Hydaelyn Role-Players
PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free (/showthread.php?tid=13257)

Pages: 1 2

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Warren Castille - 09-03-2015

Being undergeared isn't a sin. Being willfully ignorant of your responsibility to your party is.

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Caspar - 09-03-2015

I feel like even the gear excuse is getting worn out too.
I think it was a while ago, and I cannot remember specifics, but a War main who raids with me said that even at below max level, like 50-40, a tank should be able to maintain hate on a single target over any DPS in the game just by doing aggro combos. "You're too overgeared!" is just something I hear a lot that is in practice simply not true. Unsurprisingly, when I started to lvl my Balmung character, the same instances of me stealing hate on single targets from tanks happened, even with terrible gear. It's tougher to maintain aggro in AoE, but even that can be compensated for with additional uses of Overpower/Flash/Circle of Scorn.

But really that doesn't matter too much. I think what matters is people being willing to take responsibility for their role in the party and do their best to learn to play their class properly.

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Arcian - 09-03-2015

(09-03-2015, 10:23 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: I just say hi and start wrecking. If they complain I can't hear them over the sound of MY MEDITATION SPAM.

That's pretty much my stance on it.

I'm competent at what I do as a DPS, so I see no reason to offer a disclaimer when I go to punch the hell out of things.

My adventures in tanking are another story; since I'm still new to it (half a level to go to PLD), I'll just offer a quick, "Hey all, just letting you know I haven't tanked this before. Please bear with me," and thank them for doing so at the end of the instance if they stick around. New tanks can cause some (or a lot of) frustration, so I figure it's only polite.

What Warren said also rings true, though. Being a liability to your party makes things harder for everyone.

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Cato - 09-03-2015

If anything, role-players should be able to pull their own weight in PvE content. I'd worry if a role-player was so focused on role-play that they never learned to play the game itself properly because...that's not really an excuse, it's just a matter of being selfish. It also reflects badly on role-players as a whole when a select few try to blame their hobby as the reason for poor performance.

If someone's genuinely struggling or new then that's a different story, but if they're aware that they're not going to perform well then it's their responsibility to let the rest of the group know...or do research prior to specific fights. Claiming that it's because they're a role-player is just silly. You can be an enthusiastic role-player and still succeed at PvE/PvP content.

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Imo - 09-05-2015

Being a roleplayer is not an excuse to suck at the game. It's really not that hard to be at least passably competent. Also, most people I know who are very good at roleplaying are also very good at PVE, and I doubt it's a coincidence.

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Flickering Ember - 09-05-2015

I'm not that great of a player but I don't see the need to provide a disclaimer or make excuses for it. There are many non-RPers who are not skilled either.

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Oli! - 09-05-2015

I don't really see why people are taking this post seriously.

If it were meant to be taken seriously, it would be written differently.

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Steel Wolf - 09-05-2015

I am eager to read the results of this Poe's Law Litmus Test. :D

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - LiadansWhisper - 09-05-2015

Wouldn't it just be easier to not stand in the fire, not ignore adds, and heal your balls off? Wink

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Edgar - 09-05-2015

Anybody who opens with a disclaimer gets on my good side, because they're willingly opening themselves up to criticism and care enough to let me know of their disadvantages. 

If I'm tanking, you have no idea how helpful this can be, as I immediately begin to get an idea of who is going to cause me issues this entire instance. 

Just know it is not a barrier against critiques against your play style; if you keep ripping aggro off me by attacking other targets or aoeing as I try to regain aggro when another mob catches wind of us (this happens a lot in Stone Vigil), you're gonna hear about it.

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Kellach Woods - 09-05-2015

(09-05-2015, 11:27 AM)Oli! Wrote: I don't really see why people are taking this post seriously.

'cause taking something extremely silly and almost insulting extremely seriously is also a form of humor.

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Glacirus - 09-05-2015

You know...at low levels you can flip this around:

"Hi, I'm an RP'er, this is an alt. I've run this hundreds of times so I know what I'm doing."

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Cato - 09-05-2015

(09-05-2015, 11:27 AM)Oli! Wrote: I don't really see why people are taking this post seriously.

Why wouldn't many people take it at face value? Most of us don't know the OP, we're unfamiliar with his writing style and personality. If I'm joking around with my friends then they're likely to understand that I'm joking around. If I choose to joke around with acquaintances and strangers, however, then they're liable to misunderstand my intent.

There's also the unfortunate fact that there are people who post this sort of thing in a serious manner and so that's another reason why the 'humour' may be lost. Added to the fact that 'humour' is very subjective in itself and there's people with English as a second or third language who post on this site...

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Zezeki - 09-05-2015

Best tank NA. Don't make me carry you.

RE: PVE Nubcakes: Hardcore RP'er Disclaimers Will Set You Free - Caspar - 09-06-2015

It's just my general way of doing things to answer any suggestion or topic posed in earnest.

The poster's other recent topic was similarly scattered and he defended his point pretty strongly, so I don't think he's joking. It's only fair to talk with him reasonably.