Hydaelyn Role-Players
What do you love about the rp community? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: What do you love about the rp community? (/showthread.php?tid=12361)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - -no longer matters- - 07-01-2015

(07-01-2015, 11:11 PM)Vachir Toshin Wrote:
(07-01-2015, 11:08 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote: Probably going to make multiple posts in this thread but to start:

No RSP shaming.
Well RSPs don't exist in this MMO.
Still, it feels so good that I can go into a ls and not have to listen to someone blab about someone's RSP like they're shooting a 'People of Walmart' video.

What is RSP? :o
It's a "character sheet" add-on from other MMOs

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - Cailean Lockwood - 07-01-2015

(07-01-2015, 11:14 PM)War Siren Wrote:
(07-01-2015, 11:11 PM)Vachir Toshin Wrote:
(07-01-2015, 11:08 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote: Probably going to make multiple posts in this thread but to start:

No RSP shaming.
Well RSPs don't exist in this MMO.
Still, it feels so good that I can go into a ls and not have to listen to someone blab about someone's RSP like they're shooting a 'People of Walmart' video.

What is RSP? :o
It's a "character sheet" add-on from other MMOs

Ahhh. I used MRP (My-Role-Play) addon when I played WoW. ^^
Kinda miss that there isn't something alike in FFXIV, but making a wiki site on here is WAY better than what any such addon could do. I just put my character's wiki site URL in my search info, and voila! Big Grin

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - ArmachiA - 07-02-2015

(07-01-2015, 06:32 PM)Askier Wrote:
(07-01-2015, 03:34 PM)Tiergan Wrote:
(07-01-2015, 02:34 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: -snip-   I like that the server has no specific ruleset on RP or what it should be. RP is different for everyone and it means something different to everyone. ....And its nice, too, that most of these different groups can co-exist with very little drama on the game.

-snip-.

This is admittedly why I got a little anxious in things like the pet peeves thread or in other threads when it sort of feels like people might be veering towards "my-way-or-the-highway" / "you're doing it wrong" land, because it makes me worry that folks are bringing that old "everyone has to RP the same way FOR THE GOOD OF THE COMMUNITY" vibe over to FFXIV. ...

Umm, where was this attitude last year when several of us got slammed for running an rp event that was meant to be a large, fun thing and, instead, were accused that it threatened -server wide- consistent rp by an -elite- few?

Just saying, lets not forget the past so easily.  It was once policed.

Now if you want to say, it's nice how the community has -evolved- into a community that -now- allows people to have their own types of rp and acknowledges that all these different stories and types of rps are okay and can exist in the game, that I would agree with.

Community has become more open minded this past year, no doubts there.

To jump in, I was one of those "Elite" few, but it should be stressed that I was criticizing the decision on a forum where criticism should be -allowed-. I don't think I ever once said you need to stop doing it because I said so. Criticism of a thing is NOT telling someone to stop doing a thing. It got a lot of criticism from a lot of people, because a lot of people didn't agree. They are allowed to disagree. They are allowed to say they disagree in a public forum. You are allowed to ignore them.

If you put stories out there, expect people not to like them. And tell they don't. I run stories for my guild and get criticized a lot on different aspects of those stories. You take the criticism, decide if it's valid, and decide if you want to change your story. Criticism is NOT evil, we all need to stop treating it like it is. The evil comes from the part where people think you should change because of the fact they disagree.

EDIT: And Teirgan is right, server-wide events are a completely different bucket of oysters since they require people to agree on a specific ruleset - which I am of course against. That would need its own thread to be discussed.

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - Dis - 07-02-2015

Since I came to FFXIV in August of last year, I think the one thing that has stuck out the most for me about XIV is actually the community.  I can go anywhere on any of my toons, even Glioca, whose former "background" tends to turn people away a bit.  And I still have no difficulty finding people willing to role-play with me.  

Compared to some of the communities I've come from, this community has a lot of open-minded players, and it makes me glad to see that from the perspective of another player.  There's a niche for everyone.  It makes it easy for new players to try and jump into an interaction if they want to.  Coming from games like Rift and EverQuest II, where everything felt very closed off and segregated if you weren't part of so-and-so's crowd, that's fantastic to see.

The other thing I love about this place is what I see in the Quicksand, and I think Edgar mentioned it before.  The place feels alive.  I wish there was more open-world RP in other areas, but it's nice to just feel like I'm in a living world.  The interaction all over the place, even in Ishgard it's starting up, makes the world feel like it breathes and moves, and that's down to the community.

The other thing is that even if we don't like something, we're often willing to agree to disagree and keep moving and playing.  We don't let it slow us down, not to such a degree that it brings someone's RP to a grinding halt if they don't agree with someone else.

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - -no longer matters- - 07-10-2015

I think another thing I really love about the community is how alive they make the game feel, Ul'dah almost feels like a living breathing city because of the RP community which is just fantastic! 

(I still keep hping Square adds city apartments for those of us that don't want a full house, just a customizable room)

RE: What do you love about the rp community? - Griffith! - 07-10-2015

I love how in-depth people go. In a lot of the other MMOs I've RPed in - Matrix Online, City of Heroes, WoW, even FFXI - characters always seemed like asspulls, made up out of thin air everytime you RP. There was rarely any sense of consistency or resources to draw upon. Even if they had write-ups or character sheets, they were generally on fifty different websites, each one requiring different accounts and memberships just to read. Everyone around here, though, has thus far been much more consistent. There's a character wiki, and people you interact with are basically the same characters day to day without any of them suddenly developing sudden traumatic histories in the middle of RP.

I also like the focus on story-line and lore in the FFXIV community. I saw a ton of lore-breaking characters in Matrix, COH and WoW. Not so many on here. In fact, most people go out of their way to make sure they aren't breaking lore, which I think is pretty awesome.

And friendly? We've had some heated discussions in the weeks I've been a member, but nobody has started a flame war or gotten pissy about. It's a nice change from the horribly flammable communities I'm used to.

So I guess what I'm saying is, it's a maturity thing.

As for the RP itself... well, personally, i like that there's always some going on. I rarely have to look very hard to find some quick RP. It's all over the place - on Balmung anyway. The most common response to looking for RP on other servers is "Go back to Balmung."