Hydaelyn Role-Players
The state of the Gilgamesh server - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The state of the Gilgamesh server (/showthread.php?tid=7141)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - Solano Thorne - 05-12-2014

(05-12-2014, 04:48 PM)Mippa Wrote: I think I saw you at the Berserk thing, and I'm so sorry we didn't get a chance to interact! I personally was dealing with some unfortunate OOC business but I assure you, there are opportunities abound, even if we're a bit slower-moving, the payoff is grand!

I also want to thank you for giving honest feedback about what you've seen. It's really hard to convince people that change needs to happen when we're caught up in our own contentment. It's very 'let them have cake' IMO and we need more vocal input like this. (As long as it's not fatalistic.)

That's alright, next time!  It was my first opportunity to interact with anyone, so I enjoyed observing as much as I did participating.  I hope my post didn't come off too 'canary in the coal mine', since I realize a lot of effort is put in by players such as yourself to make things happen, which is greatly appreciated! 

-----------

As for Gilgamesh being 'dead' as some posts may have insinuated, I think Chiyo actually meant to say(correct me if I'm wrong) that the RP community is becoming diffuse as more and more people lose interest.  I do not think Gilgamesh is dead or dying, but it needs some love.  Not everyone is going to stick around, and that's alright. With that being said, I think there are strategies we can employ to rectify the open world RP issue.

Something that may help is communicating some commonly-known, easily accessible hubs on the forum so that players are aware of them(The Quicksands is generally regarded as a hub on Balmung).  That means areas in the open world, not just a linkshell.  While it is neat and fun to hang out in our FC housing all the time, this doesn't lend to our visibility.  Roleplayers are a keen group, they will do research and create a character specifically for their experience.  Giving them some knowledge and useful tips will help new people stick around. 

I would also refute the notion that people leave the game because they are bored of playing.  Not everyone is bored with ARR, plenty of FCs on other servers have players with full AF2, taking on endgame content like Binding Coil every week and waiting for the next Live Letter to come out.  So sorry, blaming the game itself is not going to change the state of roleplay!

Sure, less open world roleplay is a #FirstWorldProblem.  But it is our problem. If we want to see it change, it's our responsibility to find proactive solutions.

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - Jana - 05-12-2014

After reading a few of the other posts in here, I think the problem is less that Gilgamesh's RP scene is dying so much as it's becoming clique-y and hidden away from anyone searching the open world for RP. In my mind, this is an even worse situation!

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - CrimsonMars - 05-12-2014

(05-12-2014, 07:39 PM)Solano Thorne Wrote:
(05-12-2014, 04:48 PM)Mippa Wrote: I think I saw you at the Berserk thing, and I'm so sorry we didn't get a chance to interact! I personally was dealing with some unfortunate OOC business but I assure you, there are opportunities abound, even if we're a bit slower-moving, the payoff is grand!

I also want to thank you for giving honest feedback about what you've seen. It's really hard to convince people that change needs to happen when we're caught up in our own contentment. It's very 'let them have cake' IMO and we need more vocal input like this. (As long as it's not fatalistic.)

That's alright, next time!  It was my first opportunity to interact with anyone, so I enjoyed observing as much as I did participating.  I hope my post didn't come off too 'canary in the coal mine', since I realize a lot of effort is put in by players such as yourself to make things happen, which is greatly appreciated! 

-----------

As for Gilgamesh being 'dead' as some posts may have insinuated, I think Chiyo actually meant to say(correct me if I'm wrong) that the RP community is becoming diffuse as more and more people lose interest.  I do not think Gilgamesh is dead or dying, but it needs some love.  Not everyone is going to stick around, and that's alright. With that being said, I think there are strategies we can employ to rectify the open world RP issue.

Something that may help is communicating some commonly-known, easily accessible hubs on the forum so that players are aware of them(The Quicksands is generally regarded as a hub on Balmung).  That means areas in the open world, not just a linkshell.  While it is neat and fun to hang out in our FC housing all the time, this doesn't lend to our visibility.  Roleplayers are a keen group, they will do research and create a character specifically for their experience.  Giving them some knowledge and useful tips will help new people stick around. 

I would also refute the notion that people leave the game because they are bored of playing.  Not everyone is bored with ARR, plenty of FCs on other servers have players with full AF2, taking on endgame content like Binding Coil every week and waiting for the next Live Letter to come out.  So sorry, blaming the game itself is not going to change the state of roleplay!

Sure, less open world roleplay is a #FirstWorldProblem.  But it is our problem.  If we want to see it change, it's our responsibility to find proactive solutions.

You would be right on that aspect. The event wasn't just for my zerkers, but for the community as well. That's why I didn't even require real gil transactions. Granted, the event may seem all over the place for some (then again, Chiyo isn't always professional, lol) but the whole point was to invite some rp opportunities. Which I felt some people here needed, as well as make new friends. I didn't really mean to sound pessimistic, but I feel as though I should spread awareness for my fellow Gilgas out there.

I will admit though, I haven't been faithful to some of the lore as of late (nevermind my character's name), but some of the stuff it kinda hard to follow as it isn't terribly well written at times... >.>

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - Solano Thorne - 05-13-2014

(05-12-2014, 11:37 PM)CrimsonMars Wrote: You would be right on that aspect. The event wasn't just for my zerkers, but for the community as well. That's why I didn't even require real gil transactions. Granted, the event may seem all over the place for some (then again, Chiyo isn't always professional, lol) but the whole point was to invite some rp opportunities. Which I felt some people here needed, as well as make new friends. I didn't really mean to sound pessimistic, but I feel as though I should spread awareness for my fellow Gilgas out there.

I will admit though, I haven't been faithful to some of the lore as of late (nevermind my character's name), but some of the stuff it kinda hard to follow as it isn't terribly well written at times... >.>

I think the event was a success!  The important thing is that players connect and that was definitely achieved.  I agree with your sentiments about Gilgamesh, but it's clear there is a willing crowd of people who want to get involved.

You're right about the lore, there is minimal explanation of culture and customs for Eorzea in the game itself.  Most of it has to be hunted down in the wiki or online, but it's there!  

Whenever I come across unusual named characters, I'm more compelled to find out their story.  For example, Framboise.  Was she adopted by wildwood elezen and raised in Gridania?  Who knows? That's part of the fun of roleplaying, other people add to your experience and help shape your stories.  It's always possible to evolve or adapt character concept and flesh them out as you go.

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - Shizuka - 05-13-2014

I don't have a ton to really throw into this thread right now because I'm falling asleep at my keyboard, but I just wanted to say that I don't actually feel like I have a ton of trouble finding open world RP. While we DO RP a lot in the Goblet lately, near/in our (new!) FC house, our group has always done a good bit of open world, out of tavern RP. Most of our recruitment has been done this way, from people just walking up on our RP and joining in. While we did notice some of the largest RP FCs definitely recruit...ah....aggressively, once we agreed that -numbers- weren't really important in the long run, we didn't feel so bad about just picking people up as we RP'd with them as compared to actively seeking people out and recruiting them in.

I've heard a lot of both good and bad about both servers. Personally, I really like Gilgamesh. While some of the larger groups could maybe be more open about their RP, I feel like many people have gone to great lengths to draw in some of the smaller FCs for plotlines. Almost everyone I've met on this server (including the non-RPers) have been really nice and respectful. I absolutely don't regret rolling here, and I don't feel like the RP community here is "dying". I try to keep in mind that there's always an ebb and flow when it comes to activity. We might just be in an ebb stage as the summer starts to come in and people adjust from college to working, or going home, or whatever thing is changing for them.

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - Devereau - 05-13-2014

(05-12-2014, 07:12 PM)Desmond Aryll Wrote: In short, it doesn't matter whether you live in a little town or a megacity. What matters are the deep, personal connections you make with others and its the same for your characters. Gilgamesh is what those of us who play there make it, separate from any comparisons to Balmung.
I agree muchly. Also, I miss you, hngh.

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - No Longer Exists - 05-13-2014

Hey Guys!

I want you all to know that I'm loving the feedback here. Thank you for sounding off and giving some good insight, as well as perspective. It's important that we do that from time to time, it keeps the lines of communication open. There's been some talk around the proverbial water cooler of a second (and less odd) Free Company Congregation. Now, nothing is set in stone yet but the idea WAS brought up and bandied about. If you're interested in that sort of thing, having the RP FCs meet up IC and get together for awhile casually then have a little OOC meeting to exchange ideas, hopes, and aspirations, please say so! 

Also, there are a LOT of fresh concepts for roleplaying in the works for Gilgamesh server. I, myself, have my hands full with preparations of myriad projects (like the real gil adventurer jobs) and as soon as they're ready (and I'm prepared to pay Smile ), these shall launch. With life though, comes distractions and some are unavoidable, not to mention our real lives, so please bear with all of us who either individually or as a group are working hard in our off time to bring some really fun activities to the RP table. 

Cheers!

-Black Hat

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - Kyrrae L'minia - 05-13-2014

(05-12-2014, 08:44 PM)Jana Wrote: After reading a few of the other posts in here, I think the problem is less that Gilgamesh's RP scene is dying so much as it's becoming clique-y and hidden away from anyone searching the open world for RP.

Hey guys! I would say that I would have to contest the above observation. I wouldn't say that RP on Gilgamesh is clique=y and hidden, it's just disconnected and not broadcast IC'ly, as well as OOC to a point. I myself have known about open rp going on over at the Goblet, but haven't had a RP reason to go check it out as I've only heard OOC. And trust me, I'm dying to. A friend is going to give me a RP reason to know about it and then I'll join in. But it doesn't seem too much different than what I've heard about breaking into RP in Balmung, in that you need to have a RP reason to be involved in quite a few RP storylines. The main difference being that we don't have as much open Tavern RP, so it's harder to get IC knowledge of them.

All in all, it seems to me like RP isn't dead on Gilgamesh by any means, just disjointed, and fractured in some ways. I say, let us try to get involved in each other's events as much as in IC'ly sensible, and create a more complete atmosphere. And that includes more open world RP for those that enjoy it. Personally, I always RP in the open world. I almost never RP in a linkshell outside of when I am listening and responding to a LS IC anyway. That's just me, it breaks the immersion for me to RP in a LS any other way.

So in short, in my little opinion, to the people who come to Gilgamesh looking for Roleplay, it's here! Just give us a heads-up in the Gilgamesh section, and check out the Linkshell Hall for FC's to talk with, not even necessarily join. A lot of us have websites, and you can always ask questions there, or here on RPC on where/how to get involved with RP on the Wild Wide World of Gilgamesh. Smile

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - Shizuka - 05-13-2014

(05-13-2014, 11:43 AM)Kyrrae L Wrote: Hey guys! I would say that I would have to contest the above observation. I wouldn't say that RP on Gilgamesh is clique=y and hidden, it's just disconnected and not broadcast IC'ly, as well as OOC to a point. I myself have known about open rp going on over at the Goblet, but haven't had a RP reason to go check it out as I've only heard OOC. And trust me, I'm dying to. A friend is going to give me a RP reason to know about it and then I'll join in. But it doesn't seem too much different than what I've heard about breaking into RP in Balmung, in that you need to have a RP reason to be involved in quite a few RP storylines. The main difference being that we don't have as much open Tavern RP, so it's harder to get IC knowledge of them.

I'd agree with this. We've run into a few events we'd LIKE to join in with but couldn't figure out how we'd know about ICly. It's one thing when it's posted up on a calendar. Clearly we can see that because it's probably posted on some sort of announcement board in cities or neighborhoods or something. But impromptu events announced in an OOC linkshell are harder for me. I know some of my FCmates feel the same way.

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - Saefinn - 05-13-2014

To add on some previous points, I think the housing has kind of benefited RP a bit on the server, Wayward Star from the beginning was very internally focused because we got so caught up in our own arcs and it took more effort to get involved with other groups. We did encounter RP in places like Limsa, but never fully embraced it (I'm not much of a tavern person).

But since we've got our housing (heck, even before we got it) we found having an RP dedicated location just opened up more inter-FC opportunities. I have been stopped by fellow RPers - even strangers and taken up RP. I think this is the kind of thing people are perhaps perceiving Gilgamesh not having enough of. Ward 3 of The Goblet seems to be growing more and more with RPers and activity. It would be nice to see it in more wards.

I do think one of the things puts people off with RP is dealing with non-RPers, especially trolls. It has been something I've had go in my head, but I remember that I am shameless and don't care what people think, hence I enjoy being such a weirdo IRL, so why should the internet be any different? I am well equipped when it comes to trolls, most of the time I know how to frustrate them and one of the funniest things in the world is watching a troll try too hard. That said, the Gilgamesh community has been pretty tolerant of RP - it doesn't get in their way and they don't get in ours, except may be a select minority, but that was more prevalent in the early days.

But I think it can potentially discourage more open world stuff, except when there's an event and we're in bulk. But now, we have an RP neighbourhood, I remember people thinking housing would make groups more exclusive and RP to their own domains, but it's nice to see that it encourages interaction.

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - CrimsonMars - 05-14-2014

I just wanna thank everyone for the constructive and mature post so far, even the Bulmung guys. Not that I was even afraid of you guys flaming or anything. Big Grin This may in fact, help the Gilgamesh community become a more lively and overall, better environment.

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - Zveld - 05-14-2014

Could always make a fresh start on Diabolos. Five of us starting a noob, casual RP FC.

If interested: http://ffxivrealm.com/threads/anyone-wanna-start-an-rp-free-company.10608/

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - Ridegmuve - 05-14-2014

Hmmm... I would say yeah overall RP has been dwindling in numbers, but that shouldn't discourage anyone from RPing and the like. It takes a bit of looking but if you search hard enough you can find good quality RP.

In my personal experience, I always managed to find some of all levels. People who join the server can utilize many ways of doing so. Joining the many different FC's linkshells are a good start, even if you don't want to join the FC they advertise many great events there open or otherwise. As well as many have great in FC arcs themselves. The RPC as well is a good resource and heck putting yourself up for the many auctions and the like can get you some great RP partners and some great arcs in the works. Taverns used to be a great way of finding RP but because of the talking quests and the FC housing that kinda got pushed aside. Many RPers have "Open to walk up RP" in their search tag, that I haven't seen used much personally, but I think it would be great if more people would use it. I also saw a thread here that maybe use the party finder for random RP shenanigans, which I thought was pretty cool! 

On the negative side, what I have found (especially with tavern RP) is that it never goes beyond introductions and small talk then and there.

I usually have Iliette stationed at either at Arcanum's FC house, or at Old Gridania near Mikh Khet and I wish more people would just walk up to me and say hi in character XD

I agree with all the people from Gilgamesh that have commented. The server while it does have fewer numbers RPing (either because they left, or don't like asking for it because they feel they are bothering the person etc), but it is not dying and worth a look. It maybe a bit of a search, but people are open for it and we have many tools at our side so I say utilize them!

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - Kyonae - 05-14-2014

Hello! Smile

I just wanted to pop in and put in my voice, but forgive me if it doesn't seem relevant.  You see, I am returning to the game since my classes are ending this week (yay!) , and I'm on entry subscription for now so I only have one character per server.  I have a character on Balmung, but I've fallen out of love with her and it's been so long since I played her, I find it hard to pick her back up because I'm not sure where I left off (I stopped playing once my free 30 days ran out and school got hectic).  Long story short, tomorrow or Friday once I've wrapped up my final projects, I'm planning to create a character on Gilgamesh so I can learn everything over again.  

I'm a newbie to the game, but not to roleplay, and for me that aspect is very important--so I came looking here for some insight on what Gilgamesh is like in compare to Balmung, and found this thread.  And I have to say, I'm really encouraged--no matter the state of the server, I can see that there are a handful of people here who really care about the stories they are creating and the connections they are making with people in-game.  And well, that's just ducky, and that's all I need to hear. Smile

So if Gilgamesh needs some love, I will help give it some!  *raises hand*  I'm very excited to start playing again now. I hope to see you all in game sometime soon!

RE: The state of the Gilgamesh server - Kyrrae L'minia - 05-14-2014

Look forward to seeing you(r character) around! Smile