Hydaelyn Role-Players
Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] (/showthread.php?tid=10961)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - Chris Ganale - 04-05-2015

(04-05-2015, 11:18 PM)Telluride Wrote: Roegadyn tries killing you during a contest. Game refuses to let you fight back, and also refuses to let you do anything at all after to see that he gets what's coming to him.
Technically you can beat his ass, just as long as he doesn't die. I always do.

I do agree, though. Of my eight characters, Tahz is probably the only one who might have gone peacefully with the Blades. The rest would have slaughtered Teledji and his little mook troop right then and there. Especially Ganale. Accuse a loyal son of Ul'dah of assassinating the sultana, will you.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - Magellan - 04-05-2015

(04-05-2015, 11:18 PM)Telluride Wrote: Not one of my characters even will acknowledge that the MSQ EXISTS except as mandated by world-shaking and realm-forming events, ones that someone else must have brought about, of course.
I think I'll go with this. If I actually enjoyed the MSQ, I'm sure I'd be pretty gung-ho about rping along with it, but alas I do not. I've got one character who works for the Blades, and probably will not anymore, but the rest of my characters would be pretty unaffected/clueless anyway.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - Tiergan - 04-06-2015

Some updates are very easy to do this with. For this current one - almost all of my characters would be 100% unaffected and wouldn't really know much more than "Wow there's WAY more guards in Ul'dah than usual." and a few very minor tidbits.

Other ones like when the Domans arrived however, are a bit more far reaching. Especially when folks started making Doman RP characters. As long as you're okay with OTHER people using MSQ bits for character development, you can probably safely get away with your character not really being in the know about stuff until she actually literally runs into them in game (like a Doman! Or an Au Ra.)

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - Aya - 04-06-2015

If you're not right up to the edge of the MSQ, just play along! Unless you're involved in Ul'dahn politics ICly (which I doubt you are) or your character is particularly in-tune to the possibility of political and civil turmoil (Aya tends to be, out of a sense that when bad things start to happen generally, they often happen to people like her), you really don't need to worry about anything more than the most casual connection.

What do you do in real life when someone starts talking about news you haven't heard or don't care about? Now imagine putting your character in the same situation.

It shouldn't really have much of an impact.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - Dis - 04-06-2015

I have a couple of characters who will be influenced by the MSQ, but for the most part, everyone's going to be just going 'Huh. Well that happened', and going on about their business.  Conversely, I have a character who's much more impacted by what's going on in Ishgard than she is what's going on in Ul'dah.  

As far as the why of it, I pay attention to the MSQ because for the most part, I can't play in a bubble.  If I wanted to do that, I wouldn't play in an MMO, I'd play in a forum where I can dictate precisely where the storyline is at all times.  But in an active and moving world with a few thousand players at the very least, I can't expect current events in MSQ to not catch up to me, even if I'm behind the story.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - Warren Castille - 04-06-2015

(04-05-2015, 11:21 PM)Kalooeh Wrote: Always surprises me how much rp'ers whine about spoilers when you'd think they'd want to know about world events that may affect their character, either by learning of it by word of mouth (which really is going to happen at some point) or by it affecting them directly. You can't really rp if you're worried about spoilers before you can get to them unless you elect to do the content before you rp. Not fair to others if someone icly talks about something that has happened and you get mad at them or deny it happening because you havn't done the content yourself. Really makes no sense.

Not everyone has the luxury of infinite free time to be able to run through all of the content in the first 24, 48 or 168 hours of it being released.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - B'ren Lyrgh - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 08:06 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(04-05-2015, 11:21 PM)Kalooeh Wrote: Always surprises me how much rp'ers whine about spoilers when you'd think they'd want to know about world events that may affect their character, either by learning of it by word of mouth (which really is going to happen at some point) or by it affecting them directly. You can't really rp if you're worried about spoilers before you can get to them unless you elect to do the content before you rp. Not fair to others if someone icly talks about something that has happened and you get mad at them or deny it happening because you havn't done the content yourself. Really makes no sense.

Not everyone has the luxury of infinite free time to be able to run through all of the content in the first 24, 48 or 168 hours of it being released.
^ Pretty much that.

There's folks that wont be able to actually finish the content until the end of the month! Imagine that! There's usually folks that tend to wait quite awhile before taking events of the main story into account in their RP. It didnt all happen in one day, the patch quests that is.If someone doesnt wanna rp ___ being gone or ____ doing "THE BAD THING", then they don't have to.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - Meena - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 08:55 AM)B Wrote:

^ Pretty much that.

There's folks that wont be able to actually finish the content until the end of the month! Imagine that! There's usually folks that tend to wait quite awhile before taking events of the main story into account in their RP. It didnt all happen in one day, the patch quests that is.If someone doesnt wanna rp ___ being gone or ____ doing "THE BAD THING", then they don't have to.

But if people want to roleplay the content as they do it? they can. Because how the world is impacted is instant. If you're worried about spoilers, its going to be unavoidable. Even for a one player game it'd be unavoidable. All I can say is don't roleplay for a while to avoid it - and when you have caught up, roleplay with it.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - B'ren Lyrgh - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 08:59 AM)Meena Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 08:55 AM)B Wrote:

^ Pretty much that.

But if people want to roleplay the content as they do it? they can. Because how the world is impacted is instant. If you're worried about spoilers, its going to be unavoidable. Even for a one player game it'd be unavoidable. All I can say is don't roleplay for a while to avoid it - and when you have caught up, roleplay with it.
No one should be told that they shouldn't be allowed to RP something if they haven't caught up with it, because not everyone RP's with the entire server. I see your point, but sometimes folks just don't want to RP the entire MSQ at the very instant because it doesnt fit their way of progression vs RPing it out.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - MostlyAwol - 04-06-2015

I read this thread and everyone replying seems to be people who played since the game re-released or something. I just started playing this game little over a month ago. I'm just completed the level 30 MSQ and frankly it will be a lot longer if ever that I will complete the MSQ mostly because it requires raiding to complete. I will respect world changing events with expansions but things that are not shown in game but only in cut scenes I will have a hard time with. 

Please remember that not everyone you are RPing with are long time players who had the time and the means to play the MSQ through the current patch.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - Aya - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 11:05 AM)MostlyAwol Wrote: Please remember that not everyone you are RPing with are long time players who had the time and the means to play the MSQ through the current patch.
That's true, certainly! But if the question is "why do people incorporate the events of the MSQ into their RP", which I think is a fair restatement of the original question, I think we have covered that very well Smile

One of the ever-present problems with MMO RP is that not everyone is on the same basis in terms of world and story.  There's no GM to give the thumbs-up or thumbs-down or state objectively what your character knows about the world around him or her.  We all have our own tactics for dealing with such conflicts, but I think its fair to say that a fairly large swathe of the RP community here accepts the events of the MSQ (in terms of the major events at least) canon after a week or so of the story update, even if they themselves have not actually caught up (I'm included in that number myself).

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - Aduu Avagnar - 04-06-2015

some people join MMO's after the second or third expansion. Should people just not rp the events of those expansions, on the off chance that their RP partner is one of those people?

When the majority of a player base is already at the cusp, and they give a grace period, that should be enough. Yes, it can be annoying, but to ask everyone to cater to your own sense of progression when it is in the minority is more insulting than the majority refusing to.