Hydaelyn Role-Players
Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) (/showthread.php?tid=16360)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Aaron - 06-08-2016

I've seen enough instances in game so far that nowadays if someone tries to argue something like adventurers (Why by default are somewhat more capable than typical people) need aether absolutely to do stuff like jump high or dodge gunfire, I don't even take them serious.

Even in the ARR opening you had shit like that happening. Lucia blocking fire with her shield is also something you typical see in any dragon vs knight fight honestly final fantasy or not.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Momoka - 06-08-2016

Honestly the rank and file ishgardians being able to somewhat hold dragons at bay is something I can easily hand wave. Their entire society has been at war with them for over a thousand years it makes sense that they'd have something to protect against them. Of all the things in this game I question, this is not one of them.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Virella - 06-08-2016

If I remember correctly though...

Doesn't Ishgard use some metal what is capable of withstanding dragonfire to a degree? I do remember a leve of it...

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Momoka - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 11:42 AM)Virella Wrote: If I remember correctly though...

Doesn't Ishgard use some metal what is capable of withstanding dragonfire to a degree? I do remember a leve of it...
I THINK so yea. It's not drachenmail by any stretch of the word but ishgardians aren't stupid. Of course their people could defend themselves for a bit.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Caspar - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 11:45 AM)Lunelleocalypse Wrote:
(06-08-2016, 11:42 AM)Virella Wrote: If I remember correctly though...

I THINK so yea. It's not drachenmail by any stretch of the word but ishgardians aren't stupid. Of course their people could defend themselves for a bit.
Yeah. Of course, it must take someone tough to endure the extreme heat though, even if not immediately in danger of melting. It is true however that breath-deflecting shields is just kind of a stamdard fantasy thing, though.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Silmanos - 06-08-2016

As someone who rps a dragoon and a minor noble this patch was an interesting one. Firstly as far as the battle itself there were some pretty outrageous things from the temple knights and the fact that drsgoons only get an honorable mention was annoying. I have taken the approach that the bridge battle was far from the only part as in the HW trailer there are dragon killers with dragoons stationed nearby along other parts of the wall. So we can possibly assume they are there as it would be harder for normal knights to defend these points. Though in the after math my dragoon is retiring so the question of what becomes of the Order does not affect my rp. As for the politcal changes... well that one will be interesting to be included into rp as to me from what I took is any noble, both minor and High House, can be elected to the House of Lords. Needless to say this going to be taken carefully and my character will not be an elected member as that might be a bit much imo.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Wemrys - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 08:42 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Inquisitors
Do they even exist anymore? The Church's heavy-handed means to keeping Ishgard devout has been presumably abolished in the wake of the revelations of the MSQ, and again that new government thing probably isn't too keen on torturing people for being friends with their new allies.

If you speak with Cyr in Foundation after completing the MSQ and the current Manderville questline he states exactly this:

Quote:"It's begun, <Player Name>. Inquisitors are being released from their positions and told to seek employment elsewhere. 'Wasteful expenditures must be purged,' they say.

Just the thought of being cast out onto the streets sends a shiver up my spine. I mean, my skills are not exactly suited to other professions! I can't just up and become a bloody baker!"

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Telluride - 06-08-2016

Dear Ishgard...

We've noticed that you got a dragon problem, and that you had it fer a long time.

We've noticed that your attempted solutions for said problem seem to involve praying a lot, training gifted people to jump really high with spears, and use some really big ballistas. Hey, those spear-wielders are ok, but jumping isn't flying, y'know. We're pretty big fans of those... dragonkillers, y' call 'em? That seems like a good idea. Didn't seem to us that you use the things anywhere near like you should, though, as if them workin' too well would make your nobles look like useless schlubs, and that dragons ain't too impressed by your prayer sessions. But, hey, then again, mebbe the gods were powerin' those shield tricks you had on the city... oh, those kinda tanked, finally, didn't they?

Mind if we recommend somethin' to ya?

See, we had a chance to check out that impressive capital of yours, and we saw that you lot had a guild full of people who had some good ideas that we kinda like, and wanted to learn from 'em, ideas that could turn your nation into something powerful enough to send the Garleans runnin' like scared kobolds back to their stupid lookin' forts and huddlin' up, hopin' you'd just go away. We kinda liked that. Then... we found out you all kinda look down on these perfectly clever engineers like they was some kinda crackpots.

Seems you're only missin' the knowhow of a bunch of people who know how artillery works.

You heard o' firesand, right? Y'ever see what a cannonball can do to a peiste? It's kinda brutal, lemme tell ya. And most o' those dragons ain' THAT agile.

So, tell ya what. When yer willin' to pull yer pointy-eared heads out yer arses, and come talk to us, we got some ideas fer trade an' exchange of know-how an' materials that'll make you pretty much immune to any leftover flyin' lizards what still might wanna test their luck. If'n you'd a listened to us sooner, they coulda called the place "Anyx Rubble" a while ago, 'ey?

Yours truly,

The Artillerists' Guild of Thanalan.

P.S. - We got a guy here what's figured out how to turn aether crystals into explodin' ordnance. Give us a contact, 'ey mates?

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Zelmanov - 06-08-2016

My questions about post MSQ extend primarily to the blood curse that all ishgardians have. AKA Drink dragon's blood, go Aevis or Syricta. Now that Nidhogg has been "killed" and the war is supposedly over. Does the curse still remain?

What about Dragoons with their inner dragon? Does that dragon still stir? Is it still a threat capable of taking over those who possess it?

I need answers to these two because my current plot is highly tied to those aspects. Be kind of a bummer if all this buildup to possibly given in is saved by the inner dragon going "War's over? We cool now"

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - McBeefâ„¢ - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 05:01 PM)Zelmanov Wrote: My questions about post MSQ extend primarily to the blood curse that all ishgardians have. AKA Drink dragon's blood, go Aevis or Syricta. Now that Nidhogg has been "killed" and the war is supposedly over. Does the curse still remain?

What about Dragoons with their inner dragon? Does that dragon still stir? Is it still a threat capable of taking over those who possess it?

I need answers to these two because my current plot is highly tied to those aspects. Be kind of a bummer if all this buildup to possibly given in is saved by the inner dragon going "War's over? We cool now"
Well, the way that Estinien acted afterwards leads me to believe that, yeah, they cool now.

If anything Dragoons would likely be more like how the Warrior of Light was when they had Hrae's eye, just a comforting boon, nothing sinister.

On a side note, my prediction is that Dragoons will get a pet in 4.0, and become more like XI Dragoons.

On a second side note, as you learn afterwards, the bridge was not the only battleground. It was just the only battleground that had nidhogg. 

The Dragoons and Knights and Cannons and etc were probably off defending the other parts of the city.

On a third side note, I'm excited to have Evangeline be angry that no one invited her to be the president of the new Republic.

"WHAT!? HAVE THEY SEEN MY CREDENTIALS? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE."

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - V'aleera - 06-08-2016

We explicitly know that fighting occurred in the "outer wards". That is where Emmanellain was stationed, and where the dragon killer cannons/ballistae were positioned. From the sounds of it a separate force of dragons/wyverns were sent to assault the city itself. It's possible only the not-so-huge dragons could attack the city directly due to the presence of Daniffen's Collar projecting it's protective barrier.

(06-08-2016, 05:39 PM)V Wrote: We explicitly know that fighting occurred in the "outer wards". That is where Emmanellain was stationed, and where the dragon killer cannons/ballistae were positioned. From the sounds of it a separate force of dragons/wyverns were sent to assault the city itself. It's possible only the not-so-huge dragons could attack the city directly due to the presence of Daniffen's Collar projecting it's protective barrier.

As we saw in the original steps of faith, and the Brume, there is some reason why the larger drakes need to attack along the bridge (obviously the real reason is engine limitations Tongue )

In steps of faith, you stop the Dragon before it gets to the end, but the Brume still gets all burned and fucked up. I can imagine the Dragoons staying back along the spires, where they can get better aiming points, instead of standing on the bridge.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Yssen - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 10:57 AM)Telluride Wrote:
(06-08-2016, 09:51 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Something that I've been mentally chewing on since I saw it, but it unrelated to Ishgard itself:

We watch Lucia block a stream of fire with her shield, which sends her back dramatically but leaves her unharmed. Lucia's a pure-blooded Garlean with a third eye. That means she can't channel aether. THAT means that "ordinary" people can definitely do things at a higher power level: Her sword also shoots off big bursts of energy during the Steps battle.

Seems pretty concrete to me that the "baseline" of power is higher than Earth-Mortal standards!

Could be that she's got some high-quality equipment that has its own infusion of aether. It would be appropriate for Lucia, of all people in Ishgard, to have it. After all, the lack of jumping dragoons and godlike powers in that cutscene indicate that the loss of the Knights Twelve hasn't exactly been addressed yet, not that we ever actually saw those guys doing much of anything useful besides hassling the WoL's buddies and being Thordan's personal guard.

Could also be that the Storyboard team and the Lore team missed their lunch dates and weren't exactly in tune with each other.

Actually, it is never said that Garleans cannot channel Aether, just that they cannot wield magic. Two different, if similar things. This gone over a little in the Warring Triad side story where Urianger is trying to figure out who screwed up his wards.

RE: Ishgard, post 3.3 (OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR MSQ) - Eliane Dufresne - 06-08-2016

Can any Brits in the house offer an ELI5 on how this whole thing works? <.< I'm a Yank lurking in Canada, so I only kind of know about the British government. As I understand it though, the TLDR is:

House of Commons -- Commoners, are democratically elected.

House of Lords -- Clergymen and Nobility. Initially -all- noble families were given a seat, then they had to be appointed.

Aymeric -- How the hell do we refer to him? Is he the Lord Speaker or the Lord Chancellor now?

Both Houses -- Either can introduce a bill, but it can't pass without the other's approval? Neither can stop a bill from going into law, but they can scrutinize it and send it back for editing until a compromise has been reached (in theory anyway)?

It seems like the system has been through a lot of reform, especially since the early 2000's, so it'd be interesting to know which version SE is imagining here.

Man, they left so much unexplained. :/