Hydaelyn Role-Players
Female to Male Ratio - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Female to Male Ratio (/showthread.php?tid=10359)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Cato - 02-27-2015

Judging from what I've seen in-game across a number of MMO's a lot of the 'female' characters boast extra appendages so perhaps that balances it out somewhat? Dodgy

Though putting that aside, it doesn't help that it's difficult to design a conventionally attractive classically handsome male. I think I've succeeded with Graeham and my Miqo'te but a lot of the options are pretty feminine or androgynous.

Roegadyn are too large and Highlanders have a ruggedness about them but their faces could do with being a lot better given the lack of eyebrows/weird nose.

I don't play female characters myself, especially in a game like this when they're deliberately designed - for the most part - to be significantly smaller than their male counterparts. Female Highlanders aren't bad looking though!

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Coatleque - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:08 PM)Melkire Wrote: As has been mentioned, there's this trend with video games where guys tend to opt for the female character model in lieu of "playing as themselves"

The most common explanation I see in other forums whenever this is brought up is "Well, if I have to stare at an avatar's ass for 6 hours every night, I might as well make it an attractive one."

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Aya - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:17 PM)Coatleque Wrote:
(02-27-2015, 05:08 PM)Melkire Wrote: As has been mentioned, there's this trend with video games where guys tend to opt for the female character model in lieu of "playing as themselves"

The most common explanation I see in other forums whenever this is brought up is "Well, if I have to stare at an avatar's ass for 6 hours every night, I might as well make it an attractive one."
So close-minded about the male figure!

(02-27-2015, 05:19 PM)Aya Wrote: So close-minded about the male figure!

Hey! They weren't my words! Just passing on what I commonly see elsewhere.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Maia - 02-27-2015

To add a little bit of data to this discussion, I went ahead and tallied the M/F ratio in my own LS. Here are the results:

M: 27
F: 30

However! I went back and recounted the list, only factoring participants that I would label as "active" membership. As you'll see, it's a bit more skewed:

M: 15
F: 24

(For the definition of 'active' in my brain, I considered those I have seen at multiple events, or events within the last month.)

Is this the case for other RP groups? Are the ratios more even, with the strong slant caused by more female characters simply being more active and involved in the RP scene?

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Dogberry - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:19 PM)Aya Wrote:

So close-minded about the male figure!

It's a matter of preference. And besides, not everyone can look like Dogberry.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Aya - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:21 PM)Coatleque Wrote:

Hey!  They weren't my words!  Just passing on what I commonly see elsewhere.
I didn't mean you Coat! ^_^ I meant our anonymous peeps!

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Chris Ganale - 02-27-2015

I play as myself before I play as other characters/concepts. But out of seven characters, two of mine are female. The problem is that of the three main ones I RP on, two are kind of gated in specific areas because of the story I've created for them.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Enzo - 02-27-2015

All of these girls and my characters still can't get dates *Sad Face*

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Random Encounter - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:21 PM)Coatleque Wrote:

Hey! They weren't my words! Just passing on what I commonly see elsewhere.

I heard that excuse countless times myself when it comes to males playing female characters in games. I tend to make characters I can relate to a little when playing games to make it more interesting. I guess to some "hot" pixels is their thing to spice up a game. To each their own. *Shrugs*

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Volk - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:22 PM)Maia Wrote: To add a little bit of data to this discussion, I went ahead and tallied the M/F ratio in my own LS. Here are the results:

M: 27
F: 30

However! I went back and recounted the list, only factoring participants that I would label as "active" membership. As you'll see, it's a bit more skewed:

M: 15
F: 24

(For the definition of 'active' in my brain, I considered those I have seen at multiple events, or events within the last month.)

Is this the case for other RP groups? Are the ratios more even, with the strong slant caused by more female characters simply being more active and involved in the RP scene?

You are my kind of people. < 3

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Cato - 02-27-2015

Seems like a poor excuse, really. Surely if someone is comfortable with their sexuality then they'd have no issue staring at a guy in a video-game? Unless someone zooms in really close and frequently they won't be staring at their character's rear anyway.

(02-27-2015, 05:28 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: Seems like a poor excuse, really. Surely if someone is comfortable with their sexuality then they'd have no issue staring at a guy in a video-game? Unless someone zooms in really close and frequently they won't be staring at their character's rear anyway.

I think it's supposed to be taken a little more tongue-in-cheek. It's not a question of how comfortable they are. Not every decision in life is based solely on one's sexuality.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Dogberry - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:28 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote:

Seems like a poor excuse, really. Surely if someone is comfortable with their sexuality then they'd have no issue staring at a guy in a video-game? Unless someone zooms in really close and frequently they won't be staring at their character's rear anyway.

Never underestimate just how insecure some people are.

RE: Female to Male Ratio - Melkire - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 05:28 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote:

It's not about homophobia, it's about looking at something pretty.