Hydaelyn Role-Players
Pregnancy and Eorzea - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Pregnancy and Eorzea (/showthread.php?tid=14856)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Pregnancy and Eorzea - LiadansWhisper - 01-07-2016

(01-07-2016, 02:12 PM)Qhora Bajihri Wrote: I don't know. Babies are pretty parasitic, especially early. They attach and feed like any other separate yet internal creature. If a person can show up on the other end of a teleportation spell with all of their fleas and worms and lice and biological entities separate from themselves that cause harm and/or keep them alive like intestinal bacterial colonies, they can probably show up with their baby. So then there's the question of whether teleportation works like a decontamination and every "life" separate from the teleporter is subsequently removed.

As far as we know, babies still have souls, even when they are very small. So, unlike lice or fleas, they have the added difficulty that when you travel the lifestream, their soul could be lost along the way, which would almost certainly lead to miscarriage.

RE: Pregnancy and Eorzea - FreelanceWizard - 01-07-2016

(01-07-2016, 03:49 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(01-07-2016, 02:12 PM)Qhora Bajihri Wrote: I don't know. Babies are pretty parasitic, especially early. They attach and feed like any other separate yet internal creature. If a person can show up on the other end of a teleportation spell with all of their fleas and worms and lice and biological entities separate from themselves that cause harm and/or keep them alive like intestinal bacterial colonies, they can probably show up with their baby. So then there's the question of whether teleportation works like a decontamination and every "life" separate from the teleporter is subsequently removed.

As far as we know, babies still have souls, even when they are very small. So, unlike lice or fleas, they have the added difficulty that when you travel the lifestream, their soul could be lost along the way, which would almost certainly lead to miscarriage.

That was my thought, too. You might end up with the soul being lost, even if the physical body hangs on for a time. That said, I don't think we really know enough about ensoulment in XIV for know for certain, so my thought is purely speculative. Smile (L'yhta's IC advice would be based on "we don't know, so be safe, not sorry.")

"Life" is always a funny thing when talking about magic, too. While we know about (we think Smile ) all the little creatures that live in and on us, magic doesn't necessarily care about them. They may come along for the ride by virtue of being "part" of the whole; or perhaps because they're lacking in souls (if they are -- or the caster believes they are) and so are Matter, like clothing, and not Life; or maybe they're part of the Life's Condition and so are a property of the caster, not independent creatures, for the purposes of the spell. tl;dr, I always caution people about applying our scientific principles to the practice of magic, even when we're talking about things like arcanima. Smile

Now Allagan teleporters might be a different story. They seem to have some sort of aetheric matrix-based transport system (source: Azys Lla MSQ), so I suspect they would consider the mother and child one entity and purge any other contaminants, somewhat like a Star Trek transporter.

Unless they viewed the child as a contaminant.

And if you've done the side quests up there, would that be a surprise? Dodgy

"Women who are pregnant, or may become pregnant, should not use aetheric transporter technology. Discontinue use immediately if you notice any of the following symptoms..."

You could probably start a Rosemary's Baby-esque plotline where a pregnant woman takes a teleport and...

>.>

CactuarCactuarCactuar

RE: Pregnancy and Eorzea - Riven - 01-07-2016

(01-07-2016, 03:49 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:

As far as we know, babies still have souls, even when they are very small.  So, unlike lice or fleas, they have the added difficulty that when you travel the lifestream, their soul could be lost along the way, which would almost certainly lead to miscarriage.
*holds up hand* This brings up another question.  What if you have a woman who's been using the teleport and she's in the extremely, extremely early stages of pregnancy?  As in say conception happened the night before...surely she's probably got what? A week's grace or two before problems could develop?  I think there might be instances of new mothers using the lifestream portal and then finding out 'oh, pregnant!'

(01-07-2016, 07:43 PM)Riven Wrote: *holds up hand* This brings up another question.  What if you have a woman who's been using the teleport and she's in the extremely, extremely early stages of pregnancy?  As in say conception happened the night before...surely she's probably got what? A week's grace or two before problems could develop?  I think there might be instances of new mothers using the lifestream portal and then finding out 'oh, pregnant!'

That's one hell of a pregnancy test. Surprise

RE: Pregnancy and Eorzea - Lost River - 01-07-2016

Or one hell of a way for abortions. . . this is all. .  *shudders*

RE: Pregnancy and Eorzea - Riven - 01-07-2016

(01-07-2016, 07:55 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(01-07-2016, 07:43 PM)Riven Wrote: *holds up hand* This brings up another question.  What if you have a woman who's been using the teleport and she's in the extremely, extremely early stages of pregnancy?  As in say conception happened the night before...surely she's probably got what? A week's grace or two before problems could develop?  I think there might be instances of new mothers using the lifestream portal and then finding out 'oh, pregnant!'

That's one hell of a pregnancy test. Surprise
Oh sweet Sophia I totally did not mean it that way! O_____O

Clarifying before this goes somewhere again!  Mother who had conception the previous night uses portal. Nothing happens.  Uses portal again in two days.  Nothing still happens.  Starts to feel unwell, goes to healer, finds out pregnant.  Ergo possibly banned from the portal usage.  See what I'm getting at?

RE: Pregnancy and Eorzea - Momoka - 01-07-2016

WHAT DARK FORCES DID YOU UNLEASH RIVEN!?

I pretty much shot iced tea out my nose laughing at this.