Hydaelyn Role-Players
Regarding Au Ra speech - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Regarding Au Ra speech (/showthread.php?tid=12547)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Aysun - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 03:25 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(07-12-2015, 03:20 PM)Aysun Wrote:
(07-12-2015, 02:59 PM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote: I don't really see where in the MSQ people are saying the WoL can understand Doman through the Echo. There's not a scene where a Doman NPC says "You can understand me?", I assume they speak the same language as Eorzeans. Just because they are Japanese inspired doesn't mean they speak Japanese. I'd like to see a full sentence spoken in Doman language, if they have any, to be proven otherwise.

The NIN storyline - your Doman trainer often makes comments about having to learn Eorzean, and you are helping him to learn it properly. He also says things like 'in my language the word is..' and says a Japanese word. Evidence is there that Domans speak Japanese.

You mean Doman! But the point is that they do likely speak some other language hen super-duper MSQ hero isn't around, not that it would matter much because the game -does- tell us that our Echo powers include being able to understand all languages. Otherwise, we wouldn't know what many of the beast tribes, moogles and dragon are saying.

(07-12-2015, 03:20 PM)Aysun Wrote:
(07-12-2015, 03:15 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Hey, if Au Ra are roleplayed to speak Japanese, I insist y'all roleplay in British English, as per the MSQ dialogue!

Gehe.

I do. Wink (Or, mostly. I go close to Limsan!)

...but it's not really British English that they speak in game. Some NPCs use some more...archaic terms, but I can't imagine all of them are actively in use across the sea, so to speak.

I mean, Japanese = Doman. xD Splittin' hairs, there.

And yes, it's not British English that they speak, but it's closer to that than American English. The various accents lend to the regions from whence the characters hail. Ul'dahn seems like a dirty British, whereas Sharlayans/Ishgardians speak a more archaic British, Limsans have like a really really dirty British, Gridanians have a more proper, less accented British (or at least, the padjal do!).. Ala Mhigans now sound rather Scottish. xD

It's fun! Big Grin

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Spethah - 07-12-2015

I've kinda accepted that Mhigans speech something along the lines of German. Elezen having French words, Doman having Japanese words (the NIN questline does show this), Xaela having something close to Mongolian, Miqo'te Seekers having a Bantu language (Example: Swahili), Some midlanders having lost Gaelic words (Probably Scottish given how close to dead it is irl) and so forth might be a thing and in all honestly I kinda accept it. 

Do I see a full blown language in an real life language? Sorta no. I can see a resemblance to a real life language, but nothing along the lines of outright taking it in it's entirely.  

That said, if you wanna do that kinda thing then go for it. I think it's a nice boost of flavour if done correctly.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Seriphyn - 07-12-2015

While the more educated NPCs seem to speak with archaic vocabulary, I assure you that the lesser-educated NPCs most definitely speak in a British English manner. This includes word usage and even sentence structure. I'm from London myself, but now live in the US, working and living alongside Americans. Our differences in speech is a constant point of discussion and humour. So, it's a particular point of interest for me. I am able to identify modern[-ish] British English speech very easily, and it is all over the game (again, not so much in the fancier NPCs).

And no, 3.0 Ilberd does not speak in a Scottish accent. It is a northern English accent!

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - allgivenover - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 03:15 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Hey, if Au Ra are roleplayed to speak Japanese, I insist y'all roleplay in British English, as per the MSQ dialogue!

Gehe.

On Rakka'li I totally roleplayed with the written dialogue.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Azureus Scipio - 07-12-2015

It was slightly referenced to i the Nin storyline Doma has its own language... There is also nothing in the lore that states wether or not they speak it anymore... Nor does it really hurt anyone that other players want to speak Doman... so we should just live and let live ^.^

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Kismet - 07-12-2015

As long as nobody's literally doing "Wow, Eorzea! Sugoi! Kawaii desu! Uguu~" then I don't care.

...Much. <_<

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - ArmachiA - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 01:56 PM)Graeham Wrote: I think it adds a lot of flavour to the game world for each race/nation to have its own language so if it can be pulled off in a plausible manner than I'm all for it!

I would, however, urge that people do it tastefully. I've seen a fair few role-players have their character use terms that don't really fit the setting (such as 'senpai') or they're borderline offensive in their implications by using stuff like 'herro'.

One good way to show a character as not being able to speak a language very well is to simply have them struggle to describe something or use the correct word if it's something fairly uncommon that they're addressing.

Senpai can work in a non-weird setting, since it just means someone who is senior to you in your station (Not someone of a higher position then you, but someone who has been there longer), but given the "Notice Me Senpai" meme, I'd certainly actively avoid it. There's no excuse for HERRO though. Wow.

If people are going to use Japanese, which is fine, I strongly urge to at least study the language beyond that which we learn in anime. It'd actually a really interesting, artistic language, but a huge bitch to learn.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Blue - 07-12-2015

Ideally I prefer to use, and see used, emotes like "/em speaks to his connational in their native language, difficult to understand to those not from Othard.", and if someone watching thinks he should understand, they can send me a tell and I'll tell him what my character said.

To see dialogues in a directly uncomprehensible language bothers me, and I think it'd bother others too if I started RPing in Italian in /say even though I can. More than anything though, it's mixed English and Japanese that makes me cringe ("You're so kawaii, Clive-chan!"), or the use of romanji in general. If you really want to RP in Japanese and not do it with an English emote like the one I mentioned earlier, at least use kanji so that I just see jibberish and don't bother trying to understand OOCly.

As for what I do with my Au Ras, I tend to use those emotes when open-RPing. When close-RPing in LS instead, we use brackets to indicate that a certain english dialogue is being pronounced in Doman, so that those with Echo (most of us have IC Echo in our LS) can directly read and understand.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Jana - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 03:22 PM)Sarnai Kha Wrote: Then explain how the WoL is able to understand Dragon speak during the 3.0 MSQ if the echo doesn't allow it.

Show Content

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Blue - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 02:59 PM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote: I don't really see where in the MSQ people are saying the WoL can understand Doman through the Echo. There's not a scene where a Doman NPC says "You can understand me?", I assume they speak the same language as Eorzeans. Just because they are Japanese inspired doesn't mean they speak Japanese. I'd like to see a full sentence spoken in Doman language, if they have any, to be proven otherwise.

All the balloons with a different frame indicate that the other person is speaking another language that we understand thanks to the Echo. In particular, Lahabrea brings this up in one of your first encounters. He first speaks in Ascian (and his balloon is black/reddish), and upon seeing that our character understands what he's saying, he goes like "Ah, yes, the Echo, then I might as well address you in your language.".

Examples of other balloons like this are seen when talking to Primals, meaning that they too speak a different language that we understand as Eorzean thanks to the Echo.

That the Echo allows us to understand multiple languages is mentioned more in 1.0 than in 2.0 (because in 1.0 it was a very common power), but it definitely does.

It's not a coincidence either that when we are prompted answers to give to an NPC, these answers are all written in that NPC's accent/dialect, indicating that not only we understand what they say, but can speak back in it, as well.

tl;dr: Echo with languages works in a similar way of how Harry Potter could speak with snakes. He understood them as if they were speaking his tongue, and spoke back in what he thought to be his tongue, while to outside ears, in was in fact the opposite language.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Sarnai Kha - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 06:25 PM)Jana Wrote:
(07-12-2015, 03:22 PM)Sarnai Kha Wrote: Then explain how the WoL is able to understand Dragon speak during the 3.0 MSQ if the echo doesn't allow it.

Show Content
Alphanaud said after that cutscene though that he was able to understand the Dragon because of it's sheer force of will, which debunks the idea that the Dragon spoke to them in their native language.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Gone. - 07-12-2015

For my two Raen, I place all of their Doman musings in brackets like a film script with some additional emotive dialog to note that they're speaking in their native language. Classiest way to go about it imo.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Senryo - 07-12-2015

I want to thank everyone for their input! I've certainly found it illuminating.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Lost River - 07-12-2015

There are multiple languages in the world; as given in the NIN storyline and the whole bit with the Xaela; as they also have a cross-tribal language as well as some also use clicks and whistles. 

The whole WoL can transcend all language barriers; as for others speaking a familiar language, it does not state for example, how long the Xaela been in Ishgard since Ishgard lands were there, long enough for there to be bloodshed between the Ishgards and Xaela as well as co-existence.

As for other things, language barriers do evolve and dilute, especially when it comes to conquest. It isn't impossible to say, that a language shift would be when the Empire took over Othard and such, as the Empire seems to speak the same language as the Eorzeans, of course their tongue and teaching people that language would come. We have real world examples of that very thing.

But, in the short of it. Its possible, to have different languages, be intermediate, or know fluent Eorzean tongue and other languages tied to their regional differences and sometimes racial influence, such as say, one Xaela's tribe who speaks with clicks and whistles.

RE: Regarding Au Ra speech - Jana - 07-12-2015

(07-12-2015, 06:41 PM)Sarnai Kha Wrote:
(07-12-2015, 06:25 PM)Jana Wrote:

Show Content
Alphanaud said after that cutscene though that he was able to understand the Dragon because of it's sheer force of will, which debunks the idea that the Dragon spoke to them in their native language.

Show Content