Hydaelyn Role-Players
Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on the Au Ra? (/showthread.php?tid=9359)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - allgivenover - 12-23-2014

I suspect that the dimorphism has more to do with the race being a reskin of the Elezen male and female Miqo'te models as a practical requirement demanded by the PS3 rather than a pure design choice.

It was just another memory efficient way to make them more different from the existing races.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Iex - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 03:16 PM)allgivenover Wrote: I suspect that the dimorphism has more to do with the race being a reskin of the Elezen male and female Miqo'te models as a practical requirement demanded by the PS3 rather than a pure design choice.
It was just another memory efficient way to make them more different from the existing races.

Aren't they discontinuing support of the PS3 with the expansion?

I honestly don't know, I play on the PC so I don't pay attention to the console versions.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - allgivenover - 12-23-2014

No, 4.0 at the earliest. They're sticking with it through Heavensward.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Warren Castille - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 03:19 PM)Iex Wrote:
(12-23-2014, 03:16 PM)allgivenover Wrote: I suspect that the dimorphism has more to do with the race being a reskin of the Elezen male and female Miqo'te models as a practical requirement demanded by the PS3 rather than a pure design choice.

Aren't they discontinuing support of the PS3 with the expansion?

I honestly don't know, I play on the PC so I don't pay attention to the console versions.

PS3 is supported through this expansion, no promises for future ones.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Zyrusticae - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 03:10 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: It's fairly unsporting to call someone's post useless. If you don't like the content, don't pay any mind to it.

Do I have to frame my comment about SE monitoring metric data just like they always have in insults and buzzwords to get some attention to that fact?

Fine.

The neckbeard misognysists at SE need to stop being so problematically toxic and check their privilege when it comes to defining gender roles and identity in their new race. Monitoring metric player data for use in their census doesn't address the issues transethnic otherkin might face and their ableist attitudes towards the playerbase is toxic. And problematic.

There, that's gotta be BINGO for someone's card.
I don't see why I need to be 'sporting' when someone is just throwing out crap left and right with zero respect for the subject at hand or its participants. If there is to be a discussion there has to be some common ground and shit posts like that only serve as mudslinging.

And I don't know why you are so gung-ho on this anti-SJW bent, but this shit is also entirely irrelevant and I wish you'd just stop.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Tiergan - 12-23-2014

Can we just... agree to disagree?

This is an absurd amount of heat over an imaginary fantasy race. It's okay for people to like the Au Ra and it's okay for people to not fancy them so much. If you feel very strongly either way, you can also talk about it without sounding like you think the person with the opposite opinion is an idiot.

Also, you could probably just e-mail SE about it as they're the ones who can actually do something about it either way. Vent out all of your love/hate in an e-mail, and then come back here to talk like good people about a game we all enjoy playing and having fun times over.

[EDIT: I should add Zyrusticae - even if you feel someone is being a huge turd, don't use it as an excuse to sink down into the mud too. It just makes this thread that much more combative and unpleasent.

REMEMBER GUYS. FANTASY RACE. FUN TIMES. AN MMO WE ALL PLAY FOR ENJOYMENT. It's not really worth this much anger over.]

(12-23-2014, 03:37 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
(12-23-2014, 03:10 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: It's fairly unsporting to call someone's post useless. If you don't like the content, don't pay any mind to it.

Do I have to frame my comment about SE monitoring metric data just like they always have in insults and buzzwords to get some attention to that fact?

Fine.

The neckbeard misognysists at SE need to stop being so problematically toxic and check their privilege when it comes to defining gender roles and identity in their new race. Monitoring metric player data for use in their census doesn't address the issues transethnic otherkin might face and their ableist attitudes towards the playerbase is toxic. And problematic.

There, that's gotta be BINGO for someone's card.
I don't see why I need to be 'sporting' when someone is just throwing out crap left and right with zero respect for the subject at hand or its participants. If there is to be a discussion there has to be some common ground and shit posts like that only serve as mudslinging.

And I don't know why you are so gung-ho on this anti-SJW bent, but this shit is also entirely irrelevant and I wish you'd just stop.

Yes, I'm the one bringing ideology into this discussion. Still no rebuttal, though, I see. If you missed my point, it was nestled directly in between the parts of my post you deigned to reply to.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Kage - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 03:19 PM)allgivenover Wrote: No, 4.0 at the earliest. They're sticking with it through Heavensward.
To be honest I think they might discontinue it earlier than 4.0, or in my mind they should but perhaps not. Then again, they haven't talked about I much either way...

Other than "we will support it 3.0 but it is finite."

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Aldotsk - 12-23-2014

Does everyone remember when 1.0, people complained that nothing new was being added, but now we are complaining about how new stuffs are being added because of how they look?

I surely wanted a pony for Christmas, but Santa gave me a box of candy canes. At least the thought counts and I am damn satisfied. Candies for life.

(12-23-2014, 03:49 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: Does everyone remember when 1.0, people complained that nothing new was being added, but now we are complaining about how new stuffs are being added because of how they look?

I surely wanted a pony for Christmas, but Santa gave me a box of candy canes. At least the thought counts and I am damn satisfied. Candies for life.

But sometimes people enjoying things are wrong, so we have to destroy what they think is acceptable and speak down to them about why what they like is actually a problem.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Ashren Dotharl - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 02:46 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: For the record, assuming there are actually 2 million subscribers (there aren't, but there's no point being a stickler on this), you only need about 384 people to have a confidence level of 95(+/-5)%. Hell, for 95(+/-10)% you only need 96 people. Not that difficult.

I know I said I wasn't going to post in this thread anymore, but I just wanted to come in and point out how for as much as you want to try to make it seem like everyone on the internet hates the Au Ra based on your own cursory scan of posts and comments online (which you probably only went about looking for the negative ones anyways because they share your views), your own poll proves otherwise as the top two choices are "I like them" and "they're perfect."

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Zyrusticae - 12-23-2014

I wanted to bring up how the scales look so out of place on that smooth skin, and it hit me - there really should be more of a gradient between 'regular skin' and 'hard scales', with the scaly parts gradually growing finer until they dissipate into the skin instead of ending on a hard line.

As it is, they look like cosplay additions or something along those lines, not a natural part of their bodies.

(12-23-2014, 03:45 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Yes, I'm the one bringing ideology into this discussion. Still no rebuttal, though, I see. If you missed my point, it was nestled directly in between the parts of my post you deigned to reply to.
There's nothing to respond to. Of course SE has metrics. If this all works out for them then, wonderful, good for them.

That doesn't change anything at all about what I've said about underserved markets and the like.

(12-23-2014, 03:49 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: Does everyone remember when 1.0, people complained that nothing new was being added, but now we are complaining about how new stuffs are being added because of how they look?

They're not free. You're paying for them. Remember that.

(12-23-2014, 03:57 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote:
(12-23-2014, 02:46 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: For the record, assuming there are actually 2 million subscribers (there aren't, but there's no point being a stickler on this), you only need about 384 people to have a confidence level of 95(+/-5)%. Hell, for 95(+/-10)% you only need 96 people. Not that difficult.

I know I said I wasn't going to post in this thread anymore, but I just wanted to come in and point out how for as much as you want to try to make it seem like everyone on the internet hates the Au Ra based on your own cursory scan of posts and comments online (which you probably only went about looking for the negative ones anyways because they share your views), your own poll proves otherwise as the top two choices are "I like them" and "they're perfect."
Sure, the data has proven otherwise and I will own up to it. There's still a significant number of votes saying they should be more bestial, however, so I would think that that's an avenue worth pursuing (even just making scaled skin a character creation option would go a long, loooong way).

(12-23-2014, 03:57 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote:

You'd be surprised that rate is completely wrong since 2ch and JPN players are excited about Au Ra race. Niconico video comments were explosively excited about the new race. 

Again, it's Japanese players favors over Westerners. Since westerners are always grumpy a lot.

(12-23-2014, 04:06 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:

They're not free. You're paying for them. Remember that.

Excuse me, I'd like to at least hope that I was not pretending myself that I was Santa Claus to buy myself Candy Canes. I'd like to believe that Santa existed and gave me those amazing box of candies.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Clover - 12-23-2014

Looking at the bright side, the less people play the race, the more unique our characters will be! (Though I actually have the feeling that everyone and their mother is going to make an Au Ra. Tumblr will explode).