Hydaelyn Role-Players
Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! (/showthread.php?tid=9595)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Berrod Armstrong - 01-08-2015

Oh I forgot to mention that Berrod's axe-work is entirely influenced by me swinging a broom at a wasps nest.

Tearful roaring included.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Sounsyy - 01-08-2015

I did about 10 years of Kuk Sool Won, which is a kind of Korean martial art style that focuses largely on self defense and disarming opponents. And in college I did about a year of MMA, in which I was one of the smallest (by height and weight) students. So when fighting as Sounsyy I really try to pull from those experiences.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - TheLastCandle - 01-08-2015

I'm so amused right now. As I was writing that blurb about Yvelont's fighting style, I realized it pretty much described his first meeting with his wife-to-be with 100% accuracy. Looool.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 03:21 PM)Ckayah Polaali Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 03:04 PM)Gegenji Wrote: It just seems like he has all his bases covered (which is a big red flag to me)... until I actively remember that he's rather small, so things like reach and such come into play.

Reach has a lot less impact than you'd think, mainly because there's an equivalent "inside" distance for weapons. One of my favorite opponents when I fenced was a young woman who stood about 4' 2". Our bouts would usually consist of starting out beyond my reach, having a bit of a back and forth where I'd test her defense and she'd prove that it was solid, and then a very quick set of attacks and replies which either ended up with me getting the touch or her backing me into a wall with a non-stop advance inside my weapon's range. I use a size 4 or 5 foil (the longest), and she uses a 1 (the shortest), and she really capitalized on her size and short weapon reach by consistently working to get inside the reach of her opponents.

Yep, it's a drawback and a strength. One of the first things Natalie did when she was teaching swordsman ship to Roen and Kage, was how to use both of their reaches. To use their strength and leverage against smaller people, and to get in under the reach of bigger people.

Of course most of my sword knowledge comes from reading too many fantasy and history books so... your mileage may vary.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - TheLastCandle - 01-08-2015

I feel like this is a pretty good resource on this topic for those of us going for a more European middle ages approach to our weaponry:

http://www.thortrains.com/getright/Medieval%20Combat.htm

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Hiro - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 03:41 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 03:37 PM)Nako Wrote: I remember reading somewhere that icepick grip was a stance for either masters or amateurs :p
It is.

People assume only amateur use it but in reality as someone who's learned from my uncle reverse grip has certain advantages over standard (knife wise of course)

With swords it's utterly stupid to use.

Aaron would laugh his ass off at someone fighting with a longsword using the reverse grip.

In Iaido and Kenjutsu reverse grip is actually utilized as a defensive posture for dealing with faster opponents or those with knives. It's fancy and not a style in and of itself, better viewed as a technique or move with each use as you're typically utilizing the pommel and guard to strike points to create openings than debilitating blows, of course a pommel strike to the throat was typically viewed as a finishing strike.

With regards to longswords beyond kendo and iaido I'm only aware of anything related to reverse grip being "duelist tricks" and the stuff used for showboating. According to a modern arts instructor I know anything within the realm of a 30 inch blade is suitable for reverse grip styles, course fantasy seems to love reverse grip for some strange reason.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Erik Mynhier - 01-08-2015

For Erik I draw from Fechtbuchs. In a forum rp from last year I basically copied several descriptions of attacks from the books into the combat scenes. Spear through the chin to the brain? In there. Bloody triple shield bash to break the face? In there. Focusing and deep breathing before "darkness" (in the book its called clarity) broke a vault door? In there.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Sounsyy - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 03:26 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Natalie used more of a Roman style of fighting. I've always loved the sort of brutal, machine like nature of roman sword and shield fighting. Very efficient, not at all flashy, and incredibly deadly. Just get as close as you can, use your giant shield to press your enemy's arms and weapons against their body, and just start stabbing over, under, and around it. Obviously there is more to it than that, but it was my inspiration. I feel not enough people embrace the historical 'gladiator' when they play the gladiator class.

So, I totally didn't know this was a thing, but this is exactly how I have Sounsyy fight with shield and sword. Get in close with a shield, press it against them, and then slip her shortsword up into their side or down into their thigh or knee. It just made... more sense? Like I love flashy, but Sounsyy just isn't flashy. She's a practical, grisly survivor.

Sounsyy was a Noxius when she fought on the Bloodsands. Sure, she knew how to make a show of it, but she was there trying to survive, not get showered with money. The danger was incredibly real for a slave fighter. So when I picture a 5 fulm girl paired off with a Pieste or worse for sport, I always figured that shield would become the main focus. So I took what I learned from my experiences in MMA and Kuk Sool and applied that to a shield. Get in close inside your opponent, limiting their range of motion, and if you're going to throw a blow, make it a crippling one.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 03:37 PM)Nako Wrote: I remember reading somewhere that icepick grip was a stance for either masters or amateurs :p
It is.

People assume only amateur use it but in reality as someone who's learned from my uncle reverse grip has certain advantages over standard (knife wise of course)

Aaron would laugh his ass off at someone fighting with a longsword using the reverse grip.

Alternatively a blade grip, is pretty useful for anyone fighting with a European style great sword. The first 1/3 or so of the blade is likely dull, so you can grab it, and increase your power for close quarters fighting.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Aaron - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 04:00 PM)Hiro Wrote:
It is.

In Iaido and Kenjutsu reverse grip is actually utilized as a defensive posture for dealing with faster opponents or those with knives. It's fancy and not a style in and of itself, better viewed as a technique or move with each use as you're typically utilizing the pommel and guard to strike points to create openings than debilitating blows, of course a pommel strike to the throat was typically viewed as a finishing strike.

With regards to longswords beyond kendo and iaido I'm only aware of anything related to reverse grip being "duelist tricks" and the stuff used for showboating. According to a modern arts instructor I know anything within the realm of a 30 inch blade is suitable for reverse grip styles, course fantasy seems to love reverse grip for some strange reason.
I was referring more to those stuffs you see in anime etc where the guy fights offensively with a katana like sword and tears everything apart. 

Kadaj & Galen Marek are perfect examples - In reality fighting with a sword about as long as your arm offensively with a reverse grip (trying to slash with the blade pointing opposite the inside of your wrist) would not only fail but would lack power even if you did hit. 

Defensively I can see how it can be used. Offensively? No.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Aaron - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 04:09 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
It is.

Alternatively a blade grip, is pretty useful for anyone fighting with a European style great sword. The first 1/3 or so of the blade is likely dull, so you can grab it, and increase your power for close quarters fighting.
I didn't know that actually.  . Neat!

(01-08-2015, 04:08 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 03:26 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Natalie used more of a Roman style of fighting. I've always loved the sort of brutal, machine like nature of roman sword and shield fighting. Very efficient, not at all flashy, and incredibly deadly. Just get as close as you can, use your giant shield to press your enemy's arms and weapons against their body, and just start stabbing over, under, and around it. Obviously there is more to it than that, but it was my inspiration. I feel not enough people embrace the historical 'gladiator' when they play the gladiator class.

So, I totally didn't know this was a thing, but this is exactly how I have Sounsyy fight with shield and sword. Get in close with a shield, press it against them, and then slip her shortsword up into their side or down into their thigh or knee. It just made... more sense? Like I love flashy, but Sounsyy just isn't flashy. She's a practical, grisly survivor.

Sounsyy was a Noxius when she fought on the Bloodsands. Sure, she knew how to make a show of it, but she was there trying to survive, not get showered with money. The danger was incredibly real for a slave fighter. So when I picture a 5 fulm girl paired off with a Pieste or worse for sport, I always figured that shield would become the main focus. So I took what I learned from my experiences in MMA and Kuk Sool and applied that to a shield. Get in close inside your opponent, limiting their range of motion, and if you're going to throw a blow, make it a crippling one.

Yes! A good example can be seen in the opening of HBO's rome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uocQ8t9K9FA

The legionnaires just wait for the enemies to charge into them, since their axes won't be useful in close range, and then just stab up, down, and around.

Obviously the style is slightly different when you aren't in formation, but it's beautifully mechanical. I think it's not that well known because it's less a style, and almost like a mathematical equation of how to kill people in melee combat the simplest way.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Dogberry - 01-08-2015

I don't have any specific fighters in mind, but I picture Dogberry's hand to hand fighting as very MMA Heavyweight inspired. Mostly just the striking, as holds tend to be a little godmodey in PVP fights.

For Lancer, I have a little bit of training in spears in Darkon/Dagorhir and some SCA fighting. It's nothing like what I'd call "realistic" combat, but Dogberry tends to fight much like I do. Triangular footwork, choking up and down on the shaft (hyuk hyuk), body checking and throwing my weight around when people get close.

I learned a LOT from Sword Knight Boot Camp videos.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Gegenji - 01-08-2015

Since we're getting into actual styles, I'm really hoping to get some more Aikido-style fighting with Chachan. The style is all about protecting one's self while also avoiding harming others, which I think really fits the little guy as a character. It's also all about redirecting momentum, which is how I feel a Lalafell would definitely have to deal with - say - a Roe or a Manlander bearing down on them. Plus, it's well-known oriental art that fits with his heritage of coming from Doma/Not-Japan.

Unfortunately, most of what I know of that particular style is what I learned in the aforementioned katana/naganata training at the fencing school I attended briefly. I'll definitely need to do more research if I want to incorporate it more into Chachan's combat style.

(01-08-2015, 04:09 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Alternatively a blade grip, is pretty useful for anyone fighting with a European style great sword. The first 1/3 or so of the blade is likely dull, so you can grab it, and increase your power for close quarters fighting.

I also make Chachan do this a lot, actually. Considering that his current (and most future) blades is blunt and relies on concussive force for damage, I have a lot of fun turning the blade briefly into almost a staff for cross-guards and the like.

Though... I still remember a move I was shown at the fencing school where someone basically flipped over a broadsword and brained a pumpkin with the guard like an impromptu hammer. Vicious stuff, and shows just how creative people can be with a weapon.

(01-08-2015, 04:13 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:09 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
It is.

I didn't know that actually.  . Neat!

I've showed this before, the sword fighting starts around the halfway mark. If your opponent is in armor, and/or a shield, swinging isn't going to do anything but tire you out. However if you shorten your grip, your ineffective slashing thing is now a shield, staff, stabby spike, leverage, and everything in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q