Hydaelyn Role-Players
Monks of Othard? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Monks of Othard? (/showthread.php?tid=15174)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Monks of Othard? - Josuke - 02-07-2016

Quote:Surely aether infused fighter, fine, that can happen. But it wouldn't be Monks or Fists, as their knowledge is basically near completely lost.

Okay THAT makes more sense.

Yes,im sorry, i was using Monk to describe an Aether Infused Fighter. 

Okay. Now I see. This is much more understandable.

Quote:And if opening chakras was such a normal, everyday occurrence, why don't we see Joe the Farmer running around with flame fists and throwing hadoukens around? WoL is a special snowflake. Keep that in mind. Rest seems to be all trained by Monks, or are Monks who are capable of unlocking them.

Didn't say it was a normal, every day occurrence. Just that USING CHAKRA(not opening chakra gates) could be possible outside of the Fist, by another aether infused person/fighter, hm?

RE: Monks of Othard? - Yssen - 02-07-2016

(02-07-2016, 05:03 PM)Josuke Wrote:
Quote:Surely aether infused fighter, fine, that can happen. But it wouldn't be Monks or Fists, as their knowledge is basically near completely lost.

Okay THAT makes more sense.

Yes,im sorry, i was using Monk to describe an Aether Infused Fighter. 

Okay. Now I see. This is much more understandable.

Quote:And if opening chakras was such a normal, everyday occurrence, why don't we see Joe the Farmer running around with flame fists and throwing hadoukens around? WoL is a special snowflake. Keep that in mind. Rest seems to be all trained by Monks, or are Monks who are capable of unlocking them.

Didn't say it was a normal, every day occurrence.  Just that USING CHAKRA(not opening chakra gates) could be possible outside of the Fist, by another aether infused person/fighter, hm?

You are correct on this last part. From what we have seen displayed in CSes and lore bits every martially inclined Job or Class has some method of channeling aether. Opening chakras is is just a means to and end. You could call it fighting resolve, spiritual pressure, or chocolate dodo waves. The methods may differ, but at the stripped down core it is all the same.

RE: Monks of Othard? - Edric W. - 02-07-2016

Just to get this out of the way, a 'chakra' isn't actually a physical thing that is unlocked, it's simply a term used when someone takes in a large concentration of aether lingering in the world (left there when people die, especially in violent/dramatic ways or in large numbers) and increases their own personal aether capacity. To handle this increase, the recipient's body and mind must be trained in very specific, very strenuous ways or they simply won't be able to 'unlock' that 'chakra'. To actually control the 'chakras' once they're unlocked, that's where the Monk/Fists of Rhalgr training comes in, as a lot of training and concentration is needed to manipulate one's internal aether, even more the case once that aether has increased in quantity.

As for the possibility of Othard having some Monks in it, I think we need to take a look at the most basic detail here: why would a Monk wish to go there?

For starters, the Monks were getting very involved in politics in Gyr Abania before they were almost wiped out, and it doesn't seem likely that any of them would want to leave, especially due to the nature of their religion (and it is a religion, at its core), which is to increase their power in hopes of reaching the heights of their deity, Rhalgr. More of that later, but for now we'll stick to politics. Ala Mhigo warred with the other city states for years, and Ala Mhigans now, even 80 years after the Autumn War, are considered a warring race. Would it be possible for a Mhigan to not have any prejudices against other city states/countries? Perhaps. Is it likely? No.

Now, on to the actual Fists of Rhalgr/Monks and how their 'powers' work. I mentioned earlier that Monks 'unlock their chakras' via areas where a lot of violent, dramatic deaths happen. Gyr Abania is the perfect place for this, and any mentally competent Monk wouldn't want to leave such an ideal place for them to grow stronger. Othard might have its violent areas, and I'm sure with clans like the Dotharl lurking there's a decent amount of lingering aether around. However, I highly doubt this would be a good enough reason for a Monk to move from a perfect location to a sub-par one. Also lacking in Othard, at least from what I can tell from the lore Google has provided me, is a worship of Rhalgr, which is one of the core tenets of the Fists/Monks' life. This goes double for the time when Monks are most likely to have left Ala Mhigo...

When the King of Ruin tried, and almost succeeded, to wipe out the Monks, any who survived the purge would've fled Gyr Abania. We're told that when the Garleans took over Ala Mhigo that most Highlanders (and by extension Mhigans in general) moved to Thanalan, hoping to cash in on the promised riches of Ul'dah. Now, we've already established that the religious aspects of the Monks were quite important to them, so while a place like Ul'dah isn't too ideal, it's no where near as bad as a place under Imperial rule. What was under Imperial rule at the time that the shadow sect Monks were banished, and when the remaining Monks would've fleed Theodoric's attack? Othard. A place where Garleans are in charge, meaning any Twelve worship is abhorred and banned. Not to mention there would be a strict order imposed on the citizens, so any kind of violent or dramatic deaths would be in places the average person, especially an immigrant, wouldn't be able to get to.

Overall, I find it extremely unlikely that a Monk/Fist of Rhalgr would wish to go to Othard, and it would be very special circumstances that someone native to Othard would receive Monk training unless they somehow managed to get in to Gyr Abania and convinced a temple to train them, which would be unlikely due to the aforementioned prejudice against outside races.

Yes, this all makes sense. 

I was using "monk' incorrectly when I made the thread.

So this means that Josuke would be not a 'monk', But an aetheric martial artist. No correlation to Ala Mhigo or the Fist of Rhalgr at all.

Thumbsup

RE: Monks of Othard? - Edric W. - 02-07-2016

(02-07-2016, 06:06 PM)Josuke Wrote: Yes, this all makes sense. 

So this means that Josuke would be not a 'monk', But an aetheric martial artist. No correlation to Ala Mhigo or the Fist of Rhalgr at all.

Thumbsup

Just keep in mind that without the proper training, it's likely that he wouldn't have a lot of aether to manipulate, since he can't 'unlock' any 'chakras'. Unless he has a very high natural aether capacity, he won't be able to do much. So while he might have come across the ability to use aether when he fights, he'll be very limited.

Hope that helps.

Smile

(02-07-2016, 06:17 PM)Edric W. Wrote:
(02-07-2016, 06:06 PM)Josuke Wrote: Yes, this all makes sense. 

Thumbsup

Just keep in mind that without the proper training, it's likely that he wouldn't have a lot of aether to manipulate, since he can't 'unlock' any 'chakras'. Unless he has a very high natural aether capacity, he won't be able to do much. So while he might have come across the ability to use aether when he fights, he'll be very limited.

Hope that helps.

Smile

It's does very much, thank you Big Grin

RE: Monks of Othard? - Caspar - 02-07-2016

I feel the assertion that only Fists of Rhalgr can be Monks, and only Monks can obtain the use of Chakra to empower themselves is against the spirit of the MNK quest line pre-50, and the idea that the codified method established by the Fists is the only way to achieve further unlocked chakra is against the spirit of the post-50 story line. Either way there are a lot of problems with this line of reasoning, and when speculating, nothing should be worded as if it is canonical fact.

It seemed to me during the Monk quests 1-50 that the concept of Chakra (IE. the name and supposed method of manipulation) was a trained method from within FoR. However Erik, who was not trained in the method, was able to observe the process of internalizing latent Aether released from places of mass death and violence, so that suggests to me this is an empirically observable phenomenon, albeit not necessarily one that has progressed in popular knowledge beyond conjecture or an obscure theory.

If the process of unlocking Chakra is objective and can be accomplished in that specific method, it is not inconceivable other martial artists who unconsciously or intentionally repeated the method could at least unlock Chakra in the same way, ignorant of the terminology and methodology specified by FoR training. In other words, it's like the multiple discovery concept from science. With all the haranguing about how dangerous this setting is going around the forum, isn't it rather easy to consider the possibility that a person who already understands the concept of using Aether to empower themselves trained in a battlefield where mass death occurred? Perhaps like the leftovers of a massive Xaela tribal war, or even razed Doma?

That being said, if there was concurrent discoveries regarding the same natural force, I think that the terminology, method of use and extent of understanding would probably differ wildly. Theoretically, if another group discovered the "Chakra" at the same time, the name given wouldn't be the same. In addition, FoR at its height was very well established and state supported, so it is unlikely another monastic tradition elsewhere in the world would have been able to achieve the same depth of understanding. It might be that they are only capable of unlocking a few Chakra due to limited access to sufficiently Aether-suffused battlefields, too.

We've also never established that Monk specifically and exclusively refers to a Fist of Rhalgr. Monk is a generic term like Kleenex in Eorzea; in the context it might refer to a Fist of Rhalgr, and in game play terms that is the only order we're allowed to learn from, but the term itself is pretty standard. Does this mean no monks exist within the Halonic religion, or that the term could not even be applied to their equivalent?

Moreover, the +60 storyline suggests that some of the theories about how the Chakra are unlocked towards the higher levels of mastery are either false or poorly understood. You can say "It's the WoL, they're a special snowflake," but I wonder about that. The process of internalizing latent battlefield Aether to open a Chakra is established as objective fact, and it is a specific mechanism that is repeatable among many individuals in different locations given similar circumstances, a fact which Widargelt seemed ignorant of. How could the order be so sure that the method of training is exactly how they established within the Order, long before the Mad King dissolved the temple, when clearly even an experienced Monk seemed to not fully understand at least half of the discipline? And it is established too that there are inimical factions within the temple that have different attitudes on how to go about training.

I guess my point is that certain elements of the MNK questline are quantifiable enough that they can't be considered to be something FoR created, only discovered, at least in Eorzea. Other elements cast doubt upon the FoR's absolute knowledge of their own power outside of an instinctual and metaphysical spirituality. There is enough grey area that you could write a convincing enough reason for someone learning to use Aether in martial arts in the manner of the FoR on their own, or as part of a similar martial order. True a lot of speculation is present here, but I think it is ultimately more honest to say "it could happen" rather than assert it as an effective impossibility.

Addressing the other approach, I think that the idea of a FoR moving to Othard and eventually training someone isn't inconceivable, but definitely a special case sort of scenario. Considering why someone would do it properly is tricky. We know that the temple was dissolved, and Garlemald rules both Othard and Ala Mhigo. Consider scenarios where a traitor to the order whose training was incomplete cast her lot with the Garleans and went to Othard to train soldiers in martial arts, while cherry picking specific trainees or civilians to build an unofficial, bastard branch of the Fists in secret as a kind of trump card with which they could seize political power after returning to Eorzea, or something like that. Or maybe they were an Obi-Wan style figure who fled Ala Mhigo in shame after failing to defend the country, and found someone with the proper potential in Othard.

For these situations, I feel a basic familiarity with martial arts tropes from the core is really helpful in crafting scenarios that feel dramatically interesting and still seem like they could take place in the setting. Watching a lot of Wuxia would probably help. Contrary to the popular Western image of martial artists, the Chinese entertainment and literature bloc has all kinds of empowered warriors, from men who simply obtained great strength from single-minded training, to members of monastic orders, to criminals and thugs who essentially dropped out of chi school, to political fanatics and assassins who developed godlike martial arts to further their cause. It is far from the sterile discipline of shaolinesque monk orders (And even the shaolin are wildly misunderstood) we see in typical RPGs. FoR appears to be this sort of order from the outside, but it doesn't even truly exist anymore, so even that is only suggested by the lore, after the fact. In such a chaotic setting, could any single codified method of training in chakra-based martial arts really be considered to be the only one? That's what I'm skeptical of. Even familiarity with the tropes of martial-arts fiction clearly suggests that anyone, ANYONE who knows the right tricks and has the correct training, and in some cases, latent potential, can be capable of the things FoR is. And even if the techniques are super secret, anyone even passingly familiar with kung fu fiction knows that such techniques never stay secret for long.

(02-07-2016, 06:53 PM)Caspar Wrote: I feel the assertion that only Fists of Rhalgr can be Monks, and only Monks can obtain the use of Chakra to empower themselves is against the spirit of the MNK quest line pre-50, and the idea that the codified method established by the Fists is the only way to achieve further unlocked chakra is against the spirit of the post-50 story line. Either way there are a lot of problems with this line of reasoning, and when speculating, nothing should be worded as if it is canonical fact.

It seemed to me during the Monk quests 1-50 that the concept of Chakra (IE. the name and supposed method of manipulation) was a trained method from within FoR. However Erik, who was not trained in the method, was able to observe the process of internalizing latent Aether released from places of mass death and violence, so that suggests to me this is an empirically observable phenomenon, albeit not necessarily one that has progressed in popular knowledge beyond conjecture or an obscure theory.

If the process of unlocking Chakra is objective and can be accomplished in that specific method, it is not inconceivable other martial artists who unconsciously or intentionally repeated the method could at least unlock Chakra in the same way, ignorant of the terminology and methodology specified by FoR training. In other words, it's like the multiple discovery concept from science. With all the haranguing about how dangerous this setting is going around the forum, isn't it rather easy to consider the possibility that a person who already understands the concept of using Aether to empower themselves trained in a battlefield where mass death occurred? Perhaps like the leftovers of a massive Xaela tribal war, or even razed Doma?

That being said, if there was concurrent discoveries regarding the same natural force, I think that the terminology, method of use and extent of understanding would probably differ wildly. Theoretically, if another group discovered the "Chakra" at the same time, the name given wouldn't be the same. In addition, FoR at its height was very well established and state supported, so it is unlikely another monastic tradition elsewhere in the world would have been able to achieve the same depth of understanding. It might be that they are only capable of unlocking a few Chakra due to limited access to sufficiently Aether-suffused battlefields, too.

We've also never established that Monk specifically and exclusively refers to a Fist of Rhalgr. Monk is a generic term like Kleenex in Eorzea; in the context it might refer to a Fist of Rhalgr, and in game play terms that is the only order we're allowed to learn from, but the term itself is pretty standard. Does this mean no monks exist within the Halonic religion, or that the term could not even be applied to their equivalent?

Moreover, the +60 storyline suggests that some of the theories about how the Chakra are unlocked towards the higher levels of mastery are either false or poorly understood. You can say "It's the WoL, they're a special snowflake," but I wonder about that. The process of internalizing latent battlefield Aether to open a Chakra is established as objective fact, and it is a specific mechanism that is repeatable among many individuals in different locations given similar circumstances, a fact which Widargelt seemed ignorant of. How could the order be so sure that the method of training is exactly how they established within the Order, long before the Mad King dissolved the temple, when clearly even an experienced Monk seemed to not fully understand at least half of the discipline? And it is established too that there are inimical factions within the temple that have different attitudes on how to go about training.

I guess my point is that certain elements of the MNK questline are quantifiable enough that they can't be considered to be something FoR created, only discovered, at least in Eorzea. Other elements cast doubt upon the FoR's absolute knowledge of their own power outside of an instinctual and metaphysical spirituality. There is enough grey area that you could write a convincing enough reason for someone learning to use Aether in martial arts in the manner of the FoR on their own, or as part of a similar martial order. True a lot of speculation is present here, but I think it is ultimately more honest to say "it could happen" rather than assert it as an effective impossibility.

Addressing the other approach, I think that the idea of a FoR moving to Othard and eventually training someone isn't inconceivable, but definitely a special case sort of scenario. Considering why someone would do it properly is tricky. We know that the temple was dissolved, and Garlemald rules both Othard and Ala Mhigo. Consider scenarios where a traitor to the order whose training was incomplete cast her lot with the Garleans and went to Othard to train soldiers in martial arts, while cherry picking specific trainees or civilians to build an unofficial, bastard branch of the Fists in secret as a kind of trump card with which they could seize political power after returning to Eorzea, or something like that. Or maybe they were an Obi-Wan style figure who fled Ala Mhigo in shame after failing to defend the country, and found someone with the proper potential in Othard.

For these situations, I feel a basic familiarity with martial arts tropes from the core is really helpful in crafting scenarios that feel dramatically interesting and still seem like they could take place in the setting. Watching a lot of Wuxia would probably help. Contrary to the popular Western image of martial artists, the Chinese entertainment and literature bloc has all kinds of empowered warriors, from men who simply obtained great strength from single-minded training, to members of monastic orders, to criminals and thugs who essentially dropped out of chi school, to political fanatics and assassins who developed godlike martial arts to further their cause. It is far from the sterile discipline of shaolinesque monk orders (And even the shaolin are wildly misunderstood) we see in typical RPGs. FoR appears to be this sort of order from the outside, but it doesn't even truly exist anymore, so even that is only suggested by the lore, after the fact. In such a chaotic setting, could any single codified method of training in chakra-based martial arts really be considered to be the only one? That's what I'm skeptical of. Even familiarity with the tropes of martial-arts fiction clearly suggests that anyone, ANYONE who knows the right tricks and has the correct training, and in some cases, latent potential, can be capable of the things FoR is. And even if the techniques are super secret, anyone even passingly familiar with kung fu fiction knows that such techniques never stay secret for long.

Your post is amazing, and I'm going to take everything you said into consideration. Thank you so much!

I was actually using the Xaelan battlefield approach as methods one could unlock Chakra..and I agree that it's likely a similar, style of fighting could originate elsewhere, which is likely what I will go with. Something that isn't Eorzean or Ala Mhigan in origin, but something else unique to itself.

RE: Monks of Othard? - Caspar - 02-07-2016

It's just my opinion, but thank you anyway.

I think that it is best to start out small. Like say, it's an unrefined, instinctual method of fighting in comparison to the training. Try to consider what is reasonable for your character's trainer or order to discover. If they are small, it is less believable that they achieved full understanding of Chakra, using the same terminology, as the FoR did.

For instance, my character cannot consciously manipulate aether and derives power from another source (freakishness) but it might have something to do with Chakra... However, none of her training told her anything about use of Aether. So it would be difficult for me to justify within my narrative Virara using techniques like Elixir Beam, Meditation or Howling Fist that seem to draw upon specific uses of Chakra manipulation technique passed down through FoR tradition. Before encountering the Fists, she'd only heard rumors of the concept and never really put much stock in it. Even her mentor in the backstory I wrote, for all her monstrous power, doesn't really know much about Chakra and generally neglects that aspect of her training, because instinctual use of Aether just out of reflex and raw talent served her well for tens of thousands of bouts. In both cases, I tried to think about what an outsider to the order realistically could understand, and what they could ignorantly stumble upon.

In other cases, I created monk-like NPCs that use the discipline of conjury-like Aether manipulation that forms the theoretical basis of Ninja abilities. The chassis is similar, but the engine is different. In those cases, I thought about how to incorporate what we observe in the NIN storyline and where there is enough overlap with techniques demonstrated in the MNK storyline that a rough facsimile or hybrid technique could theoretically exist without being too outlandish.

Just as an example: This is entirely my speculation, but I like to think that Fuma Shuriken isn't really forming a huge shuriken out of earth and metal elements, but a basic wind technique similar to Aero from Conjury that manipulates the velocity and aerodynamics of the shuriken to give it greater power and accuracy. By that logic, I felt someone who could manipulate air elements could use an immensely boosted version of the same technique to cut with the air itself, and not simply the shuriken, as that seems to be what Aero does. This is just me rambling at this point, though. Really I just want to demonstrate how I think about creating non-canon abilities for purposes of RP. I want to draw from the setting as much as I can, think about how logically someone could conceive of such a technique, and try to tie it to the lore as closely as I can without compromising my vision.

Too bad there isn't really any lore on the Duality technique as I am curious as to how that even functions. Is the NIN striking twice within one breath hastily? Are they using the SPOILER power shown in the latter NIN pre 50 quests? There is so much room for theory and interesting concepts just around one skill, and in some ways that ambiguity just makes it more fun to think about.

Yeah, Josuke doesn't know what Chakra is. not by that name. Much less what 'chakra gates' are.

I'm definitely not trying to bust out the gate with a Xaela of the 14th chakra or anything. Just a martial artist Xaela from Othard, simply put.

RE: Monks of Othard? - Warren Castille - 02-08-2016

This thread is another notch in the "Jobs are strictly defined, even if the abilities aren't" thing XIV has going in spades. Glad to see the confusion cleared up, though!

RE: Monks of Othard? - Martiallais - 02-08-2016

It may or may not be worth considering/adding to this convo now but if you're going the path of aether using martial artist, there was (if memory serves) a Raen player here on the forum back when Au Ra were first announced who stated their character basically practiced at a school in Doma. So something like that could be an option/inspiration of sorts as well.

It's not so different, in that case, from players who roleplay using a giant sword but don't have Dark Knight powers.

RE: Monks of Othard? - Josuke - 02-08-2016

Oh that's very interesting. Sounds like something I could look into.

RE: Monks of Othard? - Edric W. - 02-11-2016

I've got a few spare minutes, so I thought I'd try to clear some things up here. Since this is a long couple of posts, I'll just be typing in bold to respond to points as they appear. Since these will take up quite a bit of space, I've also put them in spoilers.

Show Content

Show Content

RE: Monks of Othard? - Sounsyy - 02-11-2016

Seeing as how it gets brought up a few times, I figure I'd drop this relevant quote about Chakras:

Widargelt Wrote:The energy within us moves the fist. The chakra is the seat of that energy. It is a sacred place. It can be opened, and the life force within controlled. Chakra exists in all that lives - in all beings. Yet not all beings can open them. Much training is needed. And great discipline. With these, the life force can be commanded. There are those who require no training. Their inner strength is such that it forces the chakra open. I have heard of this happening. But never have I seen it - until now.*
*Another example of WoL doing things most normal people cannot.

This quote isn't to say that a Far Easterner couldn't control the aether within their body in ways similar to the monkhood, just that it takes a considerable amount of training, discipline, and knowledge of how these chakras work to open them, y'know unless you're the Warrior of Light. I think Oboro from the Ninja questline shows very well that Othardians aren't familiar with Eorzea's concept of Aether, but use it by another name to perform their own forms of magicks. A Ninja pulls aether from its environment much the same way a conjurer would, for example.

Oboro Wrote:We draw power from the world around us - the heaven, the earth, the hearts of man - and channel this power into physical form. I am told that this is similar to your concept of ay-ther, was it?

So a martial artist manipulating aether into their technique is not without precedence in the Far East.