Hydaelyn Role-Players
Question on Highlanders - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Question on Highlanders (/showthread.php?tid=18156)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Question on Highlanders - Lizzo - 01-10-2017

As a Canadian, I can't really tell British Isles accents apart from each too easily, unless it's a ridiculous difference; as such, I still prefer Raubahn's new VA over 2.0.
Think I'll do what Sounsyy mentioned and make my character's father from Sharlayan, would be a minor detail, but an interesting one. (As he fought in the Battle of Carteneau and has been presumed dead since - and I have a plan to bring him back in 4.0).

RE: Question on Highlanders - Virella - 01-10-2017

(01-10-2017, 04:16 PM)Kilieit Wrote:
(01-10-2017, 03:26 PM)Virella Wrote:
(01-10-2017, 03:16 PM)Kilieit Wrote: Extremely small contribution:

Raubahn's 3.0 accent is from Yorkshire, not Scotland! Faintly so (probably just because the voice actor is effecting the accent rather than having it naturally), but nonetheless.

*src: mum is from Yorkshire, lol
Uuuh. Not to start a completely OT discussion here, but my ex is from Leeds and he was in stitches over Raubahn's VA for it trying to sound like a 'random northern' accent.

I agree, it's not Scottish, but it's also not something from up Yorkshire. It is just a voice actor trying to sound like a very generic northern British bloke and failing miserably at it according to a lot of UK/Scots/Irish folk Tongue

Honestly... I wasn't impressed with the accent either. xD It's obviously a southerner's attempt, and his vowel shapes in particular fall short in most sentences, if not all.

I think they think Yorkshire's an easy "northern" one for them to try because, like... Emmerdale is a thing. LOL. Other "northern England" accents aren't quite as popularised, I don't think.

It makes it even harder to incorporate Raubahn (and Ilberd's) accents into clues about Highlander/Ala Mhigan society.
If only they would give us more lore, or real life references for dialect/accents/languages in Eorzea!

Then again I've seen people headcanon that Ala Mhigan speak Dutch :l Not German, but Dutch. Being Dutch myself? Nooooo thanks on that one. (Dutch is an ugly  language without any charm to it to begin with)

RE: Question on Highlanders - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-10-2017

The thing about Eorzean accents is they're not supposed to sound -exactly- like some real-world equivalent. It was brought up in one of the lore panels that the vocal team does have some sort of vocal requirement to sound a particular way though. That said, the English dub is trying to do something that sounds "older" and only so much vocal training can really modify a person's speech.

So they might kinda sound Scottish or Northern or something else or none of the above. I wouldn't be too concerned with it. Especially since only the english language in the game gets all those localization goodies. The other languages don't get all the archaic stuff or cryptic messages. Or all the cool lore-filled flavor-text until after the English team's written it. (Yes, the main script is usually in Japanese first, but the other localization teams generate unique content too!)

RE: Question on Highlanders - Arcian - 01-10-2017

(01-10-2017, 04:16 PM)Kilieit Wrote:
(01-10-2017, 03:26 PM)Virella Wrote:
(01-10-2017, 03:16 PM)Kilieit Wrote: Extremely small contribution:

Raubahn's 3.0 accent is from Yorkshire, not Scotland! Faintly so (probably just because the voice actor is effecting the accent rather than having it naturally), but nonetheless.

*src: mum is from Yorkshire, lol
Uuuh. Not to start a completely OT discussion here, but my ex is from Leeds and he was in stitches over Raubahn's VA for it trying to sound like a 'random northern' accent.

I agree, it's not Scottish, but it's also not something from up Yorkshire. It is just a voice actor trying to sound like a very generic northern British bloke and failing miserably at it according to a lot of UK/Scots/Irish folk Tongue

Honestly... I wasn't impressed with the accent either. xD It's obviously a southerner's attempt, and his vowel shapes in particular fall short in most sentences, if not all.

I think they think Yorkshire's an easy "northern" one for them to try because, like... Emmerdale is a thing. LOL. Other "northern England" accents aren't quite as popularised, I don't think.

It makes it even harder to incorporate Raubahn (and Ilberd's) accents into clues about Highlander/Ala Mhigan society.

Yeah, my dad's side of the family is from the UK (Merseyside, to be exact), and neither of us could figure out what the hell his accent was supposed to be, so we just had a laugh about it for a few minutes.

It makes sense that they'd go for a generic 'northern' accent, but man, it's kinda hilarious.

Quote:Then again I've seen people headcanon that Ala Mhigan speak Dutch

I met a guy once who insisted that Highlanders were Slavic. I am still not quite sure where he got that from.