Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lore panel answers - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lore panel answers (/showthread.php?tid=8695)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Lore panel answers - Aduu Avagnar - 10-18-2014

garlean and aether (screen shot to come soon)

pureblood garleans are genetically unable to use aether. At all. Full stop. Do not pass go.

RE: Lore panel answers - Aduu Avagnar - 10-18-2014

more to come on the stream

RE: Lore panel answers - Melkire - 10-18-2014

A little more detail (as fast as I could capture the Q-and-A's) and a little more centralized:

Q: How do you explain hovering monters? (pugil, jellyfish)

A: They have extra bladders (double bladders). Second bladder used for floating. Evolved defensive mechanism.

Q: Why are the Allagans so huge? (Xande and Amon)

A: Xande and Amon are the only two that huge. They did a lot of genetic experimentation. They wanted to be closer to the gods. Tower of Babel sort of deal. 

Q: Ramuh does not seek to temper to gain followers. So why are there so many touched sylphs? Why are there any at all?

A: Some of the sylphs are a little bit crazy. Some of them offer themselves up to Ramuh for the sort of strength and devotion they see in other beast tribes. Ramuh accepts those that do; he just doesn't force dominion.

Q: Will we learn more about other Archons' pasts, like with Thancred in 2.2?

A: Yes, we will. Please look forward to it.

Q: Has there been a slow revival of White Mage and use of Succor, or is the main Player Character the one and only WHM outside of the Padjal?

A: You, the Warrior of Light, are the one and only chosen to do this. (Oda: There are other ways of getting white magic. There are other groups trying to revive white magic using nefarious means.)

Q: Was West Shroud destroyed by Dalamud, or does it still exist?

A: West Shroud was destroyed by Dalamud and yet it still exists. Gridania still trying to clean it up. 

Q: What happened to the City of Amdapor, where are its inhabitants? War of the Magi, what is the name of the 5th astral era nation of black mages which went to war with Amdapor and Nym?

A: Can't give the name of the third nation (I don't know). The people that survived that war and the flood fled to the area where Belah'diah is. 

Q: How old is Kan-E-Senna and why is she the only one who looks like an adult among the Padjal?

A: Late 20s (spiritual age). In the case of Kan-E-Senna, when she came back to take over the Grand Company, she's making herself look older than she is so that others take her seriously in the light of strong leadership such as Merlwyb and Raubahn.

Q: How did Company of Heroes come away with victories of Titan and Leviathan without being tempered?

A: Tried to overwhelm with numbers. Sometimes with hundreds of soldiers. First wave tempered, first and second wave fight/kill each other, third wave comes in, etc. 

Q: Are there any constellations in the night sky of Eorzea with any story to them?

A: Was planned for 1.0, there are constellations up there. Ishgard: astrologians, observatorium. Heavensward, will hear stories there. E.g. Monitor movements of the dragons by the Dragonstar.

Q: Goblins, qiqirn, considered beast tribes. What do they worship? Are there associated primals?

A: Don't know. Can't say. 

Q: Circle of Archons, what do the tattoos on their necks mean?

A: Archons, multiple eras of history. Nearing the end of an Astral Era, when a calamity is building up, people of the past will come to warn Eorzea. Not the same people, but they're historically called Archons. I.e. Circle of Knowing, because they warned the people, became known as Archons. Tattoos explained in 2.4

Q: Only see Hyur midlander children. What about children from the other races?

A: They're there. That locked door you can't get through? They're there. There are Elezen children in Gridania. Those are there. I was told there'd be Miqo'te children in 3.0. Eorzea is filled with things like gigantoads. Do you really want your children running around gigantoads? 

Q: Thal's Bloody Balls. Origin of this expletive?

A: Stressful life in Eorzea. A lot of swearing is based on religion. Blasphemy adds strength to words. Eorzea has twelve gods they can use when they swear. Thal rhymed with Balls. Oda said he wanted something longer in Japanese. Naldthal? How about making it a double-aspected god. So underworld god got merchant aspect added, so Fern could use "Thal" to say "Thal's Balls". During Square's quality assurance check, all pop-up text bubbles needed to be filled in completely even if the final text wasnt ready. So Fern filled all these bubbles in with 300 "Thal's Balls". 

Q: What does Brangwine want with adventurer's goods?

A: He wants what everyone wants, he wants money!

Q: Natural-born Garleans are either unable or do not use aether. Why is this?

A: They are genetically unable to. They kill the leaders of other nations, then assume leadership over the peoples. Even with all the information on magic that this gets them, they are genetically predisposed to not be able to use it. 

Q: Why don't male Highlanders have eyebrows?

A: (To be answered on stream)

RE: Lore panel answers - Zyrusticae - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 07:39 PM)Nakoli Chalahko Wrote: White Mage contention

other ways of getting white magic, but for the current story line, only YOU are the only one learning this way.
It's important to emphasize this answer because it confirms something else that's very important:

There aren't actually like... 2.5 million warriors of light out there or anything. You're supposed to separate the in-game story from the in-game 'reality' in that there is only a small handful of Warriors of Light even though there are loads of other players running around in-game sharing that same story. That story-gameplay separation may die down a bit as they suggest that future patches will add more avenues for RPers to get into those classes (with white magic having alternate, in his words, more "nefarious" means of being attained and of course dragoons being a major focus of 3.0).

So, uh, yeah. You are perfectly justified in playing a regular Joe if being that super-special snowflake doesn't sit right with you.

RE: Lore panel answers - Sounsyy - 10-18-2014

2/14 of my questions answered. Looking forward to next bit. I was madly scribbling notes of my own. Will of course continue to do so.

Show Content

Added from additional stream!
Show Content

Show Content

RE: Lore panel answers - Aya - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 08:09 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: So, uh, yeah. You are perfectly justified in playing a regular Joe if being that super-special snowflake doesn't sit right with you.
How could there ever have been any question about this? O.O

The story line is an obvious single-player story thrust upon an MMO.

RE: Lore panel answers - Gaspard - 10-18-2014

Can you hear it? The sound of a dozen garlean mage characters suddenly..vanishing into a space-time paradox
(10-18-2014, 07:55 PM)Nako Wrote: garlean and aether (screen shot to come soon)

pureblood garleans are genetically unable to use aether. At all. Full stop. Do not pass go.

RE: Lore panel answers - Berrod Armstrong - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 08:07 PM)Melkire Wrote: Q: Has there been a slow revival of White Mage and use of Succor, or is the main Player Character the one and only WHM outside of the Padjal?

A: You, the Warrior of Light, are the one and only chosen to do this. (Oda: There are other ways of getting white magic. There are other groups trying to revive white magic using nefarious means.)
AHHHH THEY ANSWERED IT! AHAHAHA YESSSSSS!

RE: Lore panel answers - Ciel - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 08:46 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(10-18-2014, 08:07 PM)Melkire Wrote: Q: Has there been a slow revival of White Mage and use of Succor, or is the main Player Character the one and only WHM outside of the Padjal?

AHHHH THEY ANSWERED IT! AHAHAHA YESSSSSS!

So the latter would be.... Off-white Mages?

RE: Lore panel answers - Zyrusticae - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 08:34 PM)Aya Wrote:
(10-18-2014, 08:09 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: So, uh, yeah. You are perfectly justified in playing a regular Joe if being that super-special snowflake doesn't sit right with you.

I was hoping that they would explain that the Echo is actually more common than the super-special-snowflake storyline was suggesting.

But NOPE!

RE: Lore panel answers - Mae - 10-18-2014

... The answer to the Highlander Male's lack of eyebrows doesn't make sense. Picture for me two Highlander Clans going to war with each other, Clan Red and Clan Blue:

Red: RAWR! I HAVE SHAVED OFF MY EYEBROWS! FEAR ME!
Blue:  YAAAAR! I HAVE SHAVED OFF MY EYEBROWS! I AM TERRIFYING!
Red: YOUR EYEBROW-LESS FACE IS HORRIFIC! I MUST FLEE!
Blue: YOUR LACK OF EYEBROWS HAS MADE ME WISH I WORE MY BROWN PANTS! RUN AWAY!

If y'all don't mind, I will continue with my belief that Highlander males have super bushy Mentat eyebrows and that they shave them off because to let them grow free would mean they risk limiting their sight, and that in a fight they could be used as a convenient hand-hold.

RE: Lore panel answers - Gaspard - 10-18-2014

it makes sense aesthetically. A lack of eyebrows can add to a frightening gaze alot, because it adds an "unnatural" feeling to it. Same goes for War paint. No Indian clan ever ran backwards seeing a Sioux with his war paint, doesn't mean it didn't help unsettle him

RE: Lore panel answers - Merri - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 08:51 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
(10-18-2014, 08:34 PM)Aya Wrote:

I was hoping that they would explain that the Echo is actually more common than the super-special-snowflake storyline was suggesting.

But NOPE!

This was actually answered in 1.0 to an extent, but no so much in ARR. The echo isn't common in relation to the general populace. There are, however, a lot of people who awoke with the echo. It was inferred that the Path of the Twelve (which disbanded after the calamity) had many members. Again, in comparison to the general populace, a couple hundred people scattered across Eorzea is next to nothing. It's not as exclusive as people seem to think, though. At least, it wasn't during 1.0, and some of those characters are still around.

The path of the twelve was only secretive because they were fearful of people figuring out about their "gift" and being afraid of them. Not because it was five or six people working in the dark.

If you want your character to have the echo, give it to them. If you don't abuse it, most people shouldn't really care. It's a part of the world, and opens doors to interesting possibilities that would otherwise be unfeasible.

But yeah. Just my opinion, on top of what was established in 1.0

RE: Lore panel answers - FreelanceWizard - 10-18-2014

(Emphasis mine.)

Interesting...

...though the implications for PC White Mages are rather more complex now.

Alas that the archive of the stream is only available to those who want to pay.

RE: Lore panel answers - Sounsyy - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 09:29 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Alas that the archive of the stream is only available to those who want to pay.

Fortunately I paid to win. ^^