Hydaelyn Role-Players
Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful (/showthread.php?tid=14028)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Edgar - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 07:34 PM)Edelweiss Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 06:55 PM)SicketySix Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 06:10 PM)Edelweiss Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 05:58 PM)V Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 08:47 AM)SicketySix Wrote: Anything that trys to send me a strong message thru any kind of media gets ignored.

The fact that you are on the internet contradicts this.

Heeh. I had a marketing professor in college that said once that ppl who say that persuasion through media holds no power over them are typically the ones who are persuaded the most because they feel that the choices they have been subtly guided to are their own Evil

Straight white American gun loving Republican who will vote for Donald Trump.

How else may I prove you wrong today?Smile

[...]

Did not mean to offend. Like I said, it was what a professor in college lectured on once - not an opinion i conjured up myself just to contradict you. Still, I'm not certain how claiming any of those things can be used as empirical evidence that you are impervious to media suggestion.

Every media site, show, etc. is saying NOT to vote for Trump.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - SicketySix - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 05:58 PM)Valeera Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 08:47 AM)SicketySix Wrote: Anything that trys to send me a strong message thru any kind of media gets ignored.

The fact that you are on the internet contradicts this.

Heeh. I had a marketing professor in college that said once that ppl who say that persuasion through media holds no power over them are typically the ones who are persuaded the most because they feel that the choices they have been subtly guided to are their own Evil

[...]

Did not mean to offend. Like I said, it was what a professor in college lectured on once - not an opinion i conjured up myself just to contradict you. Still, I'm not certain how claiming any of those things can be used as empirical evidence that you are impervious to media suggestion.
It was a jok, I was not offended in any waySmile
And for instance, because everyone is all "ohhhhh guns are bad" owning a gun would prove that media does not have a hold of me. But everything was meant in joking
Smile

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Val - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 07:30 PM)SicketySix Wrote: I need to change what I previously said, I've watches Arrow as well, thought it was pretty good but eventually got bored. I have thought about watching Flash because isn't that the same boy that was in Arrow?

I watched Arrow for the first season. After the second I decided I was done with it. It had promise but, to me, it just got very campy and very awful very quickly. Flash seemed to be exactly the same way, and I haven't seen anything out of it to tell me otherwise.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - V'aleera - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 07:44 PM)Val Wrote: I watched Arrow for the first season. After the second I decided I was done with it. It had promise but, to me, it just got very campy and very awful very quickly. Flash seemed to be exactly the same way, and I haven't seen anything out of it to tell me otherwise.

If camp is the issue, you might enjoy Marvel's Netflix series (Daredevil and the upcoming Jessica Jones). They're a lot more grounded in nature and a bit grittier in presentation.

Also I'd prefer to have this discussion about awful media personalities with awful overcombs moved elsewhere.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Val - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 07:46 PM)V Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 07:44 PM)Val Wrote: I watched Arrow for the first season. After the second I decided I was done with it. It had promise but, to me, it just got very campy and very awful very quickly. Flash seemed to be exactly the same way, and I haven't seen anything out of it to tell me otherwise.

If camp is the issue, you might enjoy Marvel's Netflix series (Daredevil and the upcoming Jessica Jones). They're a lot more grounded in nature and a bit grittier in presentation.

Also I'd prefer to have this discussion about awful media personalities with awful overcombs moved elsewhere.

Yeah, I actually watched Daredevil and loved it. I'm looking forward to Jessica Jones =)

I have to admit that campy stuff just isn't for me unless it's some sort of B or C-movie. Then I at least go into it expecting it, you know?

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - K'hatos - 10-27-2015

If Super Boy became Superman, how come Super Girl never became Superwoman?  That always bothered me.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Faye - 10-27-2015

Darn feminazis ruining everything with equality and stuff.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - V'aleera - 10-27-2015

(10-27-2015, 08:49 PM)Faye Wrote: Darn feminazis ruining everything with equality and stuff.

I'm all for feminism and all for equality, but this pilot got kind of ridiculous with it. It was a constant stream of on the nose "I'm so glad there's a female super hero/what you don't think she do it because she's a GIRL?!!". Even the villain had an over-dramatic line like "On my planet women BOW before men!"

It was almost as bad as the Buffy season 6 episode where she beat a villain by crushing the two magical orbs he held in a leather sack at the front of his waist.

Getting beyond that though, it's got a very robust female cast, decent writing, and special effects on par with its peers in the genre. The lead actress in particular really nails the character and is one of my top reasons to be optimistic about the show.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Oli! - 10-28-2015

(10-27-2015, 08:48 PM)K Wrote: If Super Boy became Superman, how come Super Girl never became Superwoman?  That always bothered me.

It's every girl's dream not to age.

Or something.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Sylentmana - 11-04-2015

(10-27-2015, 08:48 PM)Khatos Wrote: If Super Boy became Superman, how come Super Girl never became Superwoman?  That always bothered me.

Super Boy never became Superman. He's an entirely different character who is as angsty as he is irrelevant.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Vyce - 11-04-2015

(10-27-2015, 07:37 PM)SicketySix Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 05:58 PM)V Wrote: The fact that you are on the internet contradicts this.

[...]

It was a jok, I was not offended in any waySmile
And for instance, because everyone is all "ohhhhh guns are bad" owning a gun would prove that media does not have a hold of me. But everything was meant in joking
Smile
Actually, it wouldn't. Because people who like guns and the companies that want to sell them also do the same thing.

Marketing is not just "YOU CAN BUY THIS FOR 19.99!!"

Marketing is also me paying someone attractive yet relatable to wear a certain thing and walk around where people who will probably like that thing hang out.
Marketing is you going to a bar, having a good experience, and then bringing your friends next time.
Your forum avatar and signature are marketing.
The layout of this website is marketing.
Everything on every search engine is marketing.

Basically everything on the internet is in some way marketing. Reddit and Imgur are marketing for hits, and their users are marketing for upvotes.

Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr users are marketing for attention, which in turn makes the companies money. They WANT you to go there. They WANT you to load another page, because each page that loads even the tiniest ad makes them money. You don't have to click the ad. The ad loading is enough because you the ad is now visible to you. You can scroll past it, but for a split second it passed your field of vision.

This website does not have advertisements...or does it? It advertises FF14 in its entirety, but the transactions taking place here are increases in the size of the RP community. RP is the prduct, activity is the currency.

Supergirl is marketing DC comics, the Justice League Franchise, the Superman Franchise, the Supergirl Franchise. Adding feminism gains them the support of millenials and tryhard parents who, unfortunately, have money and will buy DC things.
Companies don't toss concepts in your face poorly when they actually care about them (unless they have an annoying staff member obsessed with the topic), they do it so that the message is very clear: FEMINISM GIVE US YOUR MONEY.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - -no longer matters- - 11-04-2015

(11-04-2015, 10:52 AM)Sylentmana Wrote:
(10-27-2015, 08:48 PM)K Wrote: If Super Boy became Superman, how come Super Girl never became Superwoman?  That always bothered me.

Super Boy never became Superman. He's an entirely different character who is as angsty as he is irrelevant.
Incorrect, Superboy in the Golden and Silver Age of comics was in fact the adventures of a young Clark Kent.

The Superboy you are referring to is Conner Kent he is actually a clone of Clark Kent and Lex Luthor, he was introduced in 1993 (Maybe it was 94 I don't feel like wiki-ing), and as of the New 52 he's the clone of the future psychotic son of Superman and Lois Lane.

Wink

The more you know.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Vyce - 11-04-2015

To branch these topics together,

I have no interest in Supergirl innately. I think she's a stupid character that was only created to "female empower" and does not fit the Superman story naturally.

With that in mind, I have been bombarded with Supergirl the past few weeks. Ads, billboards, people talking.

Have I chosen to acknowledge those ads? No. I have skipped, scrolled past, glanced, and just been generally uninterested in the topic since it started.
But the inescapable fact is that I was made aware that the show exists. Like it or not, the existence of the show has been registered by my brain some way some how. Eventually I see a topic on it, and even though I will never watch the show by choice (no cable, and I don't series binge on Netflix unless I wanted to see it from the start), I checked to see if it was good.

This very thread is marketing the show just by discussing it, which in turn markets all the things the show markets.

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Sylentmana - 11-04-2015

(11-04-2015, 11:55 AM)Gwen - Dinah Wrote:
(11-04-2015, 10:52 AM)Sylentmana Wrote:

Incorrect, Superboy in the Golden and Silver Age of comics was in fact the adventures of a young Clark Kent.

The Superboy you are referring to is Conner Kent he is actually a clone of Clark Kent and Lex Luthor, he was introduced in 1993 (Maybe it was 94 I don't feel like wiki-ing), and as of the New 52 he's the clone of the future psychotic son of Superman and Lois Lane.

Wink

The more you know.

Actually, the one I was thinking of doesn't have any Kriptonian blood in him. He uses some kind of kinetic manipulation ability to simulate super strength. He can't even fly and he's super angsty about people comparing him to Superman and his abilities being a "curse". Oh poor baby. Having superhuman god-like abilities is SOOOO hard.Rolleyes

RE: Supergirl pilot wasn't awful - Talisa Rina - 11-04-2015

I tried to watch Supergirl but really I didn't enjoy it. I mean "I am trying to live an average life." I feel like if they wanted to they could have made it about a 14 year old girl instead about her just crashing onto earth instead of her being assistant living a 'normal life' . And the "female" inputs kind of got on my nerves I was "Yes she is female! Yes she is a female figure who is a super hero."
Also when they were "first female super hero to have her own show since Wondwoman." BIRDS OF PREY BIRDS OF PREY! It was made a year after Smallville and wasn't a hit and got campy yes, but man I love it as a teenage girl, it was like 13 years ago.

But the thing was with Supergirl it feels like "Look female super hero show."
I would enjoy it more if it didn't feel pushed and ditzy like I get that is how she is but it felt like too much for one episode and I dunno if they wanted to have young girls to watch the show wouldn't they rather want her to be the thirteen year old girl or entering high school? And what was with the forced love triangle?