Hydaelyn Role-Players
Anime/Manga General - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Anime/Manga General (/showthread.php?tid=4725)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Anime/Manga General - SessionZero - 09-29-2013

I must be the only halfway otaku on Earth not watching Attack on Titan. I've been busying myself with Fate/Stay Night and Sword Art Online.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Tobias Nightbringer - 09-29-2013

I fail at being an Otaku (which is both a good and bad thing xD) since I can't even remember the last time I actually even bothered looking at an Anime to be honest.

Only recently, and I can't even remember why, I picked up Attack on Titan...and Free! Iwatobi Swim Club >.> The latter was forced upon me, I swear! xD

Heard good things about FSN and SAO but ain't got time for dat!

RE: Anime/Manga General - Val - 09-29-2013

(09-29-2013, 03:48 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote: Soooooo...

Attack on Titan series (Anime) is over...probably forever. *sigh* Well it was a great run while it lasted!
I've heard nothing but good things about Attack on Titan, and yet I've never seen it.

..Though, to be honest, I haven't had much time to watch a lot of anime. The last things I've seen were the Berserk remakes and the Evangelion remakes.

Oh. And Sword Art Online, but I really didn't like it at all.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Tobias Nightbringer - 09-29-2013

(09-29-2013, 05:06 PM)Val Wrote: I've heard nothing but good things about Attack on Titan, and yet I've never seen it.

..Though, to be honest, I haven't had much time to watch a lot of anime. The last things I've seen were the Berserk remakes and the Evangelion remakes.

Dat Berserk remake tho! xD

Haven't watched the Eva. remakes. Hell, never really watched the first series either. Apparently the original had like three different endings that were somehow canon or some shit? So I was like...yeah I'm good.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Val - 09-29-2013

(09-29-2013, 05:36 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote:
(09-29-2013, 05:06 PM)Val Wrote: I've heard nothing but good things about Attack on Titan, and yet I've never seen it.

Haven't watched the Eva. remakes. Hell, never really watched the first series either. Apparently the original had like three different endings that were somehow canon or some shit? So I was like...yeah I'm good.
I'm a huuuuuge fan of Eva. And yeah it's confusing as hell to watch. It took me a few sessions to figure the whole thing out =p

RE: Anime/Manga General - LeCard - 09-30-2013

(09-29-2013, 09:52 PM)Val Wrote:
(09-29-2013, 05:36 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote:

I'm a huuuuuge fan of Eva. And yeah it's confusing as hell to watch. It took me a few sessions to figure the whole thing out =p
Eva for the win! And to be fair the first two ending are one in the same, just one is the plot of the episode and the other is the shinny anime part =P they blew the budget on the series....

The new movies are ok, but the latest one made me wonder where they are going with this set, cause it sure aint Eva anymore. < I have theories, but will reserve them for private conversation where spoiler tags aren't need =)

RE: Anime/Manga General - TheLastCandle - 09-30-2013

(09-29-2013, 03:48 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote: Soooooo...

Attack on Titan series (Anime) is over...probably forever. *sigh* Well it was a great run while it lasted!

What have you heard to indicate "probably forever?" I was under the impression that it's on hiatus and coming back next year.

RE: Anime/Manga General - ryanxwonbin - 09-30-2013

(09-29-2013, 04:19 PM)SessionZero Wrote: I must be the only halfway otaku on Earth not watching Attack on Titan. I've been busying myself with Fate/Stay Night and Sword Art Online.

I've read the manga and don't watch it either. To be honest, I think it's vastly overrated.

In any case, don't watch the Fate/Stay Night anime! Visual novel is the way to go.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Swift Nightclaw - 09-30-2013

I started in the mid to late 90s when the only US source for anime on television was Sci-Fi channel's Saturday morning "Japanimation" which was later changed to Saturday anime.

First anime I saw:
Akira
Project A-Ko (Gray Side/Blue Side is actually my favorite of them)
Record of Lodoss War
Vampire Hunter D
Ninja Scroll
The Slayers

I must have watched my Lodoss War VHS two dozen times, then I got the DVD later, then I got the Collector's Edition DVD.

Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Samurai Seven, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Sword Art Online,The Slayers, Hyper Police are some favorites.

Witchblade is really good. I expected a fan service fest, but the story is actually good and has one of those "last 4 episodes kinda make you just wanna die" feeling.

I liked Spice & Wolf, Seikirei, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, most Ghibli films really (except Totoro, I didn't care for it), Elfen Lied, Kino's Journey, and High School of Dead (ridiculous, I mean RIDICULOUS, fan service aside). Oh, and Our Home's Fox Deity (but I'm a fan of foxes and kitsune stories).

Puella Magi Magica Madoka was tremendous as a deconstruction of the magical girl trope.

I've only seen some of Attack on Titan. I kind of lost interest when they revealed the main character could turn into one or whatever. It seemed interesting, but then I felt it became "flesh mecha." I'll finish the anime to give it a fair shake.

The World God Only Knows is one I HIGHLY recommend to any gamer. Wink

My "to watch" list is way too big. Sad
Probably going to finally watch Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood soon.

And you can argue for or against defining it as anime, but Avatar: The Last Airbender is probably one of my favorite animated series of all times, hands down.  It is a near perfectly told story with well paced character development to me.

Waiting on Hellsing Ultimate OVA to be release in a complete set to watch that one.

As for manga, I like Ai Yori Aoshi, Hyper Police, Et Cetera (very Trigun-esque and seems fairly unknown, but really good), and Akira.  I used to read a lot more manga when I worked at a book store and could read them on break, check them out from work, and got a discount buying them.  I don't read too much manga anymore, though.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Tobias Nightbringer - 09-30-2013

(09-29-2013, 09:52 PM)Val Wrote: I'm a huuuuuge fan of Eva. And yeah it's confusing as hell to watch. It took me a few sessions to figure the whole thing out =p

I would imagine so! Like apparently the creator was in a DEEP depression for awhile during the making of the manga or something like that? All I can remember in one scene is the main character seeing the red-hair chick (Asuka?) in a hospital and some stuff happens...then next scene suddenly he is yanked himself and uhh...yeah...

Confusing to say the least Tongue

(09-30-2013, 10:15 AM)Teveriel Wrote: What have you heard to indicate "probably forever?" I was under the impression that it's on hiatus and coming back next year.

There has been no official announcement from what I can tell (then again, I hope to GOD I am wrong since I haven't looked for it). Not even a "See you next year!" or anything like that. NO previews on the last episode (which means nothing, I know). Though, honestly, I am really relying on my Tumblr friends that are obsessed with it (and DAMN dem girls are obsessed with it xD) to scream in my ear, "THEY ANNOUNCED SEASON TWO!"

...like they did with Free! Iwatobi Swim Club >.> *sigh*

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this happens to AoT because SO many other AMAZING series have had the same fate. Berserk being one that instantly comes to mind.  But, I keep hoping to the VERY core of my tiny MINISCULE black soul I am wrong xD

RE: Anime/Manga General - Raccoon - 09-30-2013

Attack on Titan's slated for the spring or summer 2014 season. I'll hunt down the link later, but it was probably on ANN if you want to save me the effort.

There's really no limit to what I'll watch. Last season I was watching, or am still watching for those that are continuing, Attack on Titan, Watamote, Sunday without God, Hakkenden, Free!, Hunter x Hunter, Majestic Prince, and so on on Crunchyroll alone. Then there Monogatari Second Season, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, Symphogear, Danganropa, and High School DxD on fansub.

So, yeah, my tastes are rather... all over the place. Mecha, harem, violence, action, comedy, a little shounen-ai, some magical girl, and so on and so forth. To name my favorites would be a little... difficult? If I liked it, I bought it, and I don't have room for the ones I've got and there's more coming out all the time.

I'm not so big on manga though. I read Naruto and Bleach after a few months so there's a nice backlog, but it's actually more because they never seem to end rather than that I don't like waiting. Every so often a new series will catch my attention and I'll read it, but I don't go looking for them.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Tobias Nightbringer - 10-01-2013

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-28/attack-on-titan-staff-and-cast/more-anime-not-green-lit-yet

After a very brief search on ANN, this is the article that I found. Now if they have actually GREEN LIT it yet, I have yet to find. Though, I am scouring the website now xD

RE: Anime/Manga General - ryanxwonbin - 10-01-2013

Any thoughts on shows from next season? I assume most people are going to try Kill la Kill, Log Horizon, and Kyoukai no Kanata while fans of Infinite Stratos and Valvrave the Liberator are picking the second season up. There's also the Blazblue one as well.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Naunet - 10-01-2013

(10-01-2013, 02:19 AM)ryanxwonbin Wrote: Kill la Kill, Log Horizon, and Kyoukai no Kanata while fans of Infinite Stratos and Valvrave the Liberator are picking the second season up. There's also the Blazblue one as well.

This is a little off-topic, but jeezus what the frak is up with names for anime. xD So many just sound like a bunch of random words mushed together haha.

RE: Anime/Manga General - TheLastCandle - 10-01-2013

(10-01-2013, 02:19 AM)ryanxwonbin Wrote: Any thoughts on shows from next season? I assume most people are going to try Kill la Kill, Log Horizon, and Kyoukai no Kanata while fans of Infinite Stratos and Valvrave the Liberator are picking the second season up. There's also the Blazblue one as well.
Of those, the only one I'm familiar with is Blazblue. I played Calamity Trigger a ton (Main: Taokaka!) although my interest was waning by the time Continuum Shift made it over. Still, I love the idea of revisiting CT's story in anime form!