Hydaelyn Role-Players
First things for your place - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: First things for your place (/showthread.php?tid=8623)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: First things for your place - QueenFrejyalen - 10-13-2014

When I first moved out with my boyfriend (now fiance), my parents bought us a lot of cheap stuff to help us get by.  I have always been lucky to have pretty thoughtful parents (usually, ahaha).

But the first thing we bought was.......y'know I'm really not sure.  After what they gave us, other than food, we didn't buy much because we were both working shit minimum wage jobs.  The first thing we bought was probably a couch, now that I think on it.  A couch that no longer exists haha.

We even went our first two (or three?) years without internet, much to my disdain at first but gradually I got used to it.

RE: First things for your place - C'kayah Polaali - 10-13-2014

I first moved away into a college dorm, so many of the essentials either were provided or simply came with it. IIRC the first things I bought for it were fucking textbooks.

If I was starting completely over today, though, the first things I'd buy would be a nice chef's knife, a few good pots and pans, and some silicon spatulas. I'll eat out of the pan with a spatula, but I'm going to have my kitchen gear to cook with!

RE: First things for your place - TheLastCandle - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 01:00 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: It's been a while since I first moved out, but I believe my first purchase was some cheap cookware. Smile

When I first moved into my current house, the first purchase was a rug for the entry room. It really brings the whole room together. Big Grin

[Image: giphy.gif]

Mine was my couch.

Which I still love. Photo from when I first got it:

[Image: 301517_2381168491598_1507190_n.jpg?oh=9f...90a36f94b2]

RE: First things for your place - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-13-2014

When I moved out, I had a bed, some basic pots and pans, silverware, etc, that my family was getting rid of. None of them were particularly good though.

First thing I bought when I moved in to my current apartment (the one I count as moving out from my parents' home) was a big stockpot, and nice frying pan. Cooked a meal on the shitty electric stove the very first day.

Subsequent purchases have led others  to believe I have spending problems. Those include: enough cups to not be able to fit them all if they're all clean, enough plates for the same, about 15 sets of silverware, a knife set that's....lackluster, unlimited tupperware, mixing bowls, and at least 20 pairs of chopsticks. That was followed by a tv, ps3, and sound system as "secondary". ...I hate cleaning it, but I love my kitchen. >_>

RE: First things for your place - Jancis - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 10:02 AM)Coatleque Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 01:12 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: A backpack of clothes and my lifesavings. Running away at 16 was awesome.

I envy you.  I would have done this, but I had no life savings :/

What did we get?  Hmm... Like most others, cooking utensils, dishes, silver (see: stainless steel) ware, and bedding.

Running away sounds awfully familiar to me.

One big thing was a bed, because it costs a lot and that was a big 'first' purchase.

Ended up getting an airbed from Bed Bath and Beyond that was queen-sized and sat at regular height. It got a small leak on one side so it had countless layers of glue on the seam to keep it from deflating.

Slept on that for many years as life built up. Gods I think it's still in the closet... need to throw that away.

RE: First things for your place - Flickering Ember - 10-13-2014

A matching shower curtain for the bathroom.

RE: First things for your place - Erik Mynhier - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 01:12 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: A backpack of clothes and my lifesavings. Running away at 16 was awesome.

I envy you. I would have done this, but I had no life savings :/

What did we get? Hmm... Like most others, cooking utensils, dishes, silver (see: stainless steel) ware, and bedding.

It was only like $400. I was basically a sexy dutch hobo, hitchhiking down the east coast of Florida. I was lucky I didn't die, but it was an adventure though. Ended at eighteen when I walked into a recruitment office though. I'm just glad I had the where-with-all to accelerate and graduate high school early before I said "F*** IT!" and left.

RE: First things for your place - Antain - 10-13-2014

I...have no such experience yet. I moved from my parent's at eighteen to live with my grandmother. When she passed, I stayed in her house for another year before moving back in with the parents. Everything being bought for my "new" place my parents and I are building is taken from my inheritance for taking care of my grandmother for ten years.

Though...I suppose my first big purchase when moving into my grandmother's was my laptop so I could play vidja gaimz XD

RE: First things for your place - Berrod Armstrong - 10-13-2014

A rack of dumbells,  a rack of barbells, a bench, and a full length mirror. I had to choose between a bar with weights and eating for the next month so I ended up doing the latter (I got them the following month).

It's funny, I didn't even get couches or curtains at first. Fortunately where I lived was remote enough for it not to matter.

RE: First things for your place - Melkire - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 10:35 AM)C Wrote: I first moved away into a college dorm, so many of the essentials either were provided or simply came with it. IIRC the first things I bought for it were fucking textbooks.

More or less this, in my case.

The first thing I bought for my first apartment...? Furniture. I grabbed my roommate and dragged him along to IKEA with me. We needed a dining room table and at least four chairs.

The first thing I bought for myself for the apartment? A gods-damned bookcase. The likes of Jordan, King, Cook, Butcher, and Stover needed somewhere for me to rest their works on!

RE: First things for your place - Parvacake - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 10:35 AM)C Wrote: I first moved away into a college dorm, so many of the essentials either were provided or simply came with it. IIRC the first things I bought for it were fucking textbooks.

If I was counting my first dorm, I can't remember though it'd either be textbooks (I was a med student major so it was all multivolumes) or this weird black and green rug from target.

My first apartment I had when I got married it was a blue loveseat lol

And now, living on my own, it's these pots and pans because after living the last two months off frozen goods I reeeeaaaallllyyyyy just want a bowl of spaghetti

I envy you.  I would have done this, but I had no life savings :/

What did we get?  Hmm... Like most others, cooking utensils, dishes, silver (see: stainless steel) ware, and bedding.

It was only like $400. I was basically a sexy dutch hobo, hitchhiking down the east coast of Florida. I was lucky I didn't die, but it was an adventure though. Ended at eighteen when I walked into a recruitment office though. I'm just glad I had the where-with-all to accelerate and graduate high school early before I said "F*** IT!" and left.

Lol I was seven when I tried running away. My mom said all I put in my backpack was candy and underwear.

RE: First things for your place - Aeylis Bloodbinder - 10-13-2014

When I first moved into an apartment with one of my good friends, the first thing we purchased was a couch.  We played a lot of video games...the lack of back support from sitting on the floor was getting to be a bit of an issue.

Then we bought a TV remote.  I lost the remote somehow and we had moved the couch right in front of the TV so we wouldn't have to keep getting up to change channels.  We almost considered buying a 5-disc DVD player so we wouldn't have to keep getting up to change discs........

Lazy. College. Life.

RE: First things for your place - Fates Skein - 10-13-2014

Hmmm... When I moved in with the husband (then boyfriend) out of the dorms and into our first real apartment, the first thing we bought was this egg-crate stuff because we couldn't afford a bed (or an air mattress).  Most of the other stuff was hand-me-downs from his family or the stuff I'd managed to fit in a box and a suitcase when I uh...rather precipitously left home at 18 (mostly books, tbh >.>).

RE: First things for your place - Eva - 10-13-2014

One of the favorites?  TWIN RECLINERS!!

We just closed on our first home back in February (after living together for a good four years or so in an apartment).  We had a lot of purchases all at once, but one of my faves was this huge gorgeous L-shaped desk we have downstairs in the computer room.  We also got a really sweet pair of comfy recliners too and we were gonna fight about the TV so we got another big screen and mounted it to the wall down there.  If we want to cuddle and watch TV on the sofa we have upstairs.  If we want our space and to sprawl out and be comfy and watch TV we have the dual recliners in the basement (a.k.a. computer room a.k.a. "man cave").

It's kind of like this:
Show Content

RE: First things for your place - Okichi - 10-13-2014

Megaman X posters and a nightstand.