Hydaelyn Role-Players
PC Gaming headset recommendations? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: PC Gaming headset recommendations? (/showthread.php?tid=15967)

Pages: 1 2

RE: PC Gaming headset recommendations? - Aysun - 04-26-2016

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826738004

Love this thing. Super comfy foam with two kinds of ear covers and the mic is removable. White/Pink generally is on sale/cheaper than the black versions. The volume control is inline for mic and audio and there's also a simply mute thingy. :3

RE: PC Gaming headset recommendations? - Kage - 04-26-2016

(04-26-2016, 12:57 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 12:28 PM)SicketySix Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 12:23 PM)Kage Wrote: If you end up getting a usb headset, just know that FFXIV doesn't let your arbitrarily plug in your headset. If you don't use an audio program like voicemeter, FFXIV will require you to relogin. If you start without headphones, start the game, plug in your headphones, the sound will still be from speakers and not in your headphones. If you start with headphones and end up taking out during play you will need to relogin for the sound to switch over.

Wow, I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up!

It's more than just USB headset. FFXIV does not handle audio devices being changed at all. So if you normally switch between saw, speakers, HDMI, a headset, or anything else, you'd need to use a virtual audio adapter to pipe the sound to the right device because switching it in Windows won't work if the game's running.

If you plan on using the headset as your -only- source for audio, then you'll have no issues.
I mean, my audio jack on the top of the tower I use may be wired oddly but for awhile I had a headset that was able to just be plug and play without anything. So I'm pretty sure there's more to it but my brain is fried.

RE: PC Gaming headset recommendations? - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-26-2016

(04-26-2016, 04:54 PM)Kage Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 12:23 PM)Kage Wrote: If you end up getting a usb headset, just know that FFXIV doesn't let your arbitrarily plug in your headset. If you don't use an audio program like voicemeter, FFXIV will require you to relogin. If you start without headphones, start the game, plug in your headphones, the sound will still be from speakers and not in your headphones. If you start with headphones and end up taking out during play you will need to relogin for the sound to switch over.

It's more than just USB headset. FFXIV does not handle audio devices being changed at all. So if you normally switch between saw, speakers, HDMI, a headset, or anything else, you'd need to use a virtual audio adapter to pipe the sound to the right device because switching it in Windows won't work if the game's running.

If you plan on using the headset as your -only- source for audio, then you'll have no issues.
I mean, my audio jack on the top of the tower I use may be wired oddly but for awhile I had a headset that was able to just be plug and play without anything. So I'm pretty sure there's more to it but my brain is fried.

The 3.5mm jack on the front of a desktop case is usually linked to the motherboard and is treated as the same device or "close enough." ...not always the case depending on the audio hardware, as a sound card would make a difference. (The built in/generic "Intel HD Audio" or Realtek stuff usually doesn't care about the front jack)

RE: PC Gaming headset recommendations? - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-26-2016

(04-26-2016, 04:54 PM)Kage Wrote:

All the ports on your PC use the same audio card.

So as far as FFXIV is concerned, nothing changes, you're still using your sound card to produce analog sound. When you plug your headset into the tower, the soundcard decides to route the sound to the front jack instead of the back one.

The USB headset uses an entirely different driver, so ffxiv can't handle the switch.

RE: PC Gaming headset recommendations? - LiadansWhisper - 04-26-2016

I really like the one I'm currently using.

It's a Logitech G430. I got mine from Newegg. Here's a link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104847&cm_re=g430-_-26-104-847-_-Product

RE: PC Gaming headset recommendations? - SicketySix - 04-28-2016

Yeah so after browsing headsets I realized that there was probably some good advice to be had, so instead of buying two separate pieces, figured I'd just pick up a cheaper $50.00 pair.

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations!