Hydaelyn Role-Players
OOC Race Change to IC implications - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: OOC Race Change to IC implications (/showthread.php?tid=14596)

Pages: 1 2

RE: OOC Race Change to IC implications - Noirelle - 12-14-2015

(12-14-2015, 03:30 AM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote:
(12-14-2015, 03:21 AM)Noirelle Wrote: Pretty sure everyone gave her shit. I mean the MSQuests that lead up to meeting her all detail how she's blah blah blah and no one really liked her except for mama bear dearest.

Okay so being half-bread may throw a wrench in her Ishgardian arc.

I guess there's the whole "the Mongrel" thing... but... my point was that as far as I can remember there isn't any indication that people's grumping about her had to do specifically with her being a half-breed. People will tend to grasp at whatever straw they can when it comes time to insult others, and so if they had other reasons for disdain towards her (and let's be fair, sassy headstrong badass women do tend to draw the ire of men who just can't handle the rawrness), it seems like taking some stabs at her heritage would just be an easy way to go. Which means that it's entirely plausible that someone else as a half-breed might not have the same reaction from others, especially if they keep their racial origin on the down-low. Basically letting others assume she's merely fully one or the other, rather than parading down the street yelling "I'M A BIG OL' HALFIE, WHAT'CHU GOT ON ME WORLD".

Ahhh now if only I could find a nice midway point between Elezen and Midlahahaha there's no midpoint between the character models so I'll have to point that out too. Oh and given her background as a whore-for-fun among other things, people have a lot of ammunition to use against her. Ammunition I've seen only one person use aaanyways....you couple that with...

(12-14-2015, 03:30 AM)Graeham Wrote: Well, realistically half-breeds should be distrusted and disliked to varying degrees. Some people will readily accept them, of course, but it's far more interesting in my opinion - and as someone who plays a half-breed (Garlean/Midlander) - to have that potential conflict as a plot point.

A half-breed in Ishgard would be tolerated by the more open minded individuals but the more traditional Ishgardians would not approve - and even taking recent events into account the nation isn't going to change overnight and even if it did there would still need to be discrimination baked into your character's background if you went down that particular route.

A lot of role-players have the habit of treating the characters we side with in the MSQ's as ultimately representative of Eorzea as a whole. That isn't necessarily true though - because there's an immense amount of lore out there detailing how Eorzea isn't a particularly nice place.

...and even in the MSQ's there's a lot of hypocrisy in regards to racism/class discrimination and the like.

...this guy's idea and I think that's the building blocks of someone who either has stupidly high will power or uses the sex as a form of ecstatic escapism from the pressure. 

Speaking of a half-breed...how exactly would that work? Midlander height and pointy ears or a really tall and lanky elezen-height with more rounded ears? Just in case the idea becomes a bit too attractive to pass up but she already carries enough stigma as it is so maybe I could shelf it for another concept.

RE: OOC Race Change to IC implications - Lydia Lightfoot - 12-14-2015

I dunno. I'd go on the tall end of Midlander, and short end of Elezen, either way. That way she'd end up seeming to have some of the height attribute of her origin.

RE: OOC Race Change to IC implications - Noirelle - 12-14-2015

(12-14-2015, 04:32 AM)Calliope Cloverbloom Wrote: I dunno. I'd go on the tall end of Midlander, and short end of Elezen, either way. That way she'd end up seeming to have some of the height attribute of her origin.

Yay I'm already max height middie. Hrm well anyway thanks for the brainstorming and back and forth. I'll still be fully midlander or fully elezen but I won't make that decision at least until after my expedition thing and Chachan delivers the personal Yukimitsu commission. If I'll still feel like being Elezen afterward anyway.

RE: OOC Race Change to IC implications - Lydia Lightfoot - 12-14-2015

Okeydokey! Glad to help.

RE: OOC Race Change to IC implications - Valence - 12-14-2015

From what I have gathered around the Mongrel character of the MSQ, and while there is definitely a colossal amount of racial discrimination over Eorzea (Wildwoods vs Duskwights, Uldans vs refugees or Ala Mighans, or more generally different ethnies confronted to issues and local conflicts and conveniently bringing the blame to the other one...), the Mongrel being a black sheep also has a lot to do with the social ladder situation she was in. She is the child of a noble heir and a commoner housemaid. This is a huge part of the issue, and is considered highly unproper. The fact that she shows physical traits of both races is just the visual manifestation of the "sin" her parents did. The father got away with it due to his station, and is forgiven his excesses, and the mother thrown into the street with the embarassing child.

The problem in very regimented societies with rigid castes is that everything that comes to threaten the social order is systematically cast out. And more importantly, everything must have its place, and remain as it is supposed to be. Something that is by definition out of that order of things, with no real existence, often tends to be equated to a non entity.

The Mongrel is treated exactly like that: an embarassing non entity nobody but the disenfrenchised want to deal with.

It can bring good RP angles I think.

RE: OOC Race Change to IC implications - Vyce - 12-14-2015

I want to point out that quality of life for Hyur in Ishgard leaves a lot to be desired. Halfbreeds are probably even lower on the totem pole. I can't imagine Ishgardian Elezen being accepting of HALF Elezen. It's neither Hyur nor Elezen, and therefor not likely to have a pleasant existence.

If you look at the Mongrel, her life will pretty much be shit.