Hydaelyn Role-Players
An Ishgard Project - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: An Ishgard Project (/showthread.php?tid=9953)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: An Ishgard Project - Celise - 02-16-2015

Neat! My character's from Ishgard, being the (illegitimate) daughter of a knight sworn to House Fortemps, though she's not currently in their service. But come 3.0, maybe there can be things.

RE: An Ishgard Project - Verranicus - 02-17-2015

(02-15-2015, 02:12 PM)Candor Wrote: Verranicus, this comment doesn't strike me as constructive criticism. My project isn't motivated by impatience or hope.

The problem is that I see people doing this all the time with various things and it almost always ends badly. For all you know, House Haillenarte could end up destroyed between now and Heavensward, or even midway through the expansion MSQ. As Tiergan said, it's much safer and more practical to invent your own noble house.

Example: I knew of some people running around RPing as hooded members of Yugiri's race. They were 100% sure she would be revealed to be a Viera and were modeling their RP as such. Now we know they're wrong and the lot of them are forced to backpedal and essentially lose all of the RP they did.

You also have to consider that using any sort of in-game faction as your own ends up causing drama more often than not. Every now and then you'll see posts crop up on these boards from people who RP as or are part of organizations that RP as part of the Grand Companies, or the Brass Blades, and they're upset that people don't treat them with authority. I don't think you should be making yourself part of an organization that could potentially have a major impact on the story, just because it puts other RPers on the spot about they might act around you.

RE: An Ishgard Project - Candor - 02-17-2015

Verannicus, I see what you're writing, and I recognize your concern but I'm afraid that in this instance it's misplaced. Before I started this project I considered all the likely, and most of the unlikely, results of the Heavensward plot. Granted, I can't predict the future, but I that doesn't mean I'm blind to the risks. For example, you pointed out that House Haillenarte could be killed off, and I thought of that too. I know exactly how my new FC will survive if that's the case. If Haillenarte becomes villains, politically insignificant, or exiled won't matter either, because I know how I'll handle those situations, as well as many others that I'm not mentioning here.

As for your dislike of my choosing an existing canon faction as my own - there's nothing I can do. Some people just don't like when other players do that, other people do. In deference for the split opinion on this I chose to focus on the infrastructure of House Haillenarte instead of the nobility. However, there will likely be a few Haillenarte nobles in the mix anyway. To this I ask you 2 questions.

1) Should I restrict access to anyone who has named their character Haillenarte?

Players have been doing this since the game launched, as well as naming their characters Fortemps, Dzemael, and Durendaire. To me this is no different than naming a character Nunh. The question I face isn't "Will we let players make Haillenarte nobles for this FC?" but instead it's "Will we allow previously establish Haillenarte characters to join this FC?" My answer is yes.

2) How does this at all differ from any non-FC or other-FC affiliated noble characters?

So far we already have dozens of noble characters who RP with entitled personalities and perceived authority. I've had the opportunity to RP with quite a few of them myself, and my experiences have been mostly positive. It's because as a whole RPers are aware of the implications of their characters and back stories and they self regulate to keep things conducive for the players around them. Certainly, there's always bumps in the road, but those players who cause a fuss about how something isn't going their way really are the minority. I don't see any difference at all between these already existing noble characters and the noble characters that may join or be created for my new FC. Do you see a difference?

Verranicus, I understand that you've been a part of some botched projects and that you've seen even more. So have I. In fact, I think you would be hard pressed to find a single player who hasn't been a part of or observed a bad MMO experience. Despite that, I'm going to urge you to judge things on a case by case basis - and especially judge players for themselves, and not for the actions of other players. Simply because you've seen something that you feel is similar to what I'm doing doesn't mean you know what's going to happen with this project of mine. You're concerned, certainly, but your arguments strike me less as criticism and more as scorn. I strongly encourage you to ask more questions about my intent instead of drawing negative conclusions to explain how I'm making a mistake. This isn't my first rodeo.

An Ishgard Project - Bahati - 02-20-2015

I personally find this idea refreshing. The appeal lies in being part of a group of like minded individuals in the planning stages rather than later joining and bending to the will of an already established ideal. Working together to not only prepare for an FC launch when the expansion arrives but to RP along with whatever lore is going to toss at us.

RE: An Ishgard Project - Khadan - 02-20-2015

Will you be restricting interaction to members only or will you use a Linkshell so that people who want to be involved on their Ishgardian-oriented characters wouldn't need to leave their established RP FC or PvE FC? To expand on that further would Linkshell members be just as included, perhaps?

I ask because I couldn't possibly leave my FC even to RP in a group that is involved in my character's home! Though I would love the chance to be involved in more Ishgardian related RP! So if a linkshell is possible I'd love to be involved.

RE: An Ishgard Project - Candor - 02-20-2015

That's a great question, Kayllen!

House Haillenarte will have an RP linkshell issued to every member of the FC. It will also be issued to interested characters who are already enrolled with a non-RP FC. I would never expect anyone to leave an end-game FC for an RP FC. Unfortunately the LS will not be issued to characters who are enrolled with another RP FC. Our LS will be IC, and I think it's important for the characters involved to have a private group RP option without creating any conflicts of interest.

However, all characters will be welcome to interact with House Haillenarte even if they're not members of the FC or LS, and in the spirit of inclusion any interested player may join our Skype channel. In this way we can include players from other RP FCs, and their characters, while not compromising House Haillenarte IC chat.

RE: An Ishgard Project - Velaena - 02-22-2015

This is a great idea in my opinion. Since we have players in Miqo'te tribes/families that are canon, we have players that are members of in-game organisations like the Sultan Sworn, The Brass Blades and the like, and now we have something Ishgardian to look forward too. 

I personally would love it if we could have a Free Company for the four High Houses, and then a number of Free Companies for lesser noble houses that are connected to the high houses. If that is canon (or maybe even if it isn't and we need to come up with our own fanon because SE doesn't fill us in completely).

So we would have something like this eventually. 

RE: An Ishgard Project - Verranicus - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 11:30 AM)Velaena Wrote: This is a great idea in my opinion. Since we have players in Miqo'te tribes/families that are canon, we have players that are members of in-game organisations like the Sultan Sworn, The Brass Blades and the like, and now we have something Ishgardian to look forward too. 

I personally would love it if we could have a Free Company for the four High Houses, and then a number of Free Companies for lesser noble houses that are connected to the high houses. If that is canon (or maybe even if it isn't and we need to come up with our own fanon because SE doesn't fill us in completely).

So we would have something like this eventually. 

You bring up one of the other things in this vein that irk me with the Miqo'te tribes. Every time I see a Nuhn walking around like it's totally normal I have to fight some internal battle to keep from getting riled up by it.

Aren't Nuhn's canonically supposed to stay behind wherever their tribe lives and make babies? Why would they be wandering the world? Why would their tribe -let them-? They have no real power in their tribes (barring some exceptions), so you'd think the breeding males would be kept on a tight leash.

But no, you'll constantly see random Nuhns walking around and flirting with anything on two legs, acting like they're the bees knees.

RE: An Ishgard Project - Makyn Loneseeker - 02-22-2015

This is a really, really cool idea. I had been thinking about Makyn travelling more north to see different areas. Maybe he could find work among the house?

RE: An Ishgard Project - Candor - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 01:51 PM)Verranicus Wrote: You bring up one of the other things in this vein that irk me with the Miqo'te tribes. Every time I see a Nuhn walking around like it's totally normal I have to fight some internal battle to keep from getting riled up by it.

Aren't Nuhn's canonically supposed to stay behind wherever their tribe lives and make babies? Why would they be wandering the world? Why would their tribe -let them-? They have no real power in their tribes (barring some exceptions), so you'd think the breeding males would be kept on a tight leash.

But no, you'll constantly see random Nuhns walking around and flirting with anything on two legs, acting like they're the bees knees.

Verranicus, I'm unsure why you're treating my thread as a space for you to vent your complaints about other people's play styles. I've encouraged players to share their thoughts, concerns, questions, and suggestions, but you're only making presumptions. This thread isn't even about Nunhs, and Valaena was simply drawing a comparison.

If you don't have anything constructive to add to this discussion, please refrain from posting here. The RPC has multiple threads for complaints, but this isn't one of them.

RE: An Ishgard Project - Velaena - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 03:05 PM)Candor Wrote:
(02-22-2015, 01:51 PM)Verranicus Wrote: You bring up one of the other things in this vein that irk me with the Miqo'te tribes. Every time I see a Nuhn walking around like it's totally normal I have to fight some internal battle to keep from getting riled up by it.

Verranicus, I'm unsure why you're treating my thread as a space for you to vent your complaints about other people's play styles. I've encouraged players to share their thoughts, concerns, questions, and suggestions, but you're only making presumptions. This thread isn't even about Nunhs, and Valaena was simply drawing a comparison.

If you don't have anything constructive to add to this discussion, please refrain from posting here. The RPC has multiple threads for complaints, but this isn't one of them.
I seriously have to commend you for keeping your calm. I don't think I could. 

As for that, I was drawing a comparison of canon constructs that players have adopted into RP. My point was basically, if we can do that and not have too many people object to it, then surely we can RP as members of the Ishgardian Nobility. I'm not saying that you have to be the head of House Haillenarte. They may have a huge extended family that still have the last name but need documents to actually prove their lineage; for example. 

What I'm saying is that it is possible to do it in a lore-friendly way. There's no way this will be everybody's cup of tea, as it clearly is not yours. If you don't like it, then simply don't get involved.

RE: An Ishgard Project - Steel Wolf - 02-22-2015

I just wanted to voice my support for this idea. Although I find Ishgard a terrible society and find almost nothing redeeming about them as shown thus far in the MSQ, I adore the thought processes here.

As someone who's landed in more than a few FCs/guilds where I felt like a useless drop in a bucket of people who were already friends to begin with and are putting up with my presence, letting people help to get in on the ground floor of a great idea has my luv. <3

RE: An Ishgard Project - Velaena - 03-02-2015

Is this still going forward?

RE: An Ishgard Project - Candor - 03-02-2015

Discussion has slowed down, but it's still a-go! What can I do for you?

RE: An Ishgard Project - Candor - 05-17-2015

It’s been some time but this project hasn’t been forgotten or abandoned, I’ve just been busy. Now I would like to take some time to explain some of the unique ideas that we’ll be investing into House Haillenarte FC, in order to create a fun and engaging RP experience for everyone involved. Let’s take this one thing at a time.

Linkshell Chat/FC Chat: This is something we’ve changed. Previously it was arranged so that the LS was IC for the FC members only, and the FC chat was OOC. We’ve reversed that, and the LS is now open to anyone who would simply like to stay in contact and RP with us, regardless of membership or not. Kaylenn originally asked about this, and I’m happy to say that we now have a place where he and players like him can stay in contact.

IC Ranks: IC ranking has been streamlined a great deal, and it’s no longer based upon any sort of merit system. We’ll discuss a bit later how we want to equip players with the tools to tell fun and expansive stories, and part of that is to allow them a certain degree of freedom. In other words, now characters can start and be any rank they want, so long as it follows 2 simple guidelines. The first is that it must be realistic and justified - meaning that you can play the captain of the guard, but you need the backstory to give it merit. Obviously, things that can’t reasonably be justified couldn’t be played. The second guideline is that as a rule we discourage players from playing actual Haillenarte characters. Meaning, a character with the name Haillenarte. This second rule isn’t set in stone, but that name carries influence, so anyone playing a Haillenarte will be held to a much higher standard.

IC promotions are handled the same way as IC ranks. Your character may advance to whatever rank as you feel it’s appropriate, so long as you can make it believable. So, your captain of the guard can raise to whatever rank is higher - like the Mac Daddy of the Guard - when you feel it’s right, as part of your own narrative.

Obviously, this will take some respect on the part of the players. If there’s already a Captain of the Guard, naturally you can’t play the Captain of the Guard to the same House.

OOC Ranks: OOC ranks remain the same as before. There’s only 3: Director, Officer, and Patron. They have absolutely nothing to do with IC standing. An Officer can play a low ranking character, and a Patron can play the Mac Daddy of the Guard. I’m the Director and my own character will not be anywhere near the top. The purpose of these ranks is for OOC assistance, moderation, and making valuable resources in the FC Bank available to players who need them. The rank of Officer will also be kept modest, so as not to get confused with any overwhelming authority. Meaning we plan for there to be 2 Officers as a base, and then an additional 1 Officer per 10 active players.

FC Structure: So, as the IC rankings make clear, we’re not terribly worried about a long slog for anyone to start as a serf and eventually rise to the lauded rank of lord. What we’re interested in is creating a place for people to tell their stories in a way that includes others, and so we’re taking special care to create an environment where story elements can be submitted and collected for others’ view and use. For example, Dwayne Johnson plays The Rock the Roegadyn, who is the Mac Daddy of the Guard to House Awesomesauce, a vassal house of Haillenarte, and in telling his story he generates and narrates an NPC called Biggen Grumbles, who is a rather surly lalafel trader who frequents Awesomesauce. Dwayne Johnson would be able to submit Biggen Grumbles into a dedicated place on the forum, where NPCs created and used by players in their narratives will be collected. Later, Paul Ruebens, who plays Pee Wee the lalafel, can read about Biggen Grumbles and work him into his own story. Now, 2 unassociated players are using the same NPC, without contradictions made since Dwayne Johnson defined the NPC, and there didn’t need to be a GM present to make this happen.

This will be a common theme of the House Haillenarte FC, with less of a focus on structure and rank and earning one’s place, and more of a focus on collaborative storytelling. Naturally, we understand that this lenient approach isn’t for everyone, there’s likely to be those who misunderstand the purpose, and there’s going to be those who abuse the system. We’re aware and prepared for this, but we don’t feel it’s such a large threat that this unique attitude can’t be attempted.

FC Type: I think it’s fairly obvious to say that this is going to be an RP FC, however that doesn’t preclude the rest of the game’s elements. We’re also interested in playing the game, and helping those who aren’t as far along as others in terms of XP, know how, and item level. So, we’re going to be dedicated to those things too. I think right now it’s fair to say that the FC will also cover: Leveling, Dungeons, Guildhests, Trials, and Raids. You’ll just have to stand by for any word on Casual, Hardcore, and PvP.

FC Interaction: Everyone is welcome to interact with us! Whether you’re an FC member or not, whether you’re into Ishgardian themed RP or not! If you want to RP, find us, RP with us, we’ll love you for it. We might kidnap you and take you home to meet the family, have dinner, and a friendly game of Twister!

FC Theme: And finally, the big one. As we’ve been discussing the FC with others, there’s one theme that’s come up again and again, and it’s made people clap and cheer and throw us parties and give us money and name their children after us. And ice cream. There was ice cream once. We’ve been told each time we mention this little caveat that we should have started with it, so here it is…

Game of Thrones! Ishgard is essentially medieval England, except with silly elves with goofy French names. And dragons. Anyway! It has nobles and knights and priests and politics out the hoo-hah! House Haillenarte will be doing its utmost to strike an atmosphere not unlike Game of Thrones. Politics, intrigue, controversy! People might even die! (If the player wants to kill their character. (We understand that character death isn’t up to us. (And we’re not assholes. (Most of the time.))))

Alright, there it is. It’s by no means finished. We’ve still got a little over a month to develop, and we’re still only FC Rank 6, but we’re determined to be 8 by the time we launch. As usual, anyone interested in getting in early is more than welcome, as long as they understand that we aren’t holding any FC related RP just yet. But we’re leveling, gearing up, getting ready, and we like new friends!

Feel free to share thoughts, concerns, questions and suggestions. We just ask that they be pertinent to the topic.