Hydaelyn Role-Players
Thoughts about intersex (NSFW-ish discussion) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Thoughts about intersex (NSFW-ish discussion) (/showthread.php?tid=13319)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Thoughts about intersex (NSFW-ish discussion) - CrimsonMars - 09-08-2015

Woah, I really didn't intend to make this into a debt. I just ask how one might implement a dual-sex female (I don't know what other term I should use other than futanari) into a serious rp, though in retrospect, it also seems gimmicky tbh. I also thought it might make other players awkward and uncomfortable regardless, should they IC/OOC find out. Plus, if I am doing it for ERP, I'd just find people for it (even though it won't be canon).

We're all adults here (at least I hope). I appropriate it if you take the arguments into PMs if you have too. ^^;

RE: Thoughts about intersex (NSFW-ish discussion) - Ignacius - 09-08-2015

I don't think there's an awful lot of debate about the solution.  Just, technically speaking, it's probably not going to generate the mileage you want.  You can play whatever you want and there's nothing wrong with having a character be intergender or intersex, but RP being a social activity and genitalia not being traditionally on display for all to see in good company, it's not likely to be a "big deal" for many other characters.  We're talking about a lot of forethought for a one, maybe two, person payoff.

RE: Thoughts about intersex (NSFW-ish discussion) - Mercer - 09-08-2015

(09-08-2015, 10:21 AM)CrimsonMars Wrote: Woah, I really didn't intend to make this into a debt. I just ask how one might implement a dual-sex female (I don't know what other term I should use other than futanari) into a serious rp, though in retrospect, it also seems gimmicky tbh. I also thought it might make other players awkward and uncomfortable regardless, should they IC/OOC find out. Plus, if I am doing it for ERP, I'd just find people for it (even though it won't be canon).

We're all adults here (at least I hope). I appropriate it if you take the arguments into PMs if you have too. ^^;

Play what you want, enjoy the character however way you want and be as discreet about it as any rational person should. You'll be fine.

RE: Thoughts about intersex (NSFW-ish discussion) - Warren Castille - 09-08-2015

Concept could be handled gracefully and maturely and make for a compelling storyline that tackles challenging issues.

Conversely, the army of thirsty dickgirls in Ul'dah might blot out your signal with their noise.

RE: Thoughts about intersex (NSFW-ish discussion) - Diskwrite - 09-08-2015

Well, the answer to making this "serious RP," as you put it- I believe that lies in making this a character who happens to be intersex. You can't think of them being intersex as the center of who they are or how you play them. It's just another part of who they are, like the color of their hair or the shape of their eyes.

So my first suggestion is, relax about it. Let this just be an incidental fact about them rather than the center of how you think about it.

My second is to do your research.

First, look into how intersex tends to actually work in the real world. Intersex people do not tend to have both a full-sized penis and vagina. (It happens but it's pretty rare.)

Second, read what intersex people say about their own lives and how they prefer to be talked about, including what language they'd prefer to be used. (Remember that intersex people are not a monolith, and there will probably be disagreements amongst that community!)

Third, familiarize yourself with the non-cisgendered community in general- again, the language they use, how they talk about their own lives, what they say about things.

All this is very important to approaching this sort of thing respectfully, and I don't suggest cutting corners.

I know it seems daunting, so I'd start with Googling some 101 articles to give yourself a good place to start. I'd give you some recommendations, but I'm at work so I can't get at that stuff.

Don't hesitate at playing this sort of character because some people treat it like a fetish- as long as you aren't fetishizing it, then don't worry about it. Just because someone might assume it's an ERP character based on the fact that your character is intersex... well, they'd be in the wrong.

But if you decide to do it, I strongly advise doing whatever you can to do it respectfully. I see this as a responsibility, not an option, when it comes to this sort of thing. Bad representations of already sorely underrepresented group can be really harmful, so this is important!

Don't let it discourage you. I just want you to fully embrace the responsibility you're taking on if you do this. :3

RE: Thoughts about intersex (NSFW-ish discussion) - Hammersmith - 09-08-2015

(09-08-2015, 01:39 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Concept could be handled gracefully and maturely and make for a compelling storyline that tackles challenging issues.

Conversely, the army of thirsty dickgirls in Ul'dah might blot out your signal with their noise.

Yeah.  This is not the platform for respectful representation or understanding.  Much less education.

I'd firmly suggest -not- going to exploring this concept here in this context in this game with this crowd surrounding it.