Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] /Shocked - Arrival of a Tiny Hero!? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] /Shocked - Arrival of a Tiny Hero!? (/showthread.php?tid=8964)

Pages: 1 2

RE: [Balmung] /Shocked - Arrival of a Tiny Hero!? - Gegenji - 11-20-2014

Delayed double-post!

So I've been having wee Chacha dork around both in game and on the forums for a little bit now. Having fun and makin' frands, but something has popped up that's been bothering me, and it actually got voiced in-game kinda last night during a spontaneous live RP.

I currently have Chachanji set at 19 years of age, but I play him as quite childish and naive and all those delightfully goofy trademarks of youth. I explain some of it due to the fact that he was the youngest of his siblings, relatively spoiled beyond his training at the forge, and quite the daydreamer. Yet, I always find myself thinking that it still sorta meshes poorly with his set age.

When one of the folks I RP'd with OOC'ly asked his age, it all kinda came to a head in my mind. I pushed it aside to focus on the RP at hand, but I've been wondering ever since. Should I age Chacha down, so as to be more fitting his childish nature?

And if I do, how far do I go? I'm not trying to go for the whole "child prodigy" angle - far from it, in fact - and I still want him to be of an age where it's reasonable that he'd be able to do what he has in his background: learn his family's trade to a decent extent and, more importantly, leave his family in Doma and actually make the journey from there to Ul'dah on his own.

I didn't think the concern was enough to warrant a whole new thread about age and its effects in Eorzea (though that might still be a fun line of discussion, lore-wise), so I figured I'd just ask here. Should I age Chacha down and, if so, by how much? I'm thinking from 19 to 16, maybe? 15?

RE: [Balmung] /Shocked - Arrival of a Tiny Hero!? - Warren Castille - 11-20-2014

Slightly easy fix for that: Have him lie about his age. Kids who want to be taken seriously will definitely pretend they're older, and you don't have to go with a prodigy angle if you're already coming from a line of high-quality smiths. Learning how to do something from a pro is going to give you insight and technique that you won't get otherwise. I imagine growing up in a celebrity chef's kitchen produces a better chef than someone who attends a community cooking class, you know?

He could be a believable sixteen year old, lying about being nineteen. Working an anvil would give him more musculature than someone his age would "normally" have to help lend credence to his sneakiness.

RE: [Balmung] /Shocked - Arrival of a Tiny Hero!? - Gegenji - 11-20-2014

(11-20-2014, 09:18 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Slightly easy fix for that: Have him lie about his age. Kids who want to be taken seriously will definitely pretend they're older, and you don't have to go with a prodigy angle if you're already coming from a line of high-quality smiths.

Whoa, I never even thought about the "lying about your age to seem more adult" angle. While on the one hand, I see Chacha as one that tries to be a good boy and not lie when he can haelp it... I can also see him pouting and going "I'M TOTALLY 19, YOU GUYS." Especially if he's been turned away many times before from doing things he wants - like helping people or learning how to be a hero - due to his age. It's a surprisingly fitting solution. Surprise