Hydaelyn Role-Players
Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? (/showthread.php?tid=14559)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Maril - 12-11-2015

You don't have to RP as your PvE job, lore and that is one thing and if you want to follow it to the tooth then WHM is not an alleyway that's recommendable to take a stroll through, but you really don't have to change what you do for PvE just because you want to RP as something else. One of my alts is an IC conjurer, but OOCly I've only leveled her up to 50 as a bard, because I like the clothing bard has access to more so than robes. People don't walk up to her and call her a bard just because they can see that on her search info. Segregating your class/job from character opens up to a lot more creativity and possibilities, in my opinion ^^ 
Either way there's no shame in whatever you want to pick, you just need to be aware that your choices will attract different crowds Smile

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Nebbs - 12-11-2015

Go for it!

Many people will accept whatever you want to play and rationalise it in their own way. Good RP trumps lore correctness I would say.

I would make the WhiteMage something you are, rather than just play "I am a Whitemage". That way people can relate to you rather than the job/class. So aside from the Whitemage bits, what is your story, what do you love and hate, what are the good things in your past and what are the bad. What is it you are seeking now.. have a goal other than being a  whitemage.

Those that say you ruin their immersion should probably avoid open MMOs, we all have control of what we take from the RP and how we rationalise it. I'll say again, I value good RP interaction and story over lore strictness.

Have fun.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Kismet - 12-11-2015

This question keeps cropping up and my question to the asker is the same every time:

Why does the character NEED to be a White Mage specifically?

The purpose or end goal of a roleplayer's decisions about what traits/abilities/weaknesses to give a character -- and whether or not they make sense within the scope of what's commonly possible in the game's universe -- is typically my concern.

If you're anything like me, I try to think of why the character needs to be special to such a degree. And why I can't just find a way to creatively and logically work around any lore that may not be all that inclusive to what I want to do. If I can't justify the specialness with a reason other than "well, that would be awesome", then I feel like it makes the trait an empty one and doesn't add much to the character. It ends up coming off as vapid, not interesting.

Disclaimer: None of this is to say that if you just want your character to be cool and special, that you can't. I won't police you about that. Do as you like. Everything stated above is just the process that I typically use for creating a character concept.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Pumpkin - 12-12-2015

I think there is lots of wiggle room for being a white mage as through the story the Padjals grow more and more accepting of breaking traditions. I won't give any further details in case spoilers or soomesuch.
I've seen many people roleplay white mages and I seldom see them causing trouble with lore. As others have stated there will be some that have a problem with it but there's people who have a problem with anything. In my opinion so long as you're not blowing up Eorzia or RPing a "god-tier" character you're likely not going to run into many if any problems. 

RPing a white mage does bend lore a tiny bit but I don't think it's enough that you should worry about it.

Take it from someone who RP'd a white mage for quite some time. I never ran into any problems in my time RPing that character.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Verilys - 12-12-2015

(12-10-2015, 04:29 PM)missmizzy4 Wrote: I really want to be a White Mage, but apparently the lore staits only Pajald can be and they are then isolated for using such magic. But you can become a white mage in game as what you are and that...

So do I really have to give up becoming one and switch my characters class/job activities so I can RP with her??

Let me know if their is anyway around this, and if not, I just need feedback! Thanks! Smile Heart

Honestly, I think it mostly depends on the people that you have around you in your everyday RP. See what they're comfortable with and that they would feel to be acceptable in their interpretations of the lore and such. As you've noticed, the topic can get a bit divisive. Smile

Though as was also mentioned, don't feel like you need to have your IC job the same as what you play.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Yssen - 12-12-2015

Nothing is impossible, do as you wish. 

It is also worth noting that there IS another way to become a White Mage other than bowing down to the Elementals. We just don't know exactly what it is yet. Just that Koji Fox said it, and that he described the method as "nefarious" when he spoke of it. Yar.

There are other NPC WHMs running around out there with zero apparent connection to the Shroud (Y'shtola comes to mind). We can only hope to be illuminated as to what the deal is with non-shroud WHMs in the near-ish future. Yar.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - mongi291 - 12-12-2015

(12-12-2015, 05:20 AM)Yssen Wrote: Nothing is impossible, do as you wish. 

It is also worth noting that there IS another way to become a White Mage other than bowing down to the Elementals. We just don't know exactly what it is yet. Just that Koji Fox said it, and that he described the method as "nefarious" when he spoke of it. Yar.

There are other NPC WHMs running around out there with zero apparent connection to the Shroud (Y'shtola comes to mind). We can only hope to be illuminated as to what the deal is with non-shroud WHMs in the near-ish future. Yar.
But Y'shtola is just a CNJ. An especially good one, mind you, especially

Show Content

but still a CNJ, nonetheless.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Yssen - 12-12-2015

I must disagree. She uses Holy before ever entering the Lifestream, her shieldy thing is a WHM ability now, and lastly the production notes given to the VAs list her as a WHM specifically.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Oli! - 12-12-2015

(12-11-2015, 01:46 PM)Kismet Wrote: Why does the character NEED to be a White Mage specifically?

Since the jury is obviously still out on lore compliancy, I think you might have an easier time if you look at your dilemma from a character-construction standpoint, OP.

Start with Kismet's question while taking into account the other character-development based pointers from people on the first page, and see how far you get.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Kaniko Niko - 12-12-2015

(12-12-2015, 06:11 AM)Yssen Wrote: I must disagree. She uses Holy before ever entering the Lifestream, her shieldy thing is a WHM ability now, and lastly the production notes given to the VAs list her as a WHM specifically.

Actually, she uses...

Show Content

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - mongi291 - 12-12-2015

(12-12-2015, 08:13 AM)Kaniko Niko Wrote:
(12-12-2015, 06:11 AM)Yssen Wrote: I must disagree. She uses Holy before ever entering the Lifestream, her shieldy thing is a WHM ability now, and lastly the production notes given to the VAs list her as a WHM specifically.

Actually, she uses...

Show Content
This.
Also, when you first meet her, if you started in Limsa, she's called "Cultured Conjurer" before she's given a name. And her shield is an AST ability, not a WHM one. If anything, being Sharlayan and all, she'd be more likely to be an AST than a WHM. But she is neither. Just a really good Conjurer.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Kellach Woods - 12-12-2015

nothing is impossible

But yea, WHM comes with a certain baggage - Learn it, then decide if you want that baggage or no.

(12-12-2015, 09:08 AM)mongi291 Wrote:

Actually, she uses...

Show Content
This.
Also, when you first meet her, if you started in Limsa, she's called "Cultured Conjurer" before she's given a name. And her shield is an AST ability, not a WHM one. If anything, being Sharlayan and all, she'd be more likely to be an AST than a WHM. But she is neither. Just a really good Conjurer.
At the risk of steering off topic. I must disagree. Even if on the basis of SE's production notes to the VAs alone. That is SE telling the people that portray her and other characters (or that direct the person doing the portrayal) exactly what she is. A WHM, just like Thancred is a THF, Yda is a MNK, etc. Anyway. Did not mean to de-rail from the topic at hand.

To steer back to that, it can be seen that many people have very differing opinions and views on just how prolific WHM is or is not. It will probably be debated endlessly like DRG, right up until SE tosses a bunch of them in our faces in a CSes and quests.

Rarity is not an issue here, and I cannot stress enough that you should just do you. Do as you want. Rock on with your bad self. Be an Avatar possessing half vampire were-burito if that is your thing. Make interesting story and rp. No one here holds the entire ultimania of FFXIV, or even knows for absolute certain what the heck is or isn't in it. The worse that will happen is you'll be wrong about the "nefarious" method's details, should you go that route. Lots of people have had good advice about character work, which is good stuff. You should also remember one of the best rules of good RP. "An Assassin does not run around a crowded tavern telling everyone that they are an Assassin." So, you do have you character become a WHM by whatever method, who is your character going to trust enough to tell? 

Yar.

RE: Is it really impossible to RP if I want my character to become a White Mage? - Faye - 12-12-2015

You can RP whatever you want, and you will surely still find people willing to RP with you if you're a white mage.

However, I'm afraid there's no way to do it within lore and believability if you have any concerns about that (and even if you don't concern yourself with that, please be aware that if you do choose to RP this, some people may try to deter you away from the idea toward something more lore-friendly instead--some people may do it gently, some may not).

(12-12-2015, 10:28 AM)Yssen Wrote:
(12-12-2015, 09:08 AM)mongi291 Wrote:

Actually, she uses...

Show Content
This.
At the risk of steering off topic. I must disagree. Even if on the basis of SE's production notes to the VAs alone. That is SE telling the people that portray her and other characters (or that direct the person doing the portrayal) exactly what she is. A WHM, just like Thancred is a THF, Yda is a MNK, etc. Anyway. Did not mean to de-rail from the topic at hand.

To steer back to that, it can be seen that many people have very differing opinions and views on just how prolific WHM is or is not. It will probably be debated endlessly like DRG, right up until SE tosses a bunch of them in our faces in a CSes and quests.

Rarity is not an issue here, and I cannot stress enough that you should just do you. Do as you want. Rock on with your bad self. Be an Avatar possessing half vampire were-burito if that is your thing. Make interesting story and rp. No one here holds the entire ultimania of FFXIV, or even knows for absolute certain what the heck is or isn't in it. The worse that will happen is you'll be wrong about the "nefarious" method's details, should you go that route. Lots of people have had good advice about character work, which is good stuff. You should also remember one of the best rules of good RP. "An Assassin does not run around a crowded tavern telling everyone that they are an Assassin." So, you do have you character become a WHM by whatever method, who is your character going to trust enough to tell? 

Yar.
While Thancred may be a THF, Yda is not a MNK either. She's just a PGL. I don't get this whole VA thing. If Yda's a MNK, and Y'shtola's a WHM, then why are never seen using Chakras and Succor, respectively, and why do they act like they don't even know what one of those job is? Honestly until I either hear word of god about it (VAs doesn't really count, IMO. They could have been told that just to make them understand better their character's role) or see anything in-game, I'll take the skeptic route and say they are just a PGL and a CNJ. That being said, yeah, we should avoid going off-topic.