Hydaelyn Role-Players
Feedback for moderation policy post - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Feedback for moderation policy post (/showthread.php?tid=11381)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Fox - 04-29-2015

Thanks for clarification on that Freelance. Smile 
Yeah I knew the gil-for-art is not acceptable, as I posted it on my tumblr as a reminder.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - cuideag - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 08:11 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Bannings should be posted in threads. Warnings should be posted in threads.

(04-29-2015, 08:19 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I think Warren is joking, but Something Awful does this with its Leper's Colony.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php

It also shows in the threads. I do think they should expire, but I'm ok with them remaining on record.

I agree with this. ^ Bit skeptical about "mob justice" but I think it isn't unreasonable to have ban/warning records somewhere if not in the threads where they are distributed.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Kellach Woods - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 08:07 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I think someone should have to commit a moderate offence to be perma banned. Think of it, someone could get one a month, never have 2 at the same time, and then suddenly, 10 months later post a meme and go straight from nothing to permaban.

Said scenario should never actually occur as per the rules themselves.

Forum Rules Wrote:Warning points last for 4 weeks from the time the warning was issued.

They'd be at 2 points across all months, post a meme and that'd be their minor for the month, leaving them at either 2 or 4 points.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Warren Castille - 04-29-2015

Hypothetical:

WHAT THE FUCK YOU BITCH

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Lets people know what not to do. God knows I've done it prior!

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Melkire - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 08:34 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Hypothetical:

WHAT THE FUCK YOU BITCH

I've seen this on SA and elsewhere. I don't think it's unreasonable. It's an extra step on the mods' part for extra transparency, but I'd be fine with that. Whether this qualifies as "public shaming" is something I can't answer for everyone, but I think in clear-cut cases of violations, it's not shaming so much as reinforcing the fact that the rules are still there.

EDIT: I forgot the 20-max-per-year clause that was the crux of the dscussion. Whoops. Chucked that part of my post out b4 more confusion.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Warren Castille - 04-29-2015

Trust me: I've gotten more than my share of warnings. I'd love to know where they came from!

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Fox - 04-29-2015

WHAT THE FUCK YOU BITCH

I agree with this as well. I've not been warned before but I'd like to make sure I'm not treading on things just incase. I usually don't post charged posts but I also want to make sure what is or what is not acceptable.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Moonlit - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 08:43 PM)Foxberry Wrote:

WHAT THE FUCK YOU BITCH

I agree with this as well. I've not been warned before but I'd like to make sure I'm not treading on things just incase. I usually don't post charged posts but I also want to make sure what is or what is not acceptable.

I would also be in support of this!

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - K'nahli - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 08:39 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Trust me: I've gotten more than my share of warnings. I'd love to know where they came from!

You should get a message with a link to the post in question along with the specific violation should you ever when you next do something bold ^^

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Zyrusticae - 04-29-2015

I think the way twitter is handling it is very interesting:
[Image: QYDt6tU.jpg]

The user can't proceed without deleting the tweet, and seeing the tweet in their face forces the user to confront what they did wrong. I know that it's all too easy to see the warning message and then just scroll past and continue on business as usual. It's impossible to do that if your account is locked until you face the music.

I don't know how difficult this would be to implement, however, and I understand that the moderation doesn't want posts to be deleted anymore either. Perhaps a pop-up showing the post in a window that requires the user to click on a link in the middle of the page could serve the same purpose.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 08:28 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Not joking. Warnings shouldn't go away. Strikes in baseball eventually mean an out, right?

Don't forgive mistakes so simply. If people are being offensive, don't let it drop so easily.

I think that is a horrible idea. It works on a site like SA, because you can just buy a new account. Banning is just a 10$ lesson.

Here there is nothing like that.

I do not apologize for the fact that sometimes people don't like what I say. I understand that sometimes it might be considered offensive or disruptive. However people need the chance to push the boundaries from time to time. /And/ people need to be able to learn where the boundaries are, without having mistakes be permanent.

Again, bringing up Something awful. There is a huge population of lurkers, many people will wait years to post, since if they fuck up, it's on their record forever. So they feel safer not posting.

I'd rather have people post than not, and not hold their mistakes against them. I'm reasonably ok with the warnings being permanent, but I think a Leper's colony type shame zone would hurt this community more than help it.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 08:33 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(04-29-2015, 08:07 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I think someone should have to commit a moderate offence to be perma banned. Think of it, someone could get one a month, never have 2 at the same time, and then suddenly, 10 months later post a meme and go straight from nothing to permaban.

Forum Rules Wrote:Warning points last for 4 weeks from the time the warning was issued.

They'd be at 2 points across all months, post a meme and that'd be their minor for the month, leaving them at either 2 or 4 points.

Yes, but there is a blanket 20 points a year = ban.

Edit: Apparently osric's post means I read that wrong.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Melkire - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 08:58 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(04-29-2015, 08:33 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:

Yes, but there is a blanket 20 points a year = ban.

Edit: Apparently osric's post means I read that wrong.

Whoops, no, you read it right, I forgot the per-year clause. It was a late addition and it slipped my mind as a result. As Freelance said, that number 20 is under supervision and might be changed later down the line.

On a personal level, Nat, halfway there for 1/3rd of the year seems bad, but you've improved lately. Wouldn't be surprised to see that trend continue, especially in light of temp bans that will see actual use now. Having time to cool off does loads to curb bad posting habits. If you're worried about pre-existing warnings, that's something we can discuss in PMs, as I don't think we'll be counting those, only the ones from now moving forward. FW, please correct me if I'm wrong.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - Jancis - 04-29-2015

Looks okay to me.

I'm comfortable with the wordage being in favor of the moderators. Overall I've seen them very lenient and shouldn't have policy held against them for unattractive spectacle behavior.

If enforcing it to the letter ends up feeling off, then people will leave regardless.

Thanks for taking the time to refresh and rehash what the forum needs.

RE: Feedback for moderation policy post - LiadansWhisper - 04-29-2015

I think that people should also remember that sometimes someone has a bad day.

Doesn't excuse doing wrong, but if someone is behaving in a very out of character fashion (or seems obviously upset without provocation), I'd like to think that a short forum vacation would be the correct response to that, as opposed to simply throwing them out.