Hydaelyn Role-Players
A reasonable story idea - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A reasonable story idea (/showthread.php?tid=13346)

Pages: 1 2

RE: A reasonable story idea - Sylentmana - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 10:28 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Tristan was also a puppet to darker powers, but you're technically correct. That marks one in hundreds, if not thousands, who all succumbed to Ifrit on contact. I digress: less of a promise, more of a virtual guarantee.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. If Tristan was the only one not tempered, then Ifrit wouldn't have been defeated that time and his commander would also not be there to give you quests. It's also stated in dialogue that the Immortal Flames have put down Ifrit on a near regular basis without the WoL's help, though not without significant losses on their part. This all implies that resisting the tempering process is not unheard of, though it is unlikely for the average person.

RE: A reasonable story idea - Warren Castille - 09-11-2015

It's similar to the Company of Heroes, who defeated Titan by hurling hundreds of people at him to try and turn him back. Titan doesn't temper, and he killed all but a handful. Regularly defeating something with "significant losses" isn't a working strategy, since there's infinite Ifrits and limited Flames.

I don't want to go too far off topic here, but being a summoner without the Echo is borrowing trouble and pushes the suspension of disbelief far, increasing exponentially for every additional Primal slain.

RE: A reasonable story idea - allgivenover - 09-11-2015

Tangeant, but while it is not exactly clear where the Raen live in proximity to Doma the fact that they've abandoned their tribal ways and names to take up Doman names and culture suggests that the Raen were part of Doma or so closely tied that they may as well have been.

RE: A reasonable story idea - Sounsyy - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 10:39 AM)Sylentmana Wrote:
(09-11-2015, 10:28 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Tristan was also a puppet to darker powers, but you're technically correct. That marks one in hundreds, if not thousands, who all succumbed to Ifrit on contact. I digress: less of a promise, more of a virtual guarantee.

This all implies that resisting the tempering process is not unheard of, though it is unlikely for the average person.

Since the topic of tempering has come up again, I figured I'd post up the Word of Fernehalwes on the topic. Should clear up some stuff.

Fernehalwes Wrote:GE: Can you give us some details on what happens to a person when they become tempered by a Primal? How much of their identity remains? Also, speaking of “tempered,” some people have taken to the idea that this term was only supposed to be attached to Ifrit, since tempering involves heat, and we see other terms attached to the process with other primals (Drowned / Touched). Care to shed any insight on what’s up with the different names?

MCKF: Back in 1.0, in that first Ifrit battle, that whole thing is that Ifrit has his blue flames that he spits out. That’s what tempers the people. There used to be NPCs that would go “No! I’d rather die than be tempered!” because it takes all of you away. It tempers you, removes part of your will to make you more acceptable to the teachings of Ifrit and the Amal’jaa. How much of the identity remains depends on how much tempering has been done. You don’t get a full tempering in one shot. One tempering will remove some of your will, but you’re still kind of conscious. If you remember back in 1.x you have people in the Serpent Reavers that were “drowned,” but they were still talking about their lives in the past, but now they’ve changed.

GE: So, it’s like a diet tempered.

MCKF: Yeah, there’s still a little bit of them left, but they’re convinced of the true power of Ifrit, Leviathan, etc. The more you get tempered, the more you lose. Currently, there is no known way to cure the tempering. Currently.

For Ifrit, the process is his blue flame. For Leviathan, they’ll dunk you in the holy water and you become Drowned. It’s the same process, but it’s a different kind. For Garuda you’re being touched by her gales of tempering, and so we’re calling it Touched. It’s that element washing over you and taking part of you away. You can assume there will be something similar with Ramuh and Shiva like Shocked or Frozen.

RE: A reasonable story idea - Sylentmana - 09-11-2015

(09-11-2015, 01:05 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Since the topic of tempering has come up again, I figured I'd post up the Word of Fernehalwes on the topic. Should clear up some stuff.

Fernehalwes Wrote:GE: Can you give us some details on what happens to a person when they become tempered by a Primal? How much of their identity remains? Also, speaking of “tempered,” some people have taken to the idea that this term was only supposed to be attached to Ifrit, since tempering involves heat, and we see other terms attached to the process with other primals (Drowned / Touched). Care to shed any insight on what’s up with the different names?

MCKF: Back in 1.0, in that first Ifrit battle, that whole thing is that Ifrit has his blue flames that he spits out. That’s what tempers the people. There used to be NPCs that would go “No! I’d rather die than be tempered!” because it takes all of you away. It tempers you, removes part of your will to make you more acceptable to the teachings of Ifrit and the Amal’jaa. How much of the identity remains depends on how much tempering has been done. You don’t get a full tempering in one shot. One tempering will remove some of your will, but you’re still kind of conscious. If you remember back in 1.x you have people in the Serpent Reavers that were “drowned,” but they were still talking about their lives in the past, but now they’ve changed.

GE: So, it’s like a diet tempered.

MCKF: Yeah, there’s still a little bit of them left, but they’re convinced of the true power of Ifrit, Leviathan, etc. The more you get tempered, the more you lose. Currently, there is no known way to cure the tempering. Currently.

For Ifrit, the process is his blue flame. For Leviathan, they’ll dunk you in the holy water and you become Drowned. It’s the same process, but it’s a different kind. For Garuda you’re being touched by her gales of tempering, and so we’re calling it Touched. It’s that element washing over you and taking part of you away. You can assume there will be something similar with Ramuh and Shiva like Shocked or Frozen.

That makes sense, though I still think there must be a way to resist or even avoid the tempering process all together. After all, the Allagans invented Summoning and they would have to have some way of dealing with the tempering process. Though I think we've gotten way off topic now.

RE: A reasonable story idea - ZacharyVolfire - 09-11-2015

You need to experience a primal Aetheral energies to be an actual summoner. An example I'll use is from my own plot. My character is friend with the warriors of light so he got caught up in helping prevent summoning or even participate in the preparations of planning one. I Lore wise the summoner needs to experience the energies around the primal in question and also in combat. Nowhere it says you have to fight the primal directly ? Just experience it's attack (An example your own the boat where the warriors battle leviathan but your doing the driving while they do the snake fishing. Zach then researched energies in the air while they fought. Thus he came to an understanding of leviathan energies and is now working to transcribe it into material form. This is something sorta plausible and how Zach 'in a variety of ways' gathered other energies. There's more then one way to skin a cat so if you try to explain a plausible reason other then just cause then it helps out a lot. As for summoning horses. THANKS TO FREAKING ALPHINAUD TASTING THE RAINBOW! It seems with the right equations,runes, or just lucky main character prowess. Summons (like carbuncle) can have slight appearance and skill changes according to the summoner (I WANT AN OBSIDIAN CARBUNCLE DANGIT.) So maybe if you chose to make your egi like horses it'd be more accepted? Other task that can help with summoning-> ALLAGAN RESEARCH! Allagans were masters of binding things against their will to serve them and most of our abilities are from tomes from the very same folk. These are just small points i was given while working on my wiki and discussing lore. Hope it helps.