Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP Discussion: Dimensional Hopping and You - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP Discussion: Dimensional Hopping and You (/showthread.php?tid=14306)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: RP Discussion: Dimensional Hopping and You - Lost River - 11-22-2015

Everyone in this game is a special snowflake to a certain degree; as are everyone else in the real world. I think the degrees of how one and two dimensional you go is what ends up ruining things. Fleshing out a character from concepts is a fun thing and the dimensional jumping can be done many ways; but as I said before, it is more common-place to be 'out of time' than dimensional jumping; especially when it comes to species of the characters.

RE: RP Discussion: Dimensional Hopping and You - kamikrazy - 03-31-2016

To be perfectly honest I don't see that much of a problem with it, but like being super strong, super handsome, super important super skilled, and super rich, it really falls into the category of "possible but lame."

Can you do it in the game story? Of course you can. It's totally possible. But if you do it, just like someone who is super rich, strong, liked, important and beautiful, there are people who are going to think your self-proclaimed special snowflake traits are lame and cheap. Every RPer has to deal with the consequences of what they choose to RP, and just always playing it safe to not offend anyone does not automatically mean you are doing things "right."

Like all things in RP, it all can boil down to presentation and usage. You could have a character who is perhaps from FFXI, but is so mentally scarred from the transfer process, that they can't or don't talk about it ever, and never reveal it. Never revealing it would still affect them, but in ways where the effects could be seen, not the cause itself, which could result in a deep character, and if you did finally reveal it at some point, other players who discovered it may be much more impressed with the reveal, enough to enjoy it.

It's a lot like being a dragon in the warcraft universe, if anyone has played that. 99% of people get it wrong because they just want to be strong, powerful, and beautiful. It's the 1/10,000 players who get it right, but when they do, they really do get it right, and you'll find a great character in there that's very memorable.

You would need to do a lot of meditating on what you want out of the character. If all you want to do is import your character from one game to the next ala Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2, its going to cost you the disdain of many players. If you are soft handed with it, subversive, and very unrevealing, to the point where revealing it is a direct circumstance you actively avoid, then you may earn the respect of many players.

Just my 2 cents.