Hydaelyn Role-Players
"Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" (/showthread.php?tid=7495)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Kage - 05-03-2015

(05-03-2015, 05:11 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: I'm actually working on one... and now I remember why I never did one T_T

I put the coding in exactly from another persons page and it's freaking out. But it's an exact copy! So I'm working around it.  I hate coding.

Link us! Maybe someone can help~

I actually hate a lot of html coding so I went with a really simplified but nicely organized setup if I can pat myself on the back for that one >.>;

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Chris Ganale - 05-03-2015

I filled in Seno's appearance and personality. Does that count for fulfilling our bargain, Ramomo?

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Martiallais - 05-04-2015

Just wanted to update that I'm finally getting things written for two character wikis....it's a step in the right direction for me!

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Hammersmith - 05-04-2015

There.  I just did a passthrough of rumors for pages for names I could remember from Grindstone.

Ping me if I missed someone.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Gegenji - 05-05-2015

The events of last night have necessitated an update to Chachan's wiki, which was in need of some updating anyway. I feel like I was overly vague about the events between the last update and this one... but I also don't want to go too heavily into the details of the events since he was mainly a participant and not a focus on them.

I dunno. I might go back and fiddle with it some more, as I am wont to do with anything I write. I think the most important Chachan matters got touched on, though...

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Dogberry - 05-05-2015

Anyone want to update my character wiki for me?

I can pay you in beer.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Kurt S. - 05-05-2015

(05-03-2015, 05:51 PM)Chris Ganale Wrote: I filled in Seno's appearance and personality. Does that count for fulfilling our bargain, Ramomo?

Oh god I haven't even done anything on mine..ughh..I guess I could just slap on Leanne, Jancis and Floria on Kurt's as associates and call that a day.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-05-2015

(05-05-2015, 08:53 AM)Dogberry Wrote: Anyone want to update my character wiki for me?

I can pay you in beer.

What kinda updates?

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Warren Castille - 05-05-2015

(05-05-2015, 09:15 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(05-05-2015, 08:53 AM)Dogberry Wrote: Anyone want to update my character wiki for me?

I can pay you in beer.

What kinda updates?

Not gonna lie, leaving that open-ended makes me want to just mspaint up a roe picture and collect my case of beer.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Gegenji - 05-05-2015

(05-05-2015, 09:16 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:

I can pay you in beer.

What kinda updates?

Not gonna lie, leaving that open-ended makes me want to just mspaint up a roe picture and collect my case of beer.

Photoshop a dog's head onto a blueberry, post to wiki, collect beer.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Dogberry - 05-05-2015

(05-05-2015, 09:18 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(05-05-2015, 09:16 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:

I can pay you in beer.

What kinda updates?

Photoshop a dog's head onto a blueberry, post to wiki, collect beer.

The more effort you put into it, the better beer you get. You MS paint me a Roe, you get a 6 pack of Milwaukee's Best. Bad photoshop gets you a skunked Corona Light and an overripe lime. You make the effort to go above and beyond, I will brew you a special batch of my own house cider.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Ilwe'ran - 05-05-2015

(05-03-2015, 05:11 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: I'm actually working on one... and now I remember why I never did one T_T

I put the coding in exactly from another persons page and it's freaking out. But it's an exact copy! So I'm working around it. I hate coding.

Maybe this will help you hun : http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.7.7.html
Copy / paste your wiki in a new page. In the taskbar, make sure that "wrap" option is toggled.
In language menu, select HTML. If you want to save your wiki, select html as language as well.
It will NOT correct your code but it will color it and make it easier to find where to actually write or not (black text = content). If you click on some code it will highlight its beginning and its end which will help you to detect and thus to correct the errors.

Here is how it will look like :

[Image: l8nZCZw.png]

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - FreelanceWizard - 05-05-2015

One thing you can do if wiki coding seems daunting is to use one of the simple, non-HTML templates (Deidre's, FreelanceWizard's, or Simple page) to start. Wiki markup is a lot less complex than HTML, and the basic controls (bold, underline, bullets, etc.) are available in the editor.

If you want to do some fancy HTML, and you're on a PC, grab a copy of Visual Studio Express; these have HTML editors with autocomplete and syntax validation. There's also Visual Studio Code, which is cross-platform, but I haven't played with it yet so I don't know how solid it is. I wouldn't recommend something like Dreamweaver, because the HTML it generates might cause MediaWiki to throw a fit.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Ilwe'ran - 05-05-2015

(05-05-2015, 10:36 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: One thing you can do if wiki coding seems daunting is to use one of the simple, non-HTML templates (Deidre's, FreelanceWizard's, or Simple page) to start. Wiki markup is a lot less complex than HTML, and the basic controls (bold, underline, bullets, etc.) are available in the editor.

If you want to do some fancy HTML, and you're on a PC, grab a copy of Visual Studio Express; these have HTML editors with autocomplete and syntax validation. There's also Visual Studio Code, which is cross-platform, but I haven't played with it yet so I don't know how solid it is. I wouldn't recommend something like Dreamweaver, because the HTML it generates might cause MediaWiki to throw a fit.

Ah while you're around, maybe you might be able to help me with this one Smile ?
I changed my template not long ago and we noticed that all the people using the said template (Carina Lir, P'azih Tia, D'lyhhia Lhuil, etc.) don't appear in the characters list. I don't manage to find where we messed up so it happened, maybe you can tell us what we did wrong ?

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Manari - 05-05-2015

I am a few years past overdue on updating my wiki. But seeing as I finally seem to be getting back into regular RP, I think I should probably take some time to add everything that's happened after 1.0. Because that's the last time I gave it any real update. So if I ever get around to it, its going to be a bit of a time investment.

I never did understand the wiki code, I just used the editor. I'm not sure if that's acceptable or if it makes it bad, but I did the best I could.