Hydaelyn Role-Players
Need help with characters? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Need help with characters? (/showthread.php?tid=8521)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Need help with characters? - Aya - 10-06-2014

(10-06-2014, 12:07 PM)Nako Wrote:
(10-06-2014, 11:53 AM)Aya Wrote:
(10-06-2014, 10:51 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: My personal reasoning for the Curtana overflow is simply that, since the weapon is basically an artifact of wide repute, smiths began forging weapons in a similar manner. It's the only sword in the game of that size and width, and there's plenty of reason for those to be desirable qualities in a sword. I try to think of them less as knock-offs and more of homage type weapons.
I really don't understand the hangup over this, in general.  There are so few weapon models in this game, and that just happens to be one of the most popular.  Although it is "Curtana" I don't really think that even has to be referenced in dealing with the player version.  Its just a neat looking sword and shield that smiths make.  Why bother calling it a replica?

Maybe I'm just not getting something.. but I guess I think we need a little more suspension of disbelief here, or we're going to have to start coming up with a good explanation why there are only a couple dozen different sets of clothes in the world.
It's a replica because there is lore behind /that/ particular model, as with Zanetsuken.
My entire point is that if you take the model literally, and thus have to hand wave it away lore-wise, then we are unable to suspend disbelief on the nature of items in the game itself.  If we take that model literally, then there are only a handful of clothing designs in the entire world. 

Models are representative, not definitive. Well ~ I think they should be, anyway! ^_^

RE: Need help with characters? - Verad - 10-06-2014

(10-06-2014, 11:58 AM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(10-06-2014, 11:53 AM)Aya Wrote: ...we're going to have to start coming up with a good explanation why there are only a couple dozen different sets of clothes in the world.

If Otto has his way, we'll all just be wearing striped pants before long.

It will be an Ottocracy.

RE: Need help with characters? - Shizuka - 10-06-2014

(10-06-2014, 12:34 PM)Aya Wrote:
(10-06-2014, 10:51 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: My personal reasoning for the Curtana overflow is simply that, since the weapon is basically an artifact of wide repute, smiths began forging weapons in a similar manner. It's the only sword in the game of that size and width, and there's plenty of reason for those to be desirable qualities in a sword. I try to think of them less as knock-offs and more of homage type weapons.
I really don't understand the hangup over this, in general.  There are so few weapon models in this game, and that just happens to be one of the most popular.  Although it is "Curtana" I don't really think that even has to be referenced in dealing with the player version.  Its just a neat looking sword and shield that smiths make.  Why bother calling it a replica?

Maybe I'm just not getting something.. but I guess I think we need a little more suspension of disbelief here, or we're going to have to start coming up with a good explanation why there are only a couple dozen different sets of clothes in the world.
It's a replica because there is lore behind /that/ particular model, as with Zanetsuken.
My entire point is that if you take the model literally, and thus have to hand wave it away lore-wise, then we are unable to suspend disbelief on the nature of items in the game itself.  If we take that model literally, then there are only a handful of clothing designs in the entire world. 

Models are representative, not definitive.  Well ~ I think they should be, anyway! ^_^

I've personally seen at least one person who claimed they had THE <insert relic weapon name here>. Not something that looked similar, not a homage or a knock off, not a replica....THE ORIGINAL. That's when I personally handwave it as "lol someone was fooled by a really good reproduction!" Otherwise I don't really bring specifics of weapon names and the like into RP.

RE: Need help with characters? - Aduu Avagnar - 10-06-2014

(10-06-2014, 12:34 PM)Aya Wrote:

Models are representative, not definitive.  Well ~ I think they should be, anyway! ^_^
In Real Life there were very few different styles of armour, and most weapons shared the same look, so in fact it makes sense for there to be very few clothing designs, well weapon and armour. As for clothing, beyond the materials that it was made out of, most clothing also shared the same basic patterns, so again, it makes sense.

RE: Need help with characters? - Val - 10-06-2014

"His training has made him nimble and allows him to move more quickly no matter how heavily armored he may be, allowing him to fight on par with lightly or unarmored opponents."

I would say, at least where RP combat is concerned, that you simply have Niklas in light armor, himself. Having a heavily armored opponent that can move as quickly/unhindered as people with no armor is a bit OP and breaks the much-needed balance between speedy, lithe fighters and slow, bulky fighters. There needs to be some sort of balancing point as to the armor he wears VS his speed.

This is why Val wears little to no armor, most times. He's a speed fighter and not built to wear anything heavier than leathers or VERY light mail, and even then he prefers to only cover necessary spots such as his chest/forearms/whatever. It helps keep his ease of movement and gives him at least some basic protection against weapons should he manage to be caught by one.

RE: Need help with characters? - OttoVann - 10-06-2014

You need striped pants m8

RE: Need help with characters? - Aya - 10-06-2014

(10-06-2014, 09:01 PM)Nako Wrote: In Real Life there were very few different styles of armour, and most weapons shared the same look, so in fact it makes sense for there to be very few clothing designs, well weapon and armour. As for clothing, beyond the materials that it was made out of, most clothing also shared the same basic patterns, so again, it makes sense.
*blinks*  What?

RE: Need help with characters? - Aldotsk - 10-06-2014

(10-06-2014, 09:36 PM)Aya Wrote:
(10-06-2014, 09:01 PM)Nako Wrote: In Real Life there were very few different styles of armour, and most weapons shared the same look, so in fact it makes sense for there to be very few clothing designs, well weapon and armour. As for clothing, beyond the materials that it was made out of, most clothing also shared the same basic patterns, so again, it makes sense.
*blinks*  What?

In other words, cosplay.

RE: Need help with characters? - Aduu Avagnar - 10-06-2014

Unless you are looking at a Worldwide scale, most armour at any given period was very similar, there is a reason that Milanese, and Gothic styles of armour are so well known, it is because for those periods of time, they were the most common in the european combat arenas.
Most swords again, were of a similar design, until you start looking at the materials it was made out of, or the method of construction, maybe a slight change on a crossguard, or design on a pommel. Though again, when you look on a more worldwide scale there will be more available.

However, given we are currently looking at a single continent, then it makes sense.

RE: Need help with characters? - SM Nick - 10-31-2014

Bumping this because I need help once again. I am starting to see that Rena is now OP. I wish to change that and I want to change her into a Doman Hyur Midlander now. Any help would be nice on this!

RE: Need help with characters? - Warren Castille - 10-31-2014

I just wanna go on the record and say that it's great that you're open to criticism on these sorts of things.

Regarding Rena, I think your homage to Monkey King is a bit... turned up. While the prehensile tail is a bit much depending on the user you ask (feline tails are far from prehensile), the depowering when grabbed and dampening-circlet push lore by the wayside. Super Modes are generally difficult to work in when most of your compatriots are playing normal mortals, and this line in particular raises my eyebrow:

Quote:Without her circlet on, Rena's power and agility increases fivefold, making her almost like a demi-Primal, but she is not overpowered, as it is still possible for her to be stopped by people like Nik, who makes sure to put a new circlet on her to calm her down.

Define "people like Nik?" If Niklas is the pinnacle of human potential, then you run into the problem of her not being OP by Warrior of Light standards, which still means she would crush normal fighters by the bucketloads.

Regarding Doma, tangling that sort of backstory with an Ala Mhigan would take some tricky dancing. Also, writing this makes me realize you did say "hyur" when you were rerolling her.

This sort of thing got addressed a lot in the Retconning thread. Rena's already established as having been around, and she's interacted a bit with people (didn't she fight at Otto's thing recently?). Suddenly retooling her into an entirely different character will be jarring for them, especially because there's a race change on top of a background change on top of a character shift. You need to be very careful when transplanting someone like this, because a lot of folks who know her might just not get it.

My general advice is stay away from innate hidden powers. Let the character speak for the character, not the templates and super moves. As always, take everything I suggest with a grain (or a shaker) of salt; My advice hardly represents the majority opinion here.

(10-31-2014, 01:23 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I just wanna go on the record and say that it's great that you're open to criticism on these sorts of things.

Regarding Rena, I think your homage to Monkey King is a bit... turned up. While the prehensile tail is a bit much depending on the user you ask (feline tails are far from prehensile), the depowering when grabbed and dampening-circlet push lore by the wayside. Super Modes are generally difficult to work in when most of your compatriots are playing normal mortals, and this line in particular raises my eyebrow:

Quote:Without her circlet on, Rena's power and agility increases fivefold, making her almost like a demi-Primal, but she is not overpowered, as it is still possible for her to be stopped by people like Nik, who makes sure to put a new circlet on her to calm her down.

Define "people like Nik?" If Niklas is the pinnacle of human potential, then you run into the problem of her not being OP by Warrior of Light standards, which still means she would crush normal fighters by the bucketloads.

Regarding Doma, tangling that sort of backstory with an Ala Mhigan would take some tricky dancing. Also, writing this makes me realize you did say "hyur" when you were rerolling her.

This sort of thing got addressed a lot in the Retconning thread. Rena's already established as having been around, and she's interacted a bit with people (didn't she fight at Otto's thing recently?). Suddenly retooling her into an entirely different character will be jarring for them, especially because there's a race change on top of a background change on top of a character shift. You need to be very careful when transplanting someone like this, because a lot of folks who know her might just not get it.

My general advice is stay away from innate hidden powers. Let the character speak for the character, not the templates and super moves. As always, take everything I suggest with a grain (or a shaker) of salt; My advice hardly represents the majority opinion here.

Thanks for the advice. As for becoming Hyur, I'm thinking of putting in that she finds a potion somewhere, drinks it, and suddenly becomes Hyur, ala Kage. But you're right I gotta be careful. This is almost like doing surgery: one mess-up, and I'm done for. Sometimes I can't handle the pressure like this.

(10-31-2014, 01:29 PM)Niklas Gran Wrote: Thanks for the advice. As for becoming Hyur, I'm thinking of putting in that she finds a potion somewhere, drinks it, and suddenly becomes Hyur, ala Kage. But you're right I gotta be careful. This is almost like doing surgery: one mess-up, and I'm done for. Sometimes I can't handle the pressure like this.

Pshaw, roleplay isn't so serious that you'd be in any real trouble. Just takes some getting used to when someone is suddenly someone else. Fantasia's been used enough and if you wanted to go that route, not many folks would have room to argue.

If you're wanting her to have been Doman, though, that's still tricky. You could have her as having been secreted away as a baby and her heritage drawing back to there, but Domans have only extremely recently arrived on Eorzean soil so trying to explain her as having traveled years ago is a bit questionable. It's not unreasonable to have her being raised in Ala Mhigo but unaware of the place of her birth, but that also won't really make her "doman" in the traditional sense of the word.

Your options seem to be either gently nudging the history (Oops! She was a secret Doman baby the whole time!) and letting it alter very little of your story or going whole-hog and smashing it to pieces (Rena as we knew her is retconned entirely, New Rena is a wholely different person who now comes from Doma).

(10-31-2014, 01:37 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(10-31-2014, 01:29 PM)Niklas Gran Wrote: Thanks for the advice. As for becoming Hyur, I'm thinking of putting in that she finds a potion somewhere, drinks it, and suddenly becomes Hyur, ala Kage. But you're right I gotta be careful. This is almost like doing surgery: one mess-up, and I'm done for. Sometimes I can't handle the pressure like this.

Pshaw, roleplay isn't so serious that you'd be in any real trouble. Just takes some getting used to when someone is suddenly someone else. Fantasia's been used enough and if you wanted to go that route, not many folks would have room to argue.

If you're wanting her to have been Doman, though, that's still tricky. You could have her as having been secreted away as a baby and her heritage drawing back to there, but Domans have only extremely recently arrived on Eorzean soil so trying to explain her as having traveled years ago is a bit questionable. It's not unreasonable to have her being raised in Ala Mhigo but unaware of the place of her birth, but that also won't really make her "doman" in the traditional sense of the word.

Your options seem to be either gently nudging the history (Oops! She was a secret Doman baby the whole time!) and letting it alter very little of your story or going whole-hog and smashing it to pieces (Rena as we knew her is retconned entirely, New Rena is a wholely different person who now comes from Doma).

Oh wow. I would rather do the first option. I did hint that she came from the Far East, but she did not remember her origin in the years gone by. (Read Rena's wiki for the story I have) Maybe there are some things I should change about her backstory, like MINOR details, not like retconning everything.

Quote:Rena is a unique Miqo'te from Doma in the Far East, born there with no parents, and then found a family in the Opo tribe who found her alone. She was raised there until she was 12, where she went berserk and wiped out most of the Opo tribe with her excruciating aether. The Nunh of the tribe decided to seal her away in a mountain in Coerthas for years where she stayed there for 8 years until she was saved by a 20-year old Niklas, who, unlike today, was a hardass back then.

I'd need to flag down Sounsyy for this, but I'm fairly certain that Doma doesn't have traditional tribes like Eorzea does. Their names certainly don't seem to reflect it, and I'd again make mention that Chosen One storylines are be rattling for those you interact with.