Hydaelyn Role-Players
Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument (/showthread.php?tid=15541)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Nodem - 03-15-2016

(03-15-2016, 02:11 PM)Arvid Greave Wrote: What what WHAT?! Next thing you know, people will be saying FANTASIAS are canon and we can't have THAT can we? Laugh

Honestly, if it's an item in game I can see I have no problem RPing it's there. I can see that big ass glowing box in their house. I mean, if they can make little wind up dolls, guns, and you know.. mages that throw fire and mend wounds.. why not a box that plays music. Who is this hurting?

Everybody's ear drums if you're like me and blast Fiend non-stop in the inn rooms. I swear I get more noise complaints about blasting Fiend then somebody screaming for being murdered.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Gabineaux - 03-15-2016

(03-15-2016, 02:19 PM)Nodem Wrote:
(03-15-2016, 02:11 PM)Arvid Greave Wrote: What what WHAT?! Next thing you know, people will be saying FANTASIAS are canon and we can't have THAT can we? Laugh

Honestly, if it's an item in game I can see I have no problem RPing it's there. I can see that big ass glowing box in their house. I mean, if they can make little wind up dolls, guns, and you know.. mages that throw fire and mend wounds.. why not a box that plays music. Who is this hurting?

Everybody's ear drums if you're like me and blast Fiend non-stop in the inn rooms. I swear I get more noise complaints about blasting Fiend then somebody screaming for being murdered.

THE EDGE IS CALLING TONIGHT

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Gegenji - 03-15-2016

Every morning before he starts his smithing, Chachan open-palm slams his copy of Pa-Paya into his orchestrion and pumps that sucker up.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Cato - 03-15-2016

(03-15-2016, 10:39 AM)Raidho Wrote: Assume all the metal is imported from Garlemald.

Most of the 'metal' tracks are Primal tracks, though. Garlemald loathes anything to do with Primals.

On my end I wouldn't make use of an Orchestrion IC. For me it's just something cool to have for the sake of adjusting the background track in my house. If anyone brought it up I'd just brush it off as being a fancy cupboard - because it looks similar enough to one for me to do that, I guess.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Kellach Woods - 03-15-2016

Honestly that's why I brought up the Wandering Minstrel, since he's the kind of guy to chat up an adventurer or a thousand for inspiration.

I'd dare say any primal related music would have to do with him.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Teadrinker - 03-15-2016

I'd have no issue if someone got creative with it.

Like say their avatar uses the item to put on some soft violin to set a mood or something rather than "I CAST RAVANA FIGHT MUSIC."

Use lightly grain of salt type thing.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Alderique - 03-15-2016

There's really no reason for orchestrion rolls to be from their designated locations. It's just rock music, not the formal theme of a primal Tongue

There's also no need to fret about whether or not this device can function. It's a fantasy game full of all kinds of whimsical things, it doesn't needed to be grounded in anything.

That being said let me know if anyone wants to come over for some orchestrion and chill.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Paradox - 03-15-2016

If metal is canon, then guitars are canon. Which means magitech instruments will be canon, because the metal has to be played somehow, and that means instruments capable of making sweet, sweet metal. I am suddenly okay with this. /hides the electric steampunk guitar.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Jana - 03-15-2016

With primal themes specifically, I could see them as being OOC arrangements of an in-universe theme. They're all different genres too, not just metal/rock.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Paradox - 03-15-2016

LET ME HAVE MY MOMENT. D:

But yeah, in all seriousness, I don't see why some kind of odd jukebox couldn't be canon. I mean, we have photographs and airships, so why not?

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Aden Dellebecque - 03-15-2016

(03-15-2016, 02:52 PM)Graeham Wrote:
(03-15-2016, 10:39 AM)Raidho Wrote: Assume all the metal is imported from Garlemald.

Most of the 'metal' tracks are Primal tracks, though. Garlemald loathes anything to do with Primals.

Did you.... did you just take that seriously.... It wasn't serious, but if you want I can make it serious.

The metal is imported from Garlemald. Yes, they're all Primal themes. Think about the RL subject matter for a lot of metal.

I'll wait. You can get back to me on that.

Show Content

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - FreelanceWizard - 03-15-2016

(03-15-2016, 03:57 PM)Arklonn Sargonnai Wrote: If metal is canon, then guitars are canon. Which means magitech instruments will be canon, because the metal has to be played somehow, and that means instruments capable of making sweet, sweet metal. I am suddenly okay with this. /hides the electric steampunk guitar.

Given the existence of machinistry and magitek generally, it's entirely possible such things exist. They'd be rare, sure, and likely curiosities for the rich, but let's consider that calliopes hail from 1855, pipe organs hail from ancient Greece, and for all of its Middle Ages characteristics, the world of XIV has a lot of magical conveniences (ceiling fans, magical lighting, oh, and airships). Aetherotransformers that use lightning-aspected aether to produce sound are an entirely plausible offshoot of machinistry, IMO.

Sometimes I think people forget that Eorzea isn't (insert standard high fantasy setting here). It's Final Fantasy, which has its own tropes and characteristics. It's a blend of high tech and low tech with magic advancing certain technologies faster than others. Our characters fly around on airships, and yet they hit people with swords. Goblins are building giant machines of war that fire laser beams, and yet our characters ride horsebirds. FF is its own kind of thing. Smile

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Chris Ganale - 03-15-2016

(03-15-2016, 05:06 PM)Raidho Wrote:
Show Content

You don't listen to much Dragonforce do you?

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - ExAtomos - 03-21-2016

It's a magitek/allagan/whoknows piece of technology. Our resident bard cusses at the thing regularly for threatening his livelihood. :3

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - As'elena - 03-25-2016

I'd like to say it is IC. I see no reason why the item and the music couldn't be. Sure some of the metal tracks might be a bit harder to justify because of the music genre and the lyrics that refer to the primals.

It might not count for much of an argument, but just because they are primal related is not necessarily wrong if we take a look at real life music. We have real metal about religions, the devil, disease, wars and other things (such as glorious Paladins).

If you look at it a certain way it doesn't seem all that different from writing a song about a primal or otherwise a dangerous and unpleasant place.

That all being said, I would probably not so easily say the music is related to primals, despite acknowledging the Orchestrion itself as a real thing.