Hydaelyn Role-Players
Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) (/showthread.php?tid=9201)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - Steel Wolf - 12-15-2014

Steel mulled over the woman's words as she shrugged in to a much warmer acton that had been draped over the back of a chair. The room was spartan, as most things in the fort--two basic chairs around a thoughtfully crafted round table that looked capable of withstanding a meteor strike. The walls were bare, save for a tapestry that held importance to someone who was not Steel. The only other furnishings were a small trunk and a simple cot which, mercifully, had ample blankets to shield against the cold of Coerthas. A single wall sconce provided enough light to at least be personable.

Steel finally responded to the Warden as she sat herself at one of the chairs. "Well, it's more personal preference. I know I'm not gettin' away from everyone, but this seemed th'second best choice. What, yer sayin' I shouldn't be training by myself?"

She spread her arms wide, her smile grinning as broadly as her wingspan.

"Lookit these accommodations! How can one resist such elegance?" She chuckled at her own joke as her arms lowered back to her sides. "No...no I'm here because there's less distraction. An' most people are distractions. Present company excluded, a'course."

RE: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - DrPoxo - 12-16-2014

“You should be training however you please. I am just questioning to better understand.” Matahina said as she placed her catch next to the door then slid a chair out to give her room to sit down across from the other woman. “And judging from the lack of personal effects, you are not allowing for those distractions either or you don’t plan on being around long.”

RE: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - Steel Wolf - 12-16-2014

Steel smirked as she idly rubbed at the sides of her torso to warm herself up. "Bit'a both, actually. I don't really settle in one place overlong, though Ul'dah has been a frequent stop for some downtime on more than several occasions."

She smiled warmly once more. "But I'm sorry, I've been babblin' on about myself. Perhaps you'd like t'elaborate more about yourself? Probably wouldn't hurt to know my possible teacher a bit more, mmh?"

“Teacher, eh, I did not know this was turning into an interview for such. Here I was just passing through and figured I would disarm a situation.” Matahina said rubbing the back of her neck. “Though you would not be the first disciple I have had. However, you would be the first in this field of study.” She said the last part musing to herself.
“If you must know I do a lot of wandering and my fighting style is varied. So I don’t know if you are looking for something more focused.”

RE: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - Steel Wolf - 12-16-2014

"Ah..." ,said Steel through a chuckle. "I...was..."

She slumped against the back of the chair, shaking her head. "I apologize. You had approached in what had appeared to be an advisory role. I didn't mean'ta impose nothin' on you."

“Don’t worry about it you are not imposing.” Matahina said putting on a warm smile. “You should be a bit clearer when it comes to seeking an instructor and besides I did say advice is what I do. All that training I would have thought you already had one.”

RE: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - Steel Wolf - 12-17-2014

Steel shook her head, arm flopping limply back in to her lap. Her shoulders sank as the aches of her training began to ease, muscle reforming over the tears of her cadence.

"No...well, nothin' ongoing, anyrate. I've training enough t'beat back yer standard street vermin or roamin' marauder or wild beast. But something..."

She looked at the palm of her hand, fingers curled in a shape that implied she had lost a crystal of some sort, or a globe. Some physical embodiment of power.

"Something's missin'. I feel there's power there, in these hands. But I need more. I need more t'be of some actual use beyond just a vagabond."

RE: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - DrPoxo - 12-17-2014

“Is that it, the need to find power, to find purpose?” Matahina said, the smile almost appearing on her face. “I can help you there, though; most find they already had a purpose. As for power…” She trailed off as she stood up. “That is fully dependent on how far you want to go. Are you sure that is what is missing and not something that is in the past?”

Steel's fingers curled closed in to a fist, which she withdrew in to her lap. Her jaw tightened and her brow creased slightly.

"My past has been buried. I would see those responsible suffer at my hands, so that no others may again."

She stared at a few lines of grain in the wood of the table before her, not acknowledging Matahina's movement to a standing position. "I had tried valor. To follow an example. But it was hollow truth and empty promise." She nodded, as if in reaffirmation. "No. No, power is what is missing. That has to be the missing link."

“Power over valor, the ability to crush those weaker then you rather then protect the weak or Best defense is a strong offense. Seems to me you have already set on this path for failing on the other.” Matahina leaned forward placing a gauntlet hand on the table. “Alright, I can help you but be forewarned I am not an easy instructor when it comes to the path of power.”

Steel looked at the gauntlet that rest before her. She being an armorsmith of reasonable skill was almost immediately able to tell some things about its wearer before even asking questions. The sheen of the metal was gone, oxidized and doused by the sun and the wet...yet still it was maintained. The leather at the glove was worn smooth, dulled in color at the points where a powerful grip held a large weapon. The buckles along the wrist were worn, the straps grooved deep to the preferred tightness around the hand.

This gauntlet had seen battle and had seen its owners life through to each new sunrise.

Steel's eyes moved up to Matahina, golden eyes focusing on hers. It was the first time she had honestly studied the woman's face. Steel gave a single nod, a hint of a smirk tugging lightly at the corner of her mouth.

"I don't presume t'know what your trainin' holds." ,she replied. "But I'm also stubborn enough t'not shy away from hard work."

Matahina stood up straight to her full height and gave off an aura of calmness. A grin appeared on her face as the rest of her face held calmness. Her eyes focused into a gaze that seemed to pierce through their target. She slid her left hand behind her back then extended her right hand. “I hope your stubbornness holds then.”

Steel got up out of her chair as well, standing her nearly eight fulms height. Her face loosened from determined to confident smile. Even though she had only been sitting in a bare room for a few moments, she suddenly felt re-energized, the aches of her prior exercises all but gone.

She slapped her hand in to the offered gauntlet firmly and gave it a tight, powerful and eager shake.

Matahina gripped the hand firmly with the shake. As she did her aura seemed to burst into a storm that any could feel. Even though her face did not change nor did her stance. “Well first thing is first. I will have to see what I am working with and I am not meaning the sloppy tired work I saw when I first came through.”

RE: Learning the Broad Strokes (OPEN) - Steel Wolf - 12-18-2014

Steel blinked in surprise at the sudden aural burst that exploded from the woman, seemingly with no apparent effort. She braced herself, her hand clutching Matahina's as she stood her ground within the storm. Through the entire outburst, her eyes stayed locked to Matahina's, despite having no idea what was going on.