Hydaelyn Role-Players
Server guidance for those new to the community - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Server guidance for those new to the community (/showthread.php?tid=3373)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Yini Kihn - 08-08-2013

(08-07-2013, 11:53 PM)Kylin Wrote:
(08-07-2013, 11:49 PM)Aysun Wrote: Why'd this get moved to Off Topic?

Because the topic of discussion is directly related to the site layout itself (the message at the top of the site) and not the game.

Apologies if I posted in the wrong place! I just thought it fit better in "FFXIV Discussions" with the rest of the server-related threads: This isn't really a "miscellaneous discussion" as the description for this forum reads, although it is certainly related to the site itself as you said. My mistake!

In any case, do you have any thoughts on this topic, Kylin? I'm presuming, perhaps incorrectly, that you're one of the people capable of making this change and there seems to be something of a consensus that it's appropriate.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Kylin - 08-08-2013

I have no qualms with changing it, but I don't think you'll find much support for that on the Gilgamesh side. But I'd rather hear what the other mods (and other users) think as well. That being said, even if it was changed, I don't believe the forum announcement feature supports links.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Merri - 08-08-2013

We will not be shifting from our neutral stance on the subject. As it stands, Gilgamesh is not in any way a "secondary" server, and we currently have no plans to label it as such.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Aysun - 08-08-2013

(08-08-2013, 12:07 AM)Merri Wrote: We will not be shifting from our neutral stance on the subject. As it stands, Gilgamesh is not in any way a "secondary" server, and we currently have no plans to label it as such.
You're incorrect. It has been the secondary server since the start.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2540&highlight=secondary+server+vote

Kylin Wrote:In the interest of community cohesion, Balmung will remain the primary server (again, barring mitigating circumstances) and we will continue to recommend it to those who prefer to be where the largest gathering of roleplayers are, but for those who— for whatever reason— do not wish to join a legacy server, we will recommend the secondary non-Legacy server.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Selsix - 08-08-2013

(08-08-2013, 12:09 AM)Aysun Wrote:
(08-08-2013, 12:07 AM)Merri Wrote: We will not be shifting from our neutral stance on the subject. As it stands, Gilgamesh is not in any way a "secondary" server, and we currently have no plans to label it as such.
You're incorrect. It has been the secondary server since the start.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2540&highlight=secondary+server+vote

Kylin Wrote:In the interest of community cohesion, Balmung will remain the primary server (again, barring mitigating circumstances) and we will continue to recommend it to those who prefer to be where the largest gathering of roleplayers are, but for those who— for whatever reason— do not wish to join a legacy server, we will recommend the secondary non-Legacy server.
I hate to break it to you, but that vote is kinda moot with the mass influx of new players going to Gilgamesh. We don't see it as "secondary". We see it as "alternative". 

You should really change the wording to be a little less Balmung-flaunting and more neutral by saying:

A Realm Reborn launches August 27th! Balmung is an RP server for both new and legacy characters. While Gilgamesh is another server for new characters exclusively. Please post any server-related questions in our thread dedicated to the topic. Thanks, and happy adventures!

There you go, minor change yet preserves the neutrality of the listing. Swap it to that and I support it.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Gerik - 08-08-2013

(08-08-2013, 12:14 AM)Selsix Wrote: I hate to break it to you, but that vote is kinda moot with the mass influx of new players going to Gilgamesh. We don't see it as "secondary". We see it as "alternative". 

You should really change the wording to be a little less Balmung-flaunting and more neutral by saying:

A Realm Reborn launches August 27th! Balmung is an RP server for both new and legacy characters. While Gilgamesh is another server for new characters exclusively. Please post any server-related questions in our thread dedicated to the topic. Thanks, and happy adventures!

There you go, minor change yet preserves the neutrality of the listing. Swap it to that and I support it.

Just because you don't see it as secondary doesn't mean it's not secondary~

(08-08-2013, 12:15 AM)Gerik Wrote:
(08-08-2013, 12:14 AM)Selsix Wrote: I hate to break it to you, but that vote is kinda moot with the mass influx of new players going to Gilgamesh. We don't see it as "secondary". We see it as "alternative". 

Just because you don't see it as secondary doesn't mean it's not secondary~

And this is exactly why it shouldn't be changed to say "primary" and "secondary". Even something that minor to a new forum viewer is going to make Balmung look better. Who wants to be on a secondary server when there's a primary one?

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Merri - 08-08-2013

(08-08-2013, 12:09 AM)Aysun Wrote: You're incorrect. It has been the secondary server since the start.

I am not incorrect. I know for a fact we came to an agreement not to label any server with priority over the other, and have gone to great lengths to prevent such labels from being thrown around. If I'm not mistaken, this took place well after that poll was made and the issue itself was first brought up.

It is not at all fair for us to label any server over the other, as that is not the point of the different servers. Balmung isn't the main server, and we should not advertise it as such. Gilgamesh is simply the non-legacy server, and nothing more. We really don't need to give it the "secondary" label. It's completely unnecessary and only serves to undermine it's validity.

As much as neutrality is desired, as Kylin stated in the original poll, Balmung is the primary server supported by this website, and Gilgamesh is the secondary. I'm sorry if that doesn't please everyone (I honestly wish it did), but it's not something should change.

(08-08-2013, 12:18 AM)Aysun Wrote: As much as neutrality is desired, as Kylin stated in the original poll, Balmung is the primary server supported by this website, and Gilgamesh is the secondary. I'm sorry if that doesn't please everyone (I honestly wish it did), but it's not something should change.

Please point out where on this website ANYWHERE on the front page that it says Balmung is the "primary" server.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - Rhan'ir Azal - 08-08-2013

(08-08-2013, 12:14 AM)Selsix Wrote: A Realm Reborn launches August 27th! Balmung is an RP server for both new and legacy characters. While Gilgamesh is another server for new characters exclusively. Please post any server-related questions in our thread dedicated to the topic. Thanks, and happy adventures!

Even this is more direct and helpful to new comers to the site. Short, to the point, informative, and entirely neutral!

If the announcement does not allow for links, then the information presented is simple enough to remove the link portion.

(08-08-2013, 12:21 AM)Selsix Wrote:
(08-08-2013, 12:18 AM)Aysun Wrote: As much as neutrality is desired, as Kylin stated in the original poll, Balmung is the primary server supported by this website, and Gilgamesh is the secondary. I'm sorry if that doesn't please everyone (I honestly wish it did), but it's not something should change.

Please point out where on this website ANYWHERE on the front page that it says Balmung is the "primary" server.

Please see the above poll when Gilgamesh was selected as the secondary server.

(08-08-2013, 12:22 AM)Aysun Wrote:
(08-08-2013, 12:21 AM)Selsix Wrote:

Please see the above poll when Gilgamesh was selected as the secondary server.

Please see the above post where Merri discredited that.

RE: Server guidance for those new to the community - ArmachiA - 08-08-2013

Then just use alternative. Come on guys, not everything has to be an argument.

(08-08-2013, 12:25 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: Then just use alternative. Come on guys, not everything has to be an argument.

This is all I'm saying. If you want it neutral, keep it neutral. Don't make it favor one in a subtle fashion and call it neutral.