Hydaelyn Role-Players
Bleed-through - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Bleed-through (/showthread.php?tid=7557)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Bleed-through - Coatleque - 07-03-2014

Well... when my head's in the clouds I deflect with humor.

I think Warren just needs to learn some good pickup lines.

RE: Bleed-through - Warren Castille - 07-03-2014

Anything that refers to "the D" makes me laugh. I am the most mature.

Edit: Why, Lady Crofte, are you implying that Warren isn't equipped to battle for someone's heart without cavalry? No wonder people whisper behind our backs.

RE: Bleed-through - Jancis - 07-03-2014

Aww his oblivious and polite manner is what makes Warren such a catch!

Seriously though I do care a lot about my characters as well. I love them terribly and sometimes it is difficult to reign in and focus on how their suffering and loss is really a joy at times.

I do find some of my own frustration bleeding across the screen time to time and then, bam, Jancis is acting uncharacteristically. I even wrote that once in the role play that she acted differently and lashed out at someone because I was beyond knowing what the hell else to do. Lashed out with water. Knocked the guy on his ass. Yes, Alveo. Laugh

Now she role plays it with serious guilt if it's ever brought up.

The wiki helps and I have my own notepad of "if this; then that" to help me kind of stay in tune. Still sometimes I have to step back and "un-attach" myself from the character. It's like a good movie; just get drawn into it all.

Immersion! Magic! Aaahhh!

RE: Bleed-through - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-03-2014

(07-03-2014, 09:16 AM)ExKage Wrote: I'm half expecting that as soon as I pop in game and am IC for Kage...some friends and acquaintances are going to throw a wonderful wrench into Kage's  plans and knock him out.

But that did happen. >_> <_< >_>

On-topic, when I craft a character's story, there are certain...aspects of myself I'll use for them. That isn't to say the characters thought process or decisions would be ones I'd do as a person, but there is a certain rationality that I developer for the characters. It's fun to get into the mindset of another person, and play out how the life choices of the character influence decisions. It's also why I have to stop and think to get IC every now and then. I'll find myself saying "how would ____ react in this situation" a lot.

RE: Bleed-through - Oscare - 07-03-2014

I have to agree with the majority, I'm always thinking about my character's stories and interactions... and my mind wonders to alternatives in different kinds.

Such as, "what if Oscare said 'this' instead of 'that'," or "if he didn't do that, would 'X' be in a lot more trouble? Or would they be in a better situation?". These are the types of things I like to wonder about that because they can make for great scenes or writes or whatever!

My mind also likes to think of "What if World of Warcraft-Oscare was part of that scenes?", since you know, FFXIV-Oscare is like my nine-millionth incarnation of him. Those two are vastly different in personality and resources, which feeds my wanna-b ~~IMAGINATIVE~~ mind.

Simply put, my plots and interactions are always in the back of my mind. xP Especially with all you super wonderful RPers, you guys are plague, I tell you.

(07-03-2014, 11:04 AM)Oscare Wrote: My mind also likes to think of "What if World of Warcraft-Oscare was part of that scenes?", since you know, FFXIV-Oscare is like my nine-millionth incarnation of him. Those two are vastly different in personality and resources, which feeds my wanna-b ~~IMAGINATIVE~~ mind.

Oh Gods I do that all the time! Blending characters is tough.

My WoW character would be so furious at the nonsense Jancis puts up with and the weakness of so many people around her and would refuse to cry. I've spent years with her and so getting out of her mindset is tough; it's muscle memory for character reactions and they're all wrong! Poor Jancis!

I think especially starting out in role play it helps to have a character that is alike to you, or reflects the "rose-hued glasses" of yourself or whatever you want to aspire to be more like. It's easier and more fulfilling at points. Tougher role players who like the challenge go out of their comfort zone and try something off the wall. I could never get the hang of that.

RE: Bleed-through - Val - 07-03-2014

(07-03-2014, 10:12 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(07-03-2014, 10:06 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(07-03-2014, 10:01 AM)Coatleque Wrote:
(07-03-2014, 09:50 AM)Eva Wrote: ...these types often don't fit in with us because they can be perceived as being somewhat Mary Sue.

I play Crofte as the type of person I wish I was in life, I think.  At the same time, the above statement is what I worry about most.  Someone smack me if I become that.

Echoing that. This is actually the like... fiftieth version of a "Warren Castille" I've ever played and the line blurs a bit between how he'd react and how I'd react. Comes with the territory, I think.

Also want to clarify that I'm not like, angsting out at my computer or work or anything. Just been spending a lopsided amount of billable hours with my attention on fiction.
Sounds like you're engaged in your plot more than anything else! It's good as long as the play continues to be fun!

I have to agree with what Berrod said! I think it's okay to be caught up in the plot or engaged in such as manner as long as you're enjoying yourself, but I can certainly see how one could worry or become engaged.

I've based Val's personality off of multiple things. He has my sarcasm and wit, a friend's boldness, another friend's brashness, and thrown in with some highly illogical fears, needs, and a nice dash of ignorance. This can throw him into some pretty hilarious situations and Val can be downright offensive. I often worry that people will either be annoyed by the character because of this (because he's meant to be humorous more than anything), or take his thoughts/views/whatever and assume they're mine.

Early on, I would apologize to people before or after we RPed on Val's behalf so that they wouldn't continue to think this. Now I just sort of do the RP and hope people enjoy the character and try not to worry about it =)

(07-03-2014, 11:41 AM)Val Wrote: Early on, I would apologize to people before or after we RPed on Val's behalf so that they wouldn't continue to think this. Now I just sort of do the RP and hope people enjoy the character and try not to worry about it =)

I've had to apologize after several RPs because of things going downright catastrophically and the other party being distraught.

Don't break hearts, folks. Makes you feel like an asshole regardless of the context.

RE: Bleed-through - Val - 07-03-2014

(07-03-2014, 11:53 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(07-03-2014, 11:41 AM)Val Wrote: Early on, I would apologize to people before or after we RPed on Val's behalf so that they wouldn't continue to think this. Now I just sort of do the RP and hope people enjoy the character and try not to worry about it =)

I've had to apologize after several RPs because of things going downright catastrophically and the other party being distraught.

Don't break hearts, folks. Makes you feel like an asshole regardless of the context.

I certainly try not to! Val will often go on rants in public about how much he dislikes something and often times that might be offensive for some. But.. it's the character, and I'll openly admit that he's a prick. It's what brings a certain amount of flavor to him. None of my other characters are nearly quite that offensive and, regardless, I do tend to get an ample amount of people telling me they enjoy the character =)

Seconded!

Beyond the quick accent and slang the retorts and his priorities are a hoot!

I think that helps more with the stress is that you just adore the character. It's like a fun game of chess sometimes.

RE: Bleed-through - Oscare - 07-03-2014

Thirded.
I will be the first to admit that Oscare is, quite simply, a douchebag. And that's how I intend to play him, because I like it that way. I get a lot of people saying "Wow, you don't see so many people just play outright mean characters like that", and it brings a smile to my face. It's okay to act in-character, it brings out all your planning you made for them.

Everyone is different. <3 And that's how we should play. Not everyone can be "the nice girl/guy next door".
I probably completely missed the point and I'm just making stuff up. >_<

RE: Bleed-through - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-03-2014

(07-03-2014, 12:46 PM)Oscare Wrote: Thirded.
I will be the first to admit that Oscare is, quite simply, a douchebag. And that's how I intend to play him, because I like it that way. I get a lot of people saying "Wow, you don't see so many people just play outright mean characters like that", and it brings a smile to my face. It's okay to act in-character, it brings out all your planning you made for them.

Everyone is different. <3 And that's how we should play. Not everyone can be "the nice girl/guy next door".
I probably completely missed the point and I'm just making stuff up. >_<

I completely agree, although in my case it was a little more insane than mean. It's fun to plot away and see how not only your character grows, but the other characters involved. A few of the people I know are familiar with an OOC joke of *plays the "terrible friend" card*

RE: Bleed-through - Askier - 07-03-2014

Hey Warren, I completely understand the feeling.  I normally am able to keep myself relatively objective when rping Askier(well as object as one can be while rping a part of you lol), but during the recent rp event with Roen and Itar, I got gut punched.

Basically, Itar said he was going to torture Askier IC.  At first I had no problem with it, once I established the rules of how far he could go.  but then Itar sent me an email describing what exactly was happening to Askier aboard the boat in that torture chamber and I'll admit, I just stared at the e-mail and had to re-read it.  I'll admit I was kinda numb.  It hadn't -really- hit how much I had agreed to put Askier through -until- that moment and I couldn't bring myself to reply to Itar's post IC cause how brutally damaged Askier was and i didn't want to read anymore.  I felt powerless, honestly, too, since Askier had no way to stop Itar at this point. 

Even now, my rping while on Askier has been, well, subdued.  Osric, Kanaria, or Kahn'a can tell you Askier is certainly more humble and while most of that is IC reasoning, part of -me- feels, well bad for having a character I love to rp end up so badly mangled and mentally broken and I prefer to keep him out of harms way currently, least for a bit.....knowing Askier, I give him a week before he does something rash, sorry Osric =p.....lol.

Just wanted to let you know, you aren't alone when it comes to characters affecting the roleplayer.

We're a strange sort of cruel gods. We love these shards of ourselves, yet we continue to fill their worlds with heartache and misery and opposition. I think we just want to see them succeed, see them overcome, see them earn their rewards and happiness.

More weight.

RE: Bleed-through - Melkire - 07-03-2014

"More weight" is right. There's little to no emotional impact come journey's end if there hasn't been a struggle.

The more a character suffers, the more cathartic their victory.