Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balling Up the Character Sheet - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Balling Up the Character Sheet (/showthread.php?tid=6495)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - C'kayah Polaali - 02-26-2014

There's always a bold change of RP direction, too, Steel. I think you'd make a fine villain, for example. Lominsan pirate, perhaps? Buckle some swashes?

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-26-2014

(02-26-2014, 06:38 PM)Ckayah Tia Wrote: There's always a bold change of RP direction, too, Steel. I think you'd make a fine villain, for example. Lominsan pirate, perhaps? Buckle some swashes?

You and your criminality Angry

Alternatively, feel free to contact me if you're interested in this arc I'm starting.
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=6482

You did say you were from Ul'dah, and it will involve some IC dungeoning, so shoot me a PM if you want more info.

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - C'kayah Polaali - 02-26-2014

(02-26-2014, 06:55 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(02-26-2014, 06:38 PM)C Wrote: There's always a bold change of RP direction, too, Steel. I think you'd make a fine villain, for example. Lominsan pirate, perhaps? Buckle some swashes?

Heart Criminal ties make anyone sexier, Nat. You know that. Heart

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - SunKittyEm - 02-26-2014

Well, E certainly thought you were intriguing when they met at that valentione's ball thingy! And she doesn't know enough Roe, so that'd be a good way to get into some character interaction with E.

I find that having a martial character decide to practice something arcane leads to interesting development. E is a prodigy of pugilism (even unlocking some chakra and mastering monkish abilities without being aware monkism is a thing) but even still, she's decided to practice and study Arcanum, even going so far as to walk around with a Carbuncle any time she's busy studying. Which she does while walking around Ul'dah entirely too often.

So if you're considering going a different route with Steel, maybe have her get curious about magic? Nothing says she has to make it her primary IC discipline, and certainly nothing says she has to be any good at it (E is at best a subpar Arcanist) plus it gives you a huge variety in endgame choices if you go the whole way with the class ooc (I'm planning on rockin' scholar personally).

Hit me up if you wanna meet up.

...But I tend to get popular, when I'm looking for rp. (sorry still, Caen!)

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-27-2014

(02-26-2014, 06:58 PM)Ckayah Tia Wrote:
(02-26-2014, 06:38 PM)C Wrote: There's always a bold change of RP direction, too, Steel. I think you'd make a fine villain, for example. Lominsan pirate, perhaps? Buckle some swashes?

Follow the rules!

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - C'kayah Polaali - 02-27-2014

(02-27-2014, 12:04 AM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(02-26-2014, 06:58 PM)C Wrote:

Follow the rules!
HeartHeartHeart Or there will be discipline? HeartHeartHeart

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Kage - 02-27-2014

No Steel don't listen to C! D:

In fact you should totally see about joining the Nat's arc. Represent every race (but Elezen) I mean.

Unless you want to be going that route. Just try to have fun~

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Musemi - 02-27-2014

Hey Steel. 

I've been where you are several times, and particularly in ffxiv. Usually it can be attributed to one of two things (or both things):

A) your character has been derailed.

This can happen when your character goes so off course, that you no longer know who they are. It can be very difficult to connect to them, and rp begins to feel like a chore. This is why I've always advocated alts. Alts can bring a breath of fresh air in, while your other character 'rests'. Sometimes you just need a mental break from a character. Think of it as avoiding a friend who's been getting on your nerves lately :p. When you go back, everything's cool, and you're able to have fun again!

These ebbs and flows are pretty normal in rp though, so don't get discouraged!

B) you don't like the game.

This is what happened to me with ffxiv. I really liked this community a lot (enough to still check these forums two months after I left the game). They are mature and friendly, and work to resolve their differences. So I tried reaaaalllly hard to like the game. Because of the community.

But in the end, I had to face the fact that ffxiv has the most boring, unimpressive combat I've ever seen (just my personal opinion. I'm happy for the folks who are having a good time here!). My displeasure with the game was affecting how I approached other aspects: when there was no rp I was just frustrated and started to feel burnt out. Rp and community unfortunately is not enough if you do not like the game. Luckily I've found a game I like very much, and I haven't even rp'd in 3 weeks (as opposed to everyday in ffxiv) because I'm having so much fun.

And finally, sometimes you just ned to step away for a week or two. Take a break. Clear your mind. Rp exacts a high toll of creative energy, and everyone needs to recharge now and then. Maybe after a break you'll be able to look at the game and your character with fresh eyes.

Hopefully 1 of those 3 will work for ya. Good luck!

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Flickering Ember - 02-27-2014

I had this happen to me before in a different MMO and I wouldn't be surprised if I saw it happen to myself again.

I got my character to max level, put in all this time, and the realized "Wow, I really don't care about this character."

In my personal experience, no amount of trying to change the character has ever helped. I either like the character or I don't and if I don't then I need to start over completely fresh. Although, that may not work for you. And what may not work for me could work for you.

Maybe you should try rolling a new character. Make a character concept you never play as well as a class you never play. See if it works for you. I have had some success with doing this, actually. 

Make sure to roleplay as you level so you can decide early enough if you like her or not.

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-28-2014

Hey Steel I'm going to hold onto your gift. If you ever want to make a new Char I'll give it to them. Else I'll give it back to you whenever you want. I'm honored, but I think you're making a rash decision.

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Koninbeor - 02-28-2014

I also recently felt that my character was derailed beyond repair for various reasons. For me, the solution ended up being a completely new character. I'm happy with my class, just not with my character. I used Fantasia to change my race, date of birth, and god. After that, I paid for a server transfer and created a character with my old character name on the server so I'll be forced to change names when I transfer back. Speaking of which, I forgot to transfer back last night. Anywho, I get a brand new character this way without losing any the hours I put into leveling and I can recreate the old character and put him on the backburner in case I ever have the urge to RP with him. Of course, leveling him a second time isn't likely, so he'll probably be an RP only character.

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Steel Wolf - 03-02-2014

Welp, I was as close to the "edge" as I had come with this character, even going so far as to have cancelled my service account...but a day afterwards I immediately regretted trying to wipe all traces of the game from my drive.

I owe it to myself, and to anyone who would like to interact with Steel, to try again and apply myself.  Right now I'm dabbling in different classes to see which feels good and is a fun fit.  MRD and LNC so far are bringing the most enjoyment PvE-side, and I'll get myself more involved in things RP-side.

Thanks, as usual, to everyone in this forum for their thoughts and help and support.  I am SO glad I found this site.  <3

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - C'kayah Polaali - 03-02-2014

I'm glad you're sticking around, Steel. It was fun RPing with you at the V-day ball, I'm looking forward to more.

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Kage - 03-03-2014

I'm so very happy to see this! Big Grin

Kage's totally becoming a lvl50 paladin this week so if you ever need a tank and I'm available I'd totally help ya if you're going in with your LNC. You don't need me at all as a MRD. XD;

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Seriphyn - 03-03-2014

Yeees, I was going to suggest on top of leveling the other tank class, to level a dps class too. Not only can dps classes be fun, but they will also make you a better tank!