) when you're speaking in english for example. Tolerance is something that people have to learn and it's not always obvious that the way we read one sentence need us to be tolerant. Particularly for those who never learn another language.

RE: International RP - A communication guide - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-14-2015

(02-14-2015, 04:11 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: This is great! Are you going to address OOC communication gaps though, I wonder? Differences in OOC discussion between British players, continental European players, and North American players? There are some habits that separate these groups, I feel. Brits and Europeans are likely to be more sarcastic or facetious, while North American players do not engage in these habits. Certainly results in some misunderstandings OOC!

Oh trust me, players in North America engage in the same habits. Just...not always in say, a public linkshell or in /say. There's plenty of odd habits/variety even just taking into account the US players, since there're some very different subcultures and habits. 

It does certainly help to communicate though. But as with many things on the internet, that alluring prospect of anonymity can bring out the best/worst of people.

RE: International RP - A communication guide - Nebbs - 02-14-2015

(02-14-2015, 04:06 PM)Velandrea Wrote: In truth, I've met tons of non-native roleplayers, who you would think they were indeed from the isles (Brits). Also I've noticed, being Dutch and pretty heavy with dyslexia, that non-native speakers and people with dyslexia are OFTEN the ones with the best grammar in roleplay. They are the ones who are trying to hide the fact they are foreign/have troubles with grammar the most. Whereas I've seen British people in roleplay who made me cringe.

unless peepol talk liek tis in roleplayz, maybe u shuld sai someting about it. But eh? Live and let live is the key. Some people are fast with typing, some are terribly slow, some are sometimes super fast, and some are sometimes super slow. 
You will notice if people put some effort in trying to come off decently, and that is what counts for me. I had to bash some grammar nonsense into my skull despite my dyslexia/being non-native, and I'd expect people to do the same.
Admittedly, my grammar is a lot more wonky in FFXIV due to the lack of addons (such a misspelled WoW had. But even then I'm often tempted to quickly check 'difficult' words in Google Translate. Herp derp. I've gotten super fast at it though.) I hope once addons are released, someone will bring this in as well.

But dyslexia is no excuse for typing i's instead of I's. Dyslexia is not being capable of telling the difference between "wether and whether". It makes me furious when people hide behind it as an excuse. Correcting us is an iffy thing as well. I wouldn't do it unless they ask for it. Trust me, us dyslexia lot are CONSTANTLY checking if we aren't buggering things up. The excuse making dyslexia lot aren't worth the time correcting. They simply do not care to put more effort in it!

That said, I won't turn down people for roleplay if they got terrible grammar. I may twitch a few eyebrows IRL at most.

As a Dyslexic myself I kind of get and agree with a lot of what you say. I especially miss the spell checking etc..  (for example I just had to correct four words after typing that sentence.. and two in these brackets)

I have tried to write it out in an editor then cut and paste it.. but you know what, someone has already replied again and ruined what you just wrote.

There are also other issues with Dyslexia, like the scrolling of text, and missing out some replies. We are known to loose our place when reading pages of text, and scrolling chat is worse.

Also Dyslexics see the world a bit differently, so arguing with us is not easy. Others will have something specific and Dyslexics will have seventeen possible positions they are considering. 

All in all text chat is not a great way to communicate and we add extra noise into that through culture and disabilities.

So not wanting to pull this too off topic.. Yay for dyslexics, at least we get special powres

RE: International RP - A communication guide - Cato - 02-14-2015

A lot of people on this site claim to be very keen on talking things out to avoid misunderstandings. I so rarely see that happening myself though. You can pick any subject where role-players are divided quite passionately and it usually devolves into thinly veiled and actual insults being flung from all directions.

Though if even a handful of people take the advice within this thread on board perhaps we can take a step towards a safer and more welcoming community where role-players do not have to feel as though they have to hold their tongue or avoid putting their opinion out there for fear of being branded an 'elitist', 'troll', 'asshole' or any of the other countless buzzwords that are thrown around in the aforementioned debates.

At the same time, however, some people are just never going to get along no matter how things play out - you get that in the real world and it's no different in an online community. The best we can do is strive to agree to disagree and remain within the confines of the site's code of conduct.

RE: International RP - A communication guide - Ilwe'ran - 02-15-2015

(02-14-2015, 07:25 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: A lot of people on this site claim to be very keen on talking things out to avoid misunderstandings.

The problem with someone who isn't native speaker is that person will not see that he misunderstood, he might not notice even though the things might go wrong and he might not understand at all what is happening.
That's why the native speaker have to be REALLY vigilant. It's not the non native speaker fault if he misunderstood and doesn't notice, his english skill might simply not allow him to catch his own mistake.
At the same time, the non native speaker can as well write a sentence which can be misunderstood by the native speaker, and there, trust me, it can go even more wrong, particularly when you don't know well each others. The native can think he is right and he IS indeed right, what he read was what was wrote. While the non native will not understand his own mistake and even less the comprehensible reaction of the native. That might lead to different results.. Sometimes bad RP wise or even to arguments OOC..
That's why I precised this in that guide, misunderstandings happen all the time, but when you face a non native speaker, better asking 5 times before having your character reacting recklessly to something.

RE: International RP - A communication guide - Flickering Ember - 02-15-2015

I am interested in this guide and have a couple of questions:

1. My native language is English and I am role-playing as a character who speaks with poor English skills. Often times, I am worried about offending people who speak it as a second language. I am not sure if I am being silly or not.

2. I am also a slow responder to RP for different reasons. However, on occasion, I will make supplemental RP posts because I don't believe RP has to always be "you make one post now I make one post." A lot of these posts are often just to add flavor or I like to add on to what I last said to give the other player more content to respond off of.

Does this make other people nervous or feel rushed?

RE: International RP - A communication guide - Ilwe'ran - 02-15-2015

(02-15-2015, 01:50 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote: I am interested in this guide and have a couple of questions:

1. My native language is English and I am role-playing as a character who speaks with poor English skills. Often times, I am worried about offending people who speak it as a second language. I am not sure if I am being silly or not.

You won't offend anybody if your english looks poor ICly. People won't feel like you're doing that in purpose to "help them", particularly if your emotes are neat while the character's language is poor.
Though, if you feel uneasy or if you have the feeling that your RP partner is feeling uncomfortable, I encourage you to speak out OOC. Better saying a few words OOC and not being worried anymore than trying to deal with those feelings, they would ruin a bit your own pleasure Smile .

Though, there is one thing a non native speaker might have some problems with : The accents. If your character as some sort of accent (pirate for example) and you know that the person in front of you isn't a native speaker, don't hesitate to offer them to "translate" the sentence in modern english for them to understand. An offer is always agreable, even more if the person is too shy themselves to ask.

(02-15-2015, 01:50 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote: 2. I am also a slow responder to RP for different reasons. However, on occasion, I will make supplemental RP posts because I don't believe RP has to always be "you make one post now I make one post." A lot of these posts are often just to add flavor or I like to add on to what I last said to give the other player more content to respond off of.

Does this make other people nervous or feel rushed?

I often do that, making like.. 2 or 3 posts, even sometimes 4. When I know it's gonna be long, I do two things :
1. I tell to my partner that my answer will be long (you know, the 5mn golden rule).
2. I finish each post by a > or a --> (Thank you Carina for that, it's really smart) to announce there is something following.
If I'm not saying anything, I myself feel stressed and try to rush, I believe that if the person in front of me know it will be a bit long, they won't feel "abandonned" or feel like I went AFK without a word.
If you have the feeling that you're "slow" or your partner is impatient, you can simply tell them that you're there. There is no rule saying that you should give an answer every X mn, but sometimes it's better to just speak out. Native or not native, what is important is to be comfortable with your partner, if you think that it's important to precise that you're sometimes slow to answer, you can simply say it. As long as it makes you feel better, you should do it Wink !

RE: International RP - A communication guide (02.18) - Ilwe'ran - 02-17-2015

Part 2 will be long to write, so I'll split in several "little" part. First one "Did you understand the same thing" is up Smile

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=10111&pid=146834#pid146834

RE: International RP - A communication guide (04.07) - Ilwe'ran - 04-06-2015

Bumping this because updated, I'll try to continue tomorrow *rename herself Mrs Slowpoke*

RE: International RP - A communication guide (04.07) - Kasumi Gakunin - 04-06-2015

OOC wise sometimes I'm guilty of using Australian slang, especially shortening words i.e politicians, pollies. I usually only slip into it when I'm talking to another Australian role players and the rest our free company has no idea what we're talking about. 
I haven't really encountered any communication problems with North American or European role players otherwise.

RE: International RP - A communication guide (04.07) - Ilwe'ran - 04-07-2015

But I think Australians speak english right ?

RE: International RP - A communication guide (04.07) - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-07-2015

(04-07-2015, 07:24 AM)Ilwe Wrote: But I think Australians speak english right ?

They do, but even English dialects can have misunderstandings. I see it happen in just the USA between "California English" and other dialects. Different word choice or slightly different meaning of words can make a big difference in tone and perceived intent.

Or as Lacy said, slang. If I'm talking OOC with someone who is from about the same area, my speech devolves into what people would normally attribute to "Valley Girl"

This is also a fun one (although limited to American English :< )
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0