Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Long Road Ahead - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: The Long Road Ahead (/showthread.php?tid=6901)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 05-02-2014

He chuckled even through the heat under the armor and the shortness of breath. She was sweet and had felt for him. It was a kindness he would remember.

"Not to worry....I'm in trouble but for something foolish I did. While what I did probably didn't hurt anyone, this..."character building exercise" will help me remember to not do it again."

He took a small drink, and looked down. "I'm sorry for how I must look...I am usually in better shape than this. My name is Rurutani...though most call me Ruru."

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Aya - 05-02-2014

She smiles back while listening, "Well, Ruru, my name is Aya, and l I hope you find all of this effort worthwhile when you look back on it.  And you just look like someone who's been running all morning, that's nothing to be ashamed of, hmmm?  How much longer are you going to be running?"

He glanced around again, seeing no sign of Kage or Natalie.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Aya, truly. I have 50 laps to run....and that was lap 40. So, ten more to go."

He looked down, as he knew he needed to get back to it. It would do him no good to get himself into further trouble, and the sentries were looking unhappy with the meeting on the Strip. He also didn't want to get Aya into trouble as she looked dressed for work.

He stammered a bit, trying to find the words. "Ah...I, uhm...I should get back to it. Don't want to get more laps added, right?" He laughed nervously and ran his hand behind his head in an embarrassed and nervous manner. "Thank you again for the water. It means a lot to me."

She nods seriously, her eyes wide with concern once more, the barest smile on her lips, "It should give you enough energy to finish now right!?" she returns the the cap to the water skin as he finishes slaking his thirst for the moment, "You're almost there!  Do you know the Quicksand?  When you're done come by and you can have the rest of this water, and I'll get you something to eat--you're going to be starving!"

He nods at Aya. "I would love to. Thank you so much again. It was a pleasure meeting you and many thanks."

He moves and begins a fast walk away, waving as he does so. As he looks back he waves at her and smiles brightly.

As he began to run again, he smiled and nodded. It was a good day after all.

Aya stands back up as the Lalafel turns to continue his run.  Holding the water skin with both hands, just as she was when he first saw her.  She smiles brightly and watches him start around the circle again, before turning around herself and heading back to the Quicksand; hoping to avoid any trouble with Momodi.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 05-05-2014

He woke in the middle of night, screaming.

He gasped for air as he sat up, clutching the sides of the bed with a white-knuckle grip, and sweat dripped from his forehead. As his breathing got under control he tried to recall the dream, only recalling small details such as the presence of his dead mother and sister and his brother wielding the bloody knife. He didn't even realize he'd been crying, as the tears melded with the sweat the rolled down his face.

It wasn't the first time and the dreams had become almost unbearable. His sleep habits had been a mess for some time and he was starting to feel its effects. He sat on the side of the bed and reached across to the nightstand and for the bottle there. Lately wine had been his only calming recourse, and he'd downed more bottles of late than he could recall. He knocked the glass off the table, and cursing, he knelt to pick it up, filling it to the rim and downing it immediately, thankful for the calming drink. He filled a second, emptying the bottle and throwing it to the side of the room. He supposed he was thankful for the cleaning service in the inn, lest he have a pile of emptied bottles to look at.

Aye, the stresses were beginning to take a toll on him, and he chuckled, downing the second glass. Between the trials that were forthcoming, his own past issues, and recent conflicts, he was tired.

But he daren't let others see this. So, he turned, attempting to sleep again, hoping he would at least look rested in the moring, even if he truly wasn't. He gripped the blankets and covered himself again, covering himself tightly and staring blankly at the wall next to him praying the dremas would go away.

Afraid to sleep, he yet drifted off soon afterward.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 05-07-2014

Where had the days gone? He wandered the streets of Ul'dah, past the people he didn't even see as his gaze was glossed over and a stupid grin plastered to face. The wine helped, as it always did, but he had tried to cut back some the past couple of days.

As the sun shone down and warmed his armor, he couldn't keep his mind from Liana. And the stupid grin grew wider, looking as though he were in love; though he knew better. He was smart enough to know the dynamics of his relationship with the beautiful Miqo'te, and it they weren't based in love. The two had shared time and would likely do so again, and he was happy to do so. He surely wouldn't be able to be with the one he really desired and while it broke his heart, he knew there was no way to alter the course he was on. So he grinned, happy to be desired, even if by someone of Liana's nature. He'd been alone for so long he didn't want the feeling of being with someone to end.  

He knew the trials were soon and hoped his new relationship wouldn't harm his chances. But he would worry about that later....he was currently thirsty and needed drink. Perhaps the Quicksand would be a good place to stop...but he reconsidered and headed to the less populated Pearl Lane instead.

And he did so smiling all the way.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 05-14-2014

He sat outside of the Quicksand in Pearl Lane, not far from where he lost his eye, sitting against the wall and drinking back the last of his bottle of wine and ensuring the last drops hit fell out into his mouth before hurling the bottle against the wall across from him. The bottle shattered, spreading glass splinters everywhere and Ruru chuckled, clearly drunk. He slumped his head back against the brick wall, closed his eyes and sighed. His sleep had been nothing short of horrific the past few weeks and he was running on fumes on a daily basis. The alcohol was the only thing providing him any sleep anymore.

He sniffled and wiped his eye and though for a moment, wondering how things had seemingly gone so wrong. He'd not seen anyone in some time and the thought, in his drunken state, made him laugh loudly, sounding a bit like a madman, if one were to judge. The only person he'd seen on occasion of late was the lovely Aya, which was why he opted to drink in the alley, for he didn't want her seeing him in this state. Everyone else....who knew where everyone else was? He certainly didn't and at this point it didn't matter. In the span of two days' time he'd been used and if one more person called him adorable in that mocking tone one more time he decided he might lose his mind. The only one who took him seriously was....

Liana. He let out an angry and frustrated growl as he thought of her name. He hadn't seen nor heard from her in some time, nor Suri. And the urge to drink more hit him in waves as he considered this. "Damn it!" He said it loudly, and with bitterness as he cursed himself for getting attached to anyone. He should have known better and scolded himself internally for not having adhered to his lessons learned in life about the lack of permanancy of anything. Not in friendship, not in family, and certainly not in matters of the heart.

He began to stand, stumbling a bit as he did so, payning no mind to the folks that passed him by, looking at him with genuine concern in their eyes. Ruru staggered a bit before getting his footing and felt the heavy armor against him, which reminded him of what he was wearing: the Paladin garb he had earned from Captain Jenlys. He looked down at himself and burst out laughing at the absurdity of it all. The idea that this broken, lonely man could be a Sultansworn was ridiculous and he slapped his chest two times, with tears beginning to stream out of his lone eye. "What's wrong with me?!" He yelled to no one in particular. He slumped a bit, a wave of dizziness washing over him. He mumbled, "what's wrong with me?" 

He suddenly wished he had his bow again. His bow, arrows, the woods, and solitude. Though he felt as if the latter was clearly well in hand. He began to walk haphazardly back to his inn room, determined to sleep, even if for just an hour. And promised himself that when he woke, he would grab his fishing pole and head to Limsa Lominsa....or anywhere....for if he was to be alone, he would do it on his own terms.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 05-15-2014

The sunlight beamed through the windows and onto Ruru's cheek, as he lay face down in bed. The sound of the ocean and birds were a welcome -

He sat up quickly, and his head rang inside as he did. The ocean? he was confused and looked around the room, not recognizing it and then remembered. He was in Limsa, at the Drowning Wench. And he knew he was heavily hungover. He stood slowly, getting his bearings and stretching some. He glanced at the empty bed and shook his head. The woman had left sometime in the night. 3000 for the full evening? With that kind of charge he half expected her to be there come morning. He had half a mind to let....what was her name again? He pulled the business card from the table and remembered. Grace. He would have to let Grace know. But then....he looked at the sunlight and thought maybe morning had long since come and gone so maybe he wouldn't bring it up.

He went to the bed and sat, putting his face into one of his hands and sighing. He had finally gotten some sleep last night for the first time in days. Perhaps it had been the combination of sex and alcohol that had finally put his body at ease, but his mind was still tired and he still felt as though he'd been beaten by a squad of Garlean thugs.

What had he done? He looked about the room for anything amiss and realized something was missing.

"The linkpearl..." He hissed. What had he done with it? A vague memory came to him of standing on the docks and.....he'd thrown it in. He sighed and shook his head, embarrassed by his own actions. He had begun to hate these moments of sobriety. They made him think and when he thought, he got depressed. How in the hell was he going to explain the Linkpearl to Kage....or Natalie? She'd surely have him doing more than laps this time.

He tried to think back to the woman he'd hired. She called herself Liana but she was clearly out of her depth in comparison to the real one. Though, he thought, to be fair, the woman likely had no idea she was being compared and critiqued. It was no matter. He'd gotten what he wanted and Grace was now wealthier because of it.

He began to gather his belongings. He needed to get back to Ul'dah. Drunk or not he needed to explain the Linkpearl and he needed to.....

He stopped and sighed.

He needed to get himself in order. He wasn't sure when things had turned so backward but he wasn't happy with recent events and he wasn't happy with himself. He needed to stop the drinking before something serious happened to himself...or others. He winced at that, thinking of potential problems that could come of that. Yes....he would need to get the drinking under control but he might need some help with that.

He glanced at the bed, whispered "Liana.." and turned to leave, ready or not for whatever might come from heading back to Ul'dah.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 05-19-2014

Some time had passed....a number of suns, and he had felt better than he had in ages. He smiled warmly as the sunlight shone through the window to the inn room and finished tidying it. He glanced about, making sure nothing was elft behind or out of place, as he didn't want his stay in the room to be burden for the staff of the Quicksand. He imagined Aya and smiled as he thought of this. She might be upset though at his plans, but he knew it was for the best and promised himself he would ensure to keep in touch with her at least. He nodded to himself at this.

He'd been sober for a week now, deciding to go cold turkey. It had been hard going for the first few days, but the cold sweats had stopped at least and he was beginning to feel better, at least not craving it the moment we woke up as had been typical lately. He was a bit saddened that while he had reached out to Natalie and Kage, he'd not heard from them. He supposed they might be busy and thus why he'd opted to try and correct the matter on his own. He'd also had decent sleep lately. The dreams seem to have been receding and he was thankful to the Twelve for that.

He glanced at the bags situated neatly near the door and began to sling them over his his shoulders, as he prepared for the long journey out of Ul'dah. As he stepped from the room he turned back and smiled. He was sure he would see it or one like it again sometime soon, but it would be under different circumstances, and so he was a bit saddened by it. He stepped out through the busy Quicksand out the side doors, heading to the Hustings Strip for a last look.

As he approached the red carpeted landing, he smiled, fondly remembering the first time he'd met Natalie here, or the laps he'd run. He laughed to himself as he recalled the concerned look on Aya's face as she saw him running in that heavy armor. He shook his head and sighed, whispering to himself "Goodbye....it was fun."  He wished he could have spoken to Kage one last time, but the option seemed unlikely as he didn't know where he was. With that, he turned and headed back to the street, listening the bustle of the crowds, seeing the women and men flirting as they often did, and headed toward the main gate outside of the Quicksand. He turned and smiled.

It was an amazing city to be certain, but he had made a mistake coming back. There were too many bad memories here and he was not capable of handling it alone. He'd tried to join the Sultansworn, but no longer felt that he would be an asset to them. He couldn't go to Limsa either....he wanted to see Sur....Liana...again, but he had not heard from her in a while either. He no longer felt at home long term in Gridania either. Thus he decided to explore north....

He had remembered his warmer gear as he had decided that perhaps some time in Coerthas would do him some good. He smiled, turned and left Ul'dah, ready for a new adventure.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Zhavi - 05-21-2014

The dry heat of Ul'dah was too much for Yllaria. It was apparent in the way she stood, in her elongated silences. She didn't complain. Wewenoki would have been surprised if she had; she was not known to be faint of heart or resolve.

Their boss, Thuvbhrat "Tabart" Sthalzoengsyn, had ordered them after one of Grace's most recent conquests. Mink had capitulated without a word, as she was wont, but Wewenoki had arranged a private meeting with the slim roegadyn. "It is necessary," he had been told, "you must follow my orders on this one, Noki, without questioning me."

Noki was worried. Tabart was becoming more and more reclusive, more and more grim. He knew that Jaded had faced one of its longest downturns since the ring had left Ul'dah, and he also knew that beneath all the bluff and bluster about Heaven's Gate, Tabart considered it his fault. He shouldered it alone; was it any wonder he was beginning to falter under the pressure?

Not like Noki could do anything about it from Ul'dah, for all their target seemed prepared to move. It was pointless to agonize over it. He knew that. But he couldn't help himself.

He worried over Yllaria instead.

"Fear not, my dear girl, I believe it is time that we apprehend sir Sasatani. Once he leaves, we will catch him outside the city, and then we may leave the desert."

Her stare was long as she considered him in silence. She ended her survey of him with a sigh, but he could see the slight shift in her expression; he'd almost made her smile. Good. True, it was likely in exasperation with him (she was, after all, in her thirties and well out of girlhood), but he would take what he could get when it came to the morale of his longtime companions.

Yes, they would catch Rurutani Sasatani on the road out of Ul'dah, when there were fewer people.

Then they would make sure he never set foot near Heaven's Gate again.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 05-22-2014

He had stepped out quietly, the desert before him familiar and alien all at once. The alien feel always came when he saw it from a distance, taking the view in all at once, with the distant hills and the horizon. Once he was in it, and walking, it would return to its normal state in his mind. He had a clear path mapped out in his mind, aiming to head toward Drybone and then through the Shroud, passing through Fallgaurd Float before finally entering Coerthas proper. Once there he figured he would remain at Dragonhead for a time, perhaps perfecting his newly acquired hobby of weaving, as it brought his mind some much needed peace.

He threw his legs over his chocobo Moriarty and lightly patted him on the side of the neck. "No worries friend....I'm sure they have warm stables for you guys up north." He smiled and then lightly kicked the bird, urging him forward at a moderate pace, not wanting to tire his friend out for they had a long ride ahead of them. He leaned his head down and looked forward to the ride ahead as it offered time to reflect....time to consider his options....and time for some much needed quiet.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Zhavi - 05-27-2014

Though the only words Yllaria had spoken to Noki all day were "call me Mink," (she having long ago stopped using her given name, though as Noki abhorred external monikers with little having to do with one's actual name, he never used it no matter how frequent her exhortations. Besides, he'd known her long enough to forgo such impersonal aliases. She was Yllaria, and that was that), they did not need chatter to know what to do. They'd worked together a long time, and except for a brief outline Noki had given her on their plan, they worked smoothly without the need to reaffirm their actions.

Noki was waiting on the road for Rurutani. He wore a broad-rimmed hat, and traditional robes made of a lighter weave than what was typical. He rode a chocobo of his own, girded and ready for battle -- no matter how light that battle was to be. No matter his own personal unease over such underhanded and --frankly -- brutish tactics, he had a job to do for Tabart. One that he knew Tabart himself struggled with.

When he called out to the sole lalafell on the road (and what a deserted, perfect stretch it was), his voice did not shake. He showed no signs of his own conflict. "Rurutani Sasatani?"

Yllaria remained out of sight, for the moment.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 05-27-2014

He saw the man on the Chocobo and took him for another adveturer traveling to and fro and was going to nod politely when he heard the man say his name. Not his nickname, Ruru, no it had been the full name....even his sadistic brother hadn't used his full name. So this man knew him and not in a friendly way. This was either business or something else that dared not consider, and yet it perplexed him. Who would want anything to do with him? He was just a man....no enemies that he was aware of, no debts....so who was this man?

As Ruru slowed Moriarty he noted that whoever the man was, he was no novice. Even his Chocobo was barded and ready for battle.

He stopped and looked about at the emptiness around him and gulped once. "Who's asking, friend?"