Hydaelyn Role-Players
Eight Character Limit Appeal - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Eight Character Limit Appeal (/showthread.php?tid=17130)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - Gegenji - 09-02-2016

(09-01-2016, 07:06 PM)K'nahli Wrote:
(09-01-2016, 11:36 AM)Gegenji Wrote: So, my hat is off to those that can juggle more than a couple characters and keep them all going on various plots and whatnot. I just don't think I can split my time that many ways.

Ahaha ;;;;  I must admit that while each character does have their own story behind them, I am a highly inactive RP'er considering that I extremely rarely participate in it publicly and don't find the opportunities to play many of them in private very often at all. Though that doesn't stop me from enjoying their concept, taking screenshots of them, simulating scenes in the same sense, grabbing new glamours for them and simply trying new job classes - as I only level one Job per character.

*snip*

(09-01-2016, 11:36 AM)Gegenji Wrote: Which is important based on the second question: How many people do you think would partake in this process? There's a lot of reasons for this question, which weigh on both sides of the spectrum. If there's not enough interest in having the extra slots, SE may not feel it's worth the effort to add that level of functionality to the game when large percentage of players don't need more than the set amount (especially considering the "one character can be everything" setup, which could mean this matter is mostly for RPers - and then a smaller subset of said RPers who can successfully juggle 8+ characters).

If there's a huge amount of people who want to do this, then the cap would have to be set at something that won't unintentionally cause unforeseen problems. After all, if it's a popular enough thing, you could have thousands of people utilizing it adding thousands of new characters. Which very well COULD lead to an impact just from the extra character data being stored - and the changes needed to be made to allow for the purchase/addition of more character slots.

I cannot answer that because I do not know how many other people on here and elsewhere feel about alts nor how many they have created - just that a few of us have reached the cap and would certainly welcome more. Frankly, my RP scene is not the healthiest thing to look at so you could almost argue that I am not doing this for RP purposes even if my intention would be to give them stories and designs all the same. I do know that many people love FF's models and have a lot of fun with character design so I would hope that the desire for such a thing branches far beyond just mere roleplayers.... though I wouldn't dare suspect that it was as popular as I'd like.

I just want to touch on these two points here if I may. You mention that you're not actually using these characters for RP - mainly just for setting up pictures and for visual reference for glamours and the like. So, I pose to you this question: if they're not actually going to interact with other RPers, why do they need to be on Balmung?

The locations, the gear, all of that is a constant across servers. The only difference is if you're looking to set up a scene with a specific character or personal/FC housing locale that is specific to Balmung. In fact, you might even want to be on a lower population server if you're just going for nice scenic shots - less players to accidentally run in and ruin the shot, and housing is much more plentiful so you could farm up enough gil and have your own house purely for background.

Of course, doing that has its own issues. On those other servers, you can't be in LSes or send tells to your friends over on Balmung. However, you can also work around that by using Discord or Skype.

I just get the feeling that - if you want SE to allow more character slots per server - you'd probably want to be using them for more than popping on for a couple screenshots.

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - Kilieit - 09-02-2016

I use my alts for RP!

I have three... no, four additional OC's in the wings (an Ishgardian with PTSD, a reformed lalafellin bandit, a hellsguard black mage, and a sea wolf scholar) who I could definitely stand to bring to Balmung, plus two non-RP characters that my friends want me to bring (canon clones...) that I wouldn't have space for until I'd stuffed as many OCs as humanly possible onto my roster.

I love and develop all of my existing characters, even though I admittedly go through month-long phases of only focussing on one at a time, and I'd be pretty chuffed with the opportunity to expand my repertoire without having to use a fant/namechange every single time I want to roleplay something different.

I'm happy with the variety I have now... but I'd be more happy with a bigger one. x_x

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - Caspar - 09-02-2016

I mean, do you really need the others when you've got that reformed bandit? ^_~*
But more seriously, the game is already kinda not designed around having alts, so I'm amazed there is even this many slots. That being said, I don't think Square will add more.

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - Jana - 09-02-2016

I wouldn't care normally, but right now housing is per-character and not per-account; FCs are getting screwed out of houses they should be able to afford as it is. Even if we're optimistic with apartments being however many per ward and not per server, Balmung is just too big. Anyone can already make 8 characters on another server and pay to transfer too, being able to do that with 10/12/16/etc. is just another problem.

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - McBeefâ„¢ - 09-02-2016

Dear Square Enix please reduce character slots to 0.

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - Lydia Lightfoot - 09-02-2016

(09-02-2016, 01:42 PM)McBeef© Wrote: Dear Square Enix please reduce character slots to 0.

You could achieve that on an individual basis of your own free will. Just saying. :p

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - McBeefâ„¢ - 09-02-2016

(09-02-2016, 01:52 PM)Sena Varont Wrote:
(09-02-2016, 01:42 PM)McBeef© Wrote: Dear Square Enix please reduce character slots to 0.

You could achieve that on an individual basis of your own free will. Just saying. :p
Please reduce character slots to negative.

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - Arcian - 09-02-2016

I have two characters. One is my main for content and RP. The other is an RP alt who still isn't through the HW MSQ since I paused post-Vault since at the time, I had no idea what I was doing when it came to playing MCH properly.

I work from home, on a flexible schedule, and I still hardly have enough time and attention for both.

While I understand and respect that not everyone plays the way I do, considering Balmung's issues with server congestion, locked character creation, and the perpetual cauldron of repressed RPer rage that is the housing market, I really can't get behind this idea.

You said yourself that you'd primarily be using extra characters for visual reference and screenshots. To echo Chachanji, they don't need to be on Balmung for that - if you're just getting a nice shot of X character, roll them on another server.

Tl;dr - We're on the most populated server in the game, so...yeah, no.

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-02-2016

I'm gonna post this monstrosity I made because college football impacts my ability to have a life outside of work. And I spent a fair amount of time having Excel open for it.

Disclaimer: I'm a bit snippy currently.

Show Content

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - Lydia Lightfoot - 09-02-2016

(09-02-2016, 06:10 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: I'm gonna post this monstrosity I made because college football impacts my ability to have a life outside of work. And I spent a fair amount of time having Excel open for it.

Disclaimer: I'm a bit snippy currently.

Show Content

Hooray accounting! -cheers-

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - K'nahli - 09-02-2016

(09-02-2016, 09:16 AM)Gegenji Wrote: I just want to touch on these two points here if I may. You mention that you're not actually using these characters for RP - mainly just for setting up pictures and for visual reference for glamours and the like. So, I pose to you this question: if they're not actually going to interact with other RPers, why do they need to be on Balmung?Of course, doing that has its own issues. On those other servers, you can't be in LSes or send tells to your friends over on Balmung. However, you can also work around that by using Discord or Skype.

I just get the feeling that - if you want SE to allow more character slots per server - you'd probably want to be using them for more than popping on for a couple screenshots.

I do actually play my characters too, haha ^^a   They're not just random models for the occasional screenshot. I am too shy to RP in public and my friend is seldom available to RP and is generally uncomfortable doing so in English to begin with.

The reason they need to be on Balmung beyond the obvious factor of wanting to keep in contact with my friends on there(that Skype alone would not really satisfy) is simply because it is my home. I love how populous it is, I love how busy and alive the streets and cities are, I adore how it's madness and celebration when events roll around and the place is overloaded with everyone coming to spend some time in the festivities. I went to Gilgamesh once a long time back when it was more popular to test a character or something and the place was a ghost town ;   It was horrible considering that was supposedly the second-most congested server on the Data Centre. I really don't want to be in such a bland and empty server and I'd happily pay upwards of the cost of an expensive mount per extra character slot if it meant staying on Balmung.

As for the housing issue... while people may have multiple houses, I really doubt that anyone here really believes that there are people out there with a personal home on all 8 characters and can further exploit it by getting additional slots. Any damage alts can do to housing can already be done. It's simply impossible for that to be exaggerated any further on Balmung.

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - Kilieit - 09-02-2016

Yeah, I'd still rather pay for additional slots on the same account.

I've multiboxed before in WoW. It sucks. It requires SO much faffing about compared to having characters on the same account; you end up regretting not having this character or that on the same account as each other so you don't have to spend so much time and effort logging over, re-earning account-wide rewards, and so on. I haven't paid for my second account in years, despite it having several (what used to be) level-capped characters on my preferred servers, and also being a game where having alts is actually supported in gameplay terms.

I'd gladly give SE extra money to be able to avoid all that faff. ._.

Like... I'd basically be paying to avoid the inconvenience. I'm fine with that.

And if you wouldn't be, well, you can just make another account!

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - K'nahli - 09-05-2016

I wouldn't dare suggest this should be high priority feature or that bigger things be pushed aside just to satisfy this one little element for a rather obvious minority, but it was simply my hope that it would not be the most difficult thing to implement and I wished to get Dev feedback at the very least.

In any case, thank you all for your contributions so far ^^

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - SicketySix - 09-06-2016

I'm all for increasing the number of characters allowed per server, per account.

And frankly I don't really see the concern about how it makes it harder for everyone else to get on the server. Do what most everyone else had to do, pay for a transfer.

It's really as simple as that.

RE: Eight Character Limit Appeal - Faye - 09-06-2016

Normally, I'd be all for raising the amount of character slots, but not with housing how it is now on Balmung. FFXIV really needs to get it together and fix the housing issue. And yes--server restrictions are set based on the amount of online users (hence why every now and then, you can sneak a character in before/after maintenance or after a server crash) and not the amount of players in general, or individual characters on the server, so log in times would not suffer, nor would it add to the problem of the server being constantly closed.