Hydaelyn Role-Players
Monks of Othard? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Monks of Othard? (/showthread.php?tid=15174)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Monks of Othard? - Caspar - 02-11-2016

(02-11-2016, 04:30 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Seeing as how it gets brought up a few times, I figure I'd drop this relevant quote about Chakras:

Widargelt Wrote:The energy within us moves the fist. The chakra is the seat of that energy. It is a sacred place. It can be opened, and the life force within controlled. Chakra exists in all that lives - in all beings. Yet not all beings can open them. Much training is needed. And great discipline. With these, the life force can be commanded. There are those who require no training. Their inner strength is such that it forces the chakra open. I have heard of this happening. But never have I seen it - until now.*
*Another example of WoL doing things most normal people cannot.

This quote isn't to say that a Far Easterner couldn't control the aether within their body in ways similar to the monkhood, just that it takes a considerable amount of training, discipline, and knowledge of how these chakras work to open them, y'know unless you're the Warrior of Light. I think Oboro from the Ninja questline shows very well that Othardians aren't familiar with Eorzea's concept of Aether, but use it by another name to perform their own forms of magicks. A Ninja pulls aether from its environment much the same way a conjurer would, for example.

Oboro Wrote:We draw power from the world around us - the heaven, the earth, the hearts of man - and channel this power into physical form. I am told that this is similar to your concept of ay-ther, was it?

So a martial artist manipulating aether into their technique is not without precedence in the Far East.
He specifies it as training, but I do not see that as essentially saying it is exclusively a concept within FoR, only that very rarely does someone train hard enough to do so, and even more rarely is someone innately talented enough to do it on their own untrained. But this does raise questions of who can do it and who can't, thank you for posting that. It might be interesting to tease out what degree of suffused aether is sufficient to unlock a chakra, but since the amounts are abstractions it's not certain from what I can tell.

As for Edric, I'll address that when I get home, but the main gist of what I'm going to say (spoilers) is that again, a lot of assumptions are being made based on thematic preference being represented as fact. I'm much more concerned with ruling out things that are plainly established cannot happen rather than things that are unlikely or "unrealistic." I mean, as far as you can take that among laser-beam shooting monks.

Show Content

RE: Monks of Othard? - Melkire - 02-11-2016

I do want to point out that the Fist of Rhalgr were an order of monks out of Gyr Abania that were commonly associated with Ala Mhigo. That order is no more; it was wiped out shortly prior to the Empire invading, conquering, and annexing Ala Mhigo. For any character to be considered a disciple of the Fist, they'd have to be middle-aged and have been present in Gyr Abania roughly twenty cycles (years) ago in order to have been trained by the Fist.

Erik specifically refers to Widargelt as a "monk of Ala Mhigo". Widargelt refers to himself as a "brother of the monkhood" and states that his "order is the Fist of Rhalgr". He later speaks "of the monkhood and the Fist." There's a clear distinction there.

All war-priests and disciples of the Fist of Rhalgr were monks, but not all monks are war-priests or disciples of the Fist of Rhalgr. It's fairly obvious from the 30-50 MNK quest dialogue that the Fist were but a single order of monks. That there are or were more orders that we are currently unaware of is quite likely, and that in itself implies that there could be monks not native to Gyr Abania or Ala Mhigo, even if they aren't known as "monks".

RE: Monks of Othard? - Sounsyy - 02-11-2016

(02-11-2016, 05:13 PM)Caspar Wrote: He specifies it as training, but I do not see that as essentially saying it is exclusively a concept within FoR

Nor did I? I think I said as much just after the quote?

(02-11-2016, 05:14 PM)Melkire Wrote: Erik specifically refers to Widargelt as a "monk of Ala Mhigo". Widargelt refers to himself as a "brother of the monkhood" and states that his "order is the Fist of Rhalgr". He later speaks "of the monkhood and the Fist." There's a clear distinction there.

I'd never noticed this before so I went digging and found a few instances where this occurs. But, in each of those occurrences, the speaker goes on to use the monkhood and the Fists as interchangeable. Which has me wondering... what is the distinction? The only thing I could really think of was that there was the monkhood, or multiple sects part of the monkhood, but only those who had finished their training and were given the Soulstone were considered Fists of Rhalgr. Thoughts?

Widargelt Wrote:I am not angered. He tried to sway me from my path. He believes resistance will only leave more dead. I expected as much from him. I feigned understanding. He asked much of me. Of the monkhood and the Fist. He asked of the seventh chakra.

See, there's that separation again... but now look at this text later from the same quest:

Widargelt Wrote:Yours is a great strength. Unite it to ours, sister. Help us reclaim our home. Your efforts will be rewarded. Look upon my garments. This is the war garb of the monkhood. It attunes to its wearer. It empowers the chakra. Enables it to realize its full potential. The cloth is imbued with the power of Rhalgr. Only monks of his Fist may don it. Only those who overcome many trials. You need not enter the Fist. I require you to speak no vows. I ask only that you fight. Give yourself to our cause.

The above makes it sound like the monkhood and the Fists of Rhalgr are one in the same. Another example:

Erik Wrote:The monks and the Fist of Rhalgr are interesting in the same way as any other organized relgion - a sad, pathetic, and humorous way. The brothers and sisters of the monkhood are those souls training in the service of Rhalgr, god of destruction among the Twelve. The Fist of Rhalgr is their order.

Here it is again, and then at the end of that same quote, it says "their" as in the monkhood's order is the Fist of Rhalgr. So they're separate but the same? Which leads me to believe in the higher echelons theory.

Widargelt Wrote:This is a soul crystal. It is the mark of my order. Only those in the monkhood may carry it. It is given to novices upon completion of their training. But I have witnessed your transformation. You are ready. Take it. Many bore that crystal before you. It remembers them. Their breath and their movement. They will one day be yours. But your chakra must open further. Only then can the crystal's memories enter you.

Idk...

RE: Monks of Othard? - Caspar - 02-11-2016

It might be the Fists of Rhalgr are the elite among the monks. I admit it's not a distinction I thought about much. Or it could be explicitly the militarized element of the monks, like the distinction between a buddhist priest and the Ikko-Ikki.

RE: Monks of Othard? - Melkire - 02-11-2016

That there is some sort of distinction seems plain to me, given that last statement from Erik that Sounsyy quoted. "The Fist of Rhalgr is their order". So I'd say yes, probably a militarized organization or something along those lines. You could be trained as a monk but would likely still need to be inducted into said order. I mentioned "war-priests" earlier because I recall reading something from over on the Official Forums that described the Fist as a very religious and militarized order/sect/organization/what-have-you.

As a sidenote, found this tidbit for monk/pugilist lovers while poring through relic quest dialogue to find out whether Ivon Coeurlfist was of the Fist.

Gerolt Wrote:Accordin' to the writer, the Sphairai ain't no ordinary weapon.

Apparently, they're tools for tappin' a monk's “chakra”─whatever the hells that is─throwin' open the floodgates...or summat.

Buggered if I know how it works. But I do know the fists need some crystals embedded in them.

Eh? Chakra's the aether what courses through yer body, ye say?

Interesting confirmation that there are some aetherial / metaphysical / physical aspects to chakra, and that chakra basically describes internal aether and/or associated internalized processes.

To wrap back around onto the original topic: aether-wielding martial artist is a go. The likelihood of an Othardian Fist is rather low, an Othardian monk in the Ala Mhigan sense somewhat more likely, an Othardian pugilist quite possible so long as pugilism isn't a specific style exclusive to the Ul'dahn guild (which it doesn't seem to be, but I can see arguments for it).

EDIT:

Found it. Info dump from Erik, apparently.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/39515-Want-Lore-History-Here-you-go!-(Possible-Spoilers)

"It was thought that all versed in the ways of the chakra were lost... But then what of this Widargelt simpleton? Just who is he? Perhaps the end of the Fist was not the end of the monks after all."

RE: Monks of Othard? - Yssen - 02-11-2016

(02-11-2016, 07:17 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(02-11-2016, 05:13 PM)Caspar Wrote: He specifies it as training, but I do not see that as essentially saying it is exclusively a concept within FoR

Nor did I? I think I said as much just after the quote?

(02-11-2016, 05:14 PM)Melkire Wrote: Erik specifically refers to Widargelt as a "monk of Ala Mhigo". Widargelt refers to himself as a "brother of the monkhood" and states that his "order is the Fist of Rhalgr". He later speaks "of the monkhood and the Fist." There's a clear distinction there.

I'd never noticed this before so I went digging and found a few instances where this occurs. But, in each of those occurrences, the speaker goes on to use the monkhood and the Fists as interchangeable. Which has me wondering... what is the distinction? The only thing I could really think of was that there was the monkhood, or multiple sects part of the monkhood, but only those who had finished their training and were given the Soulstone were considered Fists of Rhalgr. Thoughts?

Widargelt Wrote:I am not angered. He tried to sway me from my path. He believes resistance will only leave more dead. I expected as much from him. I feigned understanding. He asked much of me. Of the monkhood and the Fist. He asked of the seventh chakra.

See, there's that separation again... but now look at this text later from the same quest:

Widargelt Wrote:Yours is a great strength. Unite it to ours, sister. Help us reclaim our home. Your efforts will be rewarded. Look upon my garments. This is the war garb of the monkhood. It attunes to its wearer. It empowers the chakra. Enables it to realize its full potential. The cloth is imbued with the power of Rhalgr. Only monks of his Fist may don it. Only those who overcome many trials. You need not enter the Fist. I require you to speak no vows. I ask only that you fight. Give yourself to our cause.

The above makes it sound like the monkhood and the Fists of Rhalgr are one in the same. Another example:

Erik Wrote:The monks and the Fist of Rhalgr are interesting in the same way as any other organized relgion - a sad, pathetic, and humorous way. The brothers and sisters of the monkhood are those souls training in the service of Rhalgr, god of destruction among the Twelve. The Fist of Rhalgr is their order.

Here it is again, and then at the end of that same quote, it says "their" as in the monkhood's order is the Fist of Rhalgr. So they're separate but the same? Which leads me to believe in the higher echelons theory.

Widargelt Wrote:This is a soul crystal. It is the mark of my order. Only those in the monkhood may carry it. It is given to novices upon completion of their training. But I have witnessed your transformation. You are ready. Take it. Many bore that crystal before you. It remembers them. Their breath and their movement. They will one day be yours. But your chakra must open further. Only then can the crystal's memories enter you.

Idk...

I see what you are saying about the interchanging nature of the terms, Soussy. Might be a bit of a text tease for the Shadow sect? Although I cannot think of why Widargelt would make the distinct separation with no prior knowledge of them. It is possible he is referring to the Monkhood to include trainees, but he doesn't call his new trainees Monks in the post 60 stuff, does he? It does seem to point to the fact that the monkhood is more than just the fists. We'll probably have to wait until the lvl cap is 70 to find out exactly what that means.

Slight edit - I just noticed that the third quote puts a distinction between novices and the monkhood in the area of soul stones. So... yeah, not inclusive of trainees so much.

RE: Monks of Othard? - Caspar - 02-12-2016

(02-11-2016, 08:13 PM)Melkire Wrote: That there is some sort of distinction seems plain to me, given that last statement from Erik that Sounsyy quoted. "The Fist of Rhalgr is their order". So I'd say yes, probably a militarized organization or something along those lines. You could be trained as a monk but would likely still need to be inducted into said order. I mentioned "war-priests" earlier because I recall reading something from over on the Official Forums that described the Fist as a very religious and militarized order/sect/organization/what-have-you.

As a sidenote, found this tidbit for monk/pugilist lovers while poring through relic quest dialogue to find out whether Ivon Coeurlfist was of the Fist.

Gerolt Wrote:Accordin' to the writer, the Sphairai ain't no ordinary weapon.

Apparently, they're tools for tappin' a monk's “chakra”─whatever the hells that is─throwin' open the floodgates...or summat.

Buggered if I know how it works. But I do know the fists need some crystals embedded in them.

Eh? Chakra's the aether what courses through yer body, ye say?

Interesting confirmation that there are some aetherial / metaphysical / physical aspects to chakra, and that chakra basically describes internal aether and/or associated internalized processes.

To wrap back around onto the original topic: aether-wielding martial artist is a go. The likelihood of an Othardian Fist is rather low, an Othardian monk in the Ala Mhigan sense somewhat more likely, an Othardian pugilist quite possible so long as pugilism isn't a specific style exclusive to the Ul'dahn guild (which it doesn't seem to be, but I can see arguments for it).

EDIT:

Found it. Info dump from Erik, apparently.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/39515-Want-Lore-History-Here-you-go!-(Possible-Spoilers)

"It was thought that all versed in the ways of the chakra were lost... But then what of this Widargelt simpleton? Just who is he? Perhaps the end of the Fist was not the end of the monks after all."
This is very interesting. It's too bad we don't know more about Ivor. It would probably shed light on a lot of things discussed here, lol.

I think the introduction to Pugilism says that the style used in the guild was created by a gladiator named Cordelia from Ul'dah, and so while pugilism seems to me to be a generic term, there is a specific local style of pugilism that came out of Bloodsands matches, though I dunno how that interacts with the whole debt collectors for the Platinum Mirage part of their history.

That being said the Garleans have martial artists in their military, so while the game uses PGL as shorthand for their fighting styles, whatever they study, it probably wasn't the same as what's taught in Ul'dah. It seems pretty likely similar traditions of unarmed fighting exist elsewhere in the world.

RE: Monks of Othard? - Josuke - 02-12-2016

Oh man..thank everyone so much for the breakdown here! Big Grin

Aether-wielding Martial Artist is a GO! as Melkire said.