Hydaelyn Role-Players
Freelancers - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Freelancers (/showthread.php?tid=672)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Freelancers - Merri - 09-19-2010

I suppose you could call me Freelance, though my own motives aren't so simple as me not wanting to be in a Linkshell and nothing more. While some Linkshells may have it set up to make sense for applicants, I don't really enjoy pushing my characters down that road.

I simply prefer to interact with people in-game, and see where things lead from there. Developing a strong kinship with a Linkshell over time and being asked to join their ranks seems much more involved and meaningful to me than simply applying to join them. However, this has approach always had major flaws in almost any MMORPG I've used it in.

Namely, Linkshells (Or guilds, or whatever else the specific game's organizations are called) being busy with their own arcs, and being busy roleplaying with their own members to really branch out much and interact with random members of the community on a regular basis. That fact alone really does make you go the extra mile to find and obtain meaningful roleplay. It can be a hassle, but it can also be very rewarding.

I was a lone wolf for I'd say roughly 95% of my career in Aion. Didn't really work out in the end. I have a feeling I'll encounter the same ordeal here, as stated earlier, all the Linkshells that I could possibly click with at this point are more or less closed off to applicants.

Re: Freelancers - Satisiun - 09-19-2010

Brin Ahlrine Wrote:When I ran a RP LS, the events that got planned out OOC'ly were done so in order to make sure all the players would be available at a certain time. This was usually the case for players who were moving their story arc along. WIth forum RP, it's a lot easier, as you can wait over the period of days for everyone (who is needed) to particpate in the thread. In-game, the RP is done right then and there, so there has to be some sort of planning for a huge event like that.

For everyday RP, it usually went about as organically as you are referring to. Our characters would just start up RP here or there in a natural way.

See, that's a very justified rationale right there, the event thing. I certainly have no qualm with that. You need to know the schedule of players for such a thing, and when best to invite people so as many characters as possible can come to said event.

My main gripe was more directed at those who really have no clue how to just approach a person whom they recognize as a role-player, and the way that some linkshells effectively cause people to unlearn, or perhaps even never learn, what it is like to approach characters without any sort of excess preparation, or sometimes even just any preparation.

But I'm also an old codger by online RP experience terms (has it really been 15 years now? I miss you, AOL 2.0 ...), and I remember when you basically lived off of free-form role-playing when in chat rooms. So I might just sound crotchety and old. Laugh I just think free-form styles of role-play are a slowly dying breed, and closed groups are one of the reasons why, especially in MMOs.

Re: Freelancers - Trizzip - 09-19-2010

Well....whenever PS3 release gets here, we'll be able to do some old school RP together :ugeek:

Re: Freelancers - Nyila - 09-19-2010

Rain Wrote:I simply prefer to interact with people in-game, and see where things lead from there. Developing a strong kinship with a Linkshell over time and being asked to join their ranks seems much more involved and meaningful to me than simply applying to join them.

This is exactly how I feel, and I couldn't have said it better. While it makes sense to apply for some 'shells, it's so much more rewarding (to me) to develop an IC relationship with them. And even if an application still applies, I'd still prefer for a member to go "Hey.. you know if you apply, you could probably join us more!" because my character has gotten to be good friends with his, or someone having an IC recruitment drive of some kind, or finding out about it some other way in game.

I guess my point is that this is why I haven't really looked into anywhere to join. It's not that I don't want to join anyone, it just doesn't feel right to do so yet. And I'm all about feelin' right.

Re: Freelancers - KittyWizard - 09-19-2010

I've always been sort of a freelancer~ I'm pretty anti-social in game, & it's hard for me to build relationships online. That's why I was so happy to find this site before game release, since I find it's much easier to meet people this way. x3;;
Anyways, I'd love to be involved in a group, but I'm much too shy to apply for any. I was planning on waiting till the game started, then figuring out what I wanted to do from there^^.
I sort of have a plan for my own LS eventually, but I don't think many people want to be bossed around by a 16 year old. So I'm taking my time. <:

Re: Freelancers - DAISHI - 09-19-2010

How do you guys hang out with these linkshells? I mean, given than an LS is prone to taking care of its members first, since they're sort of like families. Do you randomly encounter them in parties or in towns? Do these sort of relationships really come about easily?

Re: Freelancers - Trizzip - 09-19-2010

DAISHI Wrote:How do you guys hang out with these linkshells? I mean, given than an LS is prone to taking care of its members first, since they're sort of like families. Do you randomly encounter them in parties or in towns? Do these sort of relationships really come about easily?

In XI, I had my LS but I RP'd with anyone I could. Some characters even became important to my character's life and that person wouldn't even be in my LS.