Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) (/showthread.php?tid=11370)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - K'nahli - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 05:26 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: What's terrifying about people playing as what they want?

I think he meant a massive population shift(race-wise). From an RP perspective, it might be quite bizarre to suddenly see Au Ra walking around as though they had been there all along, and in massive numbers.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Zyrusticae - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 05:26 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: What's terrifying about people playing as what they want?
What's terrifying is the sudden influx of total homogeneity as no less than half the existing player base fantasias to the new race.

I mean, what did you expect? People already complain about Miqo'te being too common as it is...

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Kage - 04-29-2015

Eh, in my world one race will just be more "popular" and Lalafell still in a minority, most especially among RPers I bet.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Desu Nee - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 05:30 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
What's terrifying is the sudden influx of total homogeneity as no less than half the existing player base fantasias to the new race.

I mean, what did you expect? People already complain about Miqo'te being too common as it is...
The average joe does not care. In the end it's a game, and people want to have fun and be what they want, homogeneity be damned. Not everyone in Balmung has a FC dedicated for IC exploration of the outer instalations of the coils of Bahamut, and I honestly haven't ever cared about the Miq'ote frequency, and neither will I now.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - SessionZero - 04-29-2015

I think "terrifying" is a bit of a strong word. It's not like we didn't see this coming, and I hardly think seeing a sudden influx of Au Ra players is going to really ruin anything for anyone playing the game. At worst, your character will have to turn their head for five seconds going, "Where did all these dragon people come from?"

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Zyrusticae - 04-29-2015

I should note that I am not one of the people who complained about Miqo'te being popular. It's just something I noticed, and I know there will be plenty of mentions of Au Ra come Heavensward's release.

If anything, I'm kind of looking forward to suddenly being part of the 18% instead of the 42% (lol).

It does affect RP, however. ICly folks will have to acknowledge the sudden shift, and that will be a thing, for sure. Eorzea is a place of change...

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Gone. - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 05:30 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:

I didn't expect anything else. It's the new race coming in Heavensward. Of course people are excited for it. Once the novelty wears off, however, things will balance back out and I sincerely doubt dragon people are going to have a longterm popularity over cat people.

Like, I get it. You don't like Au Ra. Linking to a poll with a limited sample scope really wasn't necessary. All it does is add more fuel to the flame.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - allgivenover - 04-29-2015

I still believe the hype will die off and they won't end up being as popular in the long term as Miqo'te.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - K'nahli - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 05:38 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: I didn't expect anything else. It's the new race coming in Heavensward. Of course people are excited for it. Once the novelty wears off, however, things will balance back out and I sincerely doubt dragon people are going to have a longterm popularity over cat people.

Like, I get it. You don't like Au Ra. Linking to a poll with a limited sample scope really wasn't necessary. All it does is add more fuel to the flame.

While Zyrus may not be the largest fan of Au Ra, I can't say that this topic really adds any fuel to... whatever fire it is that you are referencing.

Every poll will have a limited scope, some more than others. It's still an interesting link in my opinion.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Melkire - 04-29-2015

I'm a demonic man on Aldenard~
Ohhhhhh oh,
I'm a demonic man,
I'm a nomadic demonic man,
I'm a demonic man on Aldenard~

(04-29-2015, 05:32 PM)Kage Wrote: Eh, in my world one race will just be more "popular" and Lalafell still in a minority, most especially among RPers I bet.

Funny story about this, I logged into my Lalafell alt yesterday and was zoomed in at "body shot" zoom factor while I made changes to the HUD and communicated in LS. Started moving around when I noticed this HUUUUUUGE tuco-tuco next to me. "HOLY SHIT DID THEY ADD A NEW MOB??? ........ oh wait. That's uh. That's terrifying. o_O"

Lesson learned, Eorzea looks REALLY DIFFERENT WHEN YOU'RE THREE TO FOUR FULMS HIGH.

More on-topic, I don't treat PvE player avatars as "visible". They form a backdrop in my mind, and that backdrop is a generic blob of a crowd. So non-roleplayer racial statistics don't really impact my roleplay or my character's perceptions of racial statistics.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - TheLastCandle - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 05:32 PM)Kage Wrote: Eh, in my world one race will just be more "popular" and Lalafell still in a minority, most especially among RPers I bet.

We of the taller pointy-eared race will be right there with you, little bro. Right there with you.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Iex - 04-29-2015

Snipped at request.

More on topic: Basically... the new race or new class will always be SUPER POPULAR before release. Because SHINY NEW Flavor of the Month. Just look at Ninja of FFXIV or DK of WoW. Polls like that are really not that useful.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - SessionZero - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 05:43 PM)K Wrote:
(04-29-2015, 05:38 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote: I didn't expect anything else. It's the new race coming in Heavensward. Of course people are excited for it. Once the novelty wears off, however, things will balance back out and I sincerely doubt dragon people are going to have a longterm popularity over cat people.

While Zyrus may not be the largest fan of Au Ra, I can't say that this topic really adds any fuel to... whatever fire it is that you are referencing.

Every poll will have a limited scope, some more than others. It's still an interesting link in my opinion.

I believe the fire she is referencing is the one that starts every time someone makes a thread about Au Ra and about halfway through it devolves into people who are unhappy with what we were given and people who like what we were given butting heads.

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Desu Nee - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 05:46 PM)Iex Wrote: ((Moderator Note: Amending quote))

Snipped at request.

More on topic: Basically... the new race or new class will always be SUPER POPULAR before release. Because SHINY NEW Flavor of the Month. Just look at Ninja of FFXIV or DK of WoW. Polls like that are really not that useful.
I'm so so sorry.

[Image: f7b.png]

RE: A Heavensward Race Survey (From Reddit) - Iex - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 05:54 PM)Desu Nee Wrote: I'm so so sorry.

[Image: f7b.png]

./giggle fit.

And then... oh god.. as I know what the person is about to do.