Hydaelyn Role-Players
Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument (/showthread.php?tid=15541)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Melkire - 03-25-2016

I don't know why this is still questioned.

The level 50 to 60 GSM quests deal almost exclusively with you crafting a music box for a client. That's in-game lore. That's not something from a Hildibrand quest, it's not funny mail text referencing prior Final Fantasy titles, it's not "you shell out gil for aetheryte expenses even when you teleport to Anyx Trine".

There are canonical music boxes crafted by goldsmiths in Ul'dah.

Audio recording and playback exist, canonically, within the FFXIV 'verse. Within Eorzea, even, without any magitek or Garlean or Allagan technology.

...now, if the question is, "are the exact tracks, the ones we get to play as background music via the Orchestrion, canon?" then the answer is probably "no" with a possible "unless they are dissociated in-universe from their corresponding places and events out-of-universe" caveat.

Exceptions goes to silliness such as PA PAYA, PA PA PA PA PA PA PA PA PAYA~

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Ramen - 03-25-2016

Since a lot of these tracks are coming from faded, worn scrolls that are being refurbished by crafters then I guess it could be plausible? Seems to me it is just "Hey I found an old music thing. Put it through your music box and see what it plays!" Audio playback devices were being made already. The Orchestron could just be a device made to play back this dusty old shit people keep finding around Eorzea.
Who knows what period they come from. Though I imagine Allagans were into some industrial.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Kellach Woods - 03-26-2016

(03-25-2016, 10:21 PM)Melkire Wrote: ...now, if the question is, "are the exact tracks, the ones we get to play as background music via the Orchestrion, canon?" then the answer is probably "no" with a possible "unless they are dissociated in-universe from their corresponding places and events out-of-universe" caveat.

Exceptions goes to silliness such as PA PAYA, PA PA PA PA PA PA PA PA PAYA~

I blame that atrocity on the Homunculi. That is the only track I can genuinely think of that they could have composed and has this universal appeal enough to make them as popular as they are said to be in the game.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Faye - 03-26-2016

Papaya is canon and I will fight all of you.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Kellach Woods - 03-26-2016

IT'S ALL CANON ON THIS BUS.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Jana - 03-26-2016

Those who don't consider Papaya canon will be first against the wall.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Momo - 03-29-2016

I consider the Orchestrion canon, but unfortunately that means the 3D sound is also canon, not sure how I feel about that part....very realistic, but OOCly...yeah.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - FreelanceWizard - 03-29-2016

It's not too bad in a small house, depending on where you put it. We have ours at the bottom of the stairs facing upwards so it fills the whole house pretty effectively. I feel for people with large houses, though...

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Gabineaux - 03-30-2016

(03-29-2016, 02:28 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: It's not too bad in a small house, depending on where you put it. We have ours at the bottom of the stairs facing upwards so it fills the whole house pretty effectively. I feel for people with large houses, though...

I have one chair in front of the fireplace where I can hear the music well through both sides of my headphones. Aaaaayy... /whimper

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Paradox - 03-30-2016

Pa paya is love, pa paya is life.

We also have a small house, so you can hear it pretty much anywhere. Been trying to get more rolls for it, I has a poor. Angry

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Shoshopu - 04-28-2016

They talk about orchestions and orchestrion rolls in Lorecast 7!! I thought of this thread and thought it was probably relevant.

How do Orchestrion rolls work? Rather, what are these songs to the adventurers within the game? Do they hear the music during their fight with the Primals for example? Who is playing or singing it? Is this the Minstrel’s doing?

KF: You know how they work mechanically, it’s kind of like a player piano; that’s why they have the rolls. You’ve got the parchment with the holes punched it in and you put it into the orchestrion and it plays the song based on where it hits the holes. Are we hearing them in battles? Nooo. It’s not some special effect of the Echo. Lore-wise, there are bards and minstrels and there is this wandering composer. He hears these stories about adventurers and their grand battles and he composes music. The music that he thinks up is on the orchestrion roll.

F: And they just happen to turn up in a treasure chest in the Navel.

KF: A lot of people like music in Eorzea. Not everyone has a place to put their orchestrion rolls. So it’s like, “I’ll just put it in this chest here! It’ll be safe!” and then some adventurer comes along and steals it and it’s like, “Oh, no, where’s my orchestrion roll!?” <laughs> “I tilled fields for three seasons to afford that!”

A: That’s what I joke about whenever armor is moved around. How does Darklight end up in this dungeon!? You know, people bought it from Rowena… and then they went out to raid these dungeons and… they died. <laughs>

KF: And then a monsters comes along like “Grrr. Adventurers leaving crap all over my dungeon…”

F: “I’ll just collect it in this neat little pile, put it in this chest, clean up a bit.”

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Guns Blazing - 04-29-2016

I think it can be quite easily explained as a musical interpretation of events that transpired. It happens all the time in the real world, after something major occurs. For example, you got all these songs popping up about starting revolutions when the revolution in Egypt occurred, and shortly thereafter when America was teetering on the brink of a possible revolution, as well. It got close enough that there were meetings with upper-level military officials to discuss what would happen if that did go down. Then, all these songs about it popped up. Think of it like that. The WoL defeats titan? The magitek nerds make a tribute to what they think slaying titan might sound like, from an artistic approach. Consider the songs as musical tales of exploits done by the WoL and other famous heroes. This has been a constant theme throughout the history of music. It's typically inspired by current events. And remember... This game is far more steampunk than it is fantasy. So, some of the music you may think is out of place cuz it doesn't suit a Tolkien world could very well exist.

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Kellach Woods - 05-02-2016

(04-29-2016, 08:32 AM)Guns Blazing Wrote: I think it can be quite easily explained as a musical interpretation of events that transpired. It happens all the time in the real world, after something major occurs. For example, you got all these songs popping up about starting revolutions when the revolution in Egypt occurred, and shortly thereafter when America was teetering on the brink of a possible revolution, as well. It got close enough that there were meetings with upper-level military officials to discuss what would happen if that did go down. Then, all these songs about it popped up. Think of it like that. The WoL defeats titan? The magitek nerds make a tribute to what they think slaying titan might sound like, from an artistic approach. Consider the songs as musical tales of exploits done by the WoL and other famous heroes. This has been a constant theme throughout the history of music. It's typically inspired by current events. And remember... This game is far more steampunk than it is fantasy. So, some of the music you may think is out of place cuz it doesn't suit a Tolkien world could very well exist.

No need for that, we already have a derp that loves reinterpreting the WoL's adventures so that they sound ten times more badass (and difficult).

RE: Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument - Shoshopu - 05-02-2016

(05-02-2016, 07:47 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(04-29-2016, 08:32 AM)Guns Blazing Wrote: I think it can be quite easily explained as a musical interpretation of events that transpired. It happens all the time in the real world, after something major occurs. For example, you got all these songs popping up about starting revolutions when the revolution in Egypt occurred, and shortly thereafter when America was teetering on the brink of a possible revolution, as well. It got close enough that there were meetings with upper-level military officials to discuss what would happen if that did go down. Then, all these songs about it popped up. Think of it like that. The WoL defeats titan? The magitek nerds make a tribute to what they think slaying titan might sound like, from an artistic approach. Consider the songs as musical tales of exploits done by the WoL and other famous heroes. This has been a constant theme throughout the history of music. It's typically inspired by current events. And remember... This game is far more steampunk than it is fantasy. So, some of the music you may think is out of place cuz it doesn't suit a Tolkien world could very well exist.

No need for that, we already have a derp that loves reinterpreting the WoL's adventures so that they sound ten times more badass (and difficult).

[Image: aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg]

I mean, that's exactly what Koji-Fox described anyway.