Hydaelyn Role-Players
The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default (/showthread.php?tid=15359)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default - Ashe - 02-24-2016

(02-24-2016, 07:06 PM)Caspar Wrote:
(02-24-2016, 07:04 PM)Ashe Wrote: Well....I have the Japanese voices (and text on my PS4...English text on my PC)...and I am not changing >>

I am a seiyuu fan in general >> And I think that the Japanese dialogue holds more meaning...
Like literally, a lot of the dialogue is different.
Played both with Japanese and English text through this game and the English text was so...different? Weird? Took out essential terms and changed them for things that were just something else entirely?

Tattsun as Aymeric though...A+ right there.
KENN as Urianger...makes me never 100% hate the character.
NakaYu as Thancred...GOLD!
Koyama Rikiya as Cid...Japanese Jack Bauer HELLS YEAH!
Nakata Jouji as the new Garlean Emperor...FUCK YES!!!

List goes on and on haha

To each their own xPP

(big example for 3.2...when you're passing out to have the echo thing...In Japanese she says "Everything is your fault" but in english it was something like "Not now, not ever?" Like...what? Japanese holds much more weight).

I guess big difference for me is...I'm bilingual so...I can listen to the better voices AND understand them...and cry when I see the dialogue changes in English >>
I basically wouldn't give up Lahabrea Aznable for an entirely Hollywood quality English cast. So I know how this feels.

Then again quality is subjective and I mostly stick with what feels right and the VA I'm more invested in.
Afraid to know what he sounds like in English >.<
Haurchefant in English was AWFUL. Listened to one clip and shut it off. 

Elidibus's voice in Japanese helped me figure out the "White Robed Ascian" glitch...
I'd know Ishida Akira anywhere xPP

RE: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default - TheLastCandle - 02-24-2016

Absolutely agree that the current English VA's greatly outclass 2.0's.

I do understand why some people would rather stick to the Japanese voice acting. I prefer English in this case for the same reason I prefer it for something like Record of Lodoss War: I feel it better suits the world it's meant to present, given its predominantly Western influences.

In a hypothetical Sengoku-inspired MMO or a more blatantly hodge-podge East-meets-West setting my preference would be Japanese with subtitles.

RE: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default - Valence - 02-25-2016

There sure is a gap in quality between 2.0 and 3.0. I am very, very pleased with the VA since then.

Writing could be better sure, but there is also a gap there. 2.0 was ten times worse. The story is starting to get me hooked, which wasn't always the case before.

(02-24-2016, 07:00 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I don't want to redrum up the argument about the voice acting is/isn't indicative of how people actually sound, but I'm slightly amused that the "Ishgardian accent" isn't much of an accent at all compared to the rest of the world. Not a dig at anyone in particular, that's the Twelve's honest truth, but all of the super-french name holdovers from FFXI are now weirdly out of place when everyone's more British than anything.

Yes. And their accent when pronouncing those names is atrocious.

RE: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default - Parvacake - 02-25-2016

If I remember correctly, Thancred's old voice actor showed up on an episode of C.R. or one of the related shows.

RE: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-25-2016

I do like how they do a pretty good job using the various dialects of English to show different social groups and backgrounds.

The maid chick in 3.2 was a good example, same with Hilda. They don't use the same accent as the upper crust noble types. 

I don't remember that as much in 2.0

RE: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default - Lyriell - 02-25-2016

I'm one of the few people that is able to enjoy some voices in every language. I have some faves in the German version, some in the English version and some in the Japanese version.

However, it feels to me that the Japanese voices are more emotionally invested than the others. I don't want to spoil any scenes but those that have finished the Vault for example know what I'm talking about.

Accents - Hivernal - 02-25-2016

Actually, that West Country accent of the maid in 3.2's storyline confused me. It's from a very specific part of England (Somerset / Cornwall). Usually has connotations and intentions when it's cast into a role. Depends on what you're trying to convey.

Looking back at some cutscenes, it seems that this is the low-born commoners' accent by default, with Hilda and a few male speakers having something resembling it (nowhere near as strong). But most of them don't speak like this in dialogue. Not all of the commoners have voices like that either. It seems - I don't know - a bit displaced?

Overall, the voice acting is of a decent quality though. I purposefully try to listen all the way through whenever script is voiced, despite being a fast reader and having to wait for them to catch up. Heh.

RE: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default - Eses Fafa - 02-25-2016

Heavensward made me proud to be an Englishman. I didn't even know that a Japanese accent was being done by an English actress..much less someone from Eastenders, who I have zero faith in for acting skill. God damn it, Sian..why ya gotta make me miss a soap actor?

RE: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality - Rosamund - 02-25-2016

Agreed, much better this time round. Was really nice to hear more authentic accents.

But please bring back Gideon Emery, hnnnnghh.

RE: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default - allgivenover - 02-25-2016

It has gotten much better, but I'll still listen to both as long as they continue to mess up what characters mean in the localization.

RE: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default - Shoshopu - 02-25-2016

Overall it's an improvement, I suppose, but some of the new voices are like... objectively worse than before. I'll never not be mad about Raubahn's, ILBERD'S, Merlwyb's and Eynzahr's voices changing. I was very attached to them and the new folks didn't even try to sound like the old ones. (I remember I was seething over how awful new Raubahn sounded and I cried, "Why does he sound Scottish suddenly!" and Fyril leans over and he says to me, "He's a Highlander" and I turned around and threw something at him)

I always wondered why 90% of the cast seemed to change all at once. So they swapped studios, huh.

RE: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default - Seriphyn - 02-25-2016

Oh lord, the peeps who think the accents of Raubahn and Ilberd are Scottish...

RE: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default - Ashe - 02-25-2016

(02-25-2016, 05:58 AM)Lyriell Wrote: I'm one of the few people that is able to enjoy some voices in every language. I have some faves in the German version, some in the English version and some in the Japanese version.

However, it feels to me that the Japanese voices are more emotionally invested than the others. I don't want to spoil any scenes but those that have finished the Vault for example know what I'm talking about.
Japanese voice actors have to go to school for voice acting specifically most of the time. These schools sometimes are connected to an agency...
I have a few friends who are voice actors in Japan who are in a school for it. A lot of people prefer...Midorikawa's school...and a girl I don't like was rejected from his school and she totes deserved it >>
They are trained specifically to to voice act. English voice actors are generally not.

RE: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default - Shoshopu - 02-25-2016

(02-25-2016, 02:02 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Oh lord, the peeps who think the accents of Raubahn and Ilberd are Scottish...

Well they!! Aren't!!! ... what they were like before! My hillbilly American ass thought it sounded vaguely Scottish. Just Raubahn's though. idk what's up with Ilberd's, but it's way worse compared to the awesome performance we got in A Realm Reborn's finale.

What accent is it supposed to be?

RE: The English voiceacting is essentially AAA in quality and deserves to be your default - Val - 02-25-2016

(02-24-2016, 06:21 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: honestly I'm not impressed with the voice acting. Not because JAPANESE IS OBVIOUSLY SUPERIOR~ *gag* but just because nothing really stands out as stellar performance.

Granted, I'd say the reason for that is 80% I loathe the writing in the game.

I have to agree with Kellach here. To me, the VA is just atrocious and I can't stand it. It's better than some, but it makes me cringe every time I hear it. Part of it could be, like Kellach mentioned, that I think the writing/script they're given in general is pretty abysmal. 

iskipcutscenesbecauseihatethestoryandthevoiceactinginthemisawful