Hydaelyn Role-Players
In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... (/showthread.php?tid=9901)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... - Warren Castille - 02-01-2015

Why are there seriously people in the world who bought an Xbox One when a home computer is clearly the superior option? Why does anyone drink Pepsi instead of Coke? Why does anyone drink liquor that isn't whiskey?

We don't have to like the things other people like. In fact, sometimes it's easier just to ignore them and retcon that shit later on. Even better, when someone talks about getting the gang together to "Slay the Leviathan" there's all SORTS of euphemisms that could be.

I don't play a Warrior of Light. I tend not to associate with those who do. And if someone I do associate with suddenly "outs" themselves? I'll be perfectly civil with them, and then find an excuse to dial back my interest in their canon.

I've said before that I see RP sort of like comic book titles. We're all writing in the FFXIV universe. Some of us are writing detective stories. Some of us are writing from the point of view of vendors, or barmaids. Some folks are waaaay into Cosmic Marvel. You get to pick and choose what you read, and when you find the "See Issue #616 of 'Amazing Warriors of Light'" you can choose to just ignore that tie-in.

RE: In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... - Cato - 02-01-2015

I don't buy into the idea that because something is part of the game it has to be included in role-play. Again, it boils down to arrogance: just because you could have your character do something it doesn't mean you should.

Obviously nobody can stop someone from embracing a particular concept but they're certainly free to raise eyebrows and offer constructive criticism. It comes with the territory. If you're going to make bold claims such as 'my character is a close ally of Minfilia and has fought a Primal directly' then the least you can do is be open to it being poorly received.

RE: In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... - Parvacake - 02-01-2015

Mostly with Franz on all of this. Also where Greg is concerned: he may be comedic, but he's still lore so likely isnt the best person to use as an argument for this one.

RE: In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... - Aysun - 02-01-2015

(02-01-2015, 11:14 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: Obviously nobody can stop someone from embracing a particular concept but they're certainly free to raise eyebrows and offer constructive criticism. It comes with the territory. If you're going to make bold claims such as 'my character is a close ally of Minfilia and has fought a Primal directly' then the least you can do is be open to it being poorly received.

*Waits for someone to make that claim and force it down people's throats, which probably should be required for such a rant to be needed.*

Blue RPs the MSQ, and even s/he is not saying she forces her canon on anyone, rather that they accept people who want to do it as well.

RE: In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... - V'aleera - 02-01-2015

(02-01-2015, 11:14 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: Again, it boils down to arrogance: just because you could have your character do something it doesn't mean you should.
The same could be said of unsolicited criticism.

While none of my characters has ever touched the MSQ in any significant way, one of my alts has ICly had a one night stand with Thancred. Just because I thought it'd be funny, fitting, and entirely lore appropriate.

RE: In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... - Sin - 02-01-2015

The original poster seems quite chill. His rant seemed articulate enough, and even comical at times. He is displaying his opinion in a public forum in a respectful enough manner.

I agree with his main point about the inherent absurdism in slaying primals willy-nilly.

However, it does not bother me any how other people wish to roleplay or what they wish to roleplay as long as they're having fun.

I'll make a private joke about crazy over the top, primal slaying, Shiva-bedding character with my friends. We'll laugh and then continue roleplaying while adhering to the lore standard we deem appropriate for our storytelling.

Everyone has fun!

RE: In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... - Cato - 02-01-2015

(02-01-2015, 11:18 PM)Intaki Wrote:
(02-01-2015, 11:14 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: Again, it boils down to arrogance: just because you could have your character do something it doesn't mean you should.
The same could be said of unsolicited criticism.

If I walk down the street naked, even in countries where it's legal I'd fully expect to be called out on it. The same can be said of people taking major liberties with their character's concept - you're free to do it, just don't be surprised when people roll their eyes or question the reasoning as to why it's being done.

I personally don't think that's unfair. If you do, then we'll just have to agree to disagree! I'm certainly not losing any sleep over this, if that's what you fear. I simply don't bite my tongue when it comes to debates such as this. I'm British.

Responding to an IC claim of slaying a primal by ICly rolling one's eyes and deriding the claimant as a glory-seeking braggart is fine.

Criticizing other people's roleplaying when they have not sought to force their RP on anyone or the community, nor have they invited criticism is not.

It's the same reason I don't roll my eyes at all the "OMG my character is so real and mundane and special for not being special" crowd before proceeding to ask them how often they RP their character getting trenchfoot and dysentery.

RE: In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... - Nyagi Yhistarok - 02-01-2015

(02-01-2015, 11:04 PM)Blue Wrote: Hello, as a person that roleplays the main scenario, I think I can point out at a couple things.

First and foremost, there were no "few" Warriors of Light. There were so many adventurers at the battle of Cartenau, some people's client would just crash. People had to flee the zone and teleport in Ul'hah to escape that madness, and SE acknowledged them enough to send imperials there too in the event.

Second, there isn't just one person who got Hydaelyn's call. In fact...

[Image: 54cee8c522c39258738ac29a.jpg]
[Image: 54cee8d622c39258738ac2b8.jpg]
[Image: 54cee8e122c39258738ac2c1.jpg]
[Image: 54cee8f422c39258738ac2c4.jpg]

My group RPs anyone willing to make such claim to have received Hydaelyn's call, and if someone new joins us, by all means, they can have received that Call too. They just were one among all those dots in the sky! They also can be Scions just like us. Minfilia simply had sent us on different tasks and we didn't meet until now!

It's perfectly okay and possible to RP there to be other Warriors of Light.

And last but not least, Primals return over and over, so it's also legit to claim to have fought them in different instances as someone else.
Three things:

1. You roleplay the main scenario? Well, that's neat, but I can't and I don't think anyone else that takes the lore seriously, can take your character seriously.

2. Are you using a video with particle effects as proof behind your statement? Not every dot in the sky is a person, and the video is a generic representation of the few Warriors of Light that become the Blade of Light. It's not like SE has the resources to custom create a CGI version of each character with the myriad of custom armors and races they can play.

3. Having the Echo does not make you a Warrior of Light. In the Battle of Cartenau, that was just a bunch of people from each of the Grand Companies that came to fight the Garleans. If you're going to refer to videos as evidence, take note that in the video that places in the opening credits (that's pressing down three times on your PS3 controller by the way and then pressing the 'X' key) it'll play a video showing the battle and everyone save for the few Warriors of Light (I think they showed, hmm, one black mage, one warrior, one paladin, one white mage, and one bard.) and the rest were pretty much dressed to the nines in company gear.

That's the problem with using game representations through events and videos as evidence for your claim. They can't accurately depict -you- in that setting they depict the main protagonist and general fillers to convey certain events, of which the pictures you linked show an event that was just to express something that otherwise would be indescribable. The main hero, banded with his team of Warriors of Light, used their aether to banish the Ascian from a scion's body. Nothing more. And no, Lahabrea did not repetitively possess Thancred over and over in a queuing lobby so that everyone even to this day can claim, "I saved him. I was a Warrior or Light. I used the Blade of Light." that's a game mechanic to allow everyone to experience the same content that if we're roleplaying and making the world seem real then only one, okay at most, eight people in the entire world could have actually experienced.

RE: In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... - Inessa Hara - 02-01-2015

I think the lesson to take from this is that everyone RP's differently. Don't like it? Don't RP with them. Problem solved.

As for the absurdity of primal summonings, I would agree with the original poster on many of her points but I would like to make a distinction here between the Warrior's of Light and the MPC.

The MPC (Main Player Character) is the only one with mary sue/superultramegapower and are strong enough to go against the primals gods and survive. The other, non-MPC warriors of light are just there to help.

There are a ton of warriors of light. That doesn't mean though they all have the same power level as the MPC does. MPC has an over 9000 power level. Most warrior's of light wont come near that level.

So its perfectly acceptable to be a warrior of light. It doesnt mean you are a mary sue. The only time it starts becoming trouble is when the RPer begins using it as an excuse to fight primals on a regular basis (and winning alot) or fighting groups of other player characters and using it as an excuse to god mode and attempt to knock them all out.

RE: In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... - Kellach Woods - 02-01-2015

so who brought this up and why did it even need a response?

(02-01-2015, 11:33 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: so who brought this up and why did it even need a response?
[Image: duty_calls.png]

RE: In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... - Aysun - 02-01-2015

(02-01-2015, 11:29 PM)Nyagi Yhistarok Wrote: Three things:

1. You roleplay the main scenario? Well, that's neat, but I can't and I don't think anyone else that takes the lore seriously, can take your character seriously.

2. Are you using a video with particle effects as proof behind your statement? Not every dot in the sky is a person, and the video is a generic representation of the few Warriors of Light that become the Blade of Light. It's not like SE has the resources to custom create a CGI version of each character with the myriad of custom armors and races they can play.

3. Having the Echo does not make you a Warrior of Light. In the Battle of Cartenau, that was just a bunch of people from each of the Grand Companies that came to fight the Garleans. If you're going to refer to videos as evidence, take note that in the video that places in the opening credits (that's pressing down three times on your PS3 controller by the way and then pressing the 'X' key) it'll play a video showing the battle and everyone save for the few Warriors of Light (I think they showed, hmm, one black mage, one warrior, one paladin, one white mage, and one bard.) and the rest were pretty much dressed to the nines in company gear.
1. That's your choice. I don't seek out people who RP the MSQ either, but I don't tell them they're a cancer.

2. All of the lights swarming around the mothercrystal are people who Hydaelyn called upon to do her work of finding those crystals. The MSQ WoL just happens to be the one who is followed and succeeds.

3. Correct, having the Echo is independent of being a WoL. However: that video was shown at the end of 1.0. It was our closure. The derplander and his party were substitutes for our characters. Every legacy player character from 1.0 was canonically on that battlefield and became a Warrior of Light. Not everyone chose that fate for their character, however.

RE: In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... - Mae - 02-01-2015

(02-01-2015, 11:04 PM)Blue Wrote: [Image: 54cee8c522c39258738ac29a.jpg]
[Image: 54cee8d622c39258738ac2b8.jpg]
[Image: 54cee8e122c39258738ac2c1.jpg]
[Image: 54cee8f422c39258738ac2c4.jpg]
...GetoutofmyheadIwasintheprocessofdoingthesamething...

Anyways.The game actually gives a lot of leeway for people to be called/touched by Hydaelyn/possessing the Echo, and still be within lore for it. All those other NPC's in the cutscene, it's ENTIRELY possible that they just passed off the 'vision' as a weird dream and go about the rest of their lives without ever realizing what they had the potential for. 

I RP MSQ as well (same group that Blue's in), and it's not that hard to include/justify other people/groups that are doing the same thing. "Oh, you're the other team the Scions sent out? Are you having better luck than us?", "... There was a guy in a black cloak summoning a gargoyle and causing problems out in <enter starting zones here>? Ugh, I can't believe they're trying to stir up trouble again..."

That being said, I don't see a problem with people fighting Primals ICly, or even talking about it. If I ICly hear it, I just justify it as a group of people being in the right place at the right time to foil yet another Beastman's attempt at summoning.

RE: In response to people taking Primal fights ICly... - Sin - 02-01-2015

(02-01-2015, 11:33 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: so who brought this up and why did it even need a response?

Because this is a public forum about FFXIV Roleplay, and he is stating his opinions about FFXIV roleplay.