Hydaelyn Role-Players
Au Ra, Xaela tribal alliance and enemies? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Au Ra, Xaela tribal alliance and enemies? (/showthread.php?tid=11187)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Au Ra, Xaela tribal alliance and enemies? - mongi291 - 04-21-2015

I also remembered that, although we've got lore on Xaelas, we still don't know the naming conventions. Damnit.

RE: Au Ra, Xaela tribal alliance and enemies? - Rosamund - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 07:49 AM)mongi291 Wrote: I also remembered that, although we've got lore on Xaelas, we still don't know the naming conventions. Damnit.

Much to my dismay, yes. Sad

RE: Au Ra, Xaela tribal alliance and enemies? - Hammersmith - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 10:45 AM)Inarah Wrote:
(04-21-2015, 07:49 AM)mongi291 Wrote: I also remembered that, although we've got lore on Xaelas, we still don't know the naming conventions. Damnit.

Iaam Be'tman

RE: Au Ra, Xaela tribal alliance and enemies? - V'aleera - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 07:31 AM)Azureus Galthens Wrote: We'll need too choose a Matriarch/Patriarch and such.
In my experience this role is best played by faceless, non-present NPCs.

RE: Au Ra, Xaela tribal alliance and enemies? - Azureus Scipio - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 11:06 AM)Intaki Wrote:
(04-21-2015, 07:31 AM)Azureus Galthens Wrote: We'll need too choose a Matriarch/Patriarch and such.
In my experience this role is best played by faceless, non-present NPCs.

You are most probably right, i just thought it could be good for RP. I mean people would have voted, so we wouldent get some total douche. But I can kinda see what you mean

RE: Au Ra, Xaela tribal alliance and enemies? - Gegenji - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 10:57 AM)Hammersmith Wrote:
(04-21-2015, 10:45 AM)Inarah Wrote:

Iaam Be'tman

Pufde'ma Jik'drakin.
H-he lives by the sea. Blush

RE: Au Ra, Xaela tribal alliance and enemies? - industrythirteen - 04-21-2015

Phew. Lots of responses this afternoon to look through. Thank you everyone for your responses so far. 

I personally won't be joining a tribe FC. A friend and I are working on an FC concept atm for 3.0, but it's not Auri-centric by ANY means. Nope nope nope. 

Tribe linkshells I am totes down for. Shit, I'm down for an Auri linkshell, too. 

I personally think that it would be better to name an npc as a patriarch or matriarch, or an npc head family for my/your/anyone's tribe. I'm not sure which nomadic people the devs are basing the Xaela around. There are quite a few options, and I or anyone else might want to have a look at those social structures. I've been partial to the Mongols since forever. 

I've chosen a Mongolian/Yuan given name in the mean-time with nothing else to go on just yet. But it's just a placeholder at this point. On a side note, no one on any server is using it. 

Once we do have more information, I'll make a list of characteristics I'd like for my own Xaela tribe, or ideas that I have. This may be the best way (read: only way I've thought of so far x.x) to get an idea of what people are thinking or looking for. I'll also list my inspiration/references for it. If folks want to list their own, everyone can have a look and see where ideas converge and diverge to start communicating with one another to start generating ideas and cross-pollinating their backstories.

RE: Au Ra, Xaela tribal alliance and enemies? - Siha - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 05:08 PM)industrythirteen Wrote: I've been partial to the Mongols since forever. 

I've chosen a Mongolian/Yuan given name in the mean-time with nothing else to go on just yet. But it's just a placeholder at this point. On a side note, no one on any server is using it. 

Once we do have more information, I'll make a list of characteristics I'd like for my own Xaela tribe, or ideas that I have. This may be the best way (read: only way I've thought of so far x.x) to get an idea of what people are thinking or looking for. I'll also list my inspiration/references for it. If folks want to list their own, everyone can have a look and see where ideas converge and diverge to start communicating with one another to start generating ideas and cross-pollinating their backstories.

You and I think a lot alike, I've been looking at the Mongols and the Huns quite a bit because of the pointed way they mention the Steppes for the Xaela. I'd also be very interested in this! I think we'll have a bit more to go on once they drop the Benchmark on us, which if things I've read are true and everything goes right, should be around the 24th - 26th. Somewhere in there. Once we have naming conventions it'll probably be much easier to nail down what culutures we should be looking at for inspiration. As it stands though I'm with you, I'm staring hard at the Mongols.

My character however might be a bit bland compared to some but right now she's a sort of superstitious, warrior type female who enjoys her scuffles, is good at what she does because it's all she's ever really thrown herself into, and is very proud of her race and tribe. If anyone wants to plot with me I'm more than happy to hand out my Skype! Just PM me for it, or it's in my About Me section I think. Bouncy

RE: Au Ra, Xaela tribal alliance and enemies? - Zhavi - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 05:08 PM)industrythirteen Wrote: I've chosen a Mongolian/Yuan given name in the mean-time with nothing else to go on just yet. But it's just a placeholder at this point. On a side note, no one on any server is using it. 

I was uh... yeah, my goal is to shoe-in a Mongolian name by any means possible. Central Eurasian nomadic tribes are hnnnnng, and Mongolians I favor far above the rest (though Russia has some very interesting, albeit rapidly dwindling, groups). If it's too far removed from the given standards, though, I'll go for some weird nickname and reason my way into it. Angry

That said, there's still too much unknown. Wandering nomads, such as gypsies (origin Indian, in particular) are drastically different from hunter-gatherers (which is my bet for the xaela), from the pastoralists. How those groups are set up typically depend on how they survive, and their surroundings, and the pressures from outside forces. We know they fight frequently, but we don't know why -- resource scarcity? Xenophobia? Some ancient feud? I mean, there's things I'd love to dig into, but I really don't want to dig in too deep and be totally overturned by the lore later.

*looks mournfully at rogue guild*

edit - and, too, the Mongolian culture has changed drastically over the centuries. 9th century vs 12th century, 15th century vs 17th: *shrugs*

2nd edit

scythians best nomads

I think they're definitely hunter/gatherers because of the little description we do have in their text on the official site:

Quote:Unlike their sister clan, the Raen, who lead solitary lives hidden behind the savage peaks of Othard's eastern reaches, the Xaela are free spirits who roam the vast western steppe in close-knit tribes hunting, gathering, and warring as their ancestors have for countless generations.

Though I'm sure there will be unique tribes out there that might not be specifically that. If anything has been proven it's that nature doesn't always follow a set pattern, most of the time, but not always. I don't think a Pastoralist or even a Gypsy style tribe would be too far fetched. Not at all. That's just my two cents on that of course. The former is probably more likely than the latter.

RE: Au Ra, Xaela tribal alliance and enemies? - V'aleera - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 05:08 PM)industrythirteen Wrote: Tribe linkshells I am totes down for. Shit, I'm down for an Auri linkshell, too. 
I think a general Au Ra RP linkshell would be a fantastic avenue for Au Ra players to find eachother, tribal players included.

(04-21-2015, 05:28 PM)Siha Wrote: I think they're definitely hunter/gatherers because of the little description we do have in their text on the official site:

Quote:Unlike their sister clan, the Raen, who lead solitary lives hidden behind the savage peaks of Othard's eastern reaches, the Xaela are free spirits who roam the vast western steppe in close-knit tribes hunting, gathering, and warring as their ancestors have for countless generations.

Though I'm sure there will be unique tribes out there that might not be specifically that. If anything has been proven it's that nature doesn't always follow a set pattern, most of the time, but not always. I don't think a Pastoralist or even a Gypsy style tribe would be too far fetched. Not at all. That's just my two cents on that of course. The former is probably more likely than the latter.

Hehe, yeah, that's why it's my bet, too. In which case, hell, wouldn't it be interesting to have African themed tribes? But probably not. They'll prolly stick to central eurasia.

But it's funny if there are hunter-gatherers on steppes, because steppes groups were pastoralist. (all of the ones I know of were)

But rp is rp, and in the end some clever thinking can make anything possible, as you say.

I'm just obsessive, is all

I can't help myself.

(04-21-2015, 05:33 PM)Zhavi Wrote: I'm just obsessive, is all

I can't help myself.

Ha ha definitely understandable! I'm more likely to defer to you on the whole thing because I am in no way good with history, or a history buff. I R DUMB. I'm just hoping for something neat and then I will devour anything I can find when it comes to examples in history! 8D And probably poke some of you history buffs until you want to strangle me.

Also LS's would be great, I know of one thus far that I'm in called Othard United. It's for general Eastern characters, Domans, future Au Ra, what have you but it's a start if there are no others out there and they're friendly!

(04-21-2015, 05:40 PM)Siha Wrote:

I can't help myself.

Ha ha definitely understandable! I'm more likely to defer to you on the whole thing because I am in no way good with history, or a history buff. I R DUMB. I'm just hoping for something neat and then I will devour anything I can find when it comes to examples in history! 8D And probably poke some of you history buffs until you want to strangle me.

Also LS's would be great, I know of one thus far that I'm in called Othard United. It's for general Eastern characters, Domans, future Au Ra, what have you but it's a start if there are no others out there and they're friendly!

I'm just ... like, a dream to me would be getting a phd in cultural anthropology and going to mongolia. FOR REASONS I DON'T KNOW YET. But yeah. And AND I also want LSs. And stuff. And discussion where I can ogle others' ideas.

If anyone is interested in romani style nomadism, check this film out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbWNJVVbGTI

Superb ethnography without some bothersome narrator telling you what to look at. Big Grin

RE: Au Ra, Xaela tribal alliance and enemies? - industrythirteen - 04-21-2015

I can't help myself.

Nope nope nope. It's passion, is what it is. I can tell how much you're into this sort of thing by your posts. Don't let anyone take that away from you! <3