Hydaelyn Role-Players
Should gamers be accountable for in-game war crimes? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Should gamers be accountable for in-game war crimes? (/showthread.php?tid=4937)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Should gamers be accountable for in-game war crimes? - Raccoon - 10-10-2013

Yeeeeah, I'm doomed if they manage to do anything with this. The amount of people I've killed in horrible, horrible ways in the Prototype series alone will have me locked away for a very long time. Or is it only bad if someone mods it so that it takes place in the Middle East instead of NYC? Hm, tempting.

RE: Should gamers be accountable for in-game war crimes? - Swift Nightclaw - 10-10-2013

(10-10-2013, 02:24 PM)Raccoon Wrote: Yeeeeah, I'm doomed if they manage to do anything with this. The amount of people I've killed in horrible, horrible ways in the Prototype series alone will have me locked away for a very long time. Or is it only bad if someone mods it so that it takes place in the Middle East instead of NYC? Hm, tempting.

I don't think Prototype would count under "realistic war game" Big Grin

(PS, that's a cool raccoon drawing. It makes me want him as a wisecracking sidekick...)

RE: Should gamers be accountable for in-game war crimes? - Cato - 10-10-2013

It doesn't matter how realistic a game ends up being, if people can't learn to separate reality from a simulation/video game then they don't have much business getting their hands upon them.

Besides, 'realism' in cases such as this would likely amount to pushing particularly political agendas. Let's be honest here - most of what is considered to be a 'war crime' these days tends to only be a 'war crime' when the enemy does it. Though that's touching on a political debate I'd probably best not fire up on a site like this.

RE: Should gamers be accountable for in-game war crimes? - Swift Nightclaw - 10-10-2013

(10-10-2013, 02:46 PM)Theodric Ironheart Wrote: It doesn't matter how realistic a game ends up being, if people can't learn to separate reality from a simulation/video game then they don't have much business getting their hands upon them.

Besides, 'realism' in cases such as this would likely amount to pushing particularly political agendas. Let's be honest here - most of what is considered to be a 'war crime' these days tends to only be a 'war crime' when the enemy does it. Though that's touching on a political debate I'd probably best not fire up on a site like this.

"Nobody ever considers themselves to be the villain."

But that's why the whole suggestion being made is the games follow the international war laws, Geneva Convention, things like that. It's supposedly what we all agreed were the "rules" of war.

Sun Tzu would probably laugh at all of it. >_>

I don't think anything like this would ever go in, but I'd still be intrigued by a game that did have more than just "go pew pew pew everything" as part of the gameplay.

RE: Should gamers be accountable for in-game war crimes? - LeCard - 10-10-2013

(10-10-2013, 04:17 PM)Swift Nightclaw Wrote: Sun Tzu would probably laugh at all of it. >_>

Hehe, yea....Sun Tzu would be laughing at all this.

Tzu would probably fall under villain now a days, as he uses real tactics to slaughter us all and take over the world while we sit here and try to "play by the rules". The rules would just be a nice little piece of cheese for him to get us to follow into his traps.

Though now that i stop to think about it, is modern war anything other than it twitched shoot it? maybe games really ARE too realistic =P

RE: Should gamers be accountable for in-game war crimes? - Haven's Fox - 10-13-2013

They should go check out EVE Online! They would absolutely lose it since everything goes!

RE: Should gamers be accountable for in-game war crimes? - Naunet - 10-13-2013

(10-06-2013, 11:02 PM)K Wrote: Funny, how I read it was someone from the Red Cross saying "I think realistic military simulators should include realistic military consequences for realistic military crimes."

It doesn't sound like they mean to court martial people playing Halo in real life. Just that Call of Duty-esque games, which are realistic representations of modern conflicts should address the fact their are consequences for your actions. Something that I think more of the youth playing CoD need. I don't think it's a bad idea from my completely subjective moral standpoint.

That's how I read it, and honestly? That sounds like a really fun video game.

RE: Should gamers be accountable for in-game war crimes? - Dogberry - 10-17-2013

If governments aren't being held accountable for war crimes anymore, why should people playing video games?